HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Lucasfilm (Star Wars trademark holders) require changes to Bryz's goalie mask

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 11:51 AM
  #1
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 57,973
vCash: 500
Lucasfilm (Star Wars trademark holders) require changes to Bryz's goalie mask

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...slam!%20hockey

Quote:
The art on the headpiece features an orange-tinged Yoda – one of the films’ characters – holding a red-coloured lightSabre, a weapon used in the trilogy. Red lightSabres are normally associated with Stars Wars villains, so Lucasfilm contacted the Flyers and asked for a change.
...
The colour of the lightSabre has since changed to green and Yoda’s skin tone also changed to his natural green hue.
Trademark holders can be sticklers.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
  #2
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Hmm. When I clicked on this thread I figured they would make him get a whole different design. I didnt expect they would ***** about the light Sabre color hahaha.

I wonder if he had to pay lucasfilms for the rights to get the design in the first place.

derriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
  #3
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef
 
Pilky01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Hmm. When I clicked on this thread I figured they would make him get a whole different design. I didnt expect they would ***** about the light Sabre color hahaha.

I wonder if he had to pay lucasfilms for the rights to get the design in the first place.


Thought the exact same thing.

I wonder if goalie helmets don't just fall under some sort of 'fair use' category, because lots of goalies use trademarked images and don't ever seem to get copyright complaints.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
  #4
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,447
vCash: 595
Since Disney now owns lucasfilms and are notorious for going after copyright infringers I expected the story to be about them telling Bryz to not use their characters on his mask. Interesting they just wanted the character to match the Star Wars universe.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  #5
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 31,648
vCash: 1
Could've sworn there was another topic about it, but it's not that surprising. If you don't enforce a copyright, you run the risk of losing it. I'm more surprised that they let him keep it with such minimal changes.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:28 PM
  #6
Mightygoose
I Am Groot
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
James Reimer's newest mask 'optimus reim' has an autobot logo (sort of) and Prime's shilouette on the left side. Haven't heard of Hasbro causing any flaps about.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1336977

Mightygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:53 PM
  #7
Ishad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
James Reimer's newest mask 'optimus reim' has an autobot logo (sort of) and Prime's shilouette on the left side. Haven't heard of Hasbro causing any flaps about.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1336977
This would be a good comparable if optimus was painted purple but as he's blue it isn't.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
  #8
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Lucasfilms is actually surprisingly supportive of people using their characters / imagery as long as no one is making money from it.

If you want to make your own Star Wars film / book and put it out on the web? Go for it. Just make sure you offer it up for free.

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:24 PM
  #9
tsanuri
Registered User
 
tsanuri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Grants Pass OR
Country: United States
Posts: 2,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
Lucasfilms is actually surprisingly supportive of people using their characters / imagery as long as no one is making money from it.

If you want to make your own Star Wars film / book and put it out on the web? Go for it. Just make sure you offer it up for free.
Yes but with the Disney buyout many were expecting this to change. Since Disney is the exact opposite, Use anything with our likeness on it and if you don't remove it we will sue you into the ground.

tsanuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
  #10
Mightygoose
I Am Groot
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishad View Post
This would be a good comparable if optimus was painted purple but as he's blue it isn't.
It's more of a comparison than it looks. The Essence of the article was Lucasfilm has an issue with the incorrect colour scheme with their characters.

Plus, BTW proper colour for Optimus is red.....purple is for them bad guys....

Saying that, Disney holds much more clout than Hasbro, so the later probably won't care too much

Mightygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  #11
kdb209
Global Moderator
 
kdb209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 12,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Yes but with the Disney buyout many were expecting this to change. Since Disney is the exact opposite, Use anything with our likeness on it and if you don't remove it we will sue you into the ground.
Yup - including things like day care centers with the Mouse painted on the wall.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
  #12
Ishad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
purple is for them bad guys....
Right. That was the point. Autobots logo is blue while Decpticons is purple much like Sith lords light Sabres are red. So optimus is colored for the correct side while yoda wasn't.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
  #13
Disclose
Registered User
 
Disclose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post


Thought the exact same thing.

I wonder if goalie helmets don't just fall under some sort of 'fair use' category, because lots of goalies use trademarked images and don't ever seem to get copyright complaints.
i remember the Hollywood sign im LAs goalie mask had to be removed

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:59 PM
  #14
jiggsawpuzzle35
Registered User
 
jiggsawpuzzle35's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The 949
Posts: 1,351
vCash: 500

I didn't realize they had a problem with this mask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disclose View Post
i remember the Hollywood sign im LAs goalie mask had to be removed

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
  #15
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,447
vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggsawpuzzle35 View Post

I didn't realize they had a problem with this mask.
The issue arose recently with Bernier. Hrudey used it withrelatively no issues and still has those old masks in storage I heard recently.

Story here about Bernier and Hrudey chims in vaguely remembering the same issue arising at the time but it didn't affect his usage of it.

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/03/kelly...-vs-hollywood/

Anyway, the followup story clarified and said it was fair use of the sign so it was actually no issue.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.