HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

vCash: 500
Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Discuss.

Simple answer: Yes.

Prust needs support. He can't do it all by himself.

Last edited by Hannibal: 03-05-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
DAChampion

Can mods change the thread title to:

"Which heavyweight enforcer do the Habs need?"

Old
03-05-2013, 10:22 AM
MauditGreek*
Shhh, Be Careful!

Get the Greek

Hello Mr. Parros, did you know that Greek cuisine is second to none in Montreal? We have fantastic Greek eateries and a large Greek community, we have no douvt you would fit right in here and love the climate.

Sure it isn't as warm as Anaheim, Florida or Athens but that rockin stash would keep you warm!

Old
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauditGreek View Post
Hello Mr. Parros, did you know that Greek cuisine is second to none in Montreal? We have fantastic Greek eateries and a large Greek community, we have no douvt you would fit right in here and love the climate.

Sure it isn't as warm as Anaheim, Florida or Athens but that rockin stash would keep you warm!
It's like your very own built in all natural parka!

Old
03-05-2013, 10:36 AM
bud12

the caps signed and recalled Olesky for 3 years . Nice to see them go for toughness. The game again philly wasn't pretty for them.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Jerky

Yep Florida is the last place team in the East.....Weiss out for the season now. Kovalev cut. Team is not gonna pull another rabbit out of their hat like last year.

2-5-3 in their last 10 games.

What I'm getting at is they should be selling (they're still rebuilding after all)

We could send them a pick this year for Parros. Would help us more than them.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Yep Florida is the last place team in the East.....Weiss out for the season now. Kovalev cut. Team is not gonna pull another rabbit out of their hat like last year.

2-5-3 in their last 10 games.

What I'm getting at is they should be selling (they're still rebuilding after all)

We could send them a pick this year for Parros. Would help us more than them.
I would prefer Jared Boll, and trade Ryder for Ryane Clowe, a guy who could easily play with Plekky.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:52 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

We are currently standing first in the east and other team's pests don't take runs at our star players. They aren't getting injured at a faster rate than teams with heavyweights.

Do the Habs really need a Heavyweight enforcer now? This debate raged last year when the Habs looked like little female kittens all year. Its a different team this season, Therrien's style combined with Prust's arrival gives us a certain team toughness. There have been times this year were we physically dominated teams with insistant and aggressive checking, we didn't need a goon for that. Things will get even better once Bourque returns.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
We are currently standing first in the east and other team's pests don't take runs at our star players. They aren't getting injured at a faster rate than teams with heavyweights.

Do the Habs really need a Heavyweight enforcer now? This debate raged last year when the Habs looked like little female kittens all year. Its a different team this season, Therrien's style combined with Prust's arrival gives us a certain team toughness. There have been times this year were we physically dominated teams with insistant and aggressive checking, we didn't need a goon for that. Things will get even better once Bourque returns.
For how they are currently built...yes

Can't keep having Prust fight every other game, it's going to wear him down and reduce his effectiveness.

If guys like Moen would be more willing to share the load in terms of fighting, the Habs wouldn't need a heavyweight. But since that's not the case, the Habs need to find a functional middleweight at the very least.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:00 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
For how they are currently built...yes

Can't keep having Prust fight every other game, it's going to wear him down and reduce his effectiveness.

If guys like Moen would be more willing to share the load in terms of fighting, the Habs wouldn't need a heavyweight. But since that's not the case, the Habs need to find a functional middleweight at the very least.
I can agree with that. I don't know why Moen isn't dropping them anymore. He doesn't seem nearly as involved as before.

Prust, hypothetical additional middleweight, White and Bourque (somewhat) should allow us to field a decent fighting squad.

The problem with heavy weights is that they are generally very bad hockey players. How can they bring toughness when the coach doesn't even see the need to use them? Especially with Therrien rolling 4 lines. Heavy weights that can play are usually power forwards and we could definitely use another one, its just that they aren't cheap.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:03 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

At this point, I'm not even hoping for an HW especially. I just want someone who'll fight and allow Prust to take some nights off going forward. Moen is a disgrace. I'm done with him.

When he had nobody to back him up, people used that as an excuse for his no-shows. Now he gets Prust and White is healthy, and he won't even do anything. Quite the contrary, he's as passive as ever.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Et le But

As I wrote elsewhere, the one thing a heavyweight would help Prust with - being able to avoid fighting huge freaks once every two weeks or so, it won't give him a break on the other things he does. A Bordeleau or a Parros who only plays 5 minutes a night aren't going to help Prust when he's out there playing a physical, grinding game. If anything it means Prust double shifting since the team won't have Moen or Armstrong to eat minutes.

And Prust is still going to fight more than anyone else. For all the talk about how tough the Rangers were last year, he was tied with Thornton as the league leader in fights. Rupp and Bickel might have helped, but it didn't prevent him from fighting Clowe, Lucic, Rosehill, or Rinaldo. He's still the go to guy, because even bigger fighters aren't usually as brave as he is.

I won't lose sleep if we sign a giant goon, but if this is really about helping Prust, we need a Martin or a Boll type to play the game with him. Replace one of Armstrong or Moen with a guy like that and we will get much more value out of it.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:04 AM
MauditGreek*
Shhh, Be Careful!

Not just a fighter

Parros isn't just a fighter! He is a fashion accessory!

And yes we need a little more muscle. Look at what Prust has done to this team, but he can't do it alone all season, for numerous seasons and then on into the playoffs. He needs help.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
At this point, I'm not even hoping for an HW especially. I just want someone who'll fight and allow Prust to take some nights off going forward. Moen is a disgrace. I'm done with him.

When he had nobody to back him up, people used that as an excuse for his no-shows. Now he gets Prust and White is healthy, and he won't even do anything. Quite the contrary, he's as passive as ever.
I am sure Therrien did not ask White to not drop them anymore. Just be more selective in his outbursts.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauditGreek View Post
Parros isn't just a fighter! He is a fashion accessory!

And yes we need a little more muscle. Look at what Prust has done to this team, but he can't do it alone all season, for numerous seasons and then on into the playoffs. He needs help.
Jared Boll would be the perfect fit.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
bud12

Quote:

Did you watched the game again Toronto, Ottawa and Boston? How can you say that they don't take runs at our players?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
I am sure Therrien did not ask White to not drop them anymore. Just be more selective in his outbursts.
Sorry for not being clear, I meant Moen is as passive as ever, and that, even if he got Prust and White to back him up.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
Did you watched the game again Toronto, Ottawa and Boston? How can you say that they don't take runs at our players?
I really liked watching these games actually, we won vs Boston and stood up to them while we humiliated Toronto's brainless army of thugs.

It was brilliant and never were the Habs intimidated in any way. They did try to take some runs but so did we. We're playing with an edge sometimes this year.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I can agree with that. I don't know why Moen isn't dropping them anymore. He doesn't seem nearly as involved as before.

Prust, hypothetical additional middleweight, White and Bourque (somewhat) should allow us to field a decent fighting squad.

The problem with heavy weights is that they are generally very bad hockey players. How can they bring toughness when the coach doesn't even see the need to use them? Especially with Therrien rolling 4 lines. Heavy weights that can play are usually power forwards and we could definitely use another one, its just that they aren't cheap.
I'm not interested in a heavyweight that can't play hockey...I would settle for a Chris Thorburn anyday though. He's not a heavyweight, but a decent middleweight who can take a regular shift and not hurt you.

As it stands now, Moen/Armstrong are redundant...even more so if/when you add Nokelainen to that equation.

So i'm hoping MB looks at his team and sees Moen/Armstrong/Nokelainen and realizes the same thing I do, the redundancy, and tries to sacrifice one of them for some additional toughness.

I don't think the Habs need a fighter who is going to take on the Chara's, Lucic's, Scott's, Orr's of this world because those guys either won't fight a straight up goon (Chara, Lucic) or having a goon who fights the other teams goon (Scott, Orr) is completely useless IMO.

The other night vs the Bruins, it would of been nice to see Moen step in for Prust and take on Lucic, even if it was just a wrestling match. Just to show Prust that he has his back and he's not alone.

Anyways...it's just my opinion, if it was up to me fighting would be completely eradicated. But we're still about a decade away from there, so until then...

Old
03-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

In this video, you can see just little bit of what Bordeleau can brings to a hockey club. Look what his doing with Rosehill and Bollig in that video!

MB, go get him!!!

Old
03-05-2013, 11:27 AM
ClasslessGuy

Is we were interested in Parros, are we talking about a 6th? 7th? 5th? 4th?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Is we were interested in Parros, are we talking about a 6th? 7th? 5th? 4th?
a waitress from Vichy Buffet

Old
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
bud12

Quote:
I really liked watching these games actually, we won vs Boston and stood up to them while we humiliated Toronto's brainless army of thugs.

It was brilliant and never were the Habs intimidated in any way. They did try to take some runs but so did we. We're playing with an edge sometimes this year.
Toronto humiliated us too. And the only one that stood up again Bos was Prust. You can let ****ing Mcquaid challenge Eller or let him try to kill Desharnais in front of the net like he did without a respond. Marchand too, after what he did again Prust at the end of the period, you have to do something. And lets not talk about Thornton, who take a run at Chucky and Pk

Old
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM

I want Bordeleau. Make it happen Bergevin. Stop trying to claim heavyweights on waivers, we are 3rd in the league and there are 27 teams that have priority over us.

Just call Colorado's GM and make a small trade.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
DenverHabsFan

The game in Toronto was humiliating even though we won. We could have lost players to serious injuries the way the Leafs were just takings runs at all our players. Gallagher almost got concussed again. Our fourth line has not been contributing to our success so far. Let's rotate the guys on that line as needed and bring some brutes in the mix. Unilateral disarming in our division is not an option.

The thread name is wrong. It should say "how many do we need?".

Closed Thread