HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Old
02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

vCash: 500
Kerby is having a monster year for a player playing on a s**t team. He's got the same number of points as last season in 10 fewer games. He'll get another 40+ goals this season giving him 80+ goals over two seasons, the kid knows how to put the puck in the net.

just some thoughts on why I like Kerby more than Lazar. Also, I'm so glad we selected Samuellsson last year, the way he played this year he would have been a top 15 selection.

It's unfortunate that we didn't take any other player in the second round rather than Mr. Martinook. Like I said at the draft, I didn't like the pick, almost a year later, and I'm still not impressed with the selection...should have selected Bozon or Vesey.

Sindiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
XX
... Waiting

Martinook had 40 goals in 72 games. I'm okay with that gamble. Just seems like he fell off the face of the earth. Pretty sure he is playing 4th line garbage minutes under Edwards anyways. He was also injured.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 12:07 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
You guys like Lazar more than I do at the #15 overall spot. I would have taken Domi or Rychel, probably Rychel
I haven't been able to watch Rychel since the Super Series. In that series and the Windsor games I saw previous he really, really left a bad impression. Just sits around waiting. Reminded me a lot of Peter Mueller. That said, he's obviously come on as of late and unlike Mueller the guy has got some balls. It's weird, though, as he's got the frame and is more than happy to fight, but doesn't actually assert himself physically during play. After the whistle, he will mess you up. Big bad em effer, to ne sure. During play, though, he's passive as a ***** cat. The guy I have watched likes to cherry pick defensively, is more often a spectator than a participant, and basically just hangs out waiting for a pass. Like Mueller in all of those ways. After the play is through, though, he's like Owen Nolan. Mean as piss.

Domi versus Lazar gave me huge pause. I took Lazar over Domi primarily because of Dave Tippett. I've been lucky enough to watch both players quite a few times. I really love both and would kill to draft both. Ultimately, though, I like Lazar's pro tools a little better. His upside isnt as good but his downside is much, much better. I see Lazar as a Mike Fisher during Ottawa's cup run (this is his upside) and Domi as a pre-injury bad ass version of Ladislav Nagy when he was a point per game player (again, upside). As for the downside, Lazar is more like Boyd Gordon mixed with Jason Chimera and Domi like Nigel Dawes mixed with Rob Schremp.

Better judgement screamed at me to take the more skilled, more productive Domi. Still, Lazar is just can't miss. He really can't. He always knows where to be and has the wheels and grit to always be there. I mean in all three zones. His smarts, skating, and grit will make him valuable always, no matter what. Add that wrist shot to those tools and I really think he will always be a decent goal scoring threat. He's got that Kyle Turris wrister. He's got that Radim Vrbata positioning. And he looks like some unholy mix of Mike Fisher, Curtis Glencross, Boyd Gordon, and Mike Chimera. In short, Dave Tippett's ultimate dream player.

Last edited by rt: 02-22-2013 at 12:19 AM.
rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:16 AM
AndrewYotes

Lazar kicked ass in my EHM 2007 game so I say we draft him

AndrewYotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 02:16 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
So far in my mock I've taken Curtis Lazar and Justin Bailey. There were much more statistaclly impressive kids available at each spot. I couldve had Domi and Sorensen, for example. I just really like the pro potential in the guys I took. I feel like they're well suited for the nhl as it is today.
Took Mason Geertsen with my third. Big, nasty, physically imposing young D. Good, raw upside, too. Great mobility and intensity. Has some major rough spots he's got to round out. Major project. That's what you get in the third, though. Was a fellow oil kings first rounder with Lazar. Lazar lived with geertsens family, even. Geertsen was traded to Vancouver for one of my favorites, David musil.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM
mitch27

Rychel has the tendency to take games off. When he's giving an effort, he's great at both ends of the ice, and he has a wicked shot. He actually plays somewhat physical when he's giving his all. When he's not taking the night off, he looks like a top 15 pick.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:51 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I wish I had more than a few games to judge him on. His stat line and scouting report make me want to like him, but what I actually saw were bad games.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:55 AM
mitch27

Quote:
I wish I had more than a few games to judge him on. His stat line and scouting report make me want to like him, but what I actually saw were bad games.
I've seen basically every home game and a few road games. You're scouting report is pretty much bang on, which is impressive haha

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:25 PM
OOEEL

The Oil Kings retweeted this link yesterday, figured I'd pass it on:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ip-in-spokane/

Quote:
1. Word on the street – or press box in this case – is the Edmonton Oilers are extremely high on draft prospect Curtis Lazar. The whispers of “wouldn’t he look good on the Oilers’ third line?” have gotten louder in recent weeks.
Now my question isn't about the Oilers draft strategy as much as how they see him.

Does Lazar really project to only be a third line center, or would he just be a third liner between RNH and Gagner? Obviously it'd be a steal to get a #1 center in the back half of the first round, and I don't think Curtis could usurp Hanzal, but would he(at his peak) be able to challenge Vermette for the second line, or would he just be able to move Boyd down to the 4th line?

OOEEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:49 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
The Oil Kings retweeted this link yesterday, figured I'd pass it on:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ip-in-spokane/

Now my question isn't about the Oilers draft strategy as much as how they see him.

Does Lazar really project to only be a third line center, or would he just be a third liner between RNH and Gagner? Obviously it'd be a steal to get a #1 center in the back half of the first round, and I don't think Curtis could usurp Hanzal, but would he(at his peak) be able to challenge Vermette for the second line, or would he just be able to move Boyd down to the 4th line?
I see Lazar as a good 2-way 2nd line RWer.
I can't see the Oilers passing on defense (as a priority) in this year's draft.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:50 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Lazar is excellent on face-offs and is really good defensively, while being a very strong skater. I see CENTER as his long-term position, no doubt.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Didn't have a pick in the fourth but I added Quentin Shore with my fifth. He's the younger brother of the other two, more highly touted Shores. I'm a huge fan of the other two, and really like his potential to be an nhl player, some day.

Old
02-25-2013, 11:38 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Lazar is excellent on face-offs and is really good defensively, while being a very strong skater. I see CENTER as his long-term position, no doubt.
What's with the lack of assists? Seems like an abnormality. If he is so surefire usable, what's the knock on him? Lack of upside? Most mocks have him going 15-30, so why is he ranked so late?

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Picked up Justin Bailey's teammate, Brent Pedersen in the sixth.

Just one pick left and this is how it's shaping up...

R1. #15 -F- Curtis Lazar -WHL- Edmonton
R2. #45 -F- Justin Bailey -OHL- Kitchener
R3. #75 -D- Mason Geertsen -WHL- Vancouver
R5. #135-F-Quentin Shore -NCAA- Denver
R6. #165-F-Brent Pedersen -OHL- Kitchener

Old
02-28-2013, 01:20 AM
OOEEL

Hey RT, I found the mock draft you're in and had a question:

What made you take Shore over Tolchensky or Valk? Im guessing Sergei's knock was size/russian factor, while Curtis' was size/overager?

I just noticed those names on the board still and I was actually familiar with them from following Fritsch and Langhamer this season.

OOEEL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I have really been a big fan of Drew Shore and wanted the Coyotes to draft Nick. I see a lot of both in Quentin. Both took huge statistically leaps in their sophomore seasons, and I expect Quintin will do the same. He already plays a smart, responsible mature game. The knock is offensive upside. If he's like his brothers, we will see more of that next season. I don't really see it quite like another Staal situation, but maybe I'd have liked our Staal more if I had actually seen him in junior. Who knows? One thing is for sure, I wouldbt have taken him in the second round.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:48 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Bjorkstrand is doing good, and should be available in the early 3rd if you have any picks there?

He is the leading Rookie scorer in the WHL.

http://www.whl.ca/stats/show/type/to.../242/subtype/4

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 02-28-2013 at 08:58 AM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
What's with the lack of assists? Seems like an abnormality. If he is so surefire usable, what's the knock on him? Lack of upside? Most mocks have him going 15-30, so why is he ranked so late?
Yes, the knock on Lazar is offensive upside. He will never be a 70pt NHL forward. I see Mike Fisher. The one that was the emotional leader during Ottawa's cup run. That's the upside I see. It's not nearly as high as a lot of guys around him in the first round, but I think he's got much higher odds of reaching it than most of those guys have of reaching theirs.

Lack of assists? I feel its a combination of things. First, he's got an excellent shot. Top five in the draft. As such, he doesn't take offensive zone face offs. Laxdall sets him up on the wing and the puck always goes to Lazar. The idea is to rifle one in quick, right off the draw. He's obviously not collecting assists there. Also, Laxdall frequently runs a five forward pp. Lazar is generally the guy camped out in front looking for deflections(he and Samuelsson both) or waiting in the slot, just the side of the net, hoping they can get the puck to him so he can burry quick. Not a lot of pp assists, in that set up. Also, the way his lines generally enter the zone plays a part. Ususally Lazar is the one who lugs it up ice because of his great wheels. Generally he leaves it for a teammate near the blue line and goes straight for the net. That's what he's coached to do. So, I think a big part of why there is such a gap between goals and assists is that he's got a specific skillset, his coach recognizes it, and makes adjustments accordingly.

Having said all of that, its also because he is t a fantastic play maker. He looks to shoot. Personally, it might be what I like most. We never have that problem in Phoenix.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Ended up grabbing Christopher Clapperton from the Armada with my last pick. Ton of skill, ton of grit, but a pretty small guy. Really rambunctious player. Seen him a few times with the Armada and loves his high energy, infectious playing style. Something like Matt Cooke meets Andy Miele. Maybe a poor man's Brad Marchand. Anyway, he was eligible last year and I promised myself I wouldn't take him earlier than 195, but I also really, really didn't want to leave the draft without him.

Final draft result:

R1. #15 -F- Curtis Lazar -WHL- Edmonton
R2. #45 -F- Justin Bailey -OHL- Kitchener
R3. #75 -D- Mason Geertsen -WHL- Vancouver
R5. #135-F-Quentin Shore -NCAA- Denver
R6. #165-F-Brent Pedersen -OHL- Kitchener
R7. #195-F-Chris Clapperton-Q- Blainville-Boisbriand

Old
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

Nice selections, albeit I'd still take Klimchuck or Rychel over Lazar (I just have a feeling that both Klim and Rychel are going to be good 2nd line guys and I think Lazar is a 30pt forward tops, but that is just me)

Maybe we should get RT a new job scouting for the Yotes!

He certainly wouldn't have selected Martinook, which is nice!

Old
03-05-2013, 05:43 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
Nice selections, albeit I'd still take Klimchuck or Rychel over Lazar (I just have a feeling that both Klim and Rychel are going to be good 2nd line guys and I think Lazar is a 30pt forward tops, but that is just me)

Maybe we should get RT a new job scouting for the Yotes!

He certainly wouldn't have selected Martinook, which is nice!

I'm checking out Klimchuk Friday. I'll give some thoughts after.

I'm pretty good with timing games to our picks. This year I've seen Lazar, Jones, and now Klimchuk.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Sindiggy
STH Row 206 Row D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I'm checking out Klimchuk Friday. I'll give some thoughts after.

I'm pretty good with timing games to our picks. This year I've seen Lazar, Jones, and now Klimchuk.
Klimchuk is interesting because he's putting up pts on a bad Pats team. I always like the guys that can put up massive pts on a bad team, these are the guys that typically are skilled but also work extremely hard...anyway, just an observation that I've followed over the years.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It also means they get all of the minutes they fan handle in all of the most favorable situations and with probably the other one or two best offensive weapons on the team. Kinda depends on the situation.

Klimchuk is definitely one of my favorites in the draft, though. I'd be happy if we pick him.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:31 PM
hbk

saw the Tigers and Shrinkaruk tonight (sorry I wrote down Klimchuk earlier).

Very small but very skilled LW. Reminds me of Skinner from Carolina with the way he uses his edges on his skates. Very good offensive player with good vision and offensive instincts. Speed to burn as Hunter kept catching D flat footed and blowing past them to the outside for cross ice scoring chances most of the evening. Tigers were dominated though by the much larger more physical Blades team.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 12:07 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I don't actually think Shinkaruk is that small. He's got a frame. He's skates a little hunched over and is really thin. I do see room for filling out, though. He's not as compact looking as a guy like Skinner. At least that was my impression when watching him at the super series. He'd probably be my pick at seventh overall, but I'd be tempted to trade down. To me, he's like "the best of the rest" but not somebody that I'd be so much more incredibly thrilled to draft than Domi, Lazar, Pulock, etc that I wouldn't consider grabbing an extra asset in return for passing him up.

I really, really hope that the Memorial Cup features Edmonton, Quebec, and Windsor in Saskatoon. I'm desperate to get a first look at Erne and a new look at Rychel who has reportedly improved a lot since I last saw him. I'm already in love with Lazar and Samuelsson, and just plain like to watch them play.