HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

$2.4B estimated HRR for 2012-13 (despite lockout)

Old
03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I completely agree with the article -- the NHL should shorten its season. Playing in October is a complete joke in the vast majority of the US -- even in its best hockey markets. You have the MLB playoffs going on and the NFL season is well under way. It makes complete sense to wait until the end of the MLB postseason before starting the NHL season. Personally, I think they could also end the season earlier to ensure that we are not playing hockey in June, which strikes many as kind of silly.
You realize that basically no one pays attention to the baseball playoffs, right? And that the NFL is pretty much 1 day a week?

There are probably good arguments for not starting in October. But neither of these are.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Swarez

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
You realize that basically no one pays attention to the baseball playoffs, right? And that the NFL is pretty much 1 day a week?

There are probably good arguments for not starting in October. But neither of these are.
NFL is now 3 days a week. Sunday/Monday/Thursday.

I doubt the NHL will change because of the Canadian market- we expect hockey in the fall. NFL is big here, but not like the US, baseball is semi big, but playoffs seem like an after thought. Plus it gets huge ratings from day 1, personally I would rather have the NHL end in May then start in November.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:51 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

Football gets attention all week long. No one pays attention to the baseball play-offs? That is a ridiculous statement.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:52 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
NFL is now 3 days a week. Sunday/Monday/Thursday.

I doubt the NHL will change because of the Canadian market- we expect hockey in the fall. NFL is big here, but not like the US, baseball is semi big, but playoffs seem like an after thought. Plus it gets huge ratings from day 1, personally I would rather have the NHL end in May then start in November.
They are not worried about the Canadian market. They know ratings will be strong in Canada regardless when they start. They are worried about the US market.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
popo

I belive the NHL gets the full TV contract payment, rather than a pro rated amount lost in the lockout. So aren't the HRR inflated a bit for the shortened season?

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:05 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:

What do you mean by no one pays attention to baseball playoffs?

I'm probably biased because I'm living in St. Louis, which is a crazy baseball town; plus the Cardinals have been doing well the past couple seasons.

But baseball ratings, while stagnating / falling and small compared to the NFL, is still enormous compared to the NHL. Baseball is still the second most popular sport in the US. To have the start of the NHL regular season compete with the MLB playoffs is a bit of a joke. It's similar to having the start of the MLB regular season compete with the NBA and NHL playoffs. Plus, hockey and baseball fanbases seem to have more overlap than hockey and basketball fanbases.

Also, as mentioned by others, football is not merely one night a week; it's three, plus coverage all-week long. The NFL season is part of the reason that the NHL makes the bulk of its money after Christmas. The other part being that its the stretch of the season leading to the playoffs.

But yes, there are other reasons as well for starting the season a bit later.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-05-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Not needed
saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Not a surprise and I wouldn't look at it to be a massive increase either. Just like when David Stern "Projected" $5 Billion for the NBA. (An $800 million increase from their 2010-2011 season) The increase in revenue (Proportionally) is due to a shortened and much more hyped and anticipated season. Less games mean higher ticket prices, more ratings, etc.

That's not to say the revenue isn't going up, it is. But not nearly at as quick of a rate as this would imply.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Football gets attention all week long. No one pays attention to the baseball play-offs? That is a ridiculous statement.
Uhh, the MLB's World Series ratings have plummeted in the last 30 years.

Their following is very localized. Seems as if people watch their teams and their teams only. Once their team is gone, they stop.

Their audience also skews to the older demographic much moreso than the other three major sports.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Uhh, the MLB's World Series ratings have plummeted in the last 30 years.

Their following is very localized. Seems as if people watch their teams and their teams only. Once their team is gone, they stop.

Their audience also skews to the older demographic much moreso than the other three major sports.
Yet with all the doom and gloom their revenue is going through the roof.

ScottyBowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBowman View Post
Yet with all the doom and gloom their revenue is going through the roof.
Which doesn't have jack **** to do with their national TV ratings. Try again.