HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 02:36 AM
LandoClog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Think there's any chance we can somehow move Stastny for Jack Johnson?
What if value is added in something like Elliot and Stastny?

Old
03-05-2013, 07:02 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Pass on Jack Johnson, he's far to one-sided.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:03 AM
Bubba Thudd
HO HO HO

vCash: 5768
Pass on trading a guy like Elliott before we find out what we have in him.

03-05-2013, 08:34 AM
volaju
coffee to DUI for

JJ is the posterboy for determining dead-weight via advanced stats. If you think the rest of the league crowing about EJ is annoying now, wait until you have both Johnsons anchoring the blueline.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Pass on Jack Johnson, he's far to one-sided.
The one side this team desperately needs.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
JJ is the posterboy for determining dead-weight via advanced stats. If you think the rest of the league crowing about EJ is annoying now, wait until you have both Johnsons anchoring the blueline.
Yeah, but if it is Stastny the Avs trade for him, then it is one player other fans clamor about for another player other fans clamor about. The Avs players will still be **** on the same, but it would be a poor defensively defencemen instead of an "overpaid 3rd line center."

Jack Johnson is a horse. If EJ can be a postive +/- player playing with Hunwick/Wilson/O'Brien, I'm sure he can cover enough for JJ.

That said, I don't think Columbus would go for that.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:19 AM
northstarnicky

Hi guys,

Leaf fan here, wondering if someone could give me an honest evaluation of Stastny. Has he played with great scoring wingers? He need more help? Lazy? Strong on the puck? Hockey sense?

Thanks for the eval

Been hearing his name come up recently, but many pundits think he will be very difficult to move with the cap dropping so much next year.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Alex B

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarnicky View Post
Hi guys,

Leaf fan here, wondering if someone could give me an honest evaluation of Stastny. Has he played with great scoring wingers? He need more help? Lazy? Strong on the puck? Hockey sense?

Thanks for the eval

Been hearing his name come up recently, but many pundits think he will be very difficult to move with the cap dropping so much next year.
He's mainly been playing with Jones, who's been up and down, mostly down. He does some nice things every once in a while but tends to disappear in games.

Great hockey sense, great passer. I think the main reason he's been on the decline is because the avs have been unable to pair him with someone he can develop chemistry with, we kinda miss Stewart in that regard.

But I dunno really, he might have lost some spark and motivation too and could probably do with a change of scenery.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:31 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I'd easily take a look at JJ from Columbus. He is locked up on a reasonable deal for a long time. He will provide 35-45 points on a yearly basis, big time hitter, can be a top PP guy, and can eat minutes. Now he really makes some dumb decisions on the defensive end and is generally boneheaded, but if EJ has shown anything here it is that he can cover up those mistakes. IMO JJ really needs an elite defensive partner that can cover up his mistakes, EJ is pretty close to elite defensively. Now I am not sure a straight swap involving Stastny is the way to go, but I wouldn't totally shrug it off.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Huis Clos*

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the eval

Bozak plus a second.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:34 AM
northstarnicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Bozak plus a second.
I am fearful that we would never win another faceoff without Bozak. LOL

How is Statstny on faceoffs?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Alex B

Quote:
I am fearful that we would never win another faceoff without Bozak. LOL

How is Statstny on faceoffs?
He's alright, 52.9 (Bozak is at 54.8)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...rt/faceoffsWon

Old
03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I know that trading Stastny without O'Reilly locked up long term might not be smart, but with Weiss out for the year, his value at the deadline may have gone up a little bit.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I know that trading Stastny without O'Reilly locked up long term might not be smart, but with Weiss out for the year, his value at the deadline may have gone up a little bit.
I'm sure it went up a good chunk actually. There are not many centers of his caliber on the trade market... maybe 2 or 3 others (I don't think we can include Getz).

Old
03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

With the cap dropping by $10 million next season, it's gonna be hard to get a taker for Stastny no matter what. I imagine it won't be until next year's deadline that he's moved.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:32 AM
RockLobster
Ron hates lying...

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
With the cap dropping by $10 million next season, it's gonna be hard to get a taker for Stastny no matter what. I imagine it won't be until next year's deadline that he's moved.
I thought it was dropping from 70m this year to something like 64.3m next year?

You've got to choose it to lose it, so let me plug it in. Robots are my next of kin.
Old
03-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I thought it was dropping from 70m this year to something like 64.3m next year?
Really? I thought it was going to be closer to $60 million.

Nevertheless, with the cap dropping and no assurances (though still likely) that it will rise the following year, I'm not anticipating a very busy deadline.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
The cap isn't dropping by 10m, it is dropping by less than 6m. Then you include the provision that teams can retain some salary. Stastny has good value and could be moved pretty easily if the Avs want to trade him. If a team wants to compete this year and has cap room, they will find a way to fit Stastny in. Teams like Toronto, Phoenix, and St. Louis have plenty of cap room for next season and might want to make some noise in the playoffs so they are willing to take 1.5 seasons of Stastny to get it done.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:

Nevertheless, with the cap dropping and no assurances (though still likely) that it will rise the following year, I'm not anticipating a very busy deadline.
The NHLPA assured it would be at least 64.3m in the CBA (it can actually end up higher). With the revenues that we are seeing already since the lockout, you can be assured that the cap will go up. The NHL will be above 70m again in just a few years.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Quote:

That's because you're not only trading players/picks, but also contracts and cap hits.

Perhaps the ability to absorb salary/cap hit in a trade will make teams willing to trade but I wouldn't bet on it.

That said, I don't think there is a GM that's done more hockey trades in the last 3-4 years than Greg Sherman. He isn't afraid to pull the trigger.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the eval

Stastny really needs a shake up. We seem to be trying to spread top six forwards over three lines and we barely have the talent to ice one full good line. We have too many good centers with not enough goal scoring wingers. If he gets placed on a top line with a winger that can score, he'll turn it around.

I doubt hell ever get that opportunity in col but col doesn't need to trade him right now. It doesn't get critical until this time next year. I'd bet, with his current stats, the avs are going to ask a good bit more than anyone will want to pay like a top 2 defenseman close to the same age. I'd bet Sherman would ask for phaneuf.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Zandar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoClog View Post
wait you are going to ADD an asset with Stastny for JJ?

Old
03-05-2013, 12:20 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 2800
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the eval

He plays with Jones on the right side, who is a waste of space most nights. Left wing rotates, Landeskog now, and has played well with him.

Stastny is good when he is on, but plays the role of Casper most nights.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Flow

Claim Hamrlik! Let's stock up on D

Old
03-05-2013, 01:56 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoClog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Pass on trading a guy like Elliott before we find out what we have in him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
The one side this team desperately needs.
While I can't say JJ is the best choice, Ideally I'd love to cap dump on CBJ and package Stastny + Jones for JJ +. CBJ will be getting very young very soon, and will most likely be dumping some of their overpaid guys (Umberger). I know it won't happen, but if Stastny gets traded, it better be for who the Avs think will be EJ's future partner.

Johnson&Johnson pairing should "clean up" a lot of our troubles.

Closed Thread