HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Prospal's play and the gentleman's agreement

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 03:26 PM
  #26
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
@Aportzline "Asked last week. Davidson and Kekalainen were unclear about #CBJ gentlemen's agreement with Prospal, but something they planned to discuss."

I hope something is worked out. Prospal would be a good guy to have around.
I agree after he retires. IMO, we need to trade him this year as we could get something really good back for him.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
  #27
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I will bet that a lot of play-off teams will come calling for Vinny at the trade deadline.

Proven play-off producer, and a guy who's skill set would be coveted. Can't see JK turning down an offer they can't refuse.

Can't remember if Vinny has a NTC in his contract.
That is why we need to trade him, IMO. There is a good chance that teams offer us a lot for him.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:31 PM
  #28
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
If I were The Finn, I'd do the following-
"Vinny I understand you had an agreement with the previous GM to play here until your career is over and then join the organization in some fashion. Even though I am under no obligation to do so, I am willing to honor that agreement. Because I think you are such a valuable member of this organization.

Your first job with this organization is to go play for a playoff team from April 3 to the end of the season. Not only will you get your competitive juices flowing again, but I'll get a valuable draft pick in return. When the season is over there will be a contract waiting for you to rejoin our squad if you want. If not, we'd be happy to send you back to Europe to help us with scouting and player development."
That is fine.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:13 PM
  #29
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
If we get an offer for Vinnie at the deadline it will probably be a 2nd from a contending team. I would probably check with him well before the deadline and if he agrees to go to one or more of the contenders fine;trade him and then Tkachuk him to bring him back for next year. if he fits; otherwise try to find a spot in the organization for him.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:51 PM
  #30
SuperGenius
Moderator
For Duty & Humanity!
 
SuperGenius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,514
vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
If I were The Finn, I'd do the following-
"Vinny I understand you had an agreement with the previous GM to play here until your career is over and then join the organization in some fashion. Even though I am under no obligation to do so, I am willing to honor that agreement. Because I think you are such a valuable member of this organization.

Your first job with this organization is to go play for a playoff team from April 3 to the end of the season. Not only will you get your competitive juices flowing again, but I'll get a valuable draft pick in return. When the season is over there will be a contract waiting for you to rejoin our squad if you want. If not, we'd be happy to send you back to Europe to help us with scouting and player development."
I would have no problem with this so long as everyone is on the same page. I do think the return needs to be large, though, else it's not worth it to me. I suppose if any deal goes down, the return will be some sort of clue as to whether it's part of a plan or one side or the other changing their mind.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:32 PM
  #31
arudick
Registered User
 
arudick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
I've ripped on Prospal from day 1 and boy has he proved me wrong. A professional who, although not the most fast and skillful player, gives it his all night in and night out. Happy he is making me eat my own words. There a number of players that can learn from a guy like him.

arudick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
  #32
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,632
vCash: 500
I hope he becomes an adviser to the players.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:16 AM
  #33
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,234
vCash: 500
I would be extremely bummed if Prospal was moved. Guy has been a shot in the arm for the organization. I know its a business, but right now, he seems like one of the few guys thats worth more to the organization itself, than just his role on the team. And I'm not sure I could say that if he moves on, because of what he essentially agreed to when he came aboard with this. He wants to be here, he wants to work for the organization (after this year or next, likely). I'll be bummed out if he's moved.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
  #34
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I would be extremely bummed if Prospal was moved. Guy has been a shot in the arm for the organization. I know its a business, but right now, he seems like one of the few guys thats worth more to the organization itself, than just his role on the team. And I'm not sure I could say that if he moves on, because of what he essentially agreed to when he came aboard with this. He wants to be here, he wants to work for the organization (after this year or next, likely). I'll be bummed out if he's moved.

Yep

The only exception to this is if he goes to mgmt and says "I'd like one more bite at the apple trade me to a contender and I'll be back next year". Not even if it's mgmt idea, gotta be his. If it happens though we'll probably never know the how it happened.

I know it's a business and all, but there are still right ways to go about doing business. And then there are the asshat ways.

__________________
__________________

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:56 AM
  #35
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
the asshat ways.
Great band name.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:37 AM
  #36
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
I have a question. Why do some of you have a problem with trading Prospal who only has an agreement to be on the Jackets next year, but you have no problem trading players who actually have contracts for next year?

Also, if Prospal cares about the team like he seems to, he should want to do what is best for them.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
  #37
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I have a question. Why do some of you have a problem with trading Prospal who only has an agreement to be on the Jackets next year, but you have no problem trading players who actually have contracts for next year?
Because we need someone like Vinny in the locker room, this year, next year, and as long as he can continue to play at the current level. He would also be fantastic in the front office. There are others under contract who don't fall under the same category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Also, if Prospal cares about the team like he seems to, he should want to do what is best for them.
He's also stated that he is happy with the current situation, his family likes Columbus, and he wants to be a part of this team long term. Why should he have to go somewhere else at the trade deadline, even if it is for the best for the team?

If he's fine leaving his family, and wants to go on another cup run, that is one thing, but it is another if the team decides that is what they want to do with him, just because they want some sort of return at the trade deadline.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:07 AM
  #38
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post

Also, if Prospal cares about the team like he seems to, he should want to do what is best for them.
Just like Rick Nash.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
  #39
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Just like Rick Nash.
Just thinking the same thing. Nash offered to waive his NMC if it would make the team better and some vilify him as quitting on the team. Now, we're going to piss and moan if VP doesn't want to leave "for the good of the team"?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:14 AM
  #40
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Because we need someone like Vinny in the locker room, this year, next year, and as long as he can continue to play at the current level. He would also be fantastic in the front office. There are others under contract who don't fall under the same category.



He's also stated that he is happy with the current situation, his family likes Columbus, and he wants to be a part of this team long term. Why should he have to go somewhere else at the trade deadline, even if it is for the best for the team?

If he's fine leaving his family, and wants to go on another cup run, that is one thing, but it is another if the team decides that is what they want to do with him, just because they want some sort of return at the trade deadline.

You missed my point. People are saying it would send a bad message throughout the NHL. And who would come play for us if we did that to Prospal? My point is this. How is it viewed as so bad to other players if we trade a player who doesn't have a contract next year, but it isn't if we trade someone who does. I am not talking about what Prospal brings to this team. I am talking about how some view the way we are treating him Also, why can't he work for us when he retires if we trade him? Oh, you traded me. I am never working for you. I just find all this to be really funny.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
  #41
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You missed my point. People are saying it would send a bad message throughout the NHL. And who would come play for us if we did that to Prospal? My point is this. How is it viewed as so bad to other players if we trade a player who doesn't have a contract next year, but it isn't if we trade someone who does. I am not talking about what Prospal brings to this team. I am talking about how some view the way we are treating him Also, why can't he work for us when he retires if we trade him? Oh, you traded me. I am never working for you. I just find all this to be really funny.
Because he was promised 1yr contracts WITH THE JACKETS, for as long as he wished to play.

Then the a position with the team.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
  #42
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You missed my point. People are saying it would send a bad message throughout the NHL. And who would come play for us if we did that to Prospal? My point is this. How is it viewed as so bad to other players if we trade a player who doesn't have a contract next year, but it isn't if we trade someone who does. I am not talking about what Prospal brings to this team. I am talking about how some view the way we are treating him Also, why can't he work for us when he retires if we trade him? Oh, you traded me. I am never working for you. I just find all this to be really funny.
If you're willing to take opinions from someone who hasn't suggested what you're asking about...

I'd say it is because some posters want to see certain players traded and not others. And therefore are defending said position either by projecting their opinions onto management or finding other logical workarounds like "sends a bad message."

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
  #43
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Okay. Another question for you guys/gals. If you had an agreement with your boss to work for him as long as you wanted, then he was fired, and a new boss came in. Would you expect him to honor that agreement? I know I wouldn't. I would hope he would if I wanted to still work at that company and for him, but I wouldn't expect it. We have a new front office. It is their job to make this team a winner. It isn't their job to keep players around just because the previous GM had an agreement with them or signed them to long term contracts.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
  #44
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Because he was promised 1yr contracts WITH THE JACKETS, for as long as he wished to play.

Then the a position with the team.
Yes, by someone else. Tyutin (for example) was actually given more years WITH THE JACKETS. IN AN ACTUAL CONTRACT. So, why is it okay to trade him?

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:23 AM
  #45
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Okay. Another question for you guys/gals. If you had an agreement with your boss to work for him as long as you wanted, then he was fired, and a new boss came in. Would you expect him to honor that agreement? I know I wouldn't. I would hope he would if I wanted to still work at that company and for him, but I wouldn't expect it. We have a new front office. It is their job to make this team a winner. It isn't their job to keep players around just because the previous GM had an agreement with them or signed them to long term contracts.
Because this is the sports world, not the real world.

While still a business the are a lot of other factors that work in this environment that don't come into play as much in the outside workplace.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
  #46
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Yes, by someone else. Tyutin (for example) was actually given more years WITH THE JACKETS. IN AN ACTUAL CONTRACT. So, why is it okay to trade him?
Because contract unless otherwise specified can be traded.

A promise by an organization, and whether we like it or not Howson represented the organization, is like a man's word. if you don't keep your word your reputation ain't worth ****.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
  #47
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Okay. Another question for you guys/gals. If you had an agreement with your boss to work for him as long as you wanted, then he was fired, and a new boss came in. Would you expect him to honor that agreement? I know I wouldn't. I would hope he would if I wanted to still work at that company and for him, but I wouldn't expect it. We have a new front office. It is their job to make this team a winner. It isn't their job to keep players around just because the previous GM had an agreement with them or signed them to long term contracts.
I wouldn't, but I would certainly bring it up.

But the bolded doesn't preclude new management keeping players around because they've chosen to do so, for whatever reason, including some of those given in here for retaining Prospal.

I like that someone is more than comfortable with the idea of Prospal being traded, as it is a possibility. It's just weird the level of commitment to the idea.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:30 AM
  #48
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You missed my point. People are saying it would send a bad message throughout the NHL. And who would come play for us if we did that to Prospal? My point is this. How is it viewed as so bad to other players if we trade a player who doesn't have a contract next year, but it isn't if we trade someone who does. I am not talking about what Prospal brings to this team. I am talking about how some view the way we are treating him Also, why can't he work for us when he retires if we trade him? Oh, you traded me. I am never working for you. I just find all this to be really funny.
That's why I wrote it out the way I did.

There's a difference between "Hey Vinny, do you have any interest in going on a cup run with a specific team? If so, we'll do what we can to get you there."

and

"Um, yeah, Vinny, about that No Movement Clause you have, yeah. We're just going to need you to go ahead and wave that, yeah, so we can send you to some random place for a 2nd round pick."

One shows respect for the player, and wouldn't be looked at negatively by other players, especially if Vinny chose to come back.

The other one would be looked at negatively because it would discourage other veterans from coming, and signing a contract with the team.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
  #49
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Because contract unless otherwise specified can be traded.

A promise by an organization, and whether we like it or not Howson represented the organization, is like a man's word. if you don't keep your word your reputation ain't worth ****.
Yeah, and the man is no longer in charge. I think giving someone a contract is a bigger promise, but whatever. They should have signed Prospal to a longer contract if they wanted to keep him for more than this year. Also, you say a contract can be traded. Is Prospal not on a contract? I am pretty sure he is. Why can we not trade his contract? Why couldn't we sign him for next year if we did trade him?

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.


Last edited by RDriesenUD: 03-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.
RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:35 AM
  #50
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
That's why I wrote it out the way I did.

There's a difference between "Hey Vinny, do you have any interest in going on a cup run with a specific team? If so, we'll do what we can to get you there."

and

"Um, yeah, Vinny, about that No Movement Clause you have, yeah. We're just going to need you to go ahead and wave that, yeah, so we can send you to some random place for a 2nd round pick."

One shows respect for the player, and wouldn't be looked at negatively by other players, especially if Vinny chose to come back.

The other one would be looked at negatively because it would discourage other veterans from coming, and signing a contract with the team.
And, by having the NMC, he can just say no. Also, I never said trade him to some random team for a 2nd round pick. I am not arguing that we have to trade him (though I think we should). I am arguing that we don't HAVE to keep him because of some agreement. I just think we should look to trade him and Prospal should be willing to be traded. You act like we are trading him to some bad place he will have to play at for 4 years. It will be a few months and most likely on a really good team. Man, that must really be tough to do .

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.