HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Millencolin (music)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 02:36 AM
  #1
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Millencolin (music)

Hey guys!

Greetings from Boston. Sorry didn't know where else to post to a strictly Swedish audience. Millencolin has been my favorite band for over a decade. When I was 13, I picked up one of their old CDs on hearing a track and liked it. Since then, they have consistently been my favorite band. Just wanted to hear some Swedes thoughts on them and what their popularity is there. Thanks!

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:05 AM
  #2
Dosing
Registered User
 
Dosing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ivösjön
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,428
vCash: 500
Never heard about them before your post, just searched on them on youtube and trying to figure out the genre. Is it pop-rock or punk-rock maybe? Either way i think it would be a very small select group of swedes who listen to this kind of music.

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:31 AM
  #3
1978
Registered User
 
1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
Never heard about them before your post, just searched on them on youtube and trying to figure out the genre. Is it pop-rock or punk-rock maybe? Either way i think it would be a very small select group of swedes who listen to this kind of music.
Some would label them skate-punk, some would label them punk rock, and some would label them pop-punk. In truth though, they are probably a mixture of all three. Overall, they are a decent band, but I can't say they've been all that big in Sweden, except for a couple of years where they had some hits. From what I gather, they've been pretty popular abroad though, and they are signed to quite a good music label, Epitaph Record, which is owned by Brett Gurewitz, who plays guitar in Bad Religion.

1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:14 AM
  #4
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Some would label them skate-punk, some would label them punk rock, and some would label them pop-punk. In truth though, they are probably a mixture of all three. Overall, they are a decent band, but I can't say they've been all that big in Sweden, except for a couple of years where they had some hits. From what I gather, they've been pretty popular abroad though, and they are signed to quite a good music label, Epitaph Record, which is owned by Brett Gurewitz, who plays guitar in Bad Religion.
Exactly. I grew up going to punk and ska shows so that's where it took off for me. One of the first bands I saw actually was Bad Religion. I know they are big abroad and had heard that they were more developed in other areas of the world than in Sweden. I know Australia has a big following as well as South America. Here in the states they aren't big except with diehard fans. Orebro boys and two of 'em are excellent skateboarders.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:17 AM
  #5
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post
Never heard about them before your post, just searched on them on youtube and trying to figure out the genre. Is it pop-rock or punk-rock maybe? Either way i think it would be a very small select group of swedes who listen to this kind of music.
I figured as much. I know when they play in their hometown their shows sell out so quick but I didn't know about their popularity otherwise. They are really a combination of those two things. Skate Punk is how they were originally thought of solely because they have such a skateboarding background. They've been on Burning Heart/Epitaph for a long time and have always been one of the more respected bands around. They do alot of their own songs in Swedish too.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:42 AM
  #6
Harks
Registered User
 
Harks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Malmö
Country: Sweden
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
No Cigar is a really good song. Saw them once at a festival, decent liveband. If you would ask 20-30 year-old swedes I think most would know of them. Any range outside would probably have no clue, except punkers. Got my eyes on them playing Tony Hawk on PS1 long time ago! Which was also the the introduction to some Bad Religion songs.

Harks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:49 AM
  #7
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,154
vCash: 500
Ah, this brought back memories. One of my favorite bands growing up. Seen them live plenty of times as well, they come from Örebro that is an hour drive from where I live/lived. Was very much in to punk, ska, hardcore etc when I was a teenager. Still am but not in the same way.

Among my friends back then Millencolin was a very popular band but I dont hear about any one listening to them now.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:58 AM
  #8
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Ah, this brought back memories. One of my favorite bands growing up. Seen them live plenty of times as well, they come from Örebro that is an hour drive from where I live/lived. Was very much in to punk, ska, hardcore etc when I was a teenager. Still am but not in the same way.

Among my friends back then Millencolin was a very popular band but I dont hear about any one listening to them now.
Same. Music tastes develop and expand and I've branched out quite a bit but I always come back and go on a kick for a while. As teenager I skateboarded alot so it was a marriage of the two things for me.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
  #9
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Same. Music tastes develop and expand and I've branched out quite a bit but I always come back and go on a kick for a while. As teenager I skateboarded alot so it was a marriage of the two things for me.
Was a punk rocker my self, but in a small town all the misfits stuck together, skaters, punks and metal heads.
I listen to a very different kind of music today, even do it has to have a soul and most likely a dirty touch. But it is always nice to get nostalgic and what better way then to listen to a band called Millencolin

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
  #10
svartgul
Hata Löven
 
svartgul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Beyond the Infinite
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,426
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
@Dosing Maybe you were to young to remember the '90s but Millencolin were pretty big in Sweden during that decade when skate-punk used to be relevant. I used to like Millencolin up until around 10 years ago when they switched to pop music. And all the cats and dogs I've ever met are smarter than Corey and Trevor.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:36 PM
  #11
nudie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
Used to listen to them when I was 13-14, I've seen them at a festival a few years ago but it's mostly a blur

nudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:24 PM
  #12
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
@Dosing Maybe you were to young to remember the '90s but Millencolin were pretty big in Sweden during that decade when skate-punk used to be relevant. I used to like Millencolin up until around 10 years ago when they switched to pop music. And all the cats and dogs I've ever met are smarter than Corey and Trevor.
MOST cats and dogs are smarter than Cory and Trevor

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:48 PM
  #13
Hybbe
Registered User
 
Hybbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,203
vCash: 500
They used to be one of my favorite bands back around the time of Tiny Tunes and Life on a Plate. Listening to them now brings back a lot of memories, don't care much for nostalgia, but some of their melodies makes me feel like the young tween/teen skater I once was.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
  #14
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing
 
Propane Nightmares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 48,578
vCash: 500
I only know the song No Cigar from Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

__________________
That's why you have to read everything I post
Everything I post is important and informative
IF you're going to be that negative and ignore it you're mijssing out on knowledge. I drop knowledge proper good
- ixcuincle
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:25 PM
  #15
KennyPowers9
Registered User
 
KennyPowers9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Göteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Oh Millen I listened to them all the time around 2005.. from Lozin must ; My favorite hockey team is strugglin'
It makes my stomach bubblin' bad - guess theyre feeling better now since Örebro hc is pretty descent nowadays

KennyPowers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:46 AM
  #16
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go
 
Cory Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brockton
Country: United States
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers9 View Post
Oh Millen I listened to them all the time around 2005.. from Lozin must ; My favorite hockey team is strugglin'
It makes my stomach bubblin' bad - guess theyre feeling better now since Örebro hc is pretty descent nowadays
Must be strong....Can't be wrong!

I've always wanted to visit Orebro. I've wanted to visit Sweden regardless as it's one of the countries I've yet to visit but that town in particular because of Millencolin.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:08 PM
  #17
Camshaft77
Registered User
 
Camshaft77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
wow I loved Millencolin when I was younger. I have been listening to them since the 90'S. Home From Home is still one of my favourite albums.

Glad to see there are others around that enjoy their music.

Camshaft77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:40 PM
  #18
Telecaster Fanatic
Registered User
 
Telecaster Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Huddinge
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
I love early Millencolin, Life On A Plate is amazing.

Telecaster Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.