HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Bengt-Ake Gustafsson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
  #26
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
One of my most despised players of all time.
I liked him until the Devils started winning games in the playoffs. Until then, they were the harmless Devils who rarely won anything...once that stopped, he was easy to hate.

__________________
George McPhee....The Teflon GM. 15 years of failure and counting....

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:22 PM
  #27
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Verbeek was up there on the hate scale somewhere not far behind Dale. F that punk back to Gus

Interview talking about how much he loves D, and more. This mid game interview puts the modern day ones to shame.


Nice find Randy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
"trouble putting teams away"

the more things change...


EDIT: Bengt was and still is the man. A great hockey player and a true Cap hero. That leg cut short a brilliant career. If he'd been Canadian, he'd have a been a regular Selke winner.


He really was one of the greats ever here.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
  #28
troyerlaw
Life is party again
 
troyerlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Gus was great at D. To take nothing away from him, I always attributed Wayne's lack of pts at the Cap Centre to his basically taking those days off. I mean, he suited up and skated but if he were ever going to take it easy on the road... the Cap Centre was the place to do it. How did the Caps do at the Edmonton Coliseum back then? I wonder.
This is silly. Doesn't square with what we know about 99, and ignores the fact that the Caps, at their mid-'80s best, were one of the best teams in the league, at least in regular season.

Gustafsson was an excellent player. Best passer on the team for most of his years, and tapped to mark 99 and other snipers when we faced them. Scored five damn goals in a game against Flyers in 1984.

Coached the Swedish national team to gold in both Olympics and World Championship in same year (2006).

I would have rather had him than Oates as coach, but am likely in tiny majority in this respect.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:01 AM
  #29
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
If he'd been Canadian, he'd have a been a regular Selke winner.
Only if Kurri didn't get to be Canadian also...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
  #30
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
He was a strong two way player and I remember in a broadcast on ESPN back in the 80s Clemente said there were multiple players who said Gustafsson was one of the hardest hitters that no one knew of. He didn't throw hits all the time but apparently he made them count.

He won face offs, had some scoring touch, was a great playmaker and strong defender. We really missed his presence in the playoffs vs the Isles in 87 as well as the year before especially vs the Rags.

Gustafsson made Dave Christian a much better player than he really was. In the years Gus wasn't here (the always played onthe same line) Christan's production went way down and the Caps traded him after Gus departed for the 2nd time never to come back.

That last playoff series he played here was tough. I feel if his grandfather(or father can't remember?) didn't pass we would have won that series. He was clearly burdened and I think he missed a game or two as well.

In that game 6 he tied that up late in the 3rd before Peeters choked our hopes away (he SUCKED that entire series pretty much as every Caps goalie did up to that point outside of a few games of Bob Mason).

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
  #31
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry
 
stanleycaps98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chocolate City
Posts: 3,319
vCash: 500
Ugh, my stomach hurts. Again. Thanks @BobRouse.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
  #32
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Only if Kurri didn't get to be Canadian also...
nevermind.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:44 PM
  #33
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
This is silly. Doesn't square with what we know about 99, and ignores the fact that the Caps, at their mid-'80s best, were one of the best teams in the league, at least in regular season.

Wayne is my hero. He played as hard as anybody. Still, as good as the Caps were back then, the Oil didn't get up for the Caps like they did Chicago, Boston, Montreal or the Isles. For us, those games against EDM were exciting, almost like Stanley Cup games. For them, they were yawners.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
  #34
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Wayne is my hero. He played as hard as anybody. Still, as good as the Caps were back then, the Oil didn't get up for the Caps like they did Chicago, Boston, Montreal or the Isles. For us, those games against EDM were exciting, almost like Stanley Cup games. For them, they were yawners.
Yeah it seemed we beat the Oilers just about every time we played them in those days but they would have most likely destroyed the Caps in the playoffs.

Conversely those scary Flames teams always had our number. I can only remember 1 single game where we actually beat them and I was there for it which is the only reason they won clearly...

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
  #35
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah it seemed we beat the Oilers just about every time we played them in those days but they would have most likely destroyed the Caps in the playoffs.

Conversely those scary Flames teams always had our number. I can only remember 1 single game where we actually beat them and I was there for it which is the only reason they won clearly...

Theo Fleury was so short compared to the other guys. And he *always* stuck his nose in and sticked guys in the ribs.

The Flames *were* really good. Nieuwy, Gilmore, Otto, Fleury. Didn't Suter play there? I can't remember their D. Oh they had Haken Loob up front, too.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:23 PM
  #36
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah it seemed we beat the Oilers just about every time we played them in those days but they would have most likely destroyed the Caps in the playoffs.

Conversely those scary Flames teams always had our number. I can only remember 1 single game where we actually beat them and I was there for it which is the only reason they won clearly...

I was at that game, too. High-flying, high-scoring if I remember right. 6-5 Caps is my guess.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:53 PM
  #37
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
The Flames *were* really good. Nieuwy, Gilmore, Otto, Fleury. Didn't Suter play there? I can't remember their D. Oh they had Haken Loob up front, too.
Well they had that little known guy who could really shoot the puck, MacInnis I think his name was... And yeah Suter was there.

Joey Mullen, Roberts, Vernon, Macoun, Reinhart, Risebrough, an old Lanny McDonald, and a bunch of other very good players.

They had some seriously bad luck being as good as they were but being in the same division as the Oilers' juggernaut...

But the Battle of Alberta at that time was some of the best hockey ever played IMO.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
  #38
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I was at that game, too. High-flying, high-scoring if I remember right. 6-5 Caps is my guess.
Close my man! It was 5-4. It was a crazy game. Lots of goals in the 3rd. Bullard got 2 bs goals from wide shots on the PP (from MacInnis shots) and after having a 3-2 lead with like 10 mins left we were down by 4-3 with 1 minute and change to go.

Dale Hunter tied it like 20 seconds later and we won it right away in OT by perfect passing play from Miller to Ridley to Gartner.

I love to go back in time now and then! ha

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:04 PM
  #39
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Theo Fleury was so short compared to the other guys. And he *always* stuck his nose in and sticked guys in the ribs.

The Flames *were* really good. Nieuwy, Gilmore, Otto, Fleury. Didn't Suter play there? I can't remember their D. Oh they had Haken Loob up front, too.
Yep they had all those guys. Tim Hunter, Peplinski and Otto would go around intimidating everyone. Neil Sheehy was real good with his slashes and as we know was tough too (tho not the greatest fighter)

They had a young Brett Hull too but I think he was traded the year after.

Totally remember LOOB. haha he was good and surrounded with plenty of toughness. I can't remember who I hated more Bullard or Dan Quinn (they were traded for each other and both part of the Pens)

BobRouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
  #40
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well they had that little known guy who could really shoot the puck, MacInnis I think his name was... And yeah Suter was there.

Joey Mullen, Roberts, Vernon, Macoun, Reinhart, Risebrough, an old Lanny McDonald, and a bunch of other very good players.

They had some seriously bad luck being as good as they were but being in the same division as the Oilers' juggernaut...

But the Battle of Alberta at that time was some of the best hockey ever played IMO.

Oh yeah! Gary Roberts was dominant before he started getting his neck broken. And Al MacInnis, of course! His name flashed but I had him in St. Louis but that was later. And Lanny Mac. Haha! That was great hockey.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
  #41
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Oh yeah! Gary Roberts was dominant before he started getting his neck broken. And Al MacInnis, of course! His name flashed but I had him in St. Louis but that was later. And Lanny Mac. Haha! That was great hockey.
And they traded away a young Brett Hull for Ramage and Wamsley. Sure they won the cup the next season but still...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.