HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

What does MacKinnon have over Barkov?

Old
03-05-2013, 06:06 AM
IFK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlin View Post
Is it hard to understand? Barkov turned 17 in september, is 6`3" and weights 210-220. He is still growing so how the hell could he have the explosiveness of a 5`11", 160-180? I rather have a Thornton/Kopitar than a Kessel/Briere...
This.

Barkov is not slow and he have exploviness, but he's not rocket-midget like MacKinnon. Barkov needs only few kick and he is other side to the ice, because he has strong skating and long legs.

IFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:53 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK View Post
This.

Barkov is not slow and he have exploviness, but he's not rocket-midget like MacKinnon. Barkov needs only few kick and he is other side to the ice, because he has strong skating and long legs.
Hardly a midget at 5'11, and I've heard he's pretty strong too for his size.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:09 AM
IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Yes, but that's not the first point. First point is that Barkov is very good skater, not only his size player, he's not that explosive or fast in skating straight, but he is good using his skates. When we compare Barkov 6'3 and MacKinnon 5'11, then MacKinnon is midget, more explosiveness, but Barkov is HUGE 17 years old player.

I see also lot of Lennart Petrell Barkov's skating now when Barkov is 17 and Lennart 10 years older. Many says that Lennart is horrible skater and slow when he was young, but he was just big guy. He wasn's just as good skater than Barkov is now then but i think there is some similar thing when people talk Barkov's skating here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi-B4UKuQTY

Last edited by IFK: 03-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.
IFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:30 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I've seen MacKinnon listed as 6'0 if he is 5'11 it's not problem to MacKinnon who seem to be naturally strong. However the main point was that Barkov is 6'3 and about 210lbs at 17 year old and MacKinnon is about 6'0-5'11 180lbs?

MacKinnon might be naturally strong for 5'11-6'0 but Barkov is manchild even for 6'3. Barkov beats grown up men at boards in FEL like nothing. The fact is that MacKinnon always has to hustle hard and it's much harder to him to win puck battles in the NHL at the boards. Imagine him fighting at boards with Backes, Toews and Weber+other physical defensemen. I'm not saying that MacKinnon ever is going to be in trouble or something but it's not as easy for him as for Barkov. Barkov is manchild and his frame and strength is likely going to be among the top on the league. He isn't the tallest or most heavy but Barkov is strong as hell as 17 year old kid. He is already challenging Ville Nieminen at Gym and Ville Nieminen is bulked up. Nieminen also stated that Barkov has only scratched the surface of his physical developement.

Both are still developing physically and 5'11 isn't bad. Crosby is 5'11 and he is the best player. But comparing MacKinnon in size and strength is like comparing their skating. Barkov will always be bigger and stronger than MacKinnon who is always going to be better skater.

Barkov isn't a bad skater like most of posters claims. Barkov plays the style which doesen't need elite skating ability. He is positioning himself perfectly, always seem to be inside of the play and when he has space he can suprise many with his speed. I've seen TSN people calling Barkov as very good skater, Button stating that he is very good skater, Oilers head amateur scout stating that Barkov is very good skater and CBJ new GM Kekäläinen has stated that Barkov is an good skater but looks slower because he is so big. If he was 5'11 then it would be issue but he is manchild who is still developing physically and his skating has developed with huge leaps from last year. Barkov never is going to be an elite skater but considering his age, his size and how he has developed his skating in a year i would call him an good skater. I would say that if Barkov continues to improve his skating like this then i would say that he is very good to excellent skater in the future not elite but tier below. That is more than enough for Barkov.

It's very interesting to see Barkov at the combine. I think that Barkov will get most attention at the combine and it will boost his status.

Last edited by thomast: 03-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.
thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Is it hard to understand? Barkov turned 17 in september, is 6`3" and weights 210-220. He is still growing so how the hell could he have the explosiveness of a 5`11", 160-180? I rather have a Thornton/Kopitar than a Kessel/Briere...
Nathan is going to be alot better than Kessel/Briere and you are projecting Barkov's absolute ceiling and comparing two entirely different guys as well that have size.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:01 AM
jonlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Nathan is going to be alot better than Kessel/Briere and you are projecting Barkov's absolute ceiling and comparing two entirely different guys as well that have size.
What are you - psychic? And to say MacKinnon is going to be a lot better than Kessel and Briere...

The kid is what? 18? I bet some team will pay millions for your scouting-ability when you obviously seem to know how players pan out before they are even drafted!
U have probably never even seen Barkov playing, but you know what kinda ceiling the kid has! I`m amazed by you...

jonlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
What are you - psychic? And to say MacKinnon is going to be a lot better than Kessel and Briere...

The kid is what? 18? I bet some team will pay millions for your scouting-ability when you obviously seem to know how players pan out before they are even drafted!
U have probably never even seen Barkov playing, but you know what kinda ceiling the kid has! I`m amazed by you...
You're making fun of the fact that he made a prediction, after you have just made a prediction of your own? Alright then.

Also Kessel and Briere don't play similar styles to Mackinnon. The shot and explosiveness are the closest thing that Mackinnon and Kessel have in common.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:38 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
In height?
Oh, I thought this was talking about the differences in their games, not their appearance.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Oh, I thought this was talking about the differences in their games, not their appearance.
Its funny to see any Canadians defend more 1 way players and smaller players

You really think size doesn't matter in the NHL?

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Its funny to see any Canadians defend more 1 way players and smaller players

You really think size doesn't matter in the NHL?
MacKinnon is one-way and small? News to me.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
MacKinnon is one-way and small? News to me.
He is compared to Barkov.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
You're making fun of the fact that he made a prediction, after you have just made a prediction of your own? Alright then.

Also Kessel and Briere don't play similar styles to Mackinnon. The shot and explosiveness are the closest thing that Mackinnon and Kessel have in common.
Exactly, everyone here is sporting an opinion, no one has a crystal ball, funny how some people think they do.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Rielly4

Mackinnon- Super speed great hands at top speed, great off the rush player and good in zone because of his outstanding work ethic and ability to hound the puck... Hes basically pure speed and loves to score off the rush and hound the puck.. He also has good enough hands and shot to be a half wall guy on the PP.

Drouin- Slickest hands i think ive ever seen.. Slicker then the Nuge, Kadri and maybe even Patty kane. He doesnt have tremendous speed, but good enough speed that he can get around well. Tremendous agility, he can spin off players in the boards for fun. Good shot but his talent lies in his tremendous hands, agility and play-making skills. Watching Drouin with the puck, he is a pure wizard.

Barkov- Dont know as much about this guy, but he projects to be a two way center with size, i have only seen him play once but from what i have heard he has a good IQ and knows where to go along with great board play and good skills for a big man.. Hes been compared to Kopitar with more of a focus on defensive play.

To me Drouin is the going to boost your offense more then the other two, but if you already have that go to offensive star Barkov will compliment him more, and Mackinnon is good if you play a pure dump and chase game as he is a good fore-checker and has the talents to play PP and burn defenders playing 1st line minutes.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote