HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Winger Acquisition Thread | Part VI: Lacking Wingers, "We Lay Waste Our Powers"

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
The personnel in question makes me shudder, as well as all the debates on this board about how it shouldn't matter what position Malkin plays
Don't remind me.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:03 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Don't remind me.
Haha I know you know all too well.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
To be fair, the Pens have that same personnel PLUS their coaching staff in the building every night and still can't figure that out...
Touche.

Quote:
Don't remind me.
Fun poll question: Which was the more epic coaching move . . .

Edzo having Erik Christensen center Sid as a rookie?

Bylsma having Mr Hillary Duff center Geno going into the 2010-2011 season (with first year player Eric Tangradi at LW for the adventure, no less)?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:24 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Fun poll question: Which was the more epic coaching move . . .

Edzo having Erik Christensen center Sid as a rookie?

Bylsma having Mr Hillary Duff center Geno going into the 2010-2011 season (with first year player Eric Tangradi at LW for the adventure, no less)?
I choose C):

Edzo staring at the ceiling with his mouth shut while Mario talked during every timeout.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Fire Shero*

Well I guess we can close this thread for a couple of days after Shero went dumpster diving for an awesome winger in Tom Kostopolous. He will most likely play with Geno and Neal.

Who needs Iginla? We have the Greek thunder back! Yay Shero!

Old
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Well I guess we can close this thread for a couple of days after Shero went dumpster diving for an awesome winger in Tom Kostopolous. He will most likely play with Geno and Neal.

Who needs Iginla? We have the Greek thunder back! Yay Shero!
I really hope you don't actually believe this.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I wasn't here yesterday, so I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but apparently Pierre McGuire spoke yesterday on Montreal radio about the Penguins going "big-game hunting" this year. I know, I know. It's McGuire, and he's annoying and sensationalistic. But he IS quite close with Shero.

I guess this is why we have plenty of chatter about Iginla and Perry on the main boards.

For the record, I think I've changed my mind about acquiring these guys. I'd rather NOT to do it this year. I'd take my chances that they make it to market in July and take our chances in free agency (without giving up assets we can't afford to surrender).

I don't trust Shero to make a hockey trade that would help us here. And with the cap situation we're in, I don't think this is the year to trade any of our D prospects or our 2013 first rounder. We need those assets moving forward.

What we need most of all would be a young, cheap winger that we could bring along for the long haul (someone like Magnus Paajarvi, as one example, someone who is close to breaking out), and a veteran defenseman (ideally someone like Douglas Murray).

I want Perry or Iginla more than most, but I just don't see a deal that makes sense for us.

Trading Beau Bennett should be a non-starter.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
I wasn't here yesterday, so I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but apparently Pierre McGuire spoke yesterday on Montreal radio about the Penguins going "big-game hunting" this year. I know, I know. It's McGuire, and he's annoying and sensationalistic. But he IS quite close with Shero.

I guess this is why we have plenty of chatter about Iginla and Perry on the main boards.

For the record, I think I've changed my mind about acquiring these guys. I'd rather NOT to do it this year. I'd take my chances that they make it to market in July and take our chances in free agency (without giving up assets we can't afford to surrender).

I don't trust Shero to make a hockey trade that would help us here. And with the cap situation we're in, I don't think this is the year to trade any of our D prospects or our 2013 first rounder. We need those assets moving forward.

What we need most of all would be a young, cheap winger that we could bring along for the long haul (someone like Magnus Paajarvi, as one example, someone who is close to breaking out), and a veteran defenseman (ideally someone like Douglas Murray).

I want Perry or Iginla more than most, but I just don't see a deal that makes sense for us.

someone correct me, cuz I feel icky typing this, but I feel like Pierre has been right on every "prediction" he's made re: the Penguins.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
AquaticBirdman

Brendan Morrow.

/End

Old
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

We aren't getting Perry so it doesn't matter (it's less likely than Parise and we saw how that went down. he wants to get paid). Our best chance of signing Iginla is to trade for him in a deadline deal. Plus, don't you want to give our team the chance to win the cup this year? It's very unlikely that Iginla is, for example, traded to Boston at the deadline and go for a deep run and then signs with Pittsburgh July 1. Why would that make any sense? He's either staying with the trading team or retiring in Calgary.

Not to mention, when has Shero won on the "take his chances route" versus the trade route?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Jags I mean this in the best possible way but you need to step away from the computer for a while, maybe even away from hockey, and take a deep breath. Some of your recent posts about asset mgmt as it related to nobody players, and now NOT wanting Iggy or Perry if we had a shot this spring (hint: we can sign them just as easily this summer whether they make a 2013 Cup run with us or not).... your negativity / constantly looking for things that are wrong about our approach is affecting your judgement IMO.

You don't "trust" Shero to make a good hockey trade / manage our cap / etc?? Think about that for a second. Think about who you are, who Shero is, what he's done the last few years as far as hockey trades and cap mgmt, what's out there on the market... and explain why your "trust" should mean anything to us or anyone else. You need some perspective here, dude.

Reel it back in and take a deep breath. All is well. The end is not near. Let's see what Shero comes back with from his big game hunt and then be happy or angry as required. I trust ... that Shero is not going to do anything but improve this team. May not be exactly when I want or to the degree I want as a fan but... I'm just fan. My opinion and "trust" mean nothing.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 03-05-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

And yes, I would believe any theory Pierre McGuire puts forth about Shero WAY before I believe a POS story written by Rossi or reported by Madden, etc. If you want real information go to the national outlets because the local guys don't know squat. The team is not going ot give them one shred of information that we don't all see via the interviews after practice etc. Which is to say, no shreds.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Jags I mean this in the best possible way but you need to step away from the computer for a while, maybe even away from hockey, and take a deep breath. Some of your recent posts about asset mgmt as it related to nobody players, and now NOT wanting Iggy or Perry if we had a shot this spring (hint: we can sign them just as easily this summer whether they make a 2013 Cup run with us or not).... your negativity / constantly looking for things that are wrong about our approach is affecting your judgement IMO.

You don't "trust" Shero to make a good hockey trade / manage our cap / etc?? Think about that for a second. Think about who you are, who Shero is, what he's done the last few years as far as hockey trades and cap mgmt, what's out there on the market... and explain why your "trust" should mean anything to us or anyone else. You need some perspective here, dude.

Reel it back in and take a deep breath. All is well. The end is not near. Let's see what Shero comes back with from his big game hunt and then be happy or angry as required. I trust ... that Shero is not going to do anything but improve this team. May not be exactly when I want or to the degree I want as a fan but... I'm just fan. My opinion and "trust" mean nothing.

Just what is it that you're trying to tell me, CV?

Old
03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Bennett Brauer

Yeah I believe Pierre, he's not a BS artist like Rossi. Pierre actually knows what he's talking about. Look at the draft for example.

Before the Staal trade was announced.

"Any deal for Jordan Staal has to include Brandon Sutter, has to, or Pittsburgh doesn't do the deal"

"Brian Dumoulin is an A level prospect, I wouldn't be surprised if they go defense again here, they really like Derrick Pouliot out of Portland"

"The Penguins will be in the Zach Parise sweepstakes"

Pierre knows his stuff, I don't care if anyone says otherwise.

EDIT: For entertainment, I'll add a Rossi gem report from the draft.

"Done deal, Ray Shero acquires Keith Yandle from Phoenix"

Pierre: 3 - Rossi: 0

Old
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87
Just what is it that you're trying to tell me, CV?

I am trying to tell you that you need a break.

+

= a happier Jags.

And a happier Jags = happier posts. A balance of posts, if you will.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
Yep, Pierre is generally spot on about the Penguins.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
plaidchuck

Unfortunately as long as they have Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, and Letang signed the rental winger revolving door will be the only way to bring a big name here.

Question is what is plan B if Iginla doesn work out? Minnesota?

Old
03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I just don't think we're going in the right direction as an organization. The signs are there.

I'm looking at things long term because I don't see a quick fix that's going to put us ahead of the teams we need to beat in order to win the Cup (namely, the last THREE Cup winners).

And I don't think we can win again without a coaching change. So, Shero has a LOT of important decisions waning.

There is method to my perceived madness, CV, I assure you!

Old
03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
vyktor

So I remember back when RS traded Whitney, I really didn't know who Kunitz was. A lot of people said he was a throw in to the deal and Tangradi was the real meat of the deal.
So out side of the regular suspects that have been discussed to death, can anyone come up with a few Chris Kunitz guys RH preferably) RS might surprise us with.

He was 26 when he broke into the league full time, averaged about 15 ESG/season in his 3 seasons with the Ducks.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:17 PM
cheesedanish87

Im listening to the fan right now their having Kevin Allen on at 3 today they said he talked to john davidson about the JJ rumors it should be interesting to see what he says as far as i know Kevin Allen seems pretty reliable

Old
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Oxide

Kevin Allen is normally legitimate.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:25 PM
mpp9

We'd be idiots not to at least try and nab an available elite forward. Hopefully Pierre is spot on. I'd like to see Shero get ultra aggressive.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxide View Post
Kevin Allen is normally legitimate.

at 3 p.m., @ByKevinAllen has strong opinions on Jack Johnson and all things NHL, including Sid's loud statement last nite, 93.7 The Fan

Thats the tweet the host just put out Im assuming hes gonna say something like he talked to john davidson and theirs no chance they trade JJ.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Oxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
at 3 p.m., @ByKevinAllen has strong opinions on Jack Johnson and all things NHL, including Sid's loud statement last nite, 93.7 The Fan

Thats the tweet the host just put out Im assuming hes gonna say something like he talked to john davidson and theirs no chance they trade JJ.
I wouldn't doubt it.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

I heard Pierre as well on my drive home last night. He is very close to the Pens and Shero and normally doesn't just say crap about us

I just hope if Shero is to make a big move that it's for long term as well and not just for a cup run this year

Closed Thread