HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign, recall D Steven Oleksy

Old
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Last year Schultz was in over him because Dale Hunter was sadly a terrible coach (IMO). Wideman was ahead of Green on the depth chart and Aucoin over Semin. No logic at all.

Erskine was part of our best D pair (Poti and him) vs the Flyers in the playoffs. He had a very very good year the next year or the one after that.

His game dipped when we had a very "structured" approach under BB and then Hunter. At least that is what I saw.

And in our best year he was either injured or Joe Corvo pushed him out of the lineup. My memory is hazy about that.
Erksine was paired with Eminger vs the Flyers. Poti and Jurcina absolutely stunk that series up.

In the Montreal series Erskine didn't play at all because Boudreau was scared ****less by the Habs' speed. The 3 LDs were +50, Poti, and ShaMo. When ShaMo got hurt TFS got that spot because of his Olympic skating. Then when Poti went down Alzner finally got called up and took that spot.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Erksine was paired with Eminger vs the Flyers. Poti and Jurcina absolutely stunk that series up.

In the Montreal series Erskine didn't play at all because Boudreau was scared ****less by the Habs' speed. The 3 LDs were +50, Poti, and ShaMo. When ShaMo got hurt TFS got that spot because of his Olympic skating. Then when Poti went down Alzner finally got called up and took that spot.
I could have SWORN he played with Poti!

Vs Monty we did get Corvo at the TDL too and it would have been weird to sit him I guess. GMGM sure loves loading up on puck movers who can skate marginally well.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Here's the deal Tinner. You don't own the rights to being a fan who likes toughness.
I think my hypocrisy meter just broke.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:43 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I don't understand what somebody doesn't like about this deal. We'll have 3 years of a pretty young, agressive and tough d-man for a league minimum in our organization. That's it. I don't see a problem with the term because it's a two way deal.
He's so much better than Stevenson.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I don't understand what somebody doesn't like about this deal. We'll have 3 years of a pretty young, agressive and tough d-man for a league minimum in our organization. That's it. I don't see a problem with the term because it's a two way deal.
Term becomes an issue as they reach the 50 contract limit if it turns out he's got zero value as an NHL asset. Just poor use of a slot. Not, like, earth shattering obviously but I'm not a fan of such a commitment with nothing substantial behind it.

If he can be a ~replacement level/callup-type guy then having him locked up is no issue. If he can't, though, you've locked yourself in for no reason. And that's still entirely possible with him at this point.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I don't understand what somebody does like about this deal. Call up Stafford or Marshall if you want a right handed shot or toughness. No reason to waste this contract slot.

And why you keep bringing up Stevenson, I have no idea. He was a decent flyer to take on a college UFA and his contract expires after this season.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
I just can't get over the fact that you said Schultz was more of a wasted slot than him. And Hamrlik. Both are legitimate NHL defensemen; Oleksy was in the ECHL as recently as last year.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I get signing Oleksy to a deal to call him up. He's been arguably Hershey's best defenseman lately, he's a right shot, and he brings a some nasty and accountability to the line-up. Marshall was also an option, but Oleksy should hopefully at least match what Marshall can do at the NHL level and has a bit more upside given his recent play.

But it could very easily have been done on a one or two year deal rather than three. With Hammer hitting waivers, the Caps are unlikely to hit the 50 contract limit this season. Assuming Hamrlik is picked up, Oleksy puts them at 47, Wey will put them at 48. It's highly doubtful they grab more than 2 NCAA/Euro free agents before July 1st. The only way it could be a problem is if they pick up bodies without giving away contracts at the deadline. And that's an easy problem to avoid (see giving away Hauswirth when getting Wideman, or how Winnipeg dumped Paquette on us when getting Fehr).

Handcuffing that roster spot for future seasons is what I don't get. It definitely doesn't seem necessary, and restricts the team's flexibility further down the line.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:11 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Did I read some describe this move as a way to toughen up the Caps?

Sounds good to me.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:17 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I get signing Oleksy to a deal to call him up. He's been arguably Hershey's best defenseman lately, he's a right shot, and he brings a some nasty and accountability to the line-up. Marshall was also an option, but Oleksy should hopefully at least match what Marshall can do at the NHL level and has a bit more upside given his recent play.

But it could very easily have been done on a one or two year deal rather than three. With Hammer hitting waivers, the Caps are unlikely to hit the 50 contract limit this season. Assuming Hamrlik is picked up, Oleksy puts them at 47, Wey will put them at 48. It's highly doubtful they grab more than 2 NCAA/Euro free agents before July 1st. The only way it could be a problem is if they pick up bodies without giving away contracts at the deadline. And that's an easy problem to avoid (see giving away Hauswirth when getting Wideman, or how Winnipeg dumped Paquette on us when getting Fehr).

Handcuffing that roster spot for future seasons is what I don't get. It definitely doesn't seem necessary, and restricts the team's flexibility further down the line.
Agreed, 100%.

Maybe I'm overreacting a bit, but it's the term that gets me. I have no problem signing a guy like this for the remainder of the season to use as a call-up. That sort of thing is an extremely common practice that every organization does. This deal may even handcuff the Caps from being able to do that in the future. If this guy totally bombs out, they'll have one less roster slot to use to even make call-up signings .

Old
03-05-2013, 04:57 PM
bonzaibondra12

Oh good another undersized "tough" guy. Can't wait for him to get pounded by Lucic tonight.

What a joke. Keep dumpster diving. Soon we can just ice the Bears in DC.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:03 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I just can't get over the fact that you said Schultz was more of a wasted slot than him. And Hamrlik. Both are legitimate NHL defensemen; Oleksy was in the ECHL as recently as last year.
Right now, Oleksy is preparing for a game against the Bruins while Hamrlik is... waived, which means no one even wanted to trade a 7th for him.
Well, with Schultz I may have gone a little bit too far.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I don't think trading some ECHLer will break a big deal. Hauswirth, Hendry, etc. Plus, I think Caps won't qualify Stevenson and/or Paquette. You can always control the number of minor leaguers in the offseason by not qualifying guys who are career minor leaguers. One won't break the whole system. Or rather shouldn't - if GM is not clueless about what he does..

Old
03-05-2013, 05:12 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Some of us are trying to rationalize the 3 years.

We face a bunch of compelling arguments, but why not also venture your best guess as to why George would do you know, actually go for 3 years. C'mon, don't just bash it all day, what's wrong with trying to rationalize it.

Or, is there no possible explanation, no rational thinking whatsoever, and George is just dumb.

I guessed he wants to make a statement to other prospects, and reward a guy willing to give his all - a good soldier. What's your guess?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:17 PM
tycoonheart

he can't be worse than 55

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:19 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Hi,
I'm an HFBoards poster and I'm willing to pontificate about hockey players
who I've never seen play hockey. Take me seriously, or I'll reply to your
messages with a sarcastic emoticon or piece of clip art.
Warm Regards,
HFBoards Poster

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:22 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Hi,
I'm an HFBoards poster and I'm willing to pontificate about hockey players
who I've never seen play hockey. Take me seriously, or I'll reply to your
messages with a sarcastic emoticon or piece of clip art.
Warm Regards,
HFBoards Poster
If you mean me, I saw 50 or maybe more Hershey games this season.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Wey and any other signings for next season won't count against the limit until the following league year unless they sign and get into NHL action (thus starting the contract). If that happens then they're big sellers most likely and the contract limit has already been thinned out. The contract limit is a bigger deal for teams flush in organizational prospect depth or teams like Philadelphia that compensate for it by signing lots of marginal UDFAs. The Caps have instead added older players like Carman, Stoa, Leblanc & Wellman that aren't likely to remain on the books for years to come while being evaluated/developed. They've also managed to get guys like Syner & Almeida to sign to AHL deals. They ought to sign at least a few college free agents this spring and should have ample room. They could have a real influx of prospects going pro after next season but one spot should be manageable enough.

Even if Oleksy is outclassed at the NHL level he's still a pretty serviceable character AHL RD. As far as rationalizations go they must really like the trajectory of his development the past year or so. Oates said as much about his stay in Hershey, however unconventional that all may be.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:47 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
If you mean me, I saw 50 or maybe more Hershey games this season.
I think even puckbunny will admit one doesn't even need to have watched a prospect to know their game. Players fall into roles. His role is as a RH shot tough team guy bottom pair support player, with a little bit of offensive upside. I didn't have to watch his game to know why we signed him, I just look at our teams weaknesses, read up on what Oates said, checked his bio, and its really not that difficult to extrapolate why George signed him.

He likes his fight, he likes his potential, likes his RH shot, in a perennial position of weakness. Yep he sees a core of RD here that are soft, injury prone, and inconsistent. George is attempting to address an ongoing organizational weakness.

Lets see the dynamic of our team for at least one game, after adding another tough D man, and 2nd scrapper in a week, before judgement day.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:30 PM
artilector

Two-way contract? No biggie. Anything to make McPhee feel better.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:35 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

And there is Oleksy with the biggest hit I have seen an RD throw all year

Old
03-05-2013, 06:49 PM
leova

my soul needs a youtube of the oleksy hit

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Edit: wrong thread

Old
03-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Eric Scheib
Hockey's Future Staff

A two way deal isn't a bad deal for a tough guy who adds depth. The AHL is thin on defense who haven't reach vet status. Olesky isn't close to vet status, so this is a guy that can go up and down without waivers, provide at least depth, and allows the AHL team more flexibility with their roster. He's a good locker room guy too and it's hard to determine what value that brings.

Eric Scheib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:11 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

oops i wrong as usual on these things, I thought he would be subject to waivers.

He did fine in his first game, showed a lot to me. I saw a huge hit on the B's goon, good skating, a willingness to shoot. He flubbed his shot on his assist but wisely with Ovi and Ribs near the net, he did what he had to do - get the puck down to the scorers asap. Versus say, shooting it into the corner.