HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign, recall D Steven Oleksy

Old
03-05-2013, 05:38 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What a waste of a contract slot. And for three years!?!

Have Green and Orlov on the mend, and Wey coming after the BC season ends. Not sure the need to sign a useless depth RD.
I can name at leat 5 players in our system that are more of a waste of the contract slot. Stevenson, Anderson, Hamrlik, Schultz, Paquette, Sjogren, Clackson, LeBlanc. That's 8. I'd rather have Oleksy under contract than any of them.

Great signing, I thought about that one two days ago.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:46 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
God damn infractions, 2 people using Hendy face avatars, I was going to use it...

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Another fighter is never a problem.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:30 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
+1 call up Mitchell and get more crazy in the lineup.

Anyone think George watched that B's game last night?

I think it should be an unwritten rule in hockey, that if you are the worst team in the league, you have to ice a bunch of goons so at least the fans of tough hockey may be enticed to pay to see your lame duck team. I was always surprised how weak our 1970's teams were. Poor Yvon Labre. I dont know jack about Ole but suspect he was also inked for 3 years in part because he is a RH shot, and there is clearly a shortage of them in George's eyes.
Gord Lane and Bryan Watson

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:57 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Green and Orlov on the mend is wishful thinking...

I like that George is acquiring RD's via Hershey and smaller deals and not so much forking out a 2nd + at the deadline for one with warts.

@Ref Lane and Watson were just middle weights IIRC. We had Rissling Henderson Mulvey, but given the nature of the league during the 70's I am surprised we didn't ice more tough guys to protect our stars... ok nevermind.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:29 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

This is Tyler Sloan with some toughness, and minus the "Olympic" skating. Terrible signing at 3 years.

I'd have no problem with a one year contract.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:44 AM
BobRouse

Good signing.

The people who believe toughness is important will like this signing. The ones who don't won't.

Chances are if you like the Erskine contract and Volpatti waiver claim you will dig this.

Chances are if you think the Wolski signing was a low risk good maneuver with potential you will hate this.

The usual suspects will take their usual sides. I'm with you RH.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Good signing.

The people who believe toughness is important will like this signing. The ones who don't won't.

Chances are if you like the Erskine contract and Volpatti waiver claim you will dig this.

Chances are if you think the Wolski signing was a low risk good maneuver with potential you will hate this.

The usual suspects will take their usual sides. I'm with you RH.
False.

I like toughness. I don't like 27 year-old career minor-leaguers getting more than 1-year deals.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:51 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
False.

I like toughness. I don't like 27 year-old career minor-leaguers getting more than 1-year deals.
A two way contract thats minimum or close to it? I call shenanigans. Don't want to go to the thread..what was your take on the Erskine signing? I can only remember the usual suspects that liked it like me, RH and a couple others.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
A two way contract thats minimum or close to it? I call shenanigans. Don't want to go to the thread..what was your take on the Erskine signing? I can only remember the usual suspects that liked it like me, RH and a couple others.
Didn't like the money, but wanted Erskine extended.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:08 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I don't see how anyone may have a problem with this signing. We have a lot of AHLer becoming FAs this summer, and Oleksy is better than a lot of them. His contract is two-way... what's the problem?

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:15 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I don't see how anyone may have a problem with this signing. We have a lot of AHLer becoming FAs this summer, and Oleksy is better than a lot of them. His contract is two-way... what's the problem?
It takes up a contract slot for 3 years and he had absolutely no leverage. More than likely, he'll be an NHL washout. Just another example of giving fringe players too much money and/or term.

And there are a lot of AHLers that become FAs every year. That shouldn't ever be taken into consideration when building the NHL team. Leave that up to Yingst.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I don't think the contract slot is an issue for next year but two years from now maybe it is. Probably not given the lack of picks in '10 & '11 entering the system. Clearly they really like the player beyond what he brings on the ice. He's a heart and soul guy that will be a strong AHL presence with potential spot call-up duty.

Currently they're at 23 players signed for next year with 11 RFAs & 14 UFAs (incl. two pending Group VI UFAs). The 23 includes Forsberg & Wilson who may or may not ultimately count. There's likely to be considerable off-season turnover in Hershey and they have plenty of room left for multiple college FA signings given the lack of draft pick signings to come. Wey should be signed and maybe Soberg/Kostenko. That's about it I'd think as far as picks.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I can name at leat 5 players in our system that are more of a waste of the contract slot. Stevenson, Anderson, Hamrlik, Schultz, Paquette, Sjogren, Clackson, LeBlanc. That's 8. I'd rather have Oleksy under contract than any of them.

Great signing, I thought about that one two days ago.
Six of those eight contracts expire after this season. One of the two that don't we took on in a trade. I still see absolutely no reason to give Oleksy three years.

Quote:
False.

Bingo.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:47 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Maybe that 3 year contract will give George piece of mind; he won't worry about losing him on waivers. It may afford him the ability to recall him the next two years for two games a year, and not risk losing a player he covets for the org. No one took a waiver on Sloan.

Maybe he wants to send a statement to all prospects in the organization, if you are willing go to war for me, I will reward you with a big fat 3 year contract. One cannot easily gauge how this will affect the other prospects. Maybe Mitchell ups his game, or Hendricks. Or maybe our dmen.

George made a statement. At least he isn't a pansy that is completely one dimensional.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
g00n
abides

A low-cost d-man with toughness and NHL experience on a 2way contract should not be hard to TRADE if contract slots become limited.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
A low-cost d-man with toughness and NHL experience on a 2way contract should not be hard to TRADE if contract slots become limited.
Unless he can't handle the NHL level, in which case he will be impossible to trade, a la Tyler Sloan.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:28 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Unless he can't handle the NHL level, in which case he will be impossible to trade, a la Tyler Sloan.
In which case he stays in Hershey, where he's proven he can hang, for another 2 years and you trade someone else on the bubble to free up a contract IF all the stars align and this exact worst case scenario becomes reality.

Not saying this is a great move, just that it's not the huge handcuff some seem to think it is.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:31 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Some fans put a far lower value on toughness and its importance than others. Plain and simple. If you value toughness than this roster spot and two way contract is chicken feed and a bargain. If you don't like toughness you will look for a reason to not like this contract. Sorry Wiz. I can see through you on this one.

Great signing to me and its taken GMGM FAR TOO long to realize how soft this team has been on the backend for years. Didnt GMGM let Engelland walk? Didn't he let Oduya walk?

Outside of Erskine he has not brought in one single tough (or what I consider tough) Dmen since Witt left. That last move before that was trading for Jason Marshall at the TDL the year before we got Jagr and he barely played at all.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
In which case he stays in Hershey, where he's proven he can hang, for another 2 years and you trade someone else on the bubble to free up a contract IF all the stars align and this exact worst case scenario becomes reality.

Not saying this is a great move, just that it's not the huge handcuff some seem to think it is.
Well, possibly being forced to trade someone else due to a completely unnecessary contract term is a pretty bad situation to be in.

What's wrong with signing him to a one year deal to see if he can hang and then extending him if he can?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:34 AM
bags92

Can't say I hate it. I really know nothing about the guy but he's going to bring toughness to the lineup and he can only be so much worse than Poti and Schultz.

bags92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Well, possibly being forced to trade someone else due to a completely unnecessary contract term is a pretty bad situation to be in.

What's wrong with signing him to a one year deal to see if he can hang and then extending him if he can?
Who's to say GMGM isn't talking trade right now, and this isn't a sign-and-trade situation where the other side wanted the guy at a certain dollar amount for a certain term? Or maybe GMGM knows something you don't about what the market will bear for a guy at that rate and on those terms?

Not that I'm a big GMGM supporter, but we don't have all the info yet. And if he's been decent at one thing, it's fleecing other GMs (though he sucks at dealing with agents). This could be either. And it would be nothing new.

We have a "superstar" on a 13 year contract that pays him more than anyone else in the league, and he's struggling to crack the top 30 in goals. Why are you so worried about this minor deal?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:43 AM
g00n
abides

Plus, GMs are "forced" to trade players for various reasons all the time. Few GMs, if any, have the luxury of total flexibility and unlimited time and cash in all their dealings.

Old
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I worry that this has more to do with him being a right shot than anything... I guess we'll see.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The 'superstar' at least earned his contract.

This deal reiterates how GMGM can be leveraged by nobodies in contract negotiations. It limits the organization's future flexibility for no good reason. If Oleksy was actually coveted by any other team, he'd have been signed already.