HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Goodbye Weiss

Old
03-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
If Shore and Bjugstad are our top 6 centers next season, we're not going to make the playoffs. I don't think that's how it will be. Tallon will bring in somebody, they may not even be as good as the old Weiss, but somebody to insulate Shore and Bjugstad. If they exceed expectations, then that's a good thing.

I think if Bjugstad makes the team, he probably starts out at wing. I don't see why we couldn't sign someone like Bozak to a reasonable deal. I think the only exception is if we draft MacKinnon. He'd probably be penciled in as the #1 center.
Sometimes I hate that we agree completely on everything like this Seriously, I think we are gonna look at a guy like Bozak who can slot down a line if Bjugstad develops properly and turns into a servicable #1 center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
No. Management has made it clear they don't want to put rookies in the line-up right away, especially not on the top line right away....
Thats not completely true though. They said they would prefer to develop players but the right talent could be in the lineup right away. MacKinnon could be seen as that type of player if the team feels he could withstand the physical side of things immediately.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Soooo.. Drouin this year, then McDavid the year after.. That should be enough youth to compete :-P

Huberdeau-McDavid-Drouin :-D

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
The problem with Horton, much like the problem with Weiss, is not what he was, but what he wasn't. He wasn't a difference maker - wasn't a star - wasn't a special player.

I'm not arguing that a better trade couldn't have been made, but I don't think these Panthers would be a substantially better team with Nathan Horton on it. Getting Bjugstad, Rau & Racine in exchange is certainly not something to sneeze at. Campbell needed to go - as one of DeBoer's favorites, he always seemed to get ice time that exceeded his performance on ice. He is currently 2-2-4 (minus 3) and is another player who simply does not make a difference.

I can understand your criticisms and I like the fact that you look at things with a jaded eye. Certainly not all of Tallon's moves have been golden. On the other hand I think you tend to gloss over a lot of the deficiencies and problems with previous regimes. (i.e. ignoring the fact that DeBoer treated Ellerby in the same fashion... pointing out that Martin drafted Markstrom in 2008 but neglecting that he traded the first round pick (#10) and 2 seconds for Vokoun and drafted Ellerby/Repik/Dadanov in the 2007 draft)

It makes me wonder if you are simply trying to be a contrarian rather than engage in meaningful discourse.
This! Very well said.

In response to Ellerby, again, he didn't do it. He didn't edge out Strachan, who shouldn't have been a threat, instead he made Ellerby expendable. There's no way around that.

03-05-2013, 08:06 AM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
Soooo.. Drouin this year, then McDavid the year after.. That should be enough youth to compete :-P

Drouin doesnt play on the right side... he's a C/LW with a left-handed shot

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
No. Management has made it clear they don't want to put rookies in the line-up right away, especially not on the top line right away....
I have no doubt Huberdeau would of played last year, but the only thing holding him back was his weight/size.

Mac has the size to start right away.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
I have no doubt Huberdeau would of played last year, but the only thing holding him back was his weight/size.

Possibly..... I see it as they want the rooks in SA for a year before coming up to the NHL. Guds and Huby both played a yr in SA before making the jump and it will probably be the same way for whomever we pick this year unless its like the 1st overall pick, then the player would probably come straight to the Panthers...

Old
03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Possibly..... I see it as they want the rooks in SA for a year before coming up to the NHL. Guds and Huby both played a yr in SA before making the jump and it will probably be the same way for whomever we pick this year unless its like the 1st overall pick, then the player would probably come straight to the Panthers...
Nope neither played in San Antonio. Both just went back to juniors for 1 additional yr. Both were sent back to juniors for specific reasons (Guds needed to work on his offensive game and Huberdeau needed to gain some more strength). If we end up with MacKinnon, no matter what slot he's selected, he could make the jump right away. Keep in mind that Tallon drafted Patrick Kane and he was in the lineup right away. The org harping on development is because some players just aren't elite and for them to be difference makers in the NHL, they need time to work on deficiencies. MacKinnon is an elite player and will most likely be in the NHL next yr, regardless of what team selects him.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Huby never played in San Antonio and Guds was supposed to start the season there due to the lockout. He did play two games there for conditioning. And Mac would be too young to play there so he'd either start here or go back to Halifax.

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Nope neither played in San Antonio. Both just went back to juniors for 1 additional yr. Both were sent back to juniors for specific reasons (Guds needed to work on his offensive game and Huberdeau needed to gain some more strength). If we end up with MacKinnon, no matter what slot he's selected, he could make the jump right away. Keep in mind that Tallon drafted Patrick Kane and he was in the lineup right away. The org harping on development is because some players just aren't elite and for them to be difference makers in the NHL, they need time to work on deficiencies. MacKinnon is an elite player and will most likely be in the NHL next yr, regardless of what team selects him.
This. For players like Shore, Bjugstad, Robak, Petrovic etc, guys who can become top 6/4 players, over time, I'm sure Tallon wants to develop them properly in the college ranks/AHL to improve their game.
For guys like Huberdeau, (any top 3 pick this year), they can start almost right away and produce.
IF we pick Mac, Jones, Barkov, (add someone I forgot), I believe they will be given a good chance to play right away because they have that "it" factor over the former listed players.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Drouin doesnt play on the right side... he's a C/LW with a left-handed shot
Just sayin... :-p

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:15 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

Quote:

McDavid is two years away. Its Ekblad/reinhart next year

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:37 AM
CanadianPanther
One Patient Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post

Ya Tallon said in an interview that he saw Huberdeau get crushed in a pre-season game against Dallas last year. He felt another year to bulk up would definitely help. The kid needs to eat more, if he could reach 190-200lbs, that would be a decent weight for him.

Bjugstad also has the size to start right away and hopefully he can be a Panther next year.

CanadianPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:00 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Season ending wrist surgery.

Quote:
Steve Goldstein @goldieonice
Dale Tallon announces Stephen Weiss will have season ending wrist surgery. #FlaPanthers

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Season ending wrist surgery.
hurt during fight?

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:54 AM
pens87jets7fan
Keaton Ellerby fan

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
hurt during fight?
i have no clue. but from the sounds of it Weiss isn't a huge loss this year :/

pens87jets7fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Badger Mayhew

Hey Florida fans, can somebody sum up how Stephen Weiss is as a hockey player for me? I've heard very conflicting opinions about him.

Badger Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:30 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Huby never played in San Antonio and Guds was supposed to start the season there due to the lockout. He did play two games there for conditioning. And Mac would be too young to play there so he'd either start here or go back to Halifax.

-ghoste
Right... I'm sry, I meant they played with their respective CHL teams.... I mixed up SA and their CHL teams.... the point is they didn't play in the pros their first yr after getting drafted.....

Old
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Just sayin... :-p
lol

Old
03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Like i said a couple of replies ago... I mixed up SA and their respective CHL teams.... I meant they played with their CHL teams for a 1yr, they did not start with the Panthers right after getting drafted

Old
03-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Right... I'm sry, I meant they played with their respective CHL teams.... I mixed up SA and their CHL teams.... the point is they didn't play in the pros their first yr after getting drafted.....
MacKinnon is one the same level as Tavares, Stamkos, etc. Like Coolburn said, he'll be in the NHL next season no matter who drafts him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Knightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Mayhew View Post
Hey Florida fans, can somebody sum up how Stephen Weiss is as a hockey player for me? I've heard very conflicting opinions about him.
In the past, he was a very reliable 2-way center who consistently was able to put up 50-60 pts per year. He's been our 1st line center for years but would slot much better as a 2nd line center. He's always played with heart and demanded to stay/ rebuild with the Panthers, while others such as Horton asked to be traded. Many thought he should have been the obvious choice for captain.

This year, however, he's been utter garbage and a real waste for us. Played with no passion and was very disappointing...either he really fell off this year, or was playing with some sort of injury all along. It's hard to say.

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote