HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Franchise Hockey Manager 2014

Old
03-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
Starting a season with Montreal Canadiens.

Michel Therrien isn't the head coach, and a lot of their staff doesn't have any stats.

And I can't seem to hire an Head Coach. But I can hire scouts / asst. coach
You take the GM/Coach role when you take over the team, so Therrien and Bergevin lose their jobs. At one point it was going to be one job or the other, but that got cut for the sake of simplicity. You can delegate some of the responsibilities to the computer, though, if you want to focus on either aspect.

The staff ratings aren't done yet - staff has a big role in player development, so we deliberately didn't start editing those details yet. That way, we can make sure that development's working OK with neutral (on average) staff values before we add another variable to the mix.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Suggestion: List all "good" positions in the postion column on rosters. E.g. if a guy is a 20 LW and 19 RW list him as "LW/RW" or something, or maybe just "W".
It's supposed to be doing that, but isn't. Any position above 15 should show up like. One for the bug list.

Quote:
Seems not to take in to account "skill" positions as players move up in leagues. E.g. most forwards who make it out of juniors into the NHL played C in juniors, but many transition to the wing in the bigs. Jeff Skinner for instance.
It'll get more like that as the new replacement players filter in every year; it's a little tough to enforce in the starting database. The new players will start with a single good position, then that'll change depending on how they're used - position ratings will go up as they're used in that spot, and can eventually bump the '20' rated position down so there's a new 20.

And the results of playing out of position aren't as harsh as EHM - it only affects certain attributes (e.g., defensive read ability) and not ones that wouldn't really be affected by playing out of position (e.g., skating or faceoff skills.)

Old
03-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
I thought pre-order was 20$USD?
Nope, US$29.99.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Bought the Beta...you can tell this will be a great game but it is not there yet. Gonna continue testing it, since I love hockey sims and have the patience for that, but will not recommend it to my friends until the release since it is so buggy and they will dismiss it if I give it to them now. Cant get past 2 week of the season right now due to bugs...
Fair enough, that's pretty much the response we're expecting - the hardcore will jump in now and help us shake things out so we've got something really great by September. I've been trying to be as up-front as possible about all the stuff that's missing and broken at the moment, so nobody goes in now expecting a perfect experience and gets turned off the game when it's not there yet.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Ruki

Does advancing a day take awhile for anyone else?

Also, how do you watch the games unfold? I haven't figured that out, haha.

Ruki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Zombie Mike Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
The new players will start with a single good position, then that'll change depending on how they're used - position ratings will go up as they're used in that spot, and can eventually bump the '20' rated position down so there's a new 20..)
Still not sure what's going on with Skinner then. He's been listed as a winger by the canes practically from the beginning. Might just be a database issue. It has him also as a 20 center and like 17/15 on the wings, when in fact he struggled as an NHL center.

While we're talking Canes DB issues, it also has Alex Semin as only a 3-star player, with like 13/20 Shot and 12/20 Playmaking.

Last edited by Zombie Mike Murphy: 03-04-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Still not sure what's going on with Skinner then. He's been listed as a winger by the canes practically from the beginning. Might just be a database issue. It has him also as a 20 center and like 17/15 on the wings, when in fact he struggled as an NHL center.
The NHL position ratings right now are mainly based on actual use last year, so that's why he's got 20 first. That'll change as they get fine-tuned.

Quote:
While we're talking Canes DB issues, it also has Alex Semin as only a 3-star player, with like 13/20 Shot and 12/20 Playmaking.
I think that's mainly down to flaws in the way the simplified scouting ratings convert the attributes. Shot's probably low because he's got a short shooting range, but shooting range isn't a qualitative measure, it's a literal indicator of how many metres out he typically shoots from. So the formula that creates the "Shot" rating out of the shooting range and accuracy attributes is flawed. Doesn't actually affect anything he does in-game, it's just an informational item for the player.

Playmaking is stranger, I can't think of an obvious reason for it being that low. I'll have to get Sebastian to check that one.

Mike and I specifically discussed Semin last week, the plan was great skill ratings and lousy mental ones. Looks like he's done that, the game just isn't drawing an accurate picture of what his individual attributes add up to.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruki View Post
Does advancing a day take awhile for anyone else?

Also, how do you watch the games unfold? I haven't figured that out, haha.
Look on the league schedule for the day you're playing, there'll be a "Play" button on your team's game. Fair warning, it appears to be super-buggy right at the moment, and people are getting stuck in endless overtime games.

Old
03-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
So far every trade in the NHL that has been made has included a 4th round pick.

EDIT: Not buggy for me so far, but a couple interesting decisions like the Blues trading Patrik Berglund for Lance Macdermid and a 4th and choosing not to qualify Pietrangelo.

So excited for the finished product

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:13 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
You take the GM/Coach role when you take over the team, so Therrien and Bergevin lose their jobs. At one point it was going to be one job or the other, but that got cut for the sake of simplicity. You can delegate some of the responsibilities to the computer, though, if you want to focus on either aspect.

The staff ratings aren't done yet - staff has a big role in player development, so we deliberately didn't start editing those details yet. That way, we can make sure that development's working OK with neutral (on average) staff values before we add another variable to the mix.
Good to know that the staff will eventually be fixed. I thought it was kind of weird that everyone was ranked terribly. Would you guys be able to make it so that the head coaches that get displaced when you start your career are able to be hired as assistants? I'd love to keep Paul MacLean in the Ottawa organization even if he is not the head coach, but for now it just doesn't let you do anything with him.

Great game to muck around with so far though. Thanks for all the hard work!

WantEggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Hey, loving it so far, but found a bit of a glitch.

I was playing Washington and Ottawa and the Caps got 3 penalties and once the first two expired the third stayed permanently so the Caps have been shorthanded for the entire game.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Hey, loving it so far, but found a bit of a glitch.

I was playing Washington and Ottawa and the Caps got 3 penalties and once the first two expired the third stayed permanently so the Caps have been shorthanded for the entire game.
I think somebody's reported something similar in the beta bugs forum. Another one of the problems Sebastian's going to have to go after in that match engine tomorrow.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Good to know that the staff will eventually be fixed. I thought it was kind of weird that everyone was ranked terribly. Would you guys be able to make it so that the head coaches that get displaced when you start your career are able to be hired as assistants? I'd love to keep Paul MacLean in the Ottawa organization even if he is not the head coach, but for now it just doesn't let you do anything with him.
Not a bad idea, I think I like that better than just dumping the guy automatically, which robs me of the pleasure of firing Alain Vigneault myself.

Quote:
Great game to muck around with so far though. Thanks for all the hard work!
Nice to be hearing that a lot, it's been a long haul but things are definitely headed in the right direction.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Inflict
Viking

Some issues I noticed:

-Looks like sorting by scouting attributes doesn't work properly or only partially. Sorting by name and attributes appear to work fine. (Edit: Looks to be a known issue in beta)

-Sent my scout to scout my team and I don't see his reports. Only my assistant coach has scouting reports on my players.

-My primary goaltender (Pavelec) was injured for a few months and when he came back he was complaining about his ice time.

-Allowing the org to set your lineup/callups seems to put people who are injured for only a day on IR.

I haven't noticed any gameplay bugs or crashes yet and I am at the trade deadline! Really excited about this game. Think I am going to waste several hours with this game...

To answer someone's question, simming each day takes about 3 seconds on a fairly crappy machine.

Last edited by Inflict: 03-05-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:36 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Fair enough, that's pretty much the response we're expecting - the hardcore will jump in now and help us shake things out so we've got something really great by September. I've been trying to be as up-front as possible about all the stuff that's missing and broken at the moment, so nobody goes in now expecting a perfect experience and gets turned off the game when it's not there yet.
Yeah, I got 1-2 friends that are gonna be with me through the Beta and I (at least) am being active on the OOTP forums posting about issues, but I just know many of my most of friends are fickle and will abandon if I tell them about the game now with it's issues They will jumping in once the game is 100%, got plenty of friends that having been dying for a new hockey sim, but they are not the type to follow a game's progress like this so I'll control what I tell them and when to ensure long time customers

I did a season with Slovan Bratislava...posted 13-37-2 record, since the KHL ratings are not done yet, so about 6-10 teams got hammered all year (including mine). Was gonna make improvements but my game crashed in May and I realized I had forgotten to save dating back to December...time to start again. I think I'll take Yugra this time since in my other game they posted a stunning 3-47-2 record, see if I can improve that.

If anybody is wondering about issues with the game I suggest heading over to the Beta testing forums for FHM on the OOTP forums, game creators are active over there and answer question quite frequently.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-05-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:34 AM
BraveCanadian

Bought and downloaded.

Thank you for taking my money.

How long after purchase will activation work?

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 03-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.
BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Spent a few hours playing around last night on it- have to say I'm very excited about the game, looks to have so much potential. I don't know if it's possible for a game to ever rival the amount of hours I logged in the original EHM, or all the years of FOF (now that I'm an adult and have a real job)... but this one will be close. I can't wait for the real release and on-line leagues.

I haven't played OOTP in a few years so it will take a little getting used to simply just clicking around.

Couple things I noticed / would like to see...

1) I can't find it anywhere on the player screen when a player was originally drafted, and would be nice if we could a how acquired line.

2) I remember in OOTP there used to be a screen to make it easy to shuffle the minor rosters around, like a drag and drop to send guys from Majors to AAA, to AA, to A... It'd be nice to have something similiar here with different color codes on where they are eligible to go / what type of contract they have.

NHL to AHL to ECHL to Back to Juniors sort of all in one page

I had one crash- I started a historic league in 1970- simmed through the year quickly and it crashed soon after the finals.... I'm not even sure if historic league is supposed to work yet.

Can you post a link to the OOTP forums for FHM Beta where we can post us our thoughts / ideas / bug encounters.

doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Bought and now loading. Excited about this.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
EspOrrsito
edumacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5984 View Post
Can you post a link to the OOTP forums for FHM Beta where we can post us our thoughts / ideas / bug encounters.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ockey-manager/

EspOrrsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I was able to sign Cristobal Huet to a junior contract at Belfast Giants.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:33 AM
SharksAttack

Game crashes on July 1st if I press Autoplay until... next Month in June (at least on history mode)

On Leaderboards there's something wrong on hits/year record

Montreal signed Maurice Richard on 8 year contract extension, released him and signed as a free agent on cheaper deal

SharksAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

How do you make trades?

I'm on the trade screen but can't seem to add players to offer.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:52 AM
EspOrrsito
edumacated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
How do you make trades?

I'm on the trade screen but can't seem to add players to offer.

Are you in Team Menu / Transactions Trade Player(s)?

Did you move the mouse cursor over a players name and right click?

EspOrrsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I did a season with Slovan Bratislava...posted 13-37-2 record, since the KHL ratings are not done yet, so about 6-10 teams got hammered all year (including mine). Was gonna make improvements but my game crashed in May and I realized I had forgotten to save dating back to December...time to start again. I think I'll take Yugra this time since in my other game they posted a stunning 3-47-2 record, see if I can improve that.
Yeah, there's a few KHL teams that aren't quite done, shouldn't be too much longer. Funny thing about Slovan, in the first 0.9.0 version candidate yesterday there was a bug that turned all of their incompletely-rated players into superstars, they were something like 34-0-1 when I checked the league.

Quote:
If anybody is wondering about issues with the game I suggest heading over to the Beta testing forums for FHM on the OOTP forums, game creators are active over there and answer question quite frequently.
Yeah, definitely, I don't mind answering stuff here but it's a lot more certain things will get looked after if it's posted over there and we can get them moved over to our internal testing tool easily.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Bought and downloaded.

Thank you for taking my money.

How long after purchase will activation work?
In case you want to reinstall years from now, you mean? More or less permanently, I'd expect - if something ever happened to the company, I'm sure Markus would do whatever's necessary to make sure people can still play their games, including removing the activation requirement. They already make the very old versions of OOTP (up to #8, from 2007) available as freeware.