HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 Lineup Advice Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
MacLean might actually be a better option than Dumart on that 2nd unit.
Thanks, that was the thing I had the most trouble deciding.

The next was what to do with Fredrickson...Is it better to put him on the 1st unit so I have my best 3 guys there or put someone else there so Fredrickson can bolster the 2nd unit? I think I like the way I have it, but if anyone has a comment on this I would appreciate hearing it.

EDIT: MacLean and Dumart are probably fairly close in terms of being a PP net front presence. I think it makes sense to go with MacLean, since Dumart will be facing the opponents' top lines, the extra rest from not playing the PP would be of greater benefit to Dumart.

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Bill Quackenbush - Georges Boucher
Allan Stanley - Glen Harmon

Here's my defensive situation, unsure how to distribute them on the PP/PK and what way to go for my bottom pairing.

Quackenbush is solid at both ends of the ice but is not physical.
Boucher is better offensively than defensively, and has physicality.
Stanley is not fast, but is good at both ends.
Harmon is physical and decent at both ends.

I have Geoffrion as well on the point, all four of my defensemen are LHS. Here's what I'm thinking:

PP1: Quackenbush - Geoffrion
PP2: Boucher - Stanley

PK1: Quackenbush - ___________
PK2: Harmon - Boucher

Advice would be much appreciated!

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

Here's my defensive situation, unsure how to distribute them on the PP/PK and what way to go for my bottom pairing.

I have Geoffrion as well on the point, all four of my defensemen are LHS. Here's what I'm thinking:

Switch Boucher and Quackenbush on the PP. I don't think Quackenbush can handle top pairing minutes and top unit on both special teams, and Boucher is just as good (probably better) offensively.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

All left-handed shots, so make sure the guys on the right side at even strength have good puck skills.

I would definitely have Georges Boucher on the first PP - I think he's a lot better offensively than Quackenbush, even if Quack is better all-round. Stanley was slow, but he was really big and strong, and I think his size would be really useful on the PK.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
I didn't get that Corbeau was as adventurous as he apparently is when I drafted him.
To be fair, I don't think there's much that says Corbeau is "adventurous", but he was decent offensively, fierce physically and with very little written about his defense, so technically it's an educated guess.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:

Boucher on the first PP wave instead of Quackenbush , nice luxury to be able to put a forward on the point as good as Geoffrion.

Unsure about Stanley , don't know enough about him admittedly as far as his powerplay game.Quackenbush is very good on the 2nd.

Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:57 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
All left-handed shots, so make sure the guys on the right side at even strength have good puck skills.

I would definitely have Georges Boucher on the first PP - I think he's a lot better offensively than Quackenbush, even if Quack is better all-round. Stanley was slow, but he was really big and strong, and I think his size would be really useful on the PK.
I'm not even sure Boucher is better offensively than Quack, let alone by a lot.

Don't forget that Boucher played in the split league era. His numbers look great in the east, but with guys like Shore, Cameron, Simpson, Duncan, and Cook out west, I would think his finishes need to be adjusted accordingly.

Don't have my consolidated points on hand, but I'll go through them later if needed.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:33 AM
BubbaBoot

COMPLETED SO FAR:

Smokey Harris - Gilbert Perreault - Cam Neely
Brian Propp - Dave Poulin - Tim Kerr
Bob Pulford - Ralph Backstrom - Claude Provost
LW - Brian Rolston - RW

Scott Stevens [C] - Vladimir Konstantinov
Vladimir Lutchenko - Albert "Battleship" Leduc
Stefan Persson - RD

PP 1
Propp - Perreault - Kerr
Rolston - Stevens

PP 2
Harris - Backstrom - Neely
Persson - Konstantinov/Leduc (Provost?)

PK 1
Pulford - Rolston
Stevens - Kontanstinov

PK 2
Propp - Poulin
Lutchenko - XXX

Last edited by BubbaBoot: 03-05-2013 at 10:40 AM.
BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:55 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
COMPLETED SO FAR:

LW - Brian Rolston - RW

Stefan Persson - RD

PP 1
Propp - Perreault - Kerr
Rolston - Stevens

PP 2

PK 1
Pulford - Rolston
Stevens - Kontanstinov

PK 2
Propp - Poulin
Lutchenko - XXX
Poulin on the second line is....interesting, to say the least. Switch him and Backstrom asap IMO.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Poulin on the second line is....interesting, to say the least. Switch him and Backstrom asap IMO.
He reunited a real-life line that was very productive together. I like it personally (But yes, Backstrom is pretty much Poulin on steroids, so a better fit on a scoring line (steroids in a non-literal way))

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:11 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
He reunited a real-life line that was very productive together. I like it personally (But yes, Backstrom is pretty much Poulin on steroids, so a better fit on a scoring line (steroids in a non-literal way))
It may be a real life line, but this isn't the real life NHL. Poulin has credible checking at this level, but offensively he's not giving you much. Kerr and Propp are hurting bad without a legit top 6 C.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
It may be a real life line, but this isn't the real life NHL. Poulin has credible checking at this level, but offensively he's not giving you much. Kerr and Propp are hurting bad without a legit top 6 C.
What?

For a four or five year peak the Propp/Poulin/Kerr line was one of the best lines in the NHL, categorically in the top 5 every year. The Flyers as a team were top 4 or 5 in goals scored during this time. Hell, that line led the team to two Stanley Cup Finals and lost only to the Gretzky Oiler Juggernaut, the 2nd time they went the full 7 games before bowing out.

Only the Gretzky, Lemieux and Bossy lines beat this line overall, maybe the Hawerchuk or Dionne lines on different occasions.

I also like the Pulford/Backstrom/Provost line a lot and hate the idea of breaking up the balance and (perceived) karma of that line for the sake of squeezing maybe 10 more goals out of the the other line? How do you know if Poulin fits in with Pulford or Provost?

You see this is what I don't get.....we're supposed to use these players in a scenario that is befitting of their era (supposedly)....so somehow a player from a different era in a different role, given the subjective analysis of their talents is supposed to (marginally) make them better?

It is all conjecture...

Old
03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
What?

For a four or five year peak the Propp/Poulin/Kerr line was one of the best lines in the NHL, categorically in the top 5 every year. The Flyers as a team were top 4 or 5 in goals scored during this time. Hell, that line led the team to two Stanley Cup Finals and lost only to the Gretzky Oiler Juggernaut, the 2nd time they went the full 7 games before bowing out.

Only the Gretzky, Lemieux and Bossy lines beat this line overall, maybe the Hawerchuk or Dionne lines on different occasions.

I also like the Pulford/Backstrom/Provost line a lot and hate the idea of breaking up the balance and (perceived) karma of that line for the sake of squeezing maybe 10 more goals out of the the other line? How do you know if Poulin fits in with Pulford or Provost?

You see this is what I don't get.....we're supposed to use these players in a scenario that is befitting of their era (supposedly)....so somehow a player from a different era in a different role, given the subjective analysis of their talents is supposed to (marginally) make them better?

It is all conjecture...
For what it's worth, I disagree with monster here. Leave your lines how they are.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:59 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
For what it's worth, I disagree with monster here. Leave your lines how they are.
I could go either way on this one.

I'm a big Dave Poulin backer and in the real NHL that was one of the top lines for a few seasons..

One one hand his offensive resume is laughably bad as a second liner in the ATD.

On the other hand, his work ethic, faceoff ability and defensive responsibility let the line with Propp and Kerr be very effective as a unit. He also chipped in an effective amount of offense.

I think for me, my decision of how effective they are will depend on who they are facing somewhat..

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:

I'm a big Dave Poulin backer and in the real NHL that was one of the top lines for a few seasons..

One one hand his offensive resume is laughably bad as a second liner in the ATD.

On the other hand, his work ethic, faceoff ability and defensive responsibility let the line with Propp and Kerr be very effective as a unit. He also chipped in an effective amount of offense.

I think for me, my decision of how effective they are will depend on who they are facing somewhat..
Yeah it depends who they are going up against, and how they are being used. I will say this, the average 2nd line in the ATD, which is what I'm assuming they will be matching up against most of the time, is probably better than all but a few lines those guys faced in the NHL.

EDIT: Too add, I definitely think if you have to pick between Backstrom and Poulin without considering anything else, Backstrom is the one to go with; however, in this scenario, with Backstrom on the third line, they are a real threat to score going the other way...if Poulin was moved there I don't think they would be nearly as dangerous.

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 03-05-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 01:47 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:

He was the responsible guy on the line, he had enough speed to drop back on defense and was good and smart enough for counterattacks. To me it's a case of gestalt.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
COMPLETED SO FAR:

LW - Brian Rolston - RW

Stefan Persson - RD

PP 1
Propp - Perreault - Kerr
Rolston - Stevens

PP 2

PK 1
Pulford - Rolston
Stevens - Kontanstinov

PK 2
Propp - Poulin
Lutchenko - XXX
You know your PK is strong when you don't even need Backstrom on it!

You know your PP is weak when you have Backstrom on it!

I would probably switch Stevens and Persson on the PP - save Stevens for the tougher PK minutes where he's one of the best of all-time. Even when he put up good overall numbers, his PP numbers weren't that great.

Honestly though, your PP will be weak almost no matter what you do at this point. I would strongly consider drafting some help there in the next few rounds

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Yeah it depends who they are going up against, and how they are being used. I will say this, the average 2nd line in the ATD, which is what I'm assuming they will be matching up against most of the time, is probably better than all but a few lines those guys faced in the NHL.

EDIT: Too add, I definitely think if you have to pick between Backstrom and Poulin without considering anything else, Backstrom is the one to go with; however, in this scenario, with Backstrom on the third line, they are a real threat to score going the other way...if Poulin was moved there I don't think they would be nearly as dangerous.
Straight up, given the history, all the hype, the eras and whatnot, Backstrom is the better player IMO. But I'm trying to construct a team with a real life scenario in mind and that of the traditional 4 line set up.

We got guys here talking about character, how different players worked in various situational scenarios and even now we're picking coaches according to their innovations, situational adjustments, their perception of being taskmasters or "player" coaches, etc....

If I wanted pure numbers I would've selected my players that way. As it is I'm thinking of various strategies versus various opponents and I like the idea of versatility, hence why I'm picking a fair amount of guys that can play multiple positions.

I have a couple of more obvious problems and holes to fill and the quality between the 2nd and 3rd line CTRs is way down on my list of worries.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
You know your PK is strong when you don't even need Backstrom on it!

You know your PP is weak when you have Backstrom on it!

I would probably switch Stevens and Persson on the PP - save Stevens for the tougher PK minutes where he's one of the best of all-time. Even when he put up good overall numbers, his PP numbers weren't that great.

Honestly though, your PP will be weak almost no matter what you do at this point. I would strongly consider drafting some help there in the next few rounds
By all accounts Backstrom's offense is better than the numbers indicate. I also discovered along the way that Backstrom, at least as a junior, could play just about any position and pretty much was all over the ice for massive minutes per game, so he's not just a defensive stud. I also have a couple of comments from Bowman and Beliveau stating that because it was Beliveau and Richard that Backstrom didn't get more PP time than he did.

At worst I have Pulford who can play the pivot and Kerr also started out as a CTR, although I'd never use him there as a main thrust.

Again, I have a fair amount of flexibility but I still need some specialists....and Persson on the PP first unit \? I don't know. He played big minutes with the Islanders but given this context I don't know if he can make a go of it on the 1st unit and he needs a good partner on the 3rd pairing. I have someone in mind, a dark horse candidate that'll probably raise some eyebrows but I like the idea of it and I think it would work.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:22 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Chara-Kelly
Pronovost-Numminen
Plager-xxxx

----

PP1 - Chara-Kelly
PP2 - Pronovost-????

PK1 - Chara-Pronovost
PK2 - Kelly-Numminen

Not sure where to place my D when it comes to special teams. Any suggestions are welcome.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Quote:
Chara-Kelly
Pronovost-Numminen
Plager-xxxx

----

PP1 - Chara-Kelly
PP2 - Pronovost-????

PK1 - Chara-Pronovost
PK2 - Kelly-Numminen

Not sure where to place my D when it comes to special teams. Any suggestions are welcome.
I'd give one of Chara/Kelly a break on the PK and find a way to slot Plager in there. It's overkill if they're playing PP1, PK1 as well as top pairing. They won't be able to handle all of that.

And even though Numminen could be efficient on a second PP unit, it might be your best interest to get a two-way guy next to Plager at ES that can be a factor on your second unit on Pronovost's right.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I'd give one of Chara/Kelly a break on the PK and find a way to slot Plager in there. It's overkill if they're playing PP1, PK1 as well as top pairing. They won't be able to handle all of that.

And even though Numminen could be efficient on a second PP unit, it might be your best interest to get a two-way guy next to Plager at ES that can be a factor on your second unit on Pronovost's right.
Thanks. Both of your suggestions crossed my mind, but I do think Chara and Kelly are horses that can play all situations.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Thanks. Both of your suggestions crossed my mind, but I do think Chara and Kelly are horses that can play all situations.
Being a Bruins fan I've been watching Chara for years and he's definitely a horse. He does however get spelled on the PP a bit, often being used as the #2 PP point man to give him a little rest because he's very effective defensively...he's not off the ice often though, especially during critical points in the game.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:43 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Being a Bruins fan I've been watching Chara for years and he's definitely a horse. He does however get spelled on the PP a bit, often being used as the #2 PP point man to give him a little rest because he's very effective defensively...he's not off the ice often though, especially during critical points in the game.
Maybe move Chara down to second unit pp?

Old
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Maybe move Chara down to second unit pp?
That's probably a good idea. Either put Pronovost in there (who plays softer ES minutes) or Numminen.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote