HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Briere headed to Montreal? - rumour

Old
07-23-2006, 11:59 AM
BigTimer*

vCash: 500
Briere headed to Montreal? - rumour

In fact, Briere could be involved in a "sign-and-trade" within the next couple of days. The two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately. Montreal, Los Angeles and Atlanta are among the teams in the mix. - tsn.ca

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:00 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Hmmm for Ryder?

Old
07-23-2006, 12:02 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz View Post
Hmmm for Ryder?
Maybe Ribs and something else, Briere would be the great playmaker Ryder needs to get to 40+.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:02 PM
InGaineyWeTrust*

Very interesting, probably for Ryder and/or a youngster like perez or lats

i would do it in a heartbeat, even though we dont need another small forward, you just cant pass on the oportunity

InGaineyWeTrust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:05 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Maybe Ribs and something else, Briere would be the great playmaker Ryder needs to get to 40+.
Yeah, getting rid of Ryder for Briere would make no sense. Give them Ribeiro and a blue-chipper or two with some picks to boot.

Old
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
Briere for Ryder straight up? That'd never happen. Briere could be a first line center on most teams while Ryder wouldnt be a first liner on most teams.

We'd have to add a pick/prospect
Agreed 100%.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shatmat*

In the new NHL Briere is a 90-100pts player IMO.

I would give Ribeiro + Ryder + Dandeneault or a pick for him

We already have too many small forwards that's why Ribs has to go

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:07 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

If Buffalo trade Brière, they will be like their new logo : stupid

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:07 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule View Post
Agreed 100%.
Yeah and I deleted my post unintentionally.

Anyways...if Briere comes our way...we'd need to deal Ribeiro..if not we'd have a problem.

Koivu
Briere
Ribeiro

No way.

From what I've seen...Briere can really score. He has a beautiful wrister...and how much times have we complained about the lack of scoring touch of our centers?

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Schooner Guy

I don't want him. Too much money for a small, weak player. He puts up the offensive numbers and is very creative but he's also an injury risk. When we invest $5 million per year in a player, I want it to be a safer investment.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

French Canadian star *and* the quality center the Habs have been looking for? He even shoots right.

Too beautiful to be true even though he's expensive... Would Buffalo really deal him to a division rival?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Yeah, getting rid of Ryder for Briere would make no sense. Give them Ribeiro and a blue-chipper or two with some picks to boot.
As a Sabres fan, I say no deal. I doubt a long term deal will get done, and if one is completed, he's staying in Buffalo.

Buffalo is a team contending for the Cup this year; they aren't going to trade away their best scorer for Ribeiro + picks.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One
Briere for Ryder straight up? That'd never happen. Briere could be a first line center on most teams while Ryder wouldnt be a first liner on most teams.

We'd have to add a pick/prospect
Yes but contract $ are now as important in assesing a player's value than their talent level. Ryder for Briere when salaries are equal is highway robbery. Ryder at 2.5M for Briere at 5M is probably a wash (you'll have to argue long and hard to convince me Briere was worth that amount. Maybe if he can put up a whole injury free season at a PPG pace, but he's never done it yet).

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I don't want him. Too much money for a small, weak player. He puts up the offensive numbers and is very creative but he's also an injury risk. When we invest $5 million per year in a player, I want it to be a safer investment.
I wouldn't call him an injury risk. He had that freak injury last year, had the surgery, and was fine. I think that's his only injury in his career to boot.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Well the difference between this and all the other rumours out there are this is not on Eklund, or any of those other bogus sites... This comes from TSN, so I imagine it is quite possible.

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED

Firthbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:13 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Yeah and I deleted my post unintentionally.

Anyways...if Briere comes our way...we'd need to deal Ribeiro..if not we'd have a problem.

Koivu
Briere
Ribeiro

No way.
With Begin and Bonk there at centre we have too many and we need those two for the 3rd and 4th lines, Ribs would be expendable and Buffalo would need to address their centre position in dealing Briere and Ribs could be a good fit with Dumont in Buffalo. Sabres don;t like big salaries, thats why Mckee is gone so Briere will be gone and they will rather have two players at that price instead of 1.

A Ribs and a Dman for Briere may make sense since Buffalo lost Mckee and their D is either really young (Paetsch) or really old (Numminen), maybe both sides would add more to address their team needs more....Buffalo may send more than Briere.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:13 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst233 View Post
As a Sabres fan, I say no deal. I doubt a long term deal will get done, and if one is completed, he's staying in Buffalo.

Buffalo is a team contending for the Cup this year; they aren't going to trade away their best scorer for Ribeiro + picks.
Buffalo's cheap. You never know and plus Briere at 5 million takes away from his value. Not to mention Ribeiro costing 2.5 times less than Briere could maybe allow the Sabres to ice a team for the upcoming season.

Old
07-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Sabre fans raise an interesting point on their board: After an arbitrator gives his verdict, aren't teams not allowed to sign a player to an extension until Jan 1?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:17 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
Sabre fans raise an interesting point on their board: After an arbitrator gives his verdict, aren't teams not allowed to sign a player to an extension until Jan 1?
seems to me its 48 hours...

as per tsn...

Quote:
The Sabres now have 48 hours to accept the settlement or reject it and allow Briere to become an unrestricted free agent. Even if the Sabres accept the one-year deal, Briere will be eligible for free agency after the season

Old
07-23-2006, 12:17 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
Perhaps that only applies if the Sabres were to accept the arbitrators ruling.

Old
07-23-2006, 12:18 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
We trade Ryder for Brière before he himself receives 3.5 millions from arbitration... The amount awarded are just amazing...

KLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:20 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Yes but contract $ are now as important in assesing a player's value than their talent level. Ryder for Briere when salaries are equal is highway robbery. Ryder at 2.5M for Briere at 5M is probably a wash (you'll have to argue long and hard to convince me Briere was worth that amount. Maybe if he can put up a whole injury free season at a PPG pace, but he's never done it yet).
Yep, you've a point. Briere at 5 wouldn't the best thing. Ribeiro at 1.9 could be a steal if he puts up 60+ points. It's hard to tell...I don't really know if Buffalo would be interested in Ribs. We already have alot of overpaid players and Ryder could receive more then 3M+ with the arbitration thing but Briere would be an improvement over Ribs (injuries are a concern though).

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:20 PM
InGaineyWeTrust*

Higgins Koivu Ryder
Samsonov Briere Kovalev

Buffalo is a cheap team, they set their own cap at several million under the leagues, so they are always cramped, and would drop salary if necessary.

InGaineyWeTrust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Schooner Guy

I'd rather wait for Gomez. A couple of years younger and quite a bit beefier than Briere.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Quote:
Yep, you've a point. Briere at 5 wouldn't the best thing. Ribeiro at 1.9 could be a steal if he puts up 60+ points. It's hard to tell...I don't really know if Buffalo would be interested in Ribs. We already have alot of overpaid players and Ryder could receive more then 3M+ with the arbitration thing but Briere would be an improvement over Ribs (injuries are a concern though).
Imagine though..

Sammy-Briere-Kovy

Firthbird is offline   Reply With Quote