HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Moen&Colby Joseph Armstrong thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
  #151
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't like both Moen AND Armstrong as our first options. Not because they are cowards or because of some nonsense slander from a Quebecor network, but because they are old, slow and not as physical as they used to be. Individually they are fine, they are good defensively and decent hockey players who let our top 9 rest while keeping the team competitive. But I'd like it more if Armstrong was the 13th forward. Prust is going to fight bigger and stronger guys no matter what though.

Our 4th line has been a strength, it can get better but I really don't understand this level of negativity.
When Prust will get injured because he fought a bigger guy or Heavyweight, don't come here saying that you still don't understand the level of negativity.

Prust in NY didn't had to fight heavyweight because guys like Rupp and Bickel were willing to do their jobs. Unlike Moen, Armstrong and White.

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
  #152
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Dude, what are you talking about? If Prust went down, it's nobody's fault. He's paid 2.5 million dollars, and he fights a lot. Just like he did last year in NYR. He's the sherriff on this team because he's good at it. He fights. If Prust wasn't there, Moen would fight. But nobody needs to. They need to play hockey.
Prust going down could be prevented. But hey. We're winning. Let's keep everything as they are and hope for the best until the unavoidable happens.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
  #153
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
yeah! Armstrong and White, both -2. Moen -1. Armstrong and Moen 0 hits. Worked really fine.
Okay, you're right. Call Marc Bergevin. Get on the phone, break that **** up. Clearly this team need's a shakeup.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
  #154
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
So because Prust is a scrapper, Moen should run around fighting? No. Prust is a hockey player who has the added bonus of being a tough mofo that can drop the gloves. It's his role on the team. It's what Therrien asks of him.

Brandon Prust fights, so Travis Moen should fight all the time? No, Moen should play smart defensive hockey. If it's necessary for him to drop them, he would. I'm sure he has his boy Prust's back.
0 hits. ZERO. HITS. Against Boston, in a physical game. How does that sound for you?

Prust usually drops the mitts 20 games per year on average, I would expect Moen to stand up and take 8 to 10 for the team per 82 games season, on opportunistic occasions. Not at the most random moments like he did against Thorburn and Crombeen this season.

That sure was fun to see McQuaid running after Eller eh?

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
  #155
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
On a random note, I'd be curious to see how well Eller could handle himself in a hockey fight. He's strong like a bull and doesn't seem to shy away from post-whistle scrums and is usually in the middle of them.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
  #156
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
When Prust will get injured because he fought a bigger guy or Heavyweight, don't come here saying that you still don't understand the level of negativity.

Prust in NY didn't had to fight heavyweight because guys like Rupp and Bickel were willing to do their jobs. Unlike Moen, Armstrong and White.
Except this isn't true. Rupp and Bickel let him be more selective, but Prust still fought Lucic, Zack Smith, Sestito, Clowe, among others. Prust doesn't back down from anyone which means he's going to get beat down from time to time no matter what. This is nothing new for him.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
  #157
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Okay, you're right. Call Marc Bergevin. Get on the phone, break that **** up. Clearly this team need's a shakeup.
ooooooo you don't like it

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
  #158
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Except this isn't true. Rupp and Bickel let him be more selective, but Prust still fought Lucic, Zack Smith, Sestito, Clowe, among others. Prust doesn't back down from anyone which means he's going to get beat down from time to time no matter what. This is nothing new for him.
Last three Prust fighs:

Joe Finley: 6'8 250lbs
Mark Fraser: 6'4 220lbs
Milan Lucic: 6'4 220lbs

That's acceptable? With Moen, Armstrong and White not doing his job + lack of a heavyweight = Prust can't be selective. He has to fight everybody, unlike in NY, where he could choose his opponent.

That's acceptable, right?

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
  #159
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Except this isn't true. Rupp and Bickel let him be more selective, but Prust still fought Lucic, Zack Smith, Sestito, Clowe, among others. Prust doesn't back down from anyone which means he's going to get beat down from time to time no matter what. This is nothing new for him.
Prust fought 20 times last season.

This year, on a 82 games pace, he'd have to fight almost 28 times.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
  #160
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
0 hits. ZERO. HITS. Against Boston, in a physical game. How does that sound for you?

Prust usually drops the mitts 20 games per year on average, I would expect Moen to stand up and take 8 to 10 for the team per 82 games season, on opportunistic occasions. Not at the most random moments like he did against Thorburn and Crombeen this season.

That sure was fun to see McQuaid running after Eller eh?
So because McQuaid, who is a moron, takes out his frustration by challenging a guy who would obviously beat the **** out of, Moen should go out next shift and fight McQuaid? Why? Do get 20,000 Bruins fans going nuts behind their team in the stands? So that it can escalate to Shawn Thorton fighting White, and etc, and etc?

I agree with you, watching McQuaid-Eller sequence was annoying. But also because I knew Eller was jousting with his stick and would get ****ed up. It's a tough call to make, because as talented as he is, it would be nice to have a lineup of 12 guys who don't have to back down from anyone.

I don't care about how many hits Moen was marked as having on the scorecoard. Do you think the 20 guys on the team are like, "Damn, I wish Moen would have fought someone". No I bet they are quite happy taking the high road and winning the game.

The way to add more muscle to this team is through adding one or two tough defenceman instead of having eight (8!) guys who are not physically intimidating.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
  #161
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
So because McQuaid, who is a moron, takes out his frustration by challenging a guy who would obviously beat the **** out of, Moen should go out next shift and fight McQuaid? Why? Do get 20,000 Bruins fans going nuts behind their team in the stands? So that it can escalate to Shawn Thorton fighting White, and etc, and etc?

I agree with you, watching McQuaid-Eller sequence was annoying. But also because I knew Eller was jousting with his stick and would get ****ed up. It's a tough call to make, because as talented as he is, it would be nice to have a lineup of 12 guys who don't have to back down from anyone.

I don't care about how many hits Moen was marked as having on the scorecoard. Do you think the 20 guys on the team are like, "Damn, I wish Moen would have fought someone". No I bet they are quite happy taking the high road and winning the game.

The way to add more muscle to this team is through adding one or two tough defenceman instead of having eight (8!) guys who are not physically intimidating.
ZE-RO. HITS.

There's a fair difference between running after McQuaid and starting a bashfest on the ice, and not hitting anybody on the ice against a hated rival.

The role of a 4th line is to make the opponent's life miserable and to take the body on them. This 4th line has not done any of this last Sunday, neither have they done so for most of the year.

I'm pretty sure guys like Subban, Galchenyuk, Eller and Desharnais wish they got more help from Moen when Prust already had his hands full with Lucic.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  #162
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
ooooooo you don't like it
Great response, well thought out. You don't like Moen and Armstrong, what's your idea to solve? Trade two players in the middle of the season from your team? Post a smiley face on the internet?

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
  #163
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Great response, well thought out. You don't like Moen and Armstrong, what's your idea to solve? Trade two players in the middle of the season from your team? Post a smiley face on the internet?
We're on a hockey board to, you know, discuss hockey. If everyone kept their mouth shut because they couldn't do anything about something they see and they're not happy about on their team, this place would be dead.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
  #164
The Doors
Registered User
 
The Doors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
We're on a hockey board to, you know, discuss hockey. If everyone kept their mouth shut because they couldn't do anything about something they see and they're not happy about on their team, this place would be dead.
I'm all for talking hockey. If I had access to it I would happily go watch the game and follow every one of the fourth line shifts and try and look at the good things they did.

I'm asking, what is your solution? To trade these players? To bench them? Tell me, let's talk fourth line. I want to hear it.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:16 PM
  #165
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Last three Prust fighs:

Joe Finley: 6'8 250lbs
Mark Fraser: 6'4 220lbs
Milan Lucic: 6'4 220lbs

That's acceptable? With Moen, Armstrong and White not doing his job + lack of a heavyweight = Prust can't be selective. He has to fight everybody, unlike in NY, where he could choose his opponent.

That's acceptable, right?
I'm fine with Prust getting outmatched. He fights Lucic pretty much every season. He's getting paid quite well not because he's the Manny Pacquiao pound for pound champion, but because he stands up to anyone. But I agree he should not have to fight every big lug who challenges him, and should be getting some help.

First of all, I know White is trying to learn, but the fact that he hasn't been fighting at all lately has got to be coaches orders or something and I don't it staying that way.

And yes, Moen should be fighting more. I disagree that it's his primary role, but every so often he should be willing to give Prust a break. However he's still more useful than Armstrong overall.

I'd gladly replace one of Moen or Armstrong with a more energetic player. The problem is, a heavyweight plug won't do anything to stop these criticisms since the Bordeleaus of the world should not play every game, or even half of the games.

And true upgrades are expensive. I kind of wish instead of Moen we signed Tootoo or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Prust fought 20 times last season.

This year, on a 82 games pace, he'd have to fight almost 28 times.
Fighting is also up throughout the league. Prust isn't even the league leader in fights. Speaking of the league leader, I do agree with others that Boll is someone who should be targetted.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:12 PM
  #166
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Saying there's nothing wrong with Moen is what is actually wrong on this thread. There are no words to describe how much of a coward, how much of a phony he's been in the last games against Boston and Toronto. The day Prust gets hurt because mister wants to play fancy hockey, call me back and tell me there's nothing wrong with Moen.

You don't play forwards 1.8M to play "defensive hockey that doesn't hurt your team on the 4th line". He's paid to add something extra to his game, he knows it to damn well, and he keeps playing like a massive turd out there.

As for not hurting, he's the only player along with the Joker (Armstrong) who has a negative +/- ratio.
I can't believe with all this team has been through in the last 5 years that some Habs are still willing to accept passengers like Moen and how they are satisfied with his play.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:22 PM
  #167
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I can't believe with all this team has been through in the last 5 years that some Habs are still willing to accept passengers like Moen and how they are satisfied with his play.
Let's be honest... never has it been as bad as this year though. This is embarassing.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:32 PM
  #168
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Let's be honest... never has it been as bad as this year though. This is embarassing.
It was bad during the last two years of Martin too, remember the beating in Boston the year they won the cup? What's strange this year is that we seem hitting less than last year and MT is supposed to be a coach that likes the physical stuff. I don't know if it's due to the system the Habs play or whatever.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:09 PM
  #169
Anksun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,565
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I had enough of Moen 2 years ago. He cant of redeem himself last year (on a dreadful team, playing top9 minutes which he should not), but it looks like it was nothing but a smokescreen of a contract year for him.

This year, Prust have been given his last year role (and is doing it 10 times better) and Moen isnt willing to play the way he got his contract.

Trade him for a physical 4th liner asap if any gm in this league still believe he can start playing well again because it wont last long.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
  #170
doc lafleur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Our problem come from the fact Kaberle and Weber must stay up...I'm sure he would love to move Kab and one of the 2 dogs for some real size and grit. I think Colby may have given his biggest hit of the season tonight.
I do not want to go to war with pea shooters

doc lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:03 AM
  #171
Slugger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
I agree that Moen has floated a bit this year, but he's still playing defensively responsible hockey, and is our best option on wing for PK's. Hes always been a guy that steps it up on the playoffs. When we went to the East Finals, he was *****in' crushing Pittsburgh Penguins, it became evident that he was getting tired though, as that was the softest team that had ever been assembled by the time we played Philly.

With Prust and White on the team now, maybe he's taking it easy a bit, focusing on hockey more. He's still got into a couple tilly's already. I'm not sure what you guys want from him? He's been averaging like 6-7 fights a year for the last few.

Moen is a "depth" toughness guy. He's never been a guy that leads the charge in that regard, but he's there if things get hairy on he's on the ice. He's fought virtually everyone on the Bruins outside of Lucic.

Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:58 AM
  #172
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
The reason Travis Moen was resigned is because he played very well averaged out over his previous three years here.

He spent a lot of time on Plekanec's wing over the years as injuries piled up. He got 23 goals and 28 assists over 208 regular season games played with the Habs over three years.

He might be playing less well now, but he's doing 4th line duty, a lot of shutdown and 2 minutes a game on the PK.

He's done well enough before that I'm willing to give him time.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
  #173
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 567
I'm willing to give time to Moen to but not on a scoring line....

He's suppose to be a grinder. I know Bourque is injured but com on he's no playmaker

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.