HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh eyeing Iginla

Old
03-05-2013, 09:08 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
OK, so Pitt has the best player in the world (Crosby) and arguably the second best player in the world (Malkin). Both at C.

They have the #1 scoring LW(Kunitz) tied for 3rd overall in scoring.

They have the number 6 scoring LW (Neal)..

They have the number 1 scoring D (Letang).

They are the top scoring team in the league.

OMG they need wingers desperatley! Let's fix this so we can stop these incessant threads about Pitts needing top 6 wingers.

Can HF fans just GIVE them 2 top RW and be done with it?

How about Tampa Bay gives them St. Louis for picks and prospects (TB is out of the playoffs so can start rebuilding), Calgary gives them Iginla for picks and prospects, and for good measure Buffalo gives them Pominville for picks and prospects (just as a precaution in case of injury to any of the top 6).

The cupboard is bare but Pitt finally has some decent talent to play with Sid and Geno.

\rant

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

I don't meant to interrupt your histrionics, but Pens fans have stated repeatedly that the winger isn't needed to score goals. The winger is needed for puck possession and to go into corners, and because wingers on Malkin's left this year have had the life span of a Spinal Tap drummer.

WE KNOW THEY SCORE A LOT. THAT'S NOT WHY WE WANT A TOP 6 WINGER.

Or maybe they just should have stuck with Zack Boychuk. You know, because we wouldn't want to annoy people by insisting that they need someone capable of keeping up with Malkin who isn't going to fall behind and/or flub every chance they get & drag the rest of the line down.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:15 AM
ds246pit

Would love Iginla on Crosby's wing and would be willing to offer up a good return. However Bennett is not moving for a UFA. He's a 20 year old who is already playing well at the pro level and looks like he is going to stick for the season. Dealing a defensive prospect not named Despres makes sense since it is a position of strength but i'd still feel better if the deal involves an Iginla extension.

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:16 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I don't meant to interrupt your histrionics, but Pens fans have stated repeatedly that the winger isn't needed to score goals. The winger is needed for puck possession and to go into corners, and because wingers on Malkin's left this year have had the life span of a Spinal Tap drummer.

WE KNOW THEY SCORE A LOT. THAT'S NOT WHY WE WANT A TOP 6 WINGER.

Or maybe they just should have stuck with Zack Boychuk. You know, because we wouldn't want to annoy people by insisting that they need someone capable of keeping up with Malkin who isn't going to fall behind and/or flub every chance they get & drag the rest of the line down.
This "I can read GF/GA stats and hence know enough to tell you what you do and don't need" crap is seriously annoying.

Just look at Chicago, they are on a tear even though now that Kane has cooled down, they don't really have any forwards knocking at the top ranks in the stats, but the stats of their arguably sub-par goalies and soso defense with a not really grooving yet Keith/Seabrook pairing are off the charts. Obviously this cannot be because of Toews and Hossa and HF would tell you to quickly trade those two bums for offensive help. Right?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
It damn well better be true.
Shero better be asking about every top 6 winger available right now.
They need serious help in thier bottom six (anyone not named Sutter) and Cooke and Dupuis are just the guys to do it.

The tough thing for Shero though, is it's gonna probably cost him Despres to get what he wants. I imagine theres alot of interest in Harrington as well.
If the Iginla trade ended up involving Despres, Calgary could include Butler, who's a solid 4th dman at a low cap hit (and not much older) with a little more coming back Calgary's way in picks or prospects.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I wouldn't overpay to get him (in which case the Flames would also have no reason to trade him) but this top 6 would be beautiful:

Kunitz - Crosby - Iginla
Bennett/Dupuis - Malkin - Neal
Would be a dream for Pens fans, for sure, but given that Iggy is going to be many contender's #1 target (if he's even on the block) I dont think we have what it takes to acquire him.

I hope if the price is too steep for other contenders (Bos, Phi) Iggy just extends with Calgary. If the Pens cant get him I hope nobody can.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
OK, so Pitt has the best player in the world (Crosby) and arguably the second best player in the world (Malkin). Both at C.

OMG they need wingers desperatley! Let's fix this so we can stop these incessant threads about Pitts needing top 6 wingers.

How about Tampa Bay gives them St. Louis for picks and prospects (TB is out of the playoffs so can start rebuilding), Calgary gives them Iginla for picks and prospects, and for good measure Buffalo gives them Pominville for picks and prospects (just as a precaution in case of injury to any of the top 6).

The cupboard is bare but Pitt finally has some decent talent to play with Sid and Geno.

\rant
Someone has reached the end of their rope.

Just FYI, you dont have to go into this thread if the subject pisses you off. How is it any different from the other incessant trade threads (Stasny for Bozak+/Ryder, Halak, 2nd for Vinny/Schneider for whoever)?

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
DO

NOT

WANT.

Not at the cost being talked about here. Not for a rental. Shero should be diligently looking for a long term solution at wing. Not a rental for the cost of two firsts and a roster player as is being talked about in all of these threads.
If Iginla wants to be moved, its because he is tired of the Culture in Calgary and wants to win (ie win a Cup).

I dont see him coming back to Calgary for a few years (perhaps when his next contract is up)

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:08 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I disagree, we may have a poor defensive depth but if we had the choice of Morrow or Bennett I think we take Bennett at least with Sieloff, Ramage, Breen we have a chance at a couple of nhl players out of them we have no RW prospects period.
Bennett's played mostly LW as a pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post

\rant
Neal's a RWer these days.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
The tough thing for Shero though, is it's gonna probably cost him Despres to get what he wants. I imagine theres alot of interest in Harrington as well.
I think Harrington is virtually untouchable. Maybe for a signed Corey Perry, but I don't think Harrington goes anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Iginla is exactly what the Pens need. The biggest problem will be his salary and how do the Pens retain all their guys that are unrestricted in the very near future.

Calgary will want a package similar to Nash.
Yeah, as others have said, no way is Iggy comparable to Nash to age and, more importantly, UFA status. You can, however, talk about a moderate package (Dustin Jeffrey + Tyler Kennedy + Olli Maata) that also includes a conditional 2014 1st rounder if Iggy re-signs.

Regarding the Pens' salary structure: I cannot envision a scenario in which Brooks Orpik is retained after this season, so that opens up $3.75 million. Also, Tyler Kennedy will either be traded or not retained, which frees up another $2million. That's almost $6million. I can't see Iggy wanting more than $6million if he wants to play with Pens/Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Shero's been eyeing Iginla to target in a trade for about five years.

Until Calgary entertains the idea of moving him, there's nothing to see here.
True dat.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Gary83*

It's cute that posters think that it will be a conditional pick included in an Iginla deal.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Stassino

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
Iginla on Pittsburgh would be scary good.

I have a feeling he won't get traded though.

My favourite part of the article is where it says "If Iginla is traded to the Pens, he will not have to clear waivers first"

Such morons writing this crap.
Not sure if serious but that was a joke in reference to the ROR Colorado issue..

Stassino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
It won't happen because Calgary management is still living in denial and believes the team can make a splash in the playoffs.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
OilCanada92

Maybe Kuniz and thats it.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
As an aside, it amazes me that no top FA wing over the past few years has not been calling and offering a bit of a discount to ride shotgun with Crosby or Malkin. You would think having either of those two putting goals on a silver platter all year would be attractive to one of the top wings. And yet nothing, or Shero is a moron turning them down right and left.
I think it has more to do with Shero not being interested in non "penguin type" players than players not interested in the Pens.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
PittPens87

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Maybe Kuniz and thats it.
LOL. Pens won't be trading Kunitz. How on earth do you even convince yourself the Pens would trade Kunitz?? The Pens would trade a mid range prospect and 3rd to retain Iggy's services. Anything more and Shero walks away...

PittPens87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:02 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggiez View Post
LOL. Pens won't be trading Kunitz. How on earth do you even convince yourself the Pens would trade Kunitz?? The Pens would trade a mid range prospect and 3rd to retain Iggy's services. Anything more and Shero walks away...
We wouldn't want Kunitz and a 3rd a half decent prospect is terrible we will just keep Iggy if thats the offer.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:05 PM
PittPens87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
We wouldn't want Kunitz and a 3rd a half decent prospect is terrible we will just keep Iggy if thats the offer.
You can have him then... he isn't worth a 1st

PittPens87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:06 PM
nmbr_24

I can't be the only one that thinks the Penguins need to take care of their D first and foremost. Then Iginla would be great of course, but they are already the top scoring team and their defense has some big problems.

Does anyone else feel this way?

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
It's cute that posters think that it will be a conditional pick included in an Iginla deal.
Indeed. Inspires a chuckle every time.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Indeed. Inspires a chuckle every time.
I think everyone is having chuckles all around. But do agree that a 1st (unconditional) would be included in almost every Iginla deal. Conditional picks may be added based on re-signing.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Money Baer
4 8 15 16 23 42

vCash: 50
Quote:
If the Pens acquire Iginla, your in for a big surprise.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I have no problem keeping the guy that has 12 straight 30 goal seasons, if he isn't worth a first then I don't know how other rentals got a first plus.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post

No, what's cute is you believe it won't be conditional. See Carter or Nash's deal both included conditional firsts.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Water is wet. I'd be more surprised if Pittsburgh wasn't eyeing Iginla. The real question is whether Calgary is willing to trade him.

I doubt it.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote