HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Penguins interested in Jack Johnson | CBJ brass takes in PIT/TB game 3/4

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Stats don't tell the whole story. A top-six winger has been the biggest need of ours since the start of the season. Cooke, Boychuk, Kennedy, even Tanner ****ing Glass has been given a chance on the top 6.
You're in luck. Jack Johnson is essentially a top six winger...

Old
03-05-2013, 03:46 AM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

Not gonna happen

Old
03-05-2013, 04:48 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Probably Niskanen +1st + TK for JJ and maybe Umberger?

Speaking of JJ, the guy is 6'1" and 231lbs Either he's built like a truck or he's on that Penner diet.
JMFJ is built like a brick ****house.

I think the deal you proposed might work for both teams, but Columbus could get more for JJ and Umby elsewhere.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:08 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
JMFJ is built like a brick ****house.

I think the deal you proposed might work for both teams, but Columbus could get more for JJ and Umby elsewhere.
Umberger's value isn't as high as one would think. I think he came back too quickly from a concussion.

But yeah, I don't see the two teams trading any time soon. I think Tampa & Columbus end up making a deal instead. The Bolts have a couple of youngsters that are looking good in the NHL like Killorn and Conacher and they could probably move Connolly (or Panik+) for Johnson and get some help on the blueline like they badly need, maybe even make a play for Mason in the process.

Connolly + Garon + 2nd for Johnson + Mason

Old
03-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post

I mean honestly...it's evident you know nothing about the players the Pens have drafted lately so why comment at all? You make yourself look bad. Ignored.
Name an impact player Shero has drafted? You got Jordan Staal, who was the 2nd overall pick which is kinda tough to screw up (Toews and Giroux picked after fwiw) and ??????. The Penguins do have a nice prospects system now, but Shero really hasn't added anybody to Penguins team yet. And until the prospects have success on the Penguins, it is not wrong to question Shero's drafting.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:11 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Why would Columbus trade Johnson? They would have to get back Neal or someone of that caliber back in any deal.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Name an impact player Shero has drafted? You got Jordan Staal, who was the 2nd overall pick which is kinda tough to screw up (Toews and Giroux picked after fwiw) and ??????. The Penguins do have a nice prospects system now, but Shero really hasn't added anybody to Penguins team yet. And until the prospects have success on the Penguins, it is not wrong to question Shero's drafting.
Despres is a regular, Beau was only sent down because Malkin is back and they waived Boychuk to create a spot for him. So far, Despres is playing like a guy that belongs.

And Shero didn't screw up the Staal pick, 2009, there is no Cup without Jordan Staal and his hard work matching up against the other team's best, pk ability, and the games where he stepped up when Sid & Geno were held in check.

There are a lot of Pens prospects that are in College as well, actually, a lot (9 players are currently in College, 2 are likely leaving and heading to WBS when their seasons are over).

But guys that were drafted by the Penguins that are on the roster currently:

Crosby
Malkin
Letang
Kennedy
Vitale
Orpik
Fleury
Bortuzzo*
Jeffrey*
Despres*

* - Shero drafted (you could make it 11 when Beau is called back up, him being down is a technicality at best)
Flyers have how many? 6? Holmgren became the GM for the 2007 draft, right? How many that he's drafted are on the team right now? Couturier, Rinaldo & McGinn.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:42 AM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

If Rossi is reporting the sky is blue, you should still look out the window to double check. As Honour Over Glory pointed out, it's far more likely that CBJ was there looking at someone from the Pens. My guess would be Jeffrey, but there have been some rumors that TK may be on the block.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
2005:
Crosby: How about getting me a wing.
Patrick: Dude, we got you covered. Ever hear of Ziggy Palffy? All yours man.

2006:
Crosby: About that wing? Malkin got Malon.
Shero: Colby Armstrong. I’ve got you covered man.

2007:
Crosby: Wing!?
Shero: OK this time I really do have you covered. Just traded for Hossa and I am going to sign him for life!

2008:
Crosby: What the **** man?
Shero: His name is Pascal Dupuis. You are going to love him, trust me.

2009:
Crosby: I am really going to hurt you.
Shero: Have I ever told you that Dupuis is French Canadian?

2010:
Crosby: I mean seriously, a huge kick in the balls.
Shero: They call him Super Duper.

2011:
Crosby: You gave Malkin James ****ing Neal?
Shero: Super Duper looks kind of like a puppy dog with those droopy eyes, doesn’t he? How can you not like puppies?

2012:
Crosby: Shero? Finally a wing.
Shero: Yes, his name is Jack Johnson. Well not exactly a wing. He is your buddy right?
*the sound of Crosby kicking a baby can be heard in the background*
2009 should be..(well wait, does it count as 2009? I guess).

Crosby: Well?
Shero: I got you Kunitz!

Old
03-05-2013, 05:45 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I would be interested in Prospal as a rental. I would also like R.J. Umberger, we could use his size and scoring in the top 6. The guys turns it up in the playoffs also.
You could be on to something (in theory anyway) with Propsal. CBJ board has been wondering if perhaps JD and Jarmo would 'Tkachuk' Vinny (trade him away and re-sign him in the summer). Prospal had a 'gentelamn's agreement' with Howson to continue to play on one-year contracts until he decided to retire, at which time he would move into a position with the organization. But given the CBJ is 'under new management,' we're been speculating as to what could happen there.

And of course RJ is from the Pittsburgh area, so that makes some sense as well.

And while we have a track record from JD/Jarmo, we really have no idea what they might be thinking. Maybe they don't see JJ in the same light. Maybe Pens are interested in Johnson, and Jarmo figured why not at least chat with his buddy Ray and see wherther there's anything there. Or maybe they're just hanging out?

Old
03-05-2013, 05:55 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
You could be on to something (in theory anyway) with Propsal. CBJ board has been wondering if perhaps JD and Jarmo would 'Tkachuk' Vinny (trade him away and re-sign him in the summer). Prospal had a 'gentelamn's agreement' with Howson to continue to play on one-year contracts until he decided to retire, at which time he would move into a position with the organization. But given the CBJ is 'under new management,' we're been speculating as to what could happen there.

And of course RJ is from the Pittsburgh area, so that makes some sense as well.

And while we have a track record from JD/Jarmo, we really have no idea what they might be thinking. Maybe they don't see JJ in the same light. Maybe Pens are interested in Johnson, and Jarmo figured why not at least chat with his buddy Ray and see wherther there's anything there. Or maybe they're just hanging out?
Not sure about Prospal. Guerin was putting up better #'s (38 at the time too) and Shero traded a 3rd rounder for him. I wouldn't give up Dustin Jeffrey for 38yr old Prospal.

It was a conditional pick too, that Bill play 50% of the Pens games in the 1st round and they make it past the 1st round, only then the Isles got that 3rd in 2009.

Bill put up 36pts in 61 games.
Prospoal has 12pts in 22 games, with that ppg pace, he's on pace for 33pts in 61 games.

I wouldn't mind Prospal, but only if it's a conditional pick again. This time, 2nd round pick if Prospal plays 50% of the Pens 1st 2 rounds. If they are out in the 1st round, 3rd.

Just going off Shero's track record.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:55 AM
Brooklanders*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I hope Columbus doesn't trade him.

Have no idea what single piece would be enticing enough from Pittsburgh. They could make a package offer but why would Columbus do that? They need to get better players, not more of them.
IM thinking Pouliot, Maatta, and high picks

Old
03-05-2013, 05:56 AM
TSA0402

I don't get Jack Johnson to Pittsburgh in their current situation. Prospal or Umberger makes more sense at the deadline.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:59 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Problem is Columbus absolutely doesnt need more defensive prospects. They are already looking to make space for Moore/Erixon/Murray/Savard/Goloubef.

edit : That sounds odd based on the last point, but JMFJ is a 25-30 minute anchor on CBJ right now and should be the last guy leaving. You can debate his ability till you are blue in the face, but that is a fact.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:59 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Like I mentioned before, Rossi the epic clown that he is and a huge JJ fanboy, thinks the Pens want Johnson. It wasn't the Pens scouting the Jackets, it was the Jackets management scouting the Penguins.

They want something from the Penguins, so people acting all "what would they want from the Pens?" crap need to calm themselves down. Jarmo was there to watch the Pens vs Bolts.

It could also be that he was there to watch the Bolts as well and not just the Penguins. JJ would make sense on a lot of teams, sure, but it wouldn't for what the Pens would have to give up to get him. But hey if Jarmo is in Pittsburgh, then he wants something from us, usually in that case, the leverage is in the other guy's favor when he has what the other wants.

People have no understanding of this here, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Problem is Columbus absolutely doesnt need more defensive prospects. They are already looking to make space for Moore/Erixon/Murray/Savard/Goloubef.
And there is no way the Pens are giving up that kind of package for Johnson. So yeah, again, it makes zero sense and people took a loud mouth's rumor and went with it like it's 100%.

How often does this happen?

Team A scouts Team B.

Suddenly, Team B wants something from Team A...?

Usually, Team A, who is there to scout Team B, wants something from Team B and loud mouth reporter gets all excited and hopes it for a player he's a huge fan of and has the means to throw out a rumor.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:26 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
I would absolutely love to have Jack Johnson, but I can't even begin to speculate what the package would look like. Columbus is already rich in defenseman prospects like the Penguins, so that means guys from the main roster (AKA Despres).

Despres ++ for Johnson.

Can't help but think that would be nothing more than a lateral move (Long-Term) other than the fact Johnson would finally give us our PP Quarterback. Despres has shown signs of being able to stick in our top-4 plans for the long-haul. I still like the idea of Johnson, so I could get behind the idea of trading Despres, but depending on what the ++ is.

It's coming from Rossi though... so...
You don't give up Despres ++ for Johnson. Johnson isn't a needed guy in Pittsburgh. He is another puck mover, which we don't need. Defensively, Johnson isn't good. He doesn't help. Why the fascination with him? If you make a deal, you trade for a winger to go with Sid and move Dupes to the third line.

Letang and Despres look good when paired together. Heck, you could easily argue Despres is better defensively than Johnson right now.

This is nothing more than a rumor triggered by a hack. Shero isn't this stupid. So if JN visits Pittsburgh the next home game can I say the Penguins are interested in Jamie Benn? See I can do it too. At least Benn would make sense. Johnson doesn't.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:35 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I don't get Jack Johnson to Pittsburgh in their current situation. Prospal or Umberger makes more sense at the deadline.
Prospal will get a chance on a contender, he deserves it.

I'm willing to bet he'll be traded on the cheap pretty soon.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
mpp9

I could see the Pens moving Despres for a more proven top 4 option. Johnson certainly isn't a defensive ace, but pairing him with Letang sure would make for a dynamic duo.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

It's possible since the new GM just may not be as high on JJ as the former GM but I don't see Pittsburgh being a good fit. Maybe I'm wrong though. Pens could use a veteran defender but I'm thinking more of a stay at home guy than what JJ is.

Prospal is possible as a rental.

Umberger makes sense if Columbus would eat a bit of the cap hit.

I've always loved Derrick Dorsett. I'd imagine he's a lot like Engelland or Vitale to the Pens where he's worth more to his current team than he is in trade but I wonder what Columbus would want for him. Pens could use his grit even though him and Neal don't exactly get along .

Old
03-05-2013, 06:39 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Stats don't tell the whole story. A top-six winger has been the biggest need of ours since the start of the season. Cooke, Boychuk, Kennedy, even Tanner ****ing Glass has been given a chance on the top 6.
When you have 18M tied up in your 2 top centers, chances are you are going to have to go bargin hunting to fill out most of the other 10 spots, either that or have a really bad defense/goaltending. Add to the totals Neil and Kunitz are 8M more to the cap, I don't see how the Penguins have that much more room to fit in a high priced forward(other then trading for one every year at the deadline who is set to be a UFA).

Old
03-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
If Rossi is reporting the sky is blue, you should still look out the window to double check. As Honour Over Glory pointed out, it's far more likely that CBJ was there looking at someone from the Pens. My guess would be Jeffrey, but there have been some rumors that TK may be on the block.
Targeting TK strikes me as far more plausible. Our RW depth has been pretty abysmal. TK for a Tkachuk Prospal rental, maybe?

BTW, Dorsett is extremely unlikely to be moved. Again, RW depth not so great, plus he has pretty high value to this team.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Old
03-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
It's possible since the new GM just may not be as high on JJ as the former GM but I don't see Pittsburgh being a good fit. Maybe I'm wrong though. Pens could use a veteran defender but I'm thinking more of a stay at home guy than what JJ is.

Prospal is possible as a rental.

Umberger makes sense if Columbus would eat a bit of the cap hit.

I've always loved Derrick Dorsett. I'd imagine he's a lot like Engelland or Vitale to the Pens where he's worth more to his current team than he is in trade but I wonder what Columbus would want for him. Pens could use his grit even though him and Neal don't exactly get along .
Brassard probably isn't a fan of Neal's either. But yeah, I don't want to speculate what the Pens would want from the Jackets until I find out what Jarmo was there scouting.

The Jackets need help everywhere, throw a dart, they need help there. Getting Bobrovsky probably means they won't tinker with goaltending, at least not until the off season or whenever, but yeah...if Shero is after a veteran defenseman, I'd rather he went after Regehr for cheap or someone like that, but I think we got our vet in Eaton and he looks good for a shortened season and really, that's all we need him for.

So as it stands, Pens needs are probably a coach that re-watches the 2008-09 playoffs and realizes what worked and a rental/solution to the top 6 LW.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
When you have 18M tied up in your 2 top centers, chances are you are going to have to go bargin hunting to fill out most of the other 10 spots, either that or have a really bad defense/goaltending. Add to the totals Neil and Kunitz are 8M more to the cap, I don't see how the Penguins have that much more room to fit in a high priced forward(other then trading for one every year at the deadline who is set to be a UFA).
Pens have the cap next year to add someone that makes around 4.5-5m/yr. Looking around the league at guys that make that much and their production, that's a top 6 winger. Even if Shero misses on Iginla and Perry, I would hope he went after Horton, who at 3.5m/yr for a couple of years isn't a bad option and re-sign Kunitz. We have some kids that are going to be leaving College soon and Beau's not half bad either. Cap wise, the team isn't dying.

And bargain hunting? Really?

Kunitz is with Sid.
Neal is with Geno.

That's two 60+ wingers, Beau is seen as a potential top 6 guy next year, Dupuis will slowly be back down to a bottom 6 player and that leaves 1 spot.

Production wise, Pens have 17m tied up in Sid & Geno, production? 59pts.
Just for an example: Rangers have 20+m tied up in Richards, Nash, and Gaborik, production? 43

You want to make it 20ish for the Pens too? Throw in Kunitz, then it's 87pts.

Getting bang for your buck means more. When you are paying that much to 2 players, they better be the best in the game. It just so happens, they are.

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 03-05-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Chevrier

If the Blue Jackets wanted to show that they're favorite thing to do is bring in players and then trade them off a year later, they try to move JJ then. If they want to show some stability in a franchise that seemingly has been spinning its wheels, well they keep him. Every time players have previously played with each other, in comes someone saying that they want to again based on that. If the NHL was a boys club like that and not a business, well, maybe I could think of it as plausible, otherwise total HFBoards proposal.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
2005:
Crosby: How about getting me a wing.
Patrick: Dude, we got you covered. Ever hear of Ziggy Palffy? All yours man.

2006:
Crosby: About that wing? Malkin got Malon.
Shero: Colby Armstrong. I’ve got you covered man.

2007:
Crosby: Wing!?
Shero: OK this time I really do have you covered. Just traded for Hossa and I am going to sign him for life!

2008:
Crosby: What the **** man?
Shero: His name is Pascal Dupuis. You are going to love him, trust me.

2009:
Crosby: I am really going to hurt you.
Shero: Have I ever told you that Dupuis is French Canadian?

2010:
Crosby: I mean seriously, a huge kick in the balls.
Shero: They call him Super Duper.

2011:
Crosby: You gave Malkin James ****ing Neal?
Shero: Super Duper looks kind of like a puppy dog with those droopy eyes, doesn’t he? How can you not like puppies?

2012:
Crosby: Shero? Finally a wing.
Shero: Yes, his name is Jack Johnson. Well not exactly a wing. He is your buddy right?
*the sound of Crosby kicking a baby can be heard in the background*
The Pens is in the bottom half of the league in GA while leading the entire league in scoring and not to mention getting smacked last year by Philly's offense. Crosby has absolutely no problem scoring no matter who he plays with. Yet people keep crying for the Pens to trade assets to get Crosby a winger....

Closed Thread