HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
I don't get why Michael St. Croix is so underrated around here. The kid is not big but he's been tearing it up the last 2 years and no one takes him seriously. Is he not a Danny Briere type if he reaches potential?
Mid round pick and hasn't impressed at prospect camp. He's also a top-six or bust player in every sense. I like the kid, but I can see why others might not.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Serious question: which of our prospects are you excited about, BN?
I really like Lindberg and Fasth. Lindberg is a guy who I think gets overshadowed by Fasth and his exciting play. I just really like a forward who battles in the faceoff dot and plays a two way game. If we're lucky they will both be difference makers that we need coming from the bottom lines.

McIlrath is doing very well for his age and coming off an injury. Glad to see the improvement and the maturity, does not seem to take penalties I thought he'd be taking with his size and reputation. Also, I've not given up on Christian Thomas, very encouraged by his recent play. Still has room to grow. Both of these guys are the long term assets I hope just get a cup of coffee right now, battle for roster spots come September.

St. Croix is a guy I liked in his draft, was glad to have him, just not sure how he will transfer over to pro game.

Looking early at the '11 draft looks promising. Miller looks like a player but it will be interesting to see if some of the names picked right after him become even better. Same with Brady Skjei. Still very early.

I have high hopes for Nieves and Fogarty but 1 out of the 2 not bad.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I really like Lindberg and Fasth. Lindberg is a guy who I think gets overshadowed by Fasth and his exciting play. I just really like a forward who battles in the faceoff dot and plays a two way game. If we're lucky they will both be difference makers that we need coming from the bottom lines.

McIlrath is doing very well for his age and coming off an injury. Glad to see the improvement and the maturity, does not seem to take penalties I thought he'd be taking with his size and reputation. Also, I've not given up on Christian Thomas, very encouraged by his recent play. Still has room to grow. Both of these guys are the long term assets I hope just get a cup of coffee right now, battle for roster spots come September.

St. Croix is a guy I liked in his draft, was glad to have him, just not sure how he will transfer over to pro game.

Looking early at the '11 draft looks promising. Miller looks like a player but it will be interesting to see if some of the names picked right after him become even better. Same with Brady Skjei. Still very early.

I hope you mean this year because I'll be disappointed if Fasth tops out as a bottom 6 player.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I hope you mean this year because I'll be disappointed if Fasth tops out as a bottom 6 player.
I'm being conservative. Ya know, they gotta start somewhere, then let's talk top lines.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Mid round pick and hasn't impressed at prospect camp.

Yeah, but he was just drafted at the time. Look at Thomas, he failed to impress in the same camp also, and CT is a year older. CT continued to struggle through his first half a season in the AHL. Yet, he's now doing well and has already been called up.

Saying that St. Croix didn't impress in September 2011 means very little in March 2013. It's been a full year and a half, with many reports coming in that he's shown decent improvement since then.

I'm not saying he is a blue chip prospect, but let's not discount him completely until we have the chance to see him. He's one of the few offensively skilled prospects we have.

People are taking about Mash, Haley, even Palm, and yet, MSC has more value than all of them combined. The kid is still very much a top-10 prospect for us.

He's one of only 4 kids in our farm system who has the potential to develop into a player who scores 60+ points. (Kreider, Fasth and Thomas are the other three.)

Old
03-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Yeah, but he was just drafted at the time. Look at Thomas, he failed to impress in the same camp also, and CT is a year older. CT continued to struggle through his first half a season in the AHL. Yet, he's now doing well and has already been called up.

Saying that St. Croix didn't impress in September 2011 means very little in March 2013. It's been a full year and a half, with many reports coming in that he's shown decent improvement since then.

I'm not saying he is a blue chip prospect, but let's not discount him completely until we have the chance to see him. He's one of the few offensively skilled prospects we have.

People are taking about Mash, Haley, even Palm, and yet, MSC has more value than all of them combined. The kid is still very much a top-10 prospect for us.

He's one of only 4 kids in our farm system who has the potential to develop into a player who scores 60+ points. (Kreider, Fasth and Thomas are the other three.)
Thank you.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Looking early at the '11 draft looks promising. Miller looks like a player but it will be interesting to see if some of the names picked right after him become even better.

That's not fair. You can't expect our scouts to draft the guy who turns out to be the best player because that's awfully hard to predict. About half of the kids drafted at #15 don't even make the NHL, so if Miller becomes a quality third liner who scores 15+25=40, that's a great selection, regardless of anything else.

Furthermore, Miller was NOT drafted to turn out to be the best player available. People are acting like every player is ranked based on their potential with everyone having the same odds of reaching that potential. That's false.

Miller was a "safe" pick. Therefore, by definition, he's not going to turn out to be the best player available at #15. There will be someone who was regarded as high-risk, high-return - someone you didn't want because he was small or injured or whatever - and that player will wind up turning into the best player. Sure, not every high-risk player will succeed, but it will be these players, among those who succeed, will be the best ones available at #15.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

You're talking to a guy who called MSC the most talented offensive player we have in the system. All I was saying is that the things I mentioned might be the reason some aren't as high on him as other prospects. 95% of the people on this board have never watched the kid play. The moment they hear "hasn't looked great" from someone watching Traverse City live, they abandon ship.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:

Interesting - thanks for sharing.

Particularly enjoyed hearing your take on McIlrath given how much you've challenged Beacon on his reports - I thought you were more down on him, but it's now clear you're just looking for more objective assessments.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
That's not fair. You can't expect our scouts to draft the guy who turns out to be the best player because that's awfully hard to predict. About half of the kids drafted at #15 don't even make the NHL, so if Miller becomes a quality third liner who scores 15+25=40, that's a great selection, regardless of anything else.

Furthermore, Miller was NOT drafted to turn out to be the best player available. People are acting like every player is ranked based on their potential with everyone having the same odds of reaching that potential. That's false.

Miller was a "safe" pick. Therefore, by definition, he's not going to turn out to be the best player available at #15. There will be someone who was regarded as high-risk, high-return - someone you didn't want because he was small or injured or whatever - and that player will wind up turning into the best player. Sure, not every high-risk player will succeed, but it will be these players, among those who succeed, will be the best ones available at #15.
It's certainly fair to question the GM and scouts when they consistently prove they cannot draft a top line player. Always opting to take the Millers and Mcilrath's who at the time of draft and now don't project to be top minute top line talents, yet teams drafting after us take the BPA and that player has top line potential.

Not like we're talking 4 rounds later Detroit takes a blue chip Euro, I'm talking the next dozen picks after ours.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Interesting - thanks for sharing.

Particularly enjoyed hearing your take on McIlrath given how much you've challenged Beacon on his reports - I thought you were more down on him, but it's now clear you're just looking for more objective assessments.
My thing with McI is not with him, it's our GM/scouts/staff who thought that he was the best player available. I've chosen to hold them to that. IF he fails, the failure goes to the ones who thought he'd be more than he was gonna be, cause besides the size, toughness, and fact that Gaborik got beatup that year, there was little else to that pick.

I totally root for him to succeed, I just hold a top draft pick to a high standard, I don't want them to just be on the team, I want them to make a difference at least more times than not.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
It's certainly fair to question the GM and scouts when they consistently prove they cannot draft a top line player. Always opting to take the Millers and Mcilrath's who at the time of draft and now don't project to be top minute top line talents, yet teams drafting after us take the BPA and that player has top line potential.

Not like we're talking 4 rounds later Detroit takes a blue chip Euro, I'm talking the next dozen picks after ours.
Agreed, I like the way most of our picks have gone, but it doesn't seem like we ever shoot for the moon with our picks.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
It's certainly fair to question the GM and scouts when they consistently prove they cannot draft a top line player.

Every draft, literally every draft I call for high-risk, high-return prospects and this whole forum lambasts me for it. Why? Because people want to pretend that at #15 or even at #28, they can draft a player without flaws, as if there's no reason they slipped that far down. It's easier to pretend that someone doesn't have the offensive ability ("he's scoring almost a point per game in the OHL") than to pretend that a 5-11 player is really 6-2.

The Rangers like this strategy too. They prefer to get at least one player per draft, knowing that he may not turn into anything special, but hey, at least we'll have a guy like Dubinsky, Anisimov, Miller.

Their strategy works in the sense that they do get these kinds of players on a consistent basis. But if you are drafting Miller, don't be expecting Giroux. You have to take the risk of a strikeout if you are hoping to hit a homerun.

I like the idea of taking someone whose flaw may be something other than offensive skill. Others here are outraged at this thought. Sure in theory, they are ok with high-risk, high-return prospects, but as soon as a real flaw (other than offense) is identified, everyone here is horrified and wants to stay as far away from that draftee as possible.

Keep drafting Miller and you'll keep getting Miller.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Every draft, literally every draft I call for high-risk, high-return prospects and this whole forum lambasts me for it. Why? Because people want to pretend that at #15 or even at #28, they can draft a player without flaws, as if there's no reason they slipped that far down. It's easier to pretend that someone doesn't have the offensive ability ("he's scoring almost a point per game in the OHL") than to pretend that a 5-11 player is really 6-2.

The Rangers like this strategy too. They prefer to get at least one player per draft, knowing that he may not turn into anything special, but hey, at least we'll have a guy like Dubinsky, Anisimov, Miller.

Their strategy works in the sense that they do get these kinds of players on a consistent basis. But if you are drafting Miller, don't be expecting Giroux. You have to take the risk of a strikeout if you are hoping to hit a homerun.

I like the idea of taking someone whose flaw may be something other than offensive skill. Others here are outraged at this thought. Sure in theory, they are ok with high-risk, high-return prospects, but as soon as a real flaw (other than offense) is identified, everyone here is horrified and wants to stay as far away from that draftee as possible.

Keep drafting Miller and you'll keep getting Miller.
What is wrong with Miller Beacon?

Old
03-05-2013, 05:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

Best Player/Pick Available (BPA) is a highly subjective term/concept.

Is the BPA the player with the highest potential/ceiling or the player most likely to reach his projected potential/ceiling? It's not so black and white but rather open to interpretation.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
What is wrong with Miller Beacon?

Nothing is wrong with Miller, but he's not going to be a game breaking 85 point player. He wasn't drafted to be such a player. At #15, you can either go for a nice player who'll likely be a 2-3 liner or you can go for someone who might become a point per game producer or a bust. Miller was the former. If you draft the former, don't expect ppg scorers.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Best Player/Pick Available (BPA) is a highly subjective term/concept.

Is the BPA the player with the highest potential/ceiling or the player most likely to reach his projected potential/ceiling? It's not so black and white but rather open to interpretation.
There is usually a consensus among guys who do this for a living in every sport. When teams go 'off the board' what do you think that means?

Old
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
There is usually a consensus among guys who do this for a living in every sport. When teams go 'off the board' what do you think that means?
Are you making an appeal to a higher authority here?

I asked if the BPA should be deemed the player with the highest ceiling or perhaps a player who is more likely to reach his potential/ceiling despite it not being the highest among the available players? Maybe the answer lies somwhere in between?

It's a grey area is it not?

If there was a consensus among scouts across various teams you would not see instances of teams trading up to grab players they did not anticipate would still be available and you would not read accounts after the fact from analysts and player personnel who were surprised that a player fell in the draft. How often do the players get drafted in close accordance to the outline of the mock drafts presented by ISS and various scouting services/agencies??? How many times have players have fallen out of the rounds they were projected to be drafted in or been drafted ahead of the rounds they were projected to be selected in?

It's clear to me there is not a general consensus among people who do this for a living. Ever watch the organizational meetings for the Oilers on the NHL network leading up to their draft(s)? Lots of player personnel with varying opinions trying to state the case for their opinion of the BPA in each round and they're certainly not always in agreement.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-06-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 06:14 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
We don't have a first this year but I really wish we could draft an offensive diva that booms or busts every once in a while. I want a Henrik Zetterberg or a Datsyuk in the 5th round. Is that too much to ask? Is Lundqvist the only Euro pick were gonna luck out with? No more Zidlicky's for us?

Old
03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
We don't have a first this year but I really wish we could draft an offensive diva that booms or busts every once in a while. I want a Henrik Zetterberg or a Datsyuk in the 5th round. Is that too much to ask? Is Lundqvist the only Euro pick were gonna luck out with? No more Zidlicky's for us?

That diva might be Fasth. But in any event, if let's use our second to draft another Christian Thomas. I know it won't happen though because the Rangers are dead set on drafting at least one guaranteed NHLer every draft.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Stats are updated in the first post. Sorry I've been slacking, I've been on the road for work quite a bit lately.

It's just pain.
Old
03-06-2013, 09:56 AM
SnowblindNYR

I notice Fasth has a really good +/-, is he a good defensive player?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:24 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

How many games left in the SEL regular season approximately?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
How many games left in the SEL regular season approximately?
It ended yesterday.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
My thing with McI is not with him, it's our GM/scouts/staff who thought that he was the best player available. I've chosen to hold them to that. IF he fails, the failure goes to the ones who thought he'd be more than he was gonna be, cause besides the size, toughness, and fact that Gaborik got beatup that year, there was little else to that pick.

I totally root for him to succeed, I just hold a top draft pick to a high standard, I don't want them to just be on the team, I want them to make a difference at least more times than not.
The Rangers were not the only team that had McI ranked in the top 12. He seems to be on track; I think we'll end up being happy with the pick unless you wanted to take a risk on Tarasenko.

Closed Thread