HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 WHL Bantam Draft

Old
02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
AlbertaHockey20

vCash: 500
Goalies are the least likely to matter if they get drafted. Defenseman are next. I remember Ben Scrivens being a mediocre Bantam AA goalie and Leland Irving never even played goalie full time until his second year of Bantam. Allen York was the same in Wetaskiwin, a mediocre Bantam AA goalie at best. York and Scrivens both ended up developing in the NCAA stream at RPI and Cornell respectively I believe. Those three are the only Edmonton area goalies from that age range to make the NHL that I can think of. Scrivens and York weren't even considered for the draft table, but I believe Irving was.

AlbertaHockey20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Sammy DMan

Austin Friesen, D-man with the Winnipeg AA Warriors continued to impress as the season progressed, moving from a dark horse selection mid-season to a legitimate contender as a potential high pick in the draft. A big kid with plenty of heart, Friesen has is a workhorse that gets the job done.

Sammy DMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 02:09 PM
archie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy DMan View Post
Austin Friesen, D-man with the Winnipeg AA Warriors continued to impress as the season progressed, moving from a dark horse selection mid-season to a legitimate contender as a potential high pick in the draft. A big kid with plenty of heart, Friesen has is a workhorse that gets the job done.
How high?

archie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Call me Suds

ctrl + F'd it but didn't see it asked, wasn't reading every post but I bet it was asked.

When is the WHL draft?

Call me Suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Capitals03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutingBC View Post
Been out of action for a while, getting some repair work done. But Iím well enough to type, and promised to follow up on a goalie who plays for BWC A2. This might be a tad lengthy, but a good little read I think Ö and just one of the many great little stories that usually remains untold each year. Here goes.
The Grandview Steelers play Sunday afternoon home games at BWC. As it happens, BWCís Bantam A2 team plays their home games immediately beforehand. On one occasion I was early enough for the Steelers that I saw the last two periods of play for the bantam squad. I recognized the BWC goalie had good size (turns out heís 5í 11Ē, maybe 6-ft), but assumed his movement would be slow or his technique would be clumsy. After all, this was the A2 team right?
Well, neither was true. His play was rock solid throughout. He was technically sound and athletically dynamic in the scrambles. I was intrigued, so I asked a few questions. Turned out to be Josh Barrett, a boy our Goalie Coach had told me about in early summer. More on that in a minute.
Anyway, the next Steelers game I came extra early and watched the whole A2 contest. It was another sparkler for Barrett, allowing just one goal on 34 shots and looking completely at ease and in control of himself. A couple weeks later I watched him post a 40-save shutout in a game his team had no business winning. I was keen to see if he could sustain that level of play, but I couldnít get to his next game myself so I asked the Coach of the opposing team for his thoughts on Barrettís performance Ö yet another shutout, on 31 saves.
Now, here comes the kicker. As I said, I only became aware of this goalie this past summer. Our goalie coach had worked with him in some camps and was very impressed, gave him high marks on his technical work, and especially praised his athleticism and work ethic. But the kid wasnít on my radar at all, so I wanted to learn where he played his first year of Bantam. Turns out he didnít play minor hockey at all last year! He was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatterís disease, a painful bone condition that affects the area just below the knee. (Iíve heard Ryan Kesler talk about having had the same condition at about the same age Ö it almost caused him to give up hockey completely.) Joshís Dad has told me heís mostly outgrown the problem now, but still has to ice his shins after practices to ease the pain.
Think about that. Every time the kid drops to a butterfly, it hurts. Pushing himself back up hurts too. When I shared this little detail with our Goalie Coach, he was stunned. In the weeks of training with Josh he had never heard him complain about, or even mention, his condition.
In any case, neither of us can figure out why Josh isnít on the A1 team. Did he come too late to the party? Is he from the wrong tribe? ;-) What?
Iíve always respected John Batchelor as a Coach, but when I get a chance Iíll have to put the question to him: Why is BWCís best goalie on their A2 team?
Maybe ask the parents of Abbey why your superstar is not on the A1 team. 3 shots 3 goals. Not to hard to figure out.

Capitals03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 11:45 AM
MBScout

Sammy, you and I see the game very differently. Every list I see has Friesen working his way downward as the season progressed. I see him as slow, has trouble turning and a very slow release on his shot. Worst of all I see him as very timid for a big kid. Hesitant on his puck retrievals and reluctant to engage the opposition physically.

MBScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Sammy DMan

Differing perspectives and while neither of us are currently "registered" scouts, maybe that's a good thing.

Sammy DMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:30 PM
monkeywrench

Just wonder does anyone have a guess where David Quenneville will go in the draft? if it is pretty high is there a chance the Oil kings will try and trade up to get him?

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
BaseHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Just wonder does anyone have a guess where David Quenneville will go in the draft? if it is pretty high is there a chance the Oil kings will try and trade up to get him?

Edmonton has drafted from the local area in the past, Not sure DQ will last by the time they get to select. Top 6 D taken. But where you get drafted is usually not where you end up. Most get traded or never make it. He could go AJHL or BCHL route or even USHL.

We make a big deal or WHL. But once you sign you only have a one way path.
I think over 50 players have signed for USA Colleges from the AJHL, and over 120 from BCHL. Some of the 98's are already practicing with teams from these leagues, but they would never tell you that.

BaseHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 04:36 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseHockey View Post
Edmonton has drafted from the local area in the past, Not sure DQ will last by the time they get to select. Top 6 D taken. But where you get drafted is usually not where you end up. Most get traded or never make it. He could go AJHL or BCHL route or even USHL.

We make a big deal or WHL. But once you sign you only have a one way path.
I think over 50 players have signed for USA Colleges from the AJHL, and over 120 from BCHL. Some of the 98's are already practicing with teams from these leagues, but they would never tell you that.
I really hope he takes the WHL route. He is a really exciting player to watch

Old
02-25-2013, 05:33 PM
mooseisloose11

Quote:
My guess is 5-15 range. I've heard some people like him more than Klague but I think Klague is a bit more special/unique IMO. I think he'll be the 2nd or 3rd D drafted and will likely go the W route. Reminds me of Doughty with a little Subban- loves the game.

mooseisloose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Likely 3 or 4 dman taken behind Clague, Fabbro and possible Barberis. Somewhere around the 8 to 12 pick is my guess.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:42 PM
edmontonfan59

Quote:
I also think 5-15. I hope he can grow a few inches soon.

edmontonfan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:00 PM
monkeywrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonfan59 View Post
I also think 5-15. I hope he can grow a few inches soon.
Yeah that would be nice to see him hit a growth spurt. I really hope the Oil Kings try to move up in the draft to get him. I think he has the potential to be a special talent if he gets bigger.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:14 PM
RetiredHockeyDad

Top 10

I'm not in the know like some people. I've seen some games and have heard the talk. With names like Benson, Clague, Fabbro, Patrick, Howden, Quenneville, Kryski, Loschaivo, Steel being thrown around. Anyone care to try and guess the top 10 in this year's WHL Bantam Draft?

RetiredHockeyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:41 AM
BigDuke

Based on what I have seen on a few websites...

1. Benson (AB) Forward
2. Clague (AB) Defensemen
3. Steel (AB) Forward
4. Kryski (BC) Forward
5. Fabbro (BC) Defensemen
6. Hannoun (BC) Forward
7. Patrick (MB) Forward
8. Malenstyn (BC) Forward
9. Barberis (BC) Defensemen
10. Quenneville (AB) Defensemen

Honourable mentions: White (BC), Howden (MB), Jost (BC), Aucoin (AB)

Feel free to disagree.

BigDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:02 PM
ScoutingBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke View Post
Based on what I have seen on a few websites...

1. Benson (AB) Forward
2. Clague (AB) Defensemen
3. Steel (AB) Forward
4. Kryski (BC) Forward
5. Fabbro (BC) Defensemen
6. Hannoun (BC) Forward
7. Patrick (MB) Forward
8. Malenstyn (BC) Forward
9. Barberis (BC) Defensemen
10. Quenneville (AB) Defensemen

Honourable mentions: White (BC), Howden (MB), Jost (BC), Aucoin (AB)

Feel free to disagree.
I don't know anything about SK or MB players.
I have seen Clague and was mightily impressed. I can accept that he would rank slightly ahead of my top 2 D-men in BC. I've also heard from enough people who I trust that Benson and Steel are both exceptional. The only BC Forward that I can imagine might be close to them is Jost (POE).
All that being said, your top 3 seems to be a reasonable possibility but I'll be shocked if Jost doesn't go in the Top 10. And like you, I also expect Fabbro and Barberis to go in the Top 10.
Kryski may very well go in the 1st Round, but definitely not in the Top 10. He's not even in my Top 5 BC prospects, which are currently:
Fabbro (BWC)
Jost (POE)
Barberis (BWC)
MacDonald (POE)
Benjafield (NSWC)
I expect at least three of those to go in the Top 10.
Others from BC who could go in the 1st round are: Hannoun, Anholt, Malenstyn, Kryski, White, Gingras, and Paivarinta (cuz he's a legit 6' 3", that's why).

Last edited by ScoutingBC: 03-02-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Mistaken Team
ScoutingBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:06 PM
monkeywrench

Going to go watch SSAc vs Lloyd today. Very excited to see what makes Clague a lot better than Quenneville. I will post my view after the game.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Going to go watch SSAc vs Lloyd today. Very excited to see what makes Clague a lot better than Quenneville. I will post my view after the game.
Hes not "alot" better. Just better

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:32 PM
MarkPatton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBScout View Post
Sammy, you and I see the game very differently. Every list I see has Friesen working his way downward as the season progressed. I see him as slow, has trouble turning and a very slow release on his shot. Worst of all I see him as very timid for a big kid. Hesitant on his puck retrievals and reluctant to engage the opposition physically.
I would have to agree with MBScout. I haven't seen a ton from him that impresses me. His offensive upside is very limited and he's not a great skater nor does he play physical enough.

MarkPatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 03:36 PM
arsmaster

Clague to Giants...is that the general consensus here?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:36 PM
BigDuke

Out of these teams...Would any of them choose a defensemen over a scoring forward #1 overall?

Vancouver - They would pick the best available, no matter what position...probably Benson.

Prince George - Need everything. Struggling franchise really needs to be smart with pick.

Brandon - Needs Scoring! Forward.

Seattle - Another sniper to go with Barzal

Everett - High end d man to replace Ryan Murray..

BigDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Capitals03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke View Post
Out of these teams...Would any of them choose a defensemen over a scoring forward #1 overall?

Vancouver - They would pick the best available, no matter what position...probably Benson.

Prince George - Need everything. Struggling franchise really needs to be smart with pick.

Brandon - Needs Scoring! Forward.

Seattle - Another sniper to go with Barzal

Everett - High end d man to replace Ryan Murray..

So does Portland get picks after 7th round. ?

Capitals03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

Any merit to the rumour I've heard that he giants would trade the top pick to Seattle for barzal?

synobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:00 PM
dumpitandchaseit

That would be a great trade for Vancouver and a dumb move for Seattle, UNLESS Seattle also got something extra in the trade like another high pick or some players. If Vancouver wouldn't sweeten the pot, I am bet that at least a dozen other WHL teams would. Barzal is a can't miss. So similar to RNH it's scary. I don't think there is a '98 born kid that can compare.

dumpitandchaseit is offline   Reply With Quote