HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part III)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Definitely. More and more top notch goaltenders are Americans that took the college route. I'd be fine with drafting two goalies after the 4th round every single year. All we'd need is one to develop into an above average NHL tender to be considered worth it.
mmhmm, given that goalie success rates are pretty standard from the secod round to the seventh, and that they generally take longer, getting the extra year of protection from the NCAA as well as having the same success rate makes it a very logical approach.

Ie: quality/succes rate of forwards/dman avaialbele in the 1st-3rd compared to those available in the fifth-7th is pretty far apart, where as the difference is much smaller for goalies.

and if he's gonna take 5 years to develope anyways, might as well get an extra one in for free

I like

Old
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
After watching the brief experiment on goalies being drafted high early 00's, I don't know if I would ever want my team selecting a goalie first round. Second mayyyybe, but I'd be more interested in mental maturity (ie: Price) than physical dominance in junior.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
After watching the brief experiment on goalies being drafted high early 00's, I don't know if I would ever want my team selecting a goalie first round. Second mayyyybe, but I'd be more interested in mental maturity (ie: Price) than physical dominance in junior.
totally agree. I would be very happy if we never used a pick earlier then a fifth on a goalie again.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:46 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
totally agree. I would be very happy if we never used a pick earlier then a fifth on a goalie again.
That or just sign a late blooming goalie out of college if he's looking like a legit prospect. Eric Hartzell comes to mind. Wouldn't mind the JETS getting their hands on him.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
That or just sign a late blooming goalie out of college if he's looking like a legit prospect. Eric Hartzell comes to mind. Wouldn't mind the JETS getting their hands on him.
unfamiliar with him but that works too. Also would love us to give neiderberger a camp invite. Given that all our goalies are either older or NCAA it would be nice to get someone for the AHL/ECHL pipeline.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
unfamiliar with him but that works too. Also would love us to give neiderberger a camp invite. Given that all our goalies are either older or NCAA it would be nice to get someone for the AHL/ECHL pipeline.
Wonder if anyone will ever give Barry Brust another shot, get him on the Rock.... okay Im a bit biased as I beat him in two shootouts back in Jr when he played in Swan but I like the guy nonetheless.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
puck stoppa

Guerzy, I know you followed O'Dell quite a bit in Junior and were quite high on him. What kind of player do you think he can become, I am quite intrigued with his steady play this year and am wondering if he'll crack the lineup in the next few years.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
I don't know him either, but the numbers are great and I love the idea of adding next to free talent.

Interestingly it would also give the Jets 3 of the NCAA's top 7 statistical goalies from this season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...AA&season=2012

Old
03-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Should draft Red Deer Rebels and Czech U-20 goalie Patrik Bartosak. His size is just average, but he is really solid positionally and has been almost inarguably the best goalie in the WHL this year. I was stunned when he failed to get drafted last year, he will get drafted this year. Is eligible to head to St. John's next year, could compete with Pasquale right away for playing time, IMO. Only Pasquale is likely to be back among our minor league goalies (Carrozzi and Dekanich released, IMO), so we do need something coming in.

Old
03-04-2013, 08:55 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 50
from mynhldraft.com

Just a fun visual.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Boreal

I'm not sure if picking Hunter Shinkaruk around the 10th spot would make me happy or sad.

Old
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
The Panthers already have a Q stud.. they don't need another. Pass him over to us.

03-04-2013, 10:26 PM
roosemoose

Mark Scheifele will be a dynamite hockey player for the Jets he just needs a few more years to develop. I like the way the Jets are taking time with him and just not rushing him like lots of other teams do with their draft picks.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

if he takes a few more years we should be very concerned. the amount of players that play more then one season in the ahl (outside of detroit) and turn into impact players is frighteningly small. Im hopeful he can make the team this fall.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
if he takes a few more years we should be very concerned. the amount of players that play more then one season in the ahl (outside of detroit) and turn into impact players is frighteningly small. Im hopeful he can make the team this fall.
Before the Jets came back, I had the same concerns with Kadri. Seeing Kadri now allows me to be much more patient with Scheif.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
Before the Jets came back, I had the same concerns with Kadri. Seeing Kadri now allows me to be much more patient with Scheif.
still... its far more frequently an indicator of bust then "just a later bloomer"

I'll reswerve judgement, but if after one year in the AHL and schiefele's not on the roster, i'll be wringing my hands.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
still... its far more frequently an indicator of bust then "just a later bloomer"

I'll reswerve judgement, but if after one year in the AHL and schiefele's not on the roster, i'll be wringing my hands.
Scheifele was already a late bloomer to begin with.

You have to remember that he only had one year in the OHL under his belt when he was drafted in the first place. Which was why it was so remarkable that he performed the way he did in training camp. No one expected that; he was expected to be somewhat of a project.

For comparison Couturier already had 3 years of junior in the Q and he went to the NHL directly after the draft. This is only Scheifele's 3rd year of OHL.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:59 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Scheifele was already a late bloomer to begin with.

You have to remember that he only had one year in the OHL under his belt when he was drafted in the first place. Which was why it was so remarkable that he performed the way he did in training camp. No one expected that; he was expected to be somewhat of a project.

For comparison Couturier already had 3 years of junior in the Q and he went to the NHL directly after the draft. This is only Scheifele's 3rd year of OHL.
I'm well aware of all that. Mostly I just don't want to hear anyone say he "needs"/"should" have multiple years on the rock. If he has/needs multiple years on the rock, the chances that he never makes it beyond the third line skyrockets.

Obviously it's not 100% indicative of future failure, but it certainly is not something we should be hoping for/expecting. Every prospect is different, i get that, but we should really be hoping for him to be making his debut next year, with at most one season in the AHL.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Yeah one season in the AHL sounds about right. With the black hole of talented forwards in St. John's he could even be the first line center next year.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

After watching Kadri lately I don't mind Toronto's approach with him. I don't see why Scheif couldn't spend 2.5 years in the AHL and still come in and be a star. It's not like we are planning on contending next year or anytime right away.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Whileee

Quote:
I'm well aware of all that. Mostly I just don't want to hear anyone say he "needs"/"should" have multiple years on the rock. If he has/needs multiple years on the rock, the chances that he never makes it beyond the third line skyrockets.

Obviously it's not 100% indicative of future failure, but it certainly is not something we should be hoping for/expecting. Every prospect is different, i get that, but we should really be hoping for him to be making his debut next year, with at most one season in the AHL.
I like to think that Scheifele will take the same development path as three tall / rangy forwards from the 2003 draft. Two years in Junior, then mostly the NHL with some exposure in the AHL in the 3rd year after the draft.

(see Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Jeff Carter).

Old
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reims View Post
After watching Kadri lately I don't mind Toronto's approach with him. I don't see why Scheif couldn't spend 2.5 years in the AHL and still come in and be a star. It's not like we are planning on contending next year or anytime right away.
I am not really sure they had an approach beyond hiring a bad coach.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I am not really sure they had an approach beyond hiring a bad coach.
yes

i don't want to do anything that toronto has done in the last 10 years.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
yes

i don't want to do anything that toronto has done in the last 10 years.
Except their ability to consistently rip-off Calgary.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Jetsfareast

vCash: 695
How's schiefele doing?
Hope we draft one of the elite forwards this coming draft year.

Closed Thread