HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps sign, recall D Steven Oleksy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
  #76
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Ahhh....the voice of reason.


I don't buy the "if you like toughness, you like this contract" argument.
Look into the mirror and search deep within your soul and you will find its true.

Some people love to be in good shape. Problem is they hate to work out or watch what they eat.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
  #77
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 500
Oh, the fickle Caps fan masses.

Rebuild: D-men don't mature until their late 20s or early 30s. You gotta develop them right and don't push them too fast!

Now: 27 year old d-man and still in the AHL? Career minor leaguer. Washed up. Offer 1 year and hope nobody else beats it.

Have any of you scouted this guy, or are you just looking at "3 years" and fainting? Think of it this way...if GMGM's moves at this point don't turn things around, they may not matter that much because he could be out and someone else will have to scuttle the **** anyway.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
  #78
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Ha I bet he had more hits in one game than our entire D does some nights when Erskine isn't playing!

Oduya has been underrated physically for some time. He had a bit of a rep in the SEL that made alot of us back at the time hope he would make the Caps.
He hasn't brought that game to the NHL, at all. He's not a physical player in this league.

I don't trust the "Hits" stat much, but right now Oduya has a grand total of 14 in 22 games played. Carlson (26), Kundratek (17), and Green (16) have more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bags92 View Post
Dreger said we just waived Hammer, can't imagine anyone picks up that contract.
With this season halfway over, it's not much to take on given that it's expiring after this year. He's going to be claimed.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
  #79
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Oh, the fickle Caps fan masses.

Rebuild: D-men don't mature until their late 20s or early 30s. You gotta develop them right and don't push them too fast!

Now: 27 year old d-man and still in the AHL? Career minor leaguer. Washed up. Offer 1 year and hope nobody else beats it.

Have any of you scouted this guy, or are you just looking at "3 years" and fainting? Think of it this way...if GMGM's moves at this point don't turn things around, they may not matter that much because he could be out and someone else will have to scuttle the **** anyway.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:12 PM
  #80
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Look into the mirror and search deep within your soul and you will find its true.

Some people love to be in good shape. Problem is they hate to work out or watch what they eat.
Nah you're just overgeneralizing things. I love toughness. I don't see the point in this contract unless it's simply to build some stability in Hershey.

__________________
George McPhee....The Teflon GM. 15 years of failure and counting....

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:19 PM
  #81
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Fine. You don't like the double standard about d-men maturing and don't think it applies to you? Then how about this part:

Have any of you scouted this guy, or are you just looking at "3 years" and fainting?

Why not at least wait until you have an informed opinion before offering a negative one?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  #82
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Oh, the fickle Caps fan masses.

Rebuild: D-men don't mature until their late 20s or early 30s. You gotta develop them right and don't push them too fast!

Now: 27 year old d-man and still in the AHL? Career minor leaguer. Washed up. Offer 1 year and hope nobody else beats it.

Have any of you scouted this guy, or are you just looking at "3 years" and fainting? Think of it this way...if GMGM's moves at this point don't turn things around, they may not matter that much because he could be out and someone else will have to scuttle the **** anyway.
The easy answer is that your "rebuild:" point is more or less total bunk. It's exceptionally rare for a guy to turn it on to that extent that late in their careers. If they haven't made it to the NHL by, like, 25, they're very unlikely to become something later on.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:24 PM
  #83
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Fine. You don't like the double standard about d-men maturing and don't think it applies to you? Then how about this part:

Have any of you scouted this guy, or are you just looking at "3 years" and fainting?

Why not at least wait until you have an informed opinion before offering a negative one?
There's no double standard, because your statement was bollocks. You created a straw man with the statement about development.

Name another player with a similar resume that got a 3 year deal that worked out, and I'll calm down.

This guy wasn't even a full time AHL player until last season.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
  #84
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Fine. You don't like the double standard about d-men maturing and don't think it applies to you? Then how about this part:

Have any of you scouted this guy, or are you just looking at "3 years" and fainting?

Why not at least wait until you have an informed opinion before offering a negative one?
Do we really need to scout a career ECHL'er to form an opinion of his chances in the NHL?


Serious question. I don't think this is a case of a 27 yr old suddenly breaking out, do you?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:29 PM
  #85
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
There's no double standard, because your statement was bollocks. You created a straw man with the statement about development.

Name another player with a similar resume that got a 3 year deal that worked out, and I'll calm down.

This guy wasn't even a full time AHL player until last season.
And even then he wasn't. He played 14 games in the ECHL, then 50 in the AHL. Dude has bounced around a TON.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
  #86
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,483
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Do we really need to scout a career ECHL'er to form an opinion of his chances in the NHL?


Serious question. I don't think this is a case of a 27 yr old suddenly breaking out, do you?
"Oates also said Olesky was the most improved player he had seen when he was at Hershey earlier this season."

So actually, it could be exactly that case. I still don't know that I like 3 years.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
  #87
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Serious question. I don't think this is a case of a 27 yr old suddenly breaking out, do you?
Can't answer that, because I hadn't seen much of Oleksy before this season, but his game has improved big time just this season. His decision making when he has the puck, his movement in the zones and his overall game are much improved, and he was easily the best choice for a callup of what's in Hershey right now. I'm guessing the 3-years is more for Hershey than DC, but he won't kill you out there, and if he takes up the 50th contract spot, it's not that big a deal.

On his fighting - Steve's not the "line up and drop them" type - he's not really built to go with the serious heavies, but he can take on anyone up to about 205 and give them a message if needed, and he's serious about standing up for teammates. Give him a chance before you bury GMGM for this one.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:36 PM
  #88
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
"Oates also said Olesky was the most improved player he had seen when he was at Hershey earlier this season."

So actually, it could be exactly that case. I still don't know that I like 3 years.
Most improved player "In Hershey"...


I guess we'll see.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:38 PM
  #89
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Can't answer that, because I hadn't seen much of Oleksy before this season, but his game has improved big time just this season. His decision making when he has the puck, his movement in the zones and his overall game are much improved, and he was easily the best choice for a callup of what's in Hershey right now. I'm guessing the 3-years is more for Hershey than DC, but he won't kill you out there, and if he takes up the 50th contract spot, it's not that big a deal.

On his fighting - Steve's not the "line up and drop them" type - he's not really built to go with the serious heavies, but he can take on anyone up to about 205 and give them a message if needed, and he's serious about standing up for teammates. Give him a chance before you bury GMGM for this one.
Oh I'll give him a chance for sure, especially if he's the "stand up for your teammates" type, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm guessing this is to give Hershey some consistency more than anything.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
  #90
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Do we really need to scout a career ECHL'er to form an opinion of his chances in the NHL?


Serious question. I don't think this is a case of a 27 yr old suddenly breaking out, do you?
Remind me...how old was Deryk Engelland when he got his chance with the Pens???

I would LOVE to have him on the team right now. What a find by Shero and GMGM let another tough viable player slip right under his nose.

Funny thing is that this situation reminds me ALOT of the flak GMGM got when he brought Erskine aboard.

I remember being IRATE that he was not immediately put into the lineup (took about 20 games I think) before he saw his first action vs the Canes. We lost that game but he delivered a couple crushing hits and eventually the chatter settled somewhat.

Most people back then = Excited by Pothier signing

Most people back then = Not happy with GMGM getting Erskine

I'd say about 80-90% of the Caps HF fanbase just doesn't get "toughness". They TALK like they understand and desire it but their views go contrary to that. They never have understood outside of a few people...Ridley, RH, Choke etc


Last edited by BobRouse: 03-05-2013 at 01:46 PM.
BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:43 PM
  #91
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Remind me...how old was Deryk Engelland when he got his chance with the Pens???

I would LOVE to have him on the team right now. What a find by Shero and GMGM let another tough viable player slip right under his nose.


Awesome...at least there's one instance in the NHL where this worked out. Engelland was also an AHL mainstay for a few years in the Pens org before he moved up. Olesky has been an ECHL bounceabout, so I'm less encouraged.


I guess I was hoping for more top 4 D's instead of bottom 2 but I guess this is GMGMs master stroke.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
  #92
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Remind me...how old was Deryk Engelland when he got his chance with the Pens???

I would LOVE to have him on the team right now. What a find by Shero and GMGM let another tough viable player slip right under his nose.

Funny thing is that this situation reminds me ALOT of the flak GMGM got when he brought Erskine aboard.

I remember being IRATE that he was not immediately put into the lineup (took about 20 games I think) before he saw his first action vs the Canes. We lost that game but he delivered a couple crushing hits and eventually the chatter settled somewhat.

Most people back then = Excited by Pothier signing

Most people back then = Not happy with GMGM getting Erskine

I'd say about 80-90% of the Caps HF fanbases just doesn't get "toughness". Never have before outside of a few people.
Here's the deal Tinner. You don't own the rights to being a fan who likes toughness. I think we all appreciate it, the older fans even more so because that's how we grew up. You've gotta stop throwing it around like you have to rights to fan toughness. Just takes away from your normally entertaining posts.

I don't remember a lot of flak about Erskine first being acquired. His first extension yes, sure, there was criticism. Pothier, well it was hard NOT to get excited when we had Kiwi and Doig as a top D pair. Even then, people realized what Pothier was....some expected him to step up and blossom in his new found role, but he didn't. Hopefully we don't get that same result from Olesky.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:48 PM
  #93
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Remind me...how old was Deryk Engelland when he got his chance with the Pens???
How long was Engelland's first NHL contract with the Pens? One year. Then two years. Then another one-year pact.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
  #94
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Awesome...at least there's one instance in the NHL where this worked out. Engelland was also an AHL mainstay for a few years in the Pens org before he moved up. Olesky has been an ECHL bounceabout, so I'm less encouraged.


I guess I was hoping for more top 4 D's instead of bottom 2 but I guess this is GMGMs master stroke.
Dmen can take much longer to mature than forwards of that there is no doubt.

Erskine sure looks good in the top 4 to me. When Green and Orlov get healthy we will have 5 viable guys I'd feel comfortable with getting top 4 minutes but the problem still remains lack of physicality and nastiness on the D.

Hopefully this signing helps address that.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  #95
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Here's the deal Tinner. You don't own the rights to being a fan who likes toughness. I think we all appreciate it, the older fans even more so because that's how we grew up. You've gotta stop throwing it around like you have to rights to fan toughness. Just takes away from your normally entertaining posts.

I don't remember a lot of flak about Erskine first being acquired. His first extension yes, sure, there was criticism. Pothier, well it was hard NOT to get excited when we had Kiwi and Doig as a top D pair. Even then, people realized what Pothier was....some expected him to step up and blossom in his new found role, but he didn't. Hopefully we don't get that same result from Olesky.
Wrong. Actually I do own the rights of being a fan who likes toughness. Ofcourse I am selling shares on the open HF market...

I do remember alot of grumbling about the Erskine acquisition. Not so much that he was bad but that people wanted to "truly" address our D. I think this was during Pothier's first season (I could be wrong) where they found out Pothier sucked after the first 20 or so games. It may have misremembered tho...we could have gotten #4 the year before that but don't think so.

People got excited about Pothier as you said. But again they overlooked the real issue...lack of toughness in our D group. Say what you want but that has ALWAYS been a problem under GMGM and I have heard lots of moaning about getting a top 4 dman or a 2nd line center but never was it stressed that backend snarl was at the forefront.

The argument was always that this is the New NHL and those guys are dinosaurs.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
  #96
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Awesome. Now if only GM could find two Top6 LWs...

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:00 PM
  #97
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,208
vCash: 500
Yes, if people were complaining about Erskine it was because the D seemed so deficient top to bottom that Erskine seemed like a poor excuse for a bandaid at the time.

I've always like his game, but always thought his lack of foot speed and skill hindered him. Last year Schultz was in the lineup over him because goals went in against the Caps when Erskine was on the ice. This year, he's raised his game again thankfully. Not sure how anyone can dislike Erskine at this point. He's one of the few guys who seems to care about losing.


People were mildly excited about Pothier because he was touted as a top-pair puck mover and PP guy. Toughness wasn't even part of that job description as noted by Pothier's size lack of physicality in the past. There was a need for that type of guy, toughness or no toughness.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
  #98
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,483
vCash: 50
Hopefully some of this "toughness" sticks around long enough to rub off on Alzner. If he develops a mean streak, 1LD is solved for a long time.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
  #99
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Awesome. Now if only GM could find two Top6 LWs...
Does Marcus Johansson count? Tinner likes him, so he must be tough.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:08 PM
  #100
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Yes, if people were complaining about Erskine it was because the D seemed so deficient top to bottom that Erskine seemed like a poor excuse for a bandaid at the time.

I've always like his game, but always thought his lack of foot speed and skill hindered him. Last year Schultz was in the lineup over him because goals went in against the Caps when Erskine was on the ice. This year, he's raised his game again thankfully. Not sure how anyone can dislike Erskine at this point. He's one of the few guys who seems to care about losing.


People were mildly excited about Pothier because he was touted as a top-pair puck mover and PP guy. Toughness wasn't even part of that job description as noted by Pothier's size lack of physicality in the past. There was a need for that type of guy, toughness or no toughness.
Last year Schultz was in over him because Dale Hunter was sadly a terrible coach (IMO). Wideman was ahead of Green on the depth chart and Aucoin over Semin. No logic at all.

Erskine was part of our best D pair (Poti and him) vs the Flyers in the playoffs. He had a very very good year the next year or the one after that.

His game dipped when we had a very "structured" approach under BB and then Hunter. At least that is what I saw.

And in our best year he was either injured or Joe Corvo pushed him out of the lineup. My memory is hazy about that.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.