HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Dupree13

vCash: 500
I don't know about Bennett. He's clearly got some ability, but since coming up he's mostly looked like a deer in headlights, the puck a grenade on his stick. I really don't think he's adjusting to NHL speed too well. I don't see him as a viable top six guy as of right now.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
SirBrad

I didn't think Bennett was a fit for the Geno/Neal line but at this point I kind of want to get Cooke off it and have him add some grit to the 3rd line and I think I'd try Bennett on the 2nd line for now.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
JQR
Clearly it's Lovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I don't know about Bennett. He's clearly got some ability, but since coming up he's mostly looked like a deer in headlights, the puck a grenade on his stick. I really don't think he's adjusting to NHL speed too well. I don't see him as a viable top six guy as of right now.
I 100% disagree with your assessment.

JQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:06 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Happy <s>Little Beau Peep</s> Sunshine is back.

Excited to see him play in the top-6.

Going to allow my optimistic side to let me believe that if Sunshine works out on Geno's wing, Shero will find a winger for Sid, move Dupuis to the 3rd line, ship TK out, and have a top-9 of:

Kunitz - Sid - Corey Iginla
Bennett - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis

Which I believe is good enough. After that, I'd be ready to devote myself entirely to *****ing about defense.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I agree that the puck looks like a grenade on his stick too much of the time. I think that just might be a little panicking and rushing things as he adjust to the speed of the game.

His vision and playmaking have been impressive. That part of his game is NHL ready and so is his board work, imo. He's been very impressive in those two areas.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
wopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I agreed with this when he first came up. I felt his last two games he has looked very well adjusted to the speed of the game, but he's still gripping his stick too tight at times, trying not to fudge his chances. I think he's looked much better the last two games he played.

wopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Fire Shero*

In definitely not sold on Bennett. I know we have been spoiled by Sid, Geno and Staal making impacts early but I feel like every forward prospect since Staal has been a bust or close to it. Plus it doesn't help that most of the free agent top 6ers have been bad.

I'm just not impressed with Bennett. But people on here and Steigy/Errey make him out to be something special. I just hate the fact that he is going to play with Geno and Neal solely because there's no one else left to try. It's not like he earned a spot to play with Geno.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
MtlPenFan

Dupuis is the closest thing to Kunitz as there is on this team.

Bennett just doesn't belong on the Geno line. I'd rather he take Duper's place and put Duper with Geno and Neal.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:32 PM
TorstenFrings
confirmed pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I'd bet money its Vitale he only had 6 minutes of ice time last night and didnt seem to play much after the first Stamkos goal which seemed like he was late back checking
Ideally I'd like for DJ to stick on the 3rd and Kennedy to sit, but he did good and does deserve a spot and apparently 4th line center is where Bylsma is determined to make him fit. *sigh*

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:53 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Bylsma says he plans to play Bennett with Malkin and Neal, though he may spot other players there on occasion.
https://twitter.com/MolinariPG/statu...13286324690945

Old
03-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
In definitely not sold on Bennett. I know we have been spoiled by Sid, Geno and Staal making impacts early but I feel like every forward prospect since Staal has been a bust or close to it. Plus it doesn't help that most of the free agent top 6ers have been bad.

I'm just not impressed with Bennett. But people on here and Steigy/Errey make him out to be something special. I just hate the fact that he is going to play with Geno and Neal solely because there's no one else left to try. It's not like he earned a spot to play with Geno.
You now take the crown of most negative poster on here. The kid has potential and has proven he can play in the NHL. This does not mean he will be here post deadline and into the playoffs. Plus, we know Bylsma will mix and match that spot. Cooke, Bennett, and Glass will all get shifts there. Try being positive for once.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Translation: Bennett will start the game with them, and then only see 3 shifts with them for the rest of the game, and move back to the 3rd line.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Between inserting Bennett on Malkin's line and giving Despres just short of 15(!) minutes last night, it's almost like Bylsma WANTS to give the young guys a chance.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Between inserting Bennett on Malkin's line and giving Despres just short of 15(!) minutes last night, it's almost like Bylsma WANTS to give the young guys a chance.
Indeed. That's what happens when you play well and earn ice time rather than have it handed to you, just because.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I think it's fair to say Disco handles prospects with obvious talent differently than guys with upside but who seem to get overwhelmed like Tangradi or even Manchuk. If the player is good enough to prove something right away in terms of knowing the system and playing the full sheet of ice, Disco will give them more minutes and more regular minutes than other rookies... but probably still not enough to stastify we the angry hoard of HFB.

We're an impatient lot and stand to lose nothing if a prospect is ruined. Disco stands to lose his job. I would say though than Tangradi is proving him right.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I think it's fair to say Disco handles prospects with obvious talent differently than guys with upside but who seem to get overwhelmed like Tangradi or even Manchuk. If the player is good enough to prove something right away in terms of knowing the system and playing the full sheet of ice, Disco will give them more minutes and more regular minutes than other rookies... but probably still not enough to stastify we the angry hoard of HFB.

We're an impatient lot and stand to lose nothing if a prospect is ruined. Disco stands to lose his job. I would say though than Tangradi is proving him right.
Yea, I don't want to get into this again because it's the same people on the same sides saying the same things over and over and over, and we're never going to agree on anything and it's never going to solve anything...

THAT SAIDDDDDDD you can't tell me there are people on the team right now who are earning the minutes they are getting while people who are sitting in the press box haven't earned ice time.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Candyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Translation: Bennett will start the game with them, and then only see 3 shifts with them for the rest of the game, and move back to the 3rd line.
Remove the sarcasm emoticon. you nailed it.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Shockmaster

Look's like Bennett is officially back with the big club:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658673

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

interesting...
Quote:
Bylsma, on playing Beau Bennett with Malkin and Neal: "That’s the line he is going to play with. And yes, all three periods.”
via @MolinariPG

Old
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
interesting...

via @MolinariPG
Clearly he's been reading this thread.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
So Kennedy is going to be benched soon as well???

Old
03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Powerrrrrrrrrr.

Unlimiteddddddddddddddddddd powerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Bylsma was actually going to just send BB down, but then saw everyone freaking out, so he had to panic-waive Boychuk to get him back up ASAP.

We call the shots on this team.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:13 PM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post

face palm city... UGHHHHHH

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
face palm city... UGHHHHHH
Some people just can't accept Iginla isn't coming to Pittsburgh.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
you can't tell me there are people on the team right now who are earning the minutes they are getting while people who are sitting in the press box haven't earned ice time.
The problem is you're comparing rookies with very little experience, to veteran players. That's not apples and apples. Guys who know the system and have done some good things in the past will always get the nod over someone who doesn't even have a dozen games to his credit. Especially if one guy can get sent down without passing through waivers etc.

Compare rookies to rookies and veterans to veterans.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote