HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Penguins interested in Jack Johnson | CBJ brass takes in PIT/TB game 3/4

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 07:55 AM
mpp9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
The Pens is in the bottom half of the league in GA while leading the entire league in scoring and not to mention getting smacked last year by Philly's offense. Crosby has absolutely no problem scoring no matter who he plays with. Yet people keep crying for the Pens to trade assets to get Crosby a winger....
We're a team that's going to succeed in the postseason by playing in the offensive zone as much as possible. Getting Sid/Geno more talent up front helps us do that. We score goals, but we certainly have not dominated puck possession this year. Geno's line has been MIA at ES.

A top 4 defender and a top 6 winger are needs. Despres can potentially be the answer on D. But even with Bennett in the lineup, we'll need another solution up front come postseason.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
The Pens is in the bottom half of the league in GA while leading the entire league in scoring and not to mention getting smacked last year by Philly's offense. Crosby has absolutely no problem scoring no matter who he plays with. Yet people keep crying for the Pens to trade assets to get Crosby a winger....
Iginla is just a pipe dream for Sid's RW. The real issue isn't Sid's line at all. It's the LW for Malkin's line and really, even people in the fan base can't grasp the notion that all that line needs is Malkin's version of Dupuis. Cooke is the guy right now. Possibly Jeffrey and Bennett as well.

Defense isn't an issue either. It's the coaching. Pens system went from move the puck out right away and transition up the ice and establish a forecheck to tire out the team has been traded in for make useless passes in our own end, wait for the other team to set up, then force a pass through the neutral zone, dump the puck in before you hit the red line, send 1 guy in on 2-3 players back for the opposing team and then let them rush back the other way and establish a forecheck.

That's Bylsma's system in a nutshell since last year's playoffs.

Until that's fixed, no player is going to magically make them better.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Targeting TK strikes me as far more plausible.
Well, there's a deal to be had there. Kennedy is a significantly better player than he has shown this season, but he is playing himself off the roster right now. Perhaps a change of scenery.... don't know.

The problem is that there are not that many Columbus players who makes sense on Pittsburgh. Prospal is a nice vet, but as much as he is a complimentary scorer, he doesn't really compliment the needs of Sid or Geno's line much. Umberger would be gold as the work horse with an alround game next to Malkin/Neal. He'd have the same role Kunitz did last year. But he is rather expensive for what he brings - at least in a Pittsburgh context.

Otherwise your main assets are either developing C's or defenders that we really don't want to spend assets on considering the pipeline we have.

Just not much in the way of assets that either team could be ready to give up, that much appeals to the other side, I think. Except indeed Kennedy, if Columbus are interested. At this point it doesn't take much of a draft pick to get that done, I'd think.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Well, there's a deal to be had there. Kennedy is a significantly better player than he has shown this season, but he is playing himself off the roster right now. Perhaps a change of scenery.... don't know.

The problem is that there are not that many Columbus players who makes sense on Pittsburgh. Prospal is a nice vet, but as much as he is a complimentary scorer, he doesn't really compliment the needs of Sid or Geno's line much. Umberger would be gold as the work horse with an alround game next to Malkin/Neal. He'd have the same role Kunitz did last year. But he is rather expensive for what he brings - at least in a Pittsburgh context.

Otherwise your main assets are either developing C's or defenders that we really don't want to spend assets on considering the pipeline we have.

Just not much in the way of assets that either team could be ready to give up, that much appeals to the other side, I think. Except indeed Kennedy, if Columbus are interested. At this point it doesn't take much of a draft pick to get that done, I'd think.
Moving TK for a pick and then call up Beau again. We'd still need a 13th guy, a depth forward.

Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Cooke, Sutter, Jeffrey
Glass, Vitale, Adams

Again, it looks good on paper, but that system...it pisses me off soo much that the coach hasn't fixed it yet.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:21 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

Prospal wouldn't be a bad guy for the third line, if you don't think he compliments Geno or Sid. He certainly would be a nice upgrade over TK. Have no idea what's gotten into him. TK is horrid this year and he is fighting for a contract. I would do a Prospal for TK deal without hesitation. Heck, I might even add a third round pick to him.

I too like RJ and think he could fit with Geno. He is just too expensive cap wise. If Columbus took back 1.5 million say, I'd make a deal for him.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:49 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 50
I would want this from more legitimate source than Rossi..

IMO, this doesn't make much sense for either of the teams, for reasons already addressed in this thread.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Iginla is just a pipe dream for Sid's RW. The real issue isn't Sid's line at all. It's the LW for Malkin's line and really, even people in the fan base can't grasp the notion that all that line needs is Malkin's version of Dupuis.
Honestly, I don't so much see the dichotomie you open up there. The very best solution would be to get Crosby a filthy right wing, who could also be money on the PP, and just give Malkin the version of Dupuis that we already own. It solves both problems. Or just give him back Kunitz (that worked okay last season) and keep Duper with Sid and new guy.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I would want this from more legitimate source than Rossi..

IMO, this doesn't make much sense for either of the teams, for reasons already addressed in this thread.
So basically anyone else on the planet.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Honestly, I don't so much see the dichotomie you open up there. The very best solution would be to get Crosby a filthy right wing, who could also be money on the PP, and just give Malkin the version of Dupuis that we already own. It solves both problems. Or just give him back Kunitz (that worked okay last season) and keep Duper with Sid and new guy.
Duper is and has always been kryptonite for Malkin. This mustn't be forgotten. I would much prefer keeping Cooke there.
Dupuis is a straigth line/speed player who kinda works with Sid, and he worked exceedingly well with Staal also as they played the same kind of game. Geno patently does not play that kind of game.

But I would certainly think that Sid's line was getting upgraded if Iginla arrived and Kunitz dropped down to Malkin's line. Makes no difference to Dupuis is he is a RW or LW. And Kunitz Malkin Neal could be the best line in the league again.

The notion of Bennett Sid Iginla past this season kinda makes me misty also.

Anyway.... back to talking Columbus.... just hopefully not about Jack Johnson to the Pens .

Old
03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Pittsburgh might be looking at moving D in the shape of Brooks Orpik or Matt Niskanen but I don't see the need to bring Jack Johnson in. I'd rather see/ or expect to see someone promoted from within if the need arises.

Pittsburgh's forward needs are greater.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Pittsburgh might be looking at moving D in the shape of Brooks Orpik or Matt Niskanen but I don't see the need to bring Jack Johnson in. I'd rather see/ or expect to see someone promoted from within if the need arises.

Pittsburgh's forward needs are greater.
I wonder if there is any chance we move Martin. I mean he has played well for us this year but if Shero is thinking long term and wants to move his contract now is the time cause he has played well for us so far this season

Old
03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I wonder if there is any chance we move Martin. I mean he has played well for us this year but if Shero is thinking long term and wants to move his contract now is the time cause he has played well for us so far this season
He could do and his value would be the highest it's been for a while right now but Orpik is on $3.75m and that's only a $1.25m difference between the two. Besides, I'd rather keep Martin and trade Orpik.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Pittsburgh shouldn't be thinking about trading Martin IMO. Paul Martin has awaken from his two-year nap. He is the guy we thought we were getting from NJ right now and he has brought an offensive flair to it. Martin is important to Pittsburgh right now, especially on the power play. He has shown this year to be a better PP QB than Letang.

I think with the signing of Eaton, there is a Dman about to be traded. You can go a few directions here.

Niskanen and Eaton really looked good last night together. Letang and Despres play solid with one another. I can see maybe Bortuzzo being dealt actually. While I would trade Engelland over him, you need DE because of what he brings to the table.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I hope to heck Pittsburgh doesn't even consider thinking about acquiring him. It would make no sense; doesn't really help or fill a need. Why trade for a puck moving Dman, when you need a a top six winger. I would seriously question Shero's thought process on this one.
Need a top six winger eh? : laugh:

Look at the Preds roster and tell me the Penguins need a top 6 guy still.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:56 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post

Dude, you guys have needed scoring since you came into the league. Nashville has gone a different route than Pittsburgh.

Yes, we score goals. However, look at our wingers. Neal, Kunitz, Dupuis, Cooke. Those are our top four right now. We have two third line guys playing top six due to our shortage of quality wingers. I'm not saying Dupuis and Cooke are garbage by any means, but they aren't protypical top six wingers. Dupes has great chemistry with Crosby and Cooke is with Malkin by default since no one else has had success with him absent Neal.

Cooke and Dupuis are both UFAs after this season as well. We need one more young top six forward that brings a solid two-way game to the table. Just because Nashville can't score and Pittsburgh can doesn't mean the Penguins don't need another winger. It does.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post

As has been pointed out here, it's not really about scoring. It's about puck possession and offensive zone time. I don't think anyone reasonable honestly believes that the Pens biggest problem is more goal scoring. They do need a top 6 forward who is good along the boards and in corners, either to add to Malkin's line or to play with Crosby and allow them to move Kunitz down with Malkin. And yes, someone who isn't a soul sucking wormhole where offense goes to die would be nice. Ideally Bennett will pan out but in the meantime, they need a top 6 winger.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
As has been pointed out here, it's not really about scoring. It's about puck possession and offensive zone time. I don't think anyone reasonable honestly believes that the Pens biggest problem is more goal scoring. They do need a top 6 forward who is good along the boards and in corners, either to add to Malkin's line or to play with Crosby and allow them to move Kunitz down with Malkin.
Yeah, I think the Pens need another forward that can hang onto the puck for a while in the offensive zone. Their puck possession game can still get better. Malkin and Crosby can hang onto it for a while but the rest either have to move it quickly or they get taken off the puck.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:01 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

Pittsburgh already has a tonne of defenseman, they don't need another 1.

03-05-2013, 10:05 AM
RehnX

Would love JJ if(and only if) signing Letang looks like it will become an issue, just because I'm not ready for the kids to be playing 25 minutes a night and JJ has a beautiful contract.

Still can't see either team doing it though.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
He could do and his value would be the highest it's been for a while right now but Orpik is on $3.75m and that's only a $1.25m difference between the two. Besides, I'd rather keep Martin and trade Orpik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Pittsburgh shouldn't be thinking about trading Martin IMO. Paul Martin has awaken from his two-year nap. He is the guy we thought we were getting from NJ right now and he has brought an offensive flair to it. Martin is important to Pittsburgh right now, especially on the power play. He has shown this year to be a better PP QB than Letang.

I think with the signing of Eaton, there is a Dman about to be traded. You can go a few directions here.

Niskanen and Eaton really looked good last night together. Letang and Despres play solid with one another. I can see maybe Bortuzzo being dealt actually. While I would trade Engelland over him, you need DE because of what he brings to the table.
Agreed about trading Orpik over Martin, just not sure we would get back anything in value. Orpik has really been bad this year

Old
03-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Pittsburgh already has a tonne of defenseman, they don't need another 1.
If Shero can add JJ I have a feeling he will, great friends with Sid and can help run the pp and give Letang a break from time to time.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

There are plenty of teams that would want Orpik. Am I remembering incorrectly that he has a limited NTC anyway?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
There are plenty of teams that would want Orpik. Am I remembering incorrectly that he has a limited NTC anyway?
He can list 8 teams he won't go to.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
If Shero can add JJ I have a feeling he will, great friends with Sid and can help run the pp and give Letang a break from time to time.
I agree but I just don't see a fit asset-wise. Pens/Jackets look like bad trade partners on the surface.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
gdsmack267

Johnsons defensive play would not solve the Pens D problems

Closed Thread