HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Seven game series that weren't close at all

Old
03-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Dontdive

vCash: 500
Seven game series that weren't close at all

Take the Boston-Vancouver finals of just a few years back. Yes, it went to seven games, but the Canucks barely won the games they did, and the Bruins crushed the Canucks in the games they won. Yes, I know the Canucks had injuries (and all the other excuses), but that doesn't change the fact that in overall gameplay the Bruins were a lot better.

I'm sure people can come up with even better examples though. What is yours?

Dontdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
TheStroker

Habs vs Bruins

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

2003 finals were the same way. Devils crushed the Ducks in NJ (I think only 1 of the 4 games was close) and the Ducks won 3 close games in Anaheim.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
2003 finals were the same way. Devils crushed the Ducks in NJ (I think only 1 of the 4 games was close) and the Ducks won 3 close games in Anaheim.
Winner winner, Chicken dinner.

Giguere kept them alive in that series.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Canucks were up 2-0 and 3-2. Many of us thought Vancouver was going to win. It was definitely close.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
GuineaPig

I remember the Penguins/Lightning series in 2011 being really one-sided. Even though the Penguins lost, they massively outplayed Tampa. I think they got like 60% of the shots or something.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:25 PM
cam042686

How about the 1977 Avco Finals? There was only 2 close games - Winnipeg won Game 1, 2-1 and Quebec won Game 4, 4-2. The rest of the series was a shoot-out. Quebec won Game 5, 8-3. Winnipeg crushed them in Game 6, 12-3 and Game 7 was a Nordique 8-2 victory.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
First series that came to mind. It seemed like the Devils were the only team that realized how to score on Giguere: just don't hit the pile of equipment sitting in the crease.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:00 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
2011 Flyers - Sabres ECQF

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post
Take the Boston-Vancouver finals of just a few years back. Yes, it went to seven games, but the Canucks barely won the games they did, and the Bruins crushed the Canucks in the games they won. Yes, I know the Canucks had injuries (and all the other excuses), but that doesn't change the fact that in overall gameplay the Bruins were a lot better.

I agree that it wasnt that close but Boston still won somehow anyways despite being pathetically over matched in talent. They had to resort to gooning.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Ishdul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I agree that it wasnt that close but Boston still won somehow anyways despite being pathetically over matched in talent. They had to resort to gooning.
Boston is not at all a good example of a low talent team. They were not pathetically overmatched in talent in the slightest, having arguably both the best goalie and best defenseman in the league to go along with a fairly strong group of forwards, and have shown stability as an elite team for a few years now. It's also ridiculous to point to gooning as the reason for winning 4 games by a combined score of 21-3, unless you have the world's highest opinion of Shawn Thornton ever recorded.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Schalkenullvier*

not to mention the canucks were responsible for most of the goonery in that series

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Stars and Bolts

Quote:
Thought of this series too. The Devils won all 4 of their games at home by 3 goals, while the Ducks won games 3 and 4 in OT and won game 6 big by winning 5-2. Add to the fact that game 3 was decided by Brodeur's gaffe. Not once did I think the Ducks had a shot in this series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
First series that came to mind. It seemed like the Devils were the only team that realized how to score on Giguere: just don't hit the pile of equipment sitting in the crease.
Haha pretty much, especially when they won game 5 6-3.

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:17 PM
MadLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStroker View Post
Habs vs Bruins
The last Habs vs bruins was kind of strange, could not have got in 7 with Chara and thomas playing well from day one.

But than againt it did go on overtime of game 7 IIRC, with Cammalleri scoring at the end of the third period.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Big Phil

Washington/Montreal 2010. The Caps lose in 7 games and even needed overtime to win Game 2 to tie the series but that was just window dressing to how this series really went. The shots were 42-16 for Washington in Game 7. Halak did as much highway robbery as I have ever seen. It gets better. The shots were 54-21 in Game 6. I know a lot of people blamed Ovechkin for not carrying the Caps but he was all over the place that series and I thought he did everything humanly possible to help them win. Halak was just in that "zone" that a goalie can get into. This is the last time we saw Ovechkin play that way again. After 2010 he has never been the same player.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post

Boston outscored the Canucks at even strength, outscored the Canucks on their own PP, and outscored the Canucks while killing Canuck PPs. They also had a two-time Vezina winner and a perennial Norris candidate on their team - if that's your definition of lack of talent, then I really wish my team was so under-talented.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Jinsell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishdul View Post
Boston is not at all a good example of a low talent team. They were not pathetically overmatched in talent in the slightest, having arguably both the best goalie and best defenseman in the league to go along with a fairly strong group of forwards, and have shown stability as an elite team for a few years now. It's also ridiculous to point to gooning as the reason for winning 4 games by a combined score of 21-3, unless you have the world's highest opinion of Shawn Thornton ever recorded.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
not to mention the canucks were responsible for most of the goonery in that series
Give me a break. Both teams were equally responsible for that circus of a Stanley Cup Finals.

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:54 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontdive View Post

Nope, I think this one is the best example there is. Just a very odd series, and the Canucks didn't belong on the same ice.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:49 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Washington/Montreal 2010. The Caps lose in 7 games and even needed overtime to win Game 2 to tie the series but that was just window dressing to how this series really went. The shots were 42-16 for Washington in Game 7. Halak did as much highway robbery as I have ever seen. It gets better. The shots were 54-21 in Game 6. I know a lot of people blamed Ovechkin for not carrying the Caps but he was all over the place that series and I thought he did everything humanly possible to help them win. Halak was just in that "zone" that a goalie can get into. This is the last time we saw Ovechkin play that way again. After 2010 he has never been the same player.

This is the first one I thought of as well. The Caps were the better team in that series by a wide margin, Halak just played out of his mind. It's a shame that franchise didn't have the patience to stay the course after '09-10 because all of the tools for a Cup winner were still in place.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:39 AM
GuineaPig

To go even farther with the thread concept, the 2006 series between the Senators and Sabres was really one-sided, even though the Sabres ended up winning in 5. Ottawa outshot Buffalo 169-119.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:30 AM
RapidFire

In 2009 the Red Wings dominated the Ducks play-wise and even outshot them by an average of 16.5 shots per game. Somehow the Wings only outscored them by 5 in the 7 games

RapidFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Mad Max

Quote:

This. The Devils outscored the Ducks in games 1, 2, 5, and 7 by a combined 15-3. The Ducks outscored the Devils in games 3, 4, and 6 by a combined 9-4. And 2 of the 3 went to overtime.

The only reason the series went 7 was because of the fluke goal Marty gave up in game 3. Devils should have won easily in 5.

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote