HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Nahl = Ushl

Old
07-13-2006, 05:14 PM
rvd666

vCash: 500
Nahl = Ushl

Read some pretty old threads on HF comparing the USHL and NAHL, but i'm still not sure, so I thought I would ask for clarification.

USHL (tier 1) equivalent to say the BCHL (Jr.A Canada)
NAHL (tier 2) equivalent to ?

Is that correct?

rvd666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 04:43 PM
STS44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvd666 View Post
Read some pretty old threads on HF comparing the USHL and NAHL, but i'm still not sure, so I thought I would ask for clarification.

USHL (tier 1) equivalent to say the BCHL (Jr.A Canada)
NAHL (tier 2) equivalent to ?

Is that correct?
Perhaps the NAHL would be the equivalent of a Junior B Canadian League like the Heritage League in Alberta , Kootenay International Jr. B League in BC and the western US and the Western Ontario Jr. B League.

STS44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:51 PM
ktownhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44 View Post
Perhaps the NAHL would be the equivalent of a Junior B Canadian League like the Heritage League in Alberta , Kootenay International Jr. B League in BC and the western US and the Western Ontario Jr. B League.
Pretty good comparison

ktownhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 07:29 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44 View Post
I don't think this would be accurate at all.
While the NAHL has diluted its product somewhat, they are still a very good Jr. A league with better teams on average than the OPJHL (Jr A).
Texas smoked OPJHL competition 3 years in a row at the Newmarket Tournament, winning it each time. Granted, they faced some real creampuffs, but also some of the league's best as well.
OPJHL teams would also routinely get hammered at the old Compuware Showcase tournament.
NAHL squads also would face Ontario Junior B teams in pre-season tuneups, and the scores would be quite lopsided in the NAHL's favour.

To conclude, I wouldn't compare the NAHL to Ontario Junior B (no slight to those leagues though - it is extremely competitive hockey).
I would compare more to the OPJHL, though I think the NAHL is better.

As to the original question of how to compare the leagues, in terms of classification it would now be:

USHL (Tier I) = CHL (Major Junior)
NAHL (Jr. A) = BCHL (Jr. A)

That's not to say the USHL is on par with Major Junior, only it now has the highest junior classification in the US.
Most compare the USHL to the BCHL in terms of talent, although it appears as if the USHL has clearly pulled ahead now in terms of the quality of their prospects...

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2006, 05:08 PM
PuckFan01

In terms of overall league depth and amount of high quality players, a couple of college coaches I have talked to have said the same thing as far as how they rank them.

1. USHL (and gaining more distance on the BCHL every year)
2. BCHL
3. NAHL
4. AJHL
5. SJHL/OPJHL

PuckFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 11:48 AM
PanthersRule96

I played at a showcase and they told us all this info and with the US at least, USHL is above NAHL is above AJHL/EJHL. I got offers from the NAHL hehe, I was happy

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:52 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFan01 View Post
In terms of overall league depth and amount of high quality players, a couple of college coaches I have talked to have said the same thing as far as how they rank them.

1. USHL (and gaining more distance on the BCHL every year)
2. BCHL
3. NAHL
4. AJHL
5. SJHL/OPJHL
I'm not a scout (let me get that out of the way ), but feel the AJHL is a better top to bottom league than the NAHL. I've seen both leagues play, and
the AJHL
a) produces more high-end players
b) is a much tougher league (although Texas would match up fairly well in that regard).

Just my 2 cents.

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 06:49 PM
bmoak

Both USHL and NAHL are classified as Junior A teams by USA Hockey. The USHL is Tier I and the NAHL is Tier II. Other USA junior leagues are classified as Tier II, Junior B or lower.

It's not like the NAHL is a completely inferior league than the USHL, as I'm sure a top NAHL team like the Texas Tornados could do pretty well in the USHL. However, the USHL is a smaller tighter league with better palyers on average.

BTW, the OPJHL is such a diluted league (38 teams) that makes it a poor example for Junior A comparisons.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:35 AM
PuckFan01

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Just my 2 cents.
I am not a scout either. But my remarks above also were not my opinion. They were simply comments made to me by some college coaches over the past year or two. Considering the people I was commenting on do scout all those leagues for players to recruit, I guess I give them the benefit of the doubt that they are correct. Not to mention, when you have all of them say pretty much the same thing but say them at different times, it tends to lead me to believe that this is the concensus among them.

PuckFan01 is offline   Reply With Quote