HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Blues Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 03:14 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Scott Boras you mean? I've never heard of Steve Boras. I sure as hell hope his agent isn't Scott Boras, though. He'd find a way to break the NHL's rule on ELCs and make him one of the highest paid players in the league. I don't like the man, but I can definitely see why his clients would. He does a hell of a job.
Sorry typo. Don't know where I got Steve from. Maybe his evil twin hockey agent brother...???ha ha

Old
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
h22prelude93

Hey guys my computer is down so I wont be able to update the stats and schedules this week. If someone would like to take over feel free. Thanks

Old
03-05-2013, 04:24 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Sorry typo. Don't know where I got Steve from. Maybe his evil twin hockey agent brother...???ha ha
Yep, missed it also.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Halak Ness Monster

How is Joel Edmundson progressing? I see his numbers have greatly improved since going to Kamloops.

Is he going to be in Peoria next year?

Old
03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Both guys won't play for the Riv until Moncton is knocked out of the playoffs, which could be awhile. Minimum of probably late March if they lose in the 1st round.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Both guys won't play for the Riv until Moncton is knocked out of the playoffs, which could be awhile. Minimum of probably late March if they lose in the 1st round.
I assume that Veilleux has signed a pre-dated contract that won't take effect until July 1. Maybe we'll sign him to a contract with Peoria after his playoff run ends, but I'd be a little surprised if we bothered considering when Peoria's season looks to end.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:45 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Scott Boras you mean? I've never heard of Steve Boras. I sure as hell hope his agent isn't Scott Boras, though. He'd find a way to break the NHL's rule on ELCs and make him one of the highest paid players in the league. I don't like the man, but I can definitely see why his clients would. He does a hell of a job.
I honeslty cannot hate Scott Boras. He is just really good at his job. He's one of the best at getting the most for his clients. The player basically tells Scott what they want and he listens to them if they want top dollar contracts then he goes and gets it. If they want to play for a certain team he makes sure they get a good contract from that team. It's the players that decide what they want. I hold more against the players then the guy doing the best job anyone in his profession does basically.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:24 PM
ItsOnlytheRiver

Edmundson has signed his ELC with the Blues.

via Dan O'Neil on Twitter

Old
03-05-2013, 11:32 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlytheRiver View Post
Edmundson has signed his ELC with the Blues.

via Dan O'Neil on Twitter

Old
03-06-2013, 01:03 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I honeslty cannot hate Scott Boras. He is just really good at his job. He's one of the best at getting the most for his clients. The player basically tells Scott what they want and he listens to them if they want top dollar contracts then he goes and gets it. If they want to play for a certain team he makes sure they get a good contract from that team. It's the players that decide what they want. I hold more against the players then the guy doing the best job anyone in his profession does basically.
I agree. He truly is incredible at what he does.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Jack Parker on Sam Kurker:

Quote:
Parker sees improvement, potential in Kurker

In his first 28 collegiate games, Kurker has two goals and two assists. As a rookie who will not turn 19 until April, he has faced a learning curve after leading St. John’s Prep in scoring last year and being drafted in the second round of the NHL Draft by the St. Louis Blues.

However, BU coach Jack Parker said he envisions Kurker turning into a player comparable to former Terrier Alex Chiasson — the player indirectly responsible for Kurker coming to BU as an 18-year-old instead of playing elsewhere for another year.

“I see him being a power forward for us, a guy that can play on the first few lines,” Parker said. “A guy that might get a chance to play on the power play. That’s what we recruited him for. But he came here a year early.

“He was supposed to be a 19-year-old freshman, but then we lost Alex Chiasson, so we brought him as an 18-year-old freshman.”

Kurker, 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, has the potential to be a physical presence among a group of forwards who don’t throw their weight around much. His 32 goals in 24 games last year prove that he can score, albeit against very different competition, and Parker said he expects Kurker to become a reliable source of offense, as Chiasson was.

“They’re different players,” Parker said. “Chiasson was a little bit more clever, but [Kurker is] a little bit bigger, a little bit stronger and much more physical … He’s as good a skater. He might not be as agile, as quick from here to there, but he gets up and down the ice.

“I’m surprised that he is not getting more goals in the second half, because he is playing much better. He looks like he is much more confident. And he is moving the puck better and shooting the puck better.”
http://dailyfreepress.com/2013/03/06...e-for-2014-15/

Old
03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
My biggest issue with Boras is that he only handles one client at a time. Lohse was put on the back burner while he got some other pitchers (Greinke?) their deals, and then there wasn't a market left. Some players get burned by Boras, hard. He does great for probably 90% of his clients. But he completely lets down some of them too.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

Is Phil McRae ever going to pan out?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Nope, Peoria swallowed up all his talent. God is it ****** down there.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Highly unlikely. There is an outside chance of him making it as a 3C is he moves somewhere. No part of his game particularly stands out enough to find a niche at NHL level though. I mean, you only have to look at who we have called up in the past couple of weeks...

As critical as I am of the set up in Peoria, McRae made a bad decision going to the OHL and should have went down the USHS route when he was young and it stunted his development and it never really recovered.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Highly unlikely. There is an outside chance of him making it as a 3C is he moves somewhere. No part of his game particularly stands out enough to find a niche at NHL level though. I mean, you only have to look at who we have called up in the past couple of weeks...

As critical as I am of the set up in Peoria, McRae made a bad decision going to the OHL and should have went down the USHS route when he was young and it stunted his development and it never really recovered.
I disagree with this. I think playing major junior is actually a good proving ground for a young player. They play a lot of hockey. I think Peoria is as much of his problem as it would've been for Schwartz, if we left him there. Then again, Cracknell seems to play a very solid game. McRae may just need better talent around him.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

On McRae, I always believed his skill/potential was overstated. He was not ruined by Peoria.

His decision to go to the OHL was not the right move IMO. I don't think the USHS route would have worked well either.

Ideally, IMO, he should have went USHL then college... for a few reasons.

1. He never really learned how to develop his body properly and use it effectively. One of the biggest things McRae had was his physical structure. He just never built it into a strength. Physical training is better in the NCAA IMO.

2. He was allowed to build up strengths in the OHL that never seemed likely to translate at the next level. His "dynamic" skill was never going to be a NHL level asset. Rather he should have spent time developing his positioning (a strength of the NCAA), board battling, puck shielding, and shot.

Basically, it seems he was groomed for a 2nd line role, when his hockey characteristics said NHL 3rd liner.

EDIT: The WHL probably would have been better than the OHL.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
On McRae, I always believed his skill/potential was overstated. He was not ruined by Peoria.

His decision to go to the OHL was not the right move IMO. I don't think the USHS route would have worked well either.

1. He never really learned how to develop his body properly and use it effectively. One of the biggest things McRae had was his physical structure. He just never built it into a strength. Physical training is better in the NCAA IMO.

2. He was allowed to build up strengths in the OHL that never seemed likely to translate at the next level. His "dynamic" skill was never going to be a NHL level asset. Rather he should have spent time developing his positioning (a strength of the NCAA), board battling, puck shielding, and shot.

Basically, it seems he was groomed for a 2nd line role, when his hockey characteristics said NHL 3rd liner.

Sure, the WHL would have been better, but its based on location of where you are. One just can't join the league of their choice.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I disagree with this. I think playing major junior is actually a good proving ground for a young player. They play a lot of hockey. I think Peoria is as much of his problem as it would've been for Schwartz, if we left him there. Then again, Cracknell seems to play a very solid game. McRae may just need better talent around him.
The CHL is a great set-up for most kids, but it isn't for everyone. It was undoubtedly the wrong route for McRae.

As Celtic Note points out, the physical attributes should be a strength but aren't. In his first year in London he got next to no ice time due to a combination of his age, strength and the fact the had Kane, Gagner and Kostitsyn. The second year his ice time was still pretty low despite the fact London lost their stars, in part because McRae was getting pushed about, even by small/lighter players than himself. We probably drafted him with the thought process that he is 6'2", once he really fills out then he'll be great. Then in his final 2 years he was "only" a PPG player. He lost 2 years of development in London, when playing in the USHL set up he'd have been playing against kids his own age and then went onto a set up that would have had him playing a more physical game.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post

I get your point on McRae's build, and I'm a bit surprised his father didn't play a better role in preparing him for the next level. The W is the better league for player development I will agree. I'm just not as sold on the NCAA route. It is better than it was. For a while, you wanted to yank any prospects you had out of the NCAA as they seem to regress.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
stlweir

As stated he was never much more than a point per game player in Juniors. He just never got better. For example Backes skating improved, McRae's hasn't. Would anyone who has seen him play rate him as a better than average player in the AHL? An average player?

Gordon

Old
03-07-2013, 01:53 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Typically ex-NHLers push their kids towards the CHL development model. Ryan MacInnis for example will likely go to Kitchener next year (where his father played) to play in the OHL despite having a very so-so year this year for the U17's.

It's very much a dog eat dog world in the CHL compared to the NTDP (if you're lucky or good enough to get chosen) or USHL (1 of the 15 member teams outside NTDP) path, where there are only two games a week and a lot more practice and video time off the ice. Right path for some and not for others.

In hindsight, he should've stuck around the NTDP for his U18 season but that option (and then going to college) was probably never realistically considered. He was already very physically developed for his age and at the time, McRae was a very hot prospect before the OHL draft and was in the same breath as guys like Cody Hodgson a year or so before the 2008 draft. The USHL has become more respected since the time of McRae's development but back then it was a no-brainer that playing in the OHL would significantly increase his exposure and the likelihood of McRae getting drafted in the first round.

It's unfortunate what's happened to him because he was definitely a talent. Sounds like he's had some injury trouble as well the last two years and I would imagine he's probably become a bit disillusioned in Peoria as he's fallen further and further down the organizational depth chart.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Next year it'll all be a total 180 down in Peoria. I know theres a lot of prospects that may make the jump to the AHL. Anyone have a list of sorts? I know one was posted in here but I can't find it..

Old
03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Typically ex-NHLers push their kids towards the CHL development model. Ryan MacInnis for example will likely go to Kitchener next year (where his father played) to play in the OHL despite having a very so-so year this year for the U17's.

It's very much a dog eat dog world in the CHL compared to the NTDP (if you're lucky or good enough to get chosen) or USHL (1 of the 15 member teams outside NTDP) path, where there are only two games a week and a lot more practice and video time off the ice. Right path for some and not for others.

In hindsight, he should've stuck around the NTDP for his U18 season but that option (and then going to college) was probably never realistically considered. He was already very physically developed for his age and at the time, McRae was a very hot prospect before the OHL draft and was in the same breath as guys like Cody Hodgson a year or so before the 2008 draft. The USHL has become more respected since the time of McRae's development but back then it was a no-brainer that playing in the OHL would significantly increase his exposure and the likelihood of McRae getting drafted in the first round.

It's unfortunate what's happened to him because he was definitely a talent. Sounds like he's had some injury trouble as well the last two years and I would imagine he's probably become a bit disillusioned in Peoria as he's fallen further and further down the organizational depth chart.
It was. I remember reading pre-NHL draft that the decision was made that if he was selected by anyone other than the London Knights in the OHL draft 2 years prior, then he was going to the USHL. London Knights selected him in the first round though...

Old
03-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Next year it'll all be a total 180 down in Peoria. I know theres a lot of prospects that may make the jump to the AHL. Anyone have a list of sorts? I know one was posted in here but I can't find it..

Definitely Rattie, Tesink, Edmundson, Jaskin (maybe in STL), Veilleux, Binnington.

Possibly Eronen, Hakanpaa, Wannstrom (again).

Unlikely Lehtera (STL or bust is my guess)

6-10 new guys likely, a fair amount of turn over.

Closed Thread