HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

**The Official Metal Thread III**

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Behn Wilson

vCash: 500
I just recently bought the Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes cd. I had seen it recently pop up on a few of best of death metal lists so figured Id give it a whirl. I liked it. Wasnt blow away by it but liked it. Was thinking of next getting their debut cd The Karelian Isthmus. Id read they were death metal the first two albums then kind of changed styles a bit.

Not sure if I will get it but thinking of it. Will probably give the Tales cd another spin before I decide.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Mort Divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Thanks bobo!

1st vid: One sucked major.
2nd vid: One sucked major as well.
3rd vid: This one was pretty damn sick.
4th vid: Pretty good, but vocals sounds too much like As I Lay Dying crap.
5th vid: Again; great music, but terrible vocals.

The music is pretty sick (reminds me of Bolt Thrower), but the singer is absolutely terrible. I think I will stick with BT, Gojira, and Disillusion,

Tomas Lindberg is one of the best metal vocalists there is - especially on The Red in the Sky Is Ours ...

Also REALLY don't get how you think they're in any way musically comparable to Bolt Thrower...but okay

Old
03-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Lol I now have to earn credibility here? Seriously what a trash post, but you normally have these types of posts so I am not surprised.

That is sure a lot of bands you posted there, I wonder how many sound exactly the same considering it is Death Metal. A reason why death metal is just like Metalcore in terms of uncreative sound. The last reason why majority of death metal sucks is because of the fans, unbelievably selfish, retarded, and such a narcissistic approach to music.
Stick to talking about the WHL, since you clearly know nothing about metal. I offer you hordes of awesome bands from a variety of genres (meanwhile, you don't know who At the Gates is and then think they sound like Bolt Thrower), yet my post is trash? And then you insult Tomas Lindberg. If he was such a ****** vocalist, how come so many bands have recruited him to do vocals? Grotesque, At the Gates, Nightrage, Skitsystem, Disfear, the Crown, etc. He's usually regarded as one of the best extreme metal vocalists of all time.

As for death metal being uncreative, you couldn't be more wrong. Gorguts, Portal, Demilich, Nocturnus, Timeghoul, diSEMBOWELMENT, etc. are among the most forward thinking and interesting bands to ever play metal.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Everlasting

Amorphis album Skyforger is perfect. I dont get the amorphis hate here, they are kickass. Before, they were okay, but now they are even better.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:14 AM
Mort Divine

I'd argue that death, black, and doom really are the only creative genres of metal left.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:15 AM
Disgruntled Goat

My three new albums i bought today:

Old
03-05-2013, 03:28 AM
Everlasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Divine View Post
I'd argue that death, black, and doom really are the only creative genres of metal left.
Power metal is by far more creative then death, black and doom. There is soo many diffrent sounds, influences and styles of it. Death/Black often sounds just the same if you ask me. Power metal is a genre who dares to take influences from basiclly every genre out there. It does not matter if it is classic music, folk, Jazz, eurodance, blues or 80s pop music. This have created tons of diffrent styles and sounds within the genre. You can also sing about everything, there is no specific theme tied to power metal. Want to be succesfull in the gerne? You must sound diffrent from the rest.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:39 AM
Mort Divine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Power metal is by far more creative then death, black and doom. There is soo many diffrent sounds, influences and styles of it. Death/Black often sounds just the same if you ask me. Power metal is a genre who dares to take influences from basiclly every genre out there. It does not matter if it is classic music, folk, Jazz, eurodance, blues or 80s pop music. This have created tons of diffrent styles and sounds within the genre. You can also sing about everything, there is no specific theme tied to power metal. Want to be succesfull in the gerne? You must sound diffrent from the rest.

Taking random elements from genres of music that are artistically incompatible with the spirit of metal is NOT creativity at work. It is an attempt at gathering attention by doing something "OH SO RANDOM AND CRAZY" rather than through the merit of their work being in the compositional strength.

Black metal is significantly more diverse than any other style of metal and it isn't even something that can be argued.

WARNING: YOUTUBE SPAM AHEAD

Power metal does not even come CLOSE to the variety of styles black metal has to its name

Old
03-05-2013, 03:55 AM
Everlasting

So you have the ultimate truth on what the "spirit of metal" is, and the spirits of every other genre, and with that, developed a measuring instruments where you can see how metal each genre is, and from that, decide what is "artistically comparable" with metal...

Old
03-05-2013, 04:01 AM
Mort Divine

Considering I quite obviously listen to more metal than you (listening to just power, heavy, thrash and maybe a few entry level extreme metal bands means you really don't have a valid opinion on metal as a whole) in this case yes.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

Quote:
Ok how the hell did this awesome?

turn into this crap?

I have been listen to Jester Race and I still can not get into In Flames, there is just something I dislike about them. That said I prefer Stormlord.

HEY, YOU TAKE THAT BACK. *Pushes*

I love both eras of Amorphis, just like I love both eras of Katatonia. In my opinion, doom bands should try to write at least ONE pop album in their career.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Diskothek

Randy Blythe acquitted of causing a fan's death in Prague.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/0...9240IS20130305

Old
03-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Ozz

Great news! I was worried for the poor guy. Innocence or not, you just never know...

Old
03-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Hippasus

Quote:
an even BIGGER shame is your lack of mentioning BEHERIT!
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
I just recently bought the Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes cd. I had seen it recently pop up on a few of best of death metal lists so figured Id give it a whirl. I liked it. Wasnt blow away by it but liked it. Was thinking of next getting their debut cd The Karelian Isthmus. Id read they were death metal the first two albums then kind of changed styles a bit.

Not sure if I will get it but thinking of it. Will probably give the Tales cd another spin before I decide.
Highly suggest you order it man. It's got Privilege of Evil at the end on the re-issue and is first-rate death metal in my opinion.

Quote:
Taking random elements from genres of music that are artistically incompatible with the spirit of metal is NOT creativity at work. It is an attempt at gathering attention by doing something "OH SO RANDOM AND CRAZY" rather than through the merit of their work being in the compositional strength.

Black metal is significantly more diverse than any other style of metal and it isn't even something that can be argued.
Agree with the first paragraph wholeheartedly. On the second, I'd say, death metal is up there too.

Last edited by Hippasus: 03-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 11:47 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Stick to talking about the WHL, since you clearly know nothing about metal. I offer you hordes of awesome bands from a variety of genres (meanwhile, you don't know who At the Gates is and then think they sound like Bolt Thrower), yet my post is trash? And then you insult Tomas Lindberg. If he was such a ****** vocalist, how come so many bands have recruited him to do vocals? Grotesque, At the Gates, Nightrage, Skitsystem, Disfear, the Crown, etc. He's usually regarded as one of the best extreme metal vocalists of all time.
No what was trash about your post, was stating I have to earn creditably around here, that was the trash. Dude they're music sounds Bolt Thrower-ish, not the vocals. The singer in Bolt Thrower is a billion times better. Whocares if all those bands recruited him, 99.9% of the world is filled with terrible bands and I wouldn't surprised if those bands are hella overrated as well.

Quote:
As for death metal being uncreative, you couldn't be more wrong. Gorguts, Portal, Demilich, Nocturnus, Timeghoul, diSEMBOWELMENT, etc. are among the most forward thinking and interesting bands to ever play metal.
I will listen to 2-3 songs of each band and I will give you my rebuttal on if they're creative or sound the same to each other.

[mod]

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-05-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: qdp
Old
03-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Hippasus

Lindberg changed his vocal style when he went from Grotesque to At the Gates. The main issue I have with At the Gates' Red in the Sky is Ours is the clean production IMO. Ekeroth said this too in Swedish Death Metal. At the Gates' Slaughter of the Soul is maybe a tiny bit like some later Bolt Thrower but that's still a stretch.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Mort Divine

The production of TRITSIO is brilliant as it is. It gives it kind of 'black metal' feel - I dunno, but I can't imagine the album with a more typical production for Swedish DM.

Listened to AILD (oh god why) just to check, and no way does their vocalist sound like Lindberg. Also they sound nothing like Bolt Thrower musically either.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Everlasting

This girl is such a great singer, she makes Gossow look like Britney spears

Last edited by Everlasting: 03-05-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Mort Divine

and Ozma makes Shadow's vocalist sound like a prepubescent boy

Old
03-05-2013, 01:05 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
and Ozma makes Shadow's vocalist sound like a prepubescent boy

YES!!!! And here I thought I was the only one who knew about this band. Great band for sure.

Shame they only released the one EP though.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Alright, let's cut the condescending elitism and flaming. Keep it civil, don't belittle other users.

03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

[MOD]

Grotesque and As I lay Dying were terrible songs. The singers vocal chords sound like they're between puberty and adults, so bad.

Even though the same singer is in Disfear and Grotesque, he remarkably better in Disfear than he is in the other bands including At the Gate. At what point did he join Disfear compared to his other bands, because his voice sounds much more matured than the others?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 03-05-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Qdp, etc
Old
03-05-2013, 03:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

What if I've never heard Grotesque?

You guys really need to calm down. Different people like different forms of metal and even if it's in the same genre or sounds the same, maybe they don't like the singer much or the guitarist or drummer. Everyone has different preferences. I'm not that much for death metal (not much for the band Death, for that matter), but I still enjoy metal.

I should rephrase that. I'm not much for traditional death metal.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
What if I've never heard Grotesque?
Then you have some homework to do.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't like Grotesque.

Digging these guys right now, though. I guess I just got bored with the "traditional" stuff.