TSN: New NHL draft lottery rules

Old
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
There should be a rule that you can't draft 1st 2 years in a row.

Columbus got ripped off big time & the Oilers don't deserve another 1st pick.
now THAT i could ge tbehind. or you ahve diminished chances of winnign if you got the #1 the year prior

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

vCash: 50
What I would REALLY like to see is a draft system based on how many points last place has, and how many points are had by each team above them. If the last place team is TERRIBLE and 6 - 10 points behind the next team, they deserve odds that are pretty good. HOWEVER, if the second last team is only one point better than the last place team, their odds should be almost as good, because ONE shootout goal could be the difference between drafting Steven Stamkos or drafting some other guy who is probably good but more importantly, Isn't Steven Stamkos. I mean, any pick in the top 5 will HOPEFULLY be good, but if you pick first, you're WAY more likely to get a guy you can build a team around.

If 29th, and 30th are tied, and go into a shootout on the last day of the season, 29th place shouldn't be 8% less likely to get the chance to take the best player in the draft because their goalie had a better shootout. It should be closer to 1 - 3%, since they're virtually the same. The lottery odds should be adjusted to the margin of how badly a team needs the pick.

Or if there is only really 5 points separating 30th and 25th, they should all have odds that reflect that they all need the pick nearly as much. Obviously there would have to be fine print, limits on how far you could jack your odds by being terrible, but I think it would be a more fair system, and better account for the true gaps between borderline playoff teams, and total disasters.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Whileee

I think that they should decide the first overall pick with a shootout.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
MrWigglez

Will these changes take place this season or next?

MrWigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigglez View Post
Will these changes take place this season or next?
This season.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
What I would REALLY like to see is a draft system based on how many points last place has, and how many points are had by each team above them. If the last place team is TERRIBLE and 6 - 10 points behind the next team, they deserve odds that are pretty good. HOWEVER, if the second last team is only one point better than the last place team, their odds should be almost as good, because ONE shootout goal could be the difference between drafting Steven Stamkos or drafting some other guy who is probably good but more importantly, Isn't Steven Stamkos. I mean, any pick in the top 5 will HOPEFULLY be good, but if you pick first, you're WAY more likely to get a guy you can build a team around.

If 29th, and 30th are tied, and go into a shootout on the last day of the season, 29th place shouldn't be 8% less likely to get the chance to take the best player in the draft because their goalie had a better shootout. It should be closer to 1 - 3%, since they're virtually the same. The lottery odds should be adjusted to the margin of how badly a team needs the pick.

Or if there is only really 5 points separating 30th and 25th, they should all have odds that reflect that they all need the pick nearly as much. Obviously there would have to be fine print, limits on how far you could jack your odds by being terrible, but I think it would be a more fair system, and better account for the true gaps between borderline playoff teams, and total disasters.

it's interesting that you say that. A look at a lot of draft years though, and it's suprising. First overall often doesn't endup becoming the best player from the draft.
I'm sure it is the best more frequently then any other one pick, but there's usually at least 1 other player taken that pushes/overcome the #1 ova for best player from a given year.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

vCash: 50
Absolutely true, but a lot of guys who become face of the league kind of guys, are top five, if not first picks.

Quick wiki look tells me Ovi and Malkin 1/2 in 04, Crosby in 05, in 06, fair enough, the highest picked guy to really become the face of his team was Toews at 3rd, (behind Erik Johnson and Jordan Stall), Kane and Couture are argueably the best picks out of 07, Kane being 1st. 08 being Stamkos and 09 being Tavares. In MOST of those years, the guy who is a build around kind of guy more than anyone else in their year is the 1st overall.

I mean, sometimes you can take Datsyuk at 160some or whatever he was (rd. 6) and he blooms but if you need a player to build around REALLY badly, more than any other team, you should be 1st overall, because you get the best chance to get a superstar. BUT a team who needs it ALMOST as bad (only 1 point above you) should have ALMOST the same odds of getting that guy.

OR I should say, getting the opportunity to draft that guy. Whether or not you screw up your pick is always up to you.

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Well if there's any team that this new system helps its us. The lottery is just for 1st overall though right? No positional jostling after #1 is picked?

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Well if there's any team that this new system helps its us. The lottery is just for 1st overall though right? No positional jostling after #1 is picked?
Thats correct. ts just whoever wins gets to pick first and everyone is moved down one spot as appropriate.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote