HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
TUCKER 06

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
I'm a goalie, and I'm not even having fun at my weekly pickup games anymore. I don't expect shutdown defense or players laying out to block shots, but players are willingly giving up on plays and just absolutely leaving me out to dry. It's pathetic and ruining the experience for me. I'm getting hammered in front whenever I give up the slightest rebound because no one will tie up sticks or get back after odd-man rushes. Players chase pucks like tee ball players and very few it seems remember basic d-zone schemes.

The most frustrating part is now players are, after whistles and goals, immediately throwing the puck down the ice to a streaking forward, usually while guys on the other team are going off on a change after the whistle. This means half the time, the game is a glorified track meet. Very little hockey actually takes place, just a series of odd man rushes. There's almost zero cycle game anymore, and players don't even try off the puck unless there's a chance of a breakout.

As a goalie, it's just obnoxious as hell to get consistently and totally hung out to dry. Again, I don't expect shutdown defense, pickup is generally very, very loose. But I've been playing hockey for almost 15 years and it's never been this bad.

Thinking about taking a break soon.
This sounds like some of the pick-up sessions I play in. I find some days the game flow and structure is GREAT, and somedays it's complete dog's breakfast.

I will usually give the goalie a tap on the pads after a goal where our side completely abandoned him and say "sorry for the lack of D from all of us." Most of them don't care that they are getting lit up. I even had one guy say "who cares, it's pick-up" and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised by his attitude.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Over the weekend, some idiot defenceman got me with a nasty crosscheck to my back that sent me down while I was around of the crease, but not interfering with the goalie or D. Got back up to stay in the play, saw one ref had his arm up. Next thing I know he's trying to knock my stick out of my hands, but I keep moving to free up to stay in the play.

Next thing I know another nasty crosscheck right in the back and I'm down again. Getting up again I see the other ref also has his arm up now. And I'm pissed.

Eventually the play is whistled and the guys gets a double 4 min crosscheck penalties for 8 minutes of PP time (which we used to pot a few and put the game away) and the idiot got ejected.

I can still feel it in my back 3 days later, but luckily wasn't hurt/injured so I could still play my next two games I had this weekend.

I'm still slightly amazed that people can act that stupid in lower level (E div) recreational men's league where people gotta work the next morning.

Times like that I think game ejections should carry automatic, escalating suspensions starting at 1 game. Weed out the weekend warriors who are out there trying to be the next Matt Cooke (even he's reformed!).

Old
03-05-2013, 03:17 PM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Reading some of these stories you guys have makes me feel glad I'm with a close-knit group that is all for one/one for all. While we do have some disagreements here and there when things get rough (more like some people don't know how to dish out constructive criticism in the right direction and it in turn drives others nuts) we don't have to deal w/some of this other crazy stuff. That though is why I hate going to pickup games, because you end up w/a group of randoms that don't give a darn.
This.

My league team I play for is very tight nip. Yes we give criticism where it's due but we all know it's for the best in the long run. We stick up for each other when needed and keep the game fun. I'd go to war any day of the week with the team I play for.

I've posted a few things in here about venting frustrations but it's been mainly towards guys I'm playing against.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:16 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough View Post
The same can be said for refs. You are getting paid to ref not to be a judge. Grow up.
The players are the problem. I ref them all the same, but the high divs are the guys that cry and whine as if they should be in the show, and every offside, hook, or even subjective call is their reason to act like absolute douches.

That said, it is the few that ruin it for the rest. A dozen guys on div 1 teams and two guys are idiots.

And, if it is a lower division, good refs call it tighter because it is supposed to be cleaner than high div hockey.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:37 PM
macgyverthatshiz

The worst thing that ever happened to adult hockey was Pointstreak. Whos gives a @#$% how many goals or assists you have, just play hockey, drink beer after, and wheel some pigs in the bar with your bro's. I honestly can't even tell you the last time I looked at that stupid pointstreak site.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
The worst thing that ever happened to adult hockey was Pointstreak. Whos gives a @#$% how many goals or assists you have, just play hockey, drink beer after, and wheel some pigs in the bar with your bro's. I honestly can't even tell you the last time I looked at that stupid pointstreak site.
It's all in good fun but some people take it crazy overboard for sure.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
And this is why I stopped going to drop in as a goalie.

Much more satisfying to play for 3 league teams to soak up your time. I'll only jump into a drop in if I haven't played in 4+ days.
I'm inclined to agree - the only scrimmage-type skate that I still participate in is with a group of engineers/scientists/professor types who I've been skating with weekly since grad school.

They hustle and work hard, so it's a lot of fun, but the "true" pick-up games just lead to bad habits as a goalie IMHO.

I used to do a pick-up where they would pay the goalies, and it was miserable - the players used that as an excuse for why they weren't hustling back.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post

I used to do a pick-up where they would pay the goalies, and it was miserable - the players used that as an excuse for why they weren't hustling back.
Yikes.

And I thought the excuse of "you're playing for free" was bad enough.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopALoop View Post
And this is why I stopped going to drop in as a goalie.

Much more satisfying to play for 3 league teams to soak up your time. I'll only jump into a drop in if I haven't played in 4+ days.
Delayed apology for all the cherry picking and non-existent back checking back in the days we played

Old
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

I tried league play when I first started, and too many people took it way too seriously.

Guys who were nice as heck off ice turned beastly once the puck started, as if they were a Dr. Jekyll/Mr.Hyde type. As someone well into their 40s, my competitive sports career ended over 2 decades ago, and couldn't really care less if the team won - the important issue to me is always did you make good plays, set up good possessions by controlling the puck, perform without dumb mistakes, make nice passes, etc. The end results are of no interest, and that perspective did not endear me to the rest of my teammates.

I stick to open hockeys for the much longer ice time, relaxed environment, and the fact that my goalie won't throw his stick at me if I make a mistake in our end. It also allows me to practice certain types of plays one can't easily work on even in a stick-n-puck, like catching hard passes while racing up ice, or stickhandling through traffic. If I continue to improve, I might someday go back to league...

Old
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me the ~$2 per game is worth it for refs and to have a reason to play defense. High levels of rec league are intense but at the lower levels it is a bit more laid back. And you get to know your teammates and have lines and what not.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For me the ~$2 per game is worth it for refs and to have a reason to play defense. High levels of rec league are intense but at the lower levels it is a bit more laid back. And you get to know your teammates and have lines and what not.
In Colorado, it's more around $20/game (although that doesn't seem to deter people).

Old
03-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ugh, I meant $2 extra per game. Actually probably closer to $5 per game depending on the league. Although the Spring league I'm playing soon is $2 cheaper per game.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:51 PM
CoopALoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Delayed apology for all the cherry picking and non-existent back checking back in the days we played

Back then I was just wee tadpole in terms of goal experience. I think that was also before Levinsky's team took form.

I didn't know better back then.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ugh, I meant $2 extra per game. Actually probably closer to $5 per game depending on the league. Although the Spring league I'm playing soon is $2 cheaper per game.
Ah, got it. I'm a little slow today.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Ryan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
yep, some people care wayyyy too much in the ball hockey league i play in

Old
03-06-2013, 05:32 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I tried league play when I first started, and too many people took it way too seriously.

Guys who were nice as heck off ice turned beastly once the puck started, as if they were a Dr. Jekyll/Mr.Hyde type. As someone well into their 40s, my competitive sports career ended over 2 decades ago, and couldn't really care less if the team won - the important issue to me is always did you make good plays, set up good possessions by controlling the puck, perform without dumb mistakes, make nice passes, etc. The end results are of no interest, and that perspective did not endear me to the rest of my teammates.

I stick to open hockeys for the much longer ice time, relaxed environment, and the fact that my goalie won't throw his stick at me if I make a mistake in our end. It also allows me to practice certain types of plays one can't easily work on even in a stick-n-puck, like catching hard passes while racing up ice, or stickhandling through traffic. If I continue to improve, I might someday go back to league...
I think you probably made the right decision if you are more interested in just a laid back time on the ice. People play sports, not just hockey, but sports in general because they are competitive. I've played sports my life because I am competitive. It's just who I am and I noticed most people in league play are the same way. I don't think that is really anything to apologize for. When I play I play too win. I'm going to play within the rules and with respect but I want to win and I expect my teammates to feel the same way. Sports are an outlet for competitive people.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:30 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan52 View Post
yep, some people care wayyyy too much in the ball hockey league i play in
Which league is that? Surprised to see a Brampton user.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think you probably made the right decision if you are more interested in just a laid back time on the ice. People play sports, not just hockey, but sports in general because they are competitive. I've played sports my life because I am competitive. It's just who I am and I noticed most people in league play are the same way. I don't think that is really anything to apologize for. When I play I play too win. I'm going to play within the rules and with respect but I want to win and I expect my teammates to feel the same way. Sports are an outlet for competitive people.
I play to win too, maybe because I'm older now, but I realize getting pissed about something I can't control does know good. If I'm on a team that's not dominate, I try to enjoy the game as much as possible and do my part to be a team player and when.

The weekend warrior types that get upset and want to fight in beer leagues are hilarious at this point of my life.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:45 PM
OpenIceHit42

I skate with some buddies in a lower level roller beer league on Sunday AM's and twice this morning the same guy nut checked me. Dude had no hockey etiquette and was a straight bender. Of course the second time my emotions got the best of me and I retaliated but that's one thing that really rubs me wrong.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
octopi

Did I already come in and whine about how terrible I am at hockey? No reflexes, slow, awkward, no spatial perception, get beat by everyone. And this is in beginner level rec. Just trying to find somewhere I can play against children or blind people....then I might have a chance.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:35 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Did I already come in and whine about how terrible I am at hockey? No reflexes, slow, awkward, no spatial perception, get beat by everyone. And this is in beginner level rec. Just trying to find somewhere I can play against children or blind people....then I might have a chance.
From the sounds of things, I'd look back a couple pages if I were you and find the topic on a DIY-pass-buddy. I bet passing off that, catching it's passes back, and the handling in between would do you wonders. Take care.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post

To the guy who was saying that he doesn't care about winning... I get where you're coming from, but if I'm playing on a team in an organized adult league, it would bother me if one of my team-mates didn't care about winning. Maybe it's just me but it definitely bothers me when dudes are just non-chalant and not trying hard throughout the game. I get it if they're of a higher skill-level than the rest of the guys, but other than that I'd hope that everyone is playing to win.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:01 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

Well, my minor hockey career is virtually over. Lost 8-7 in our Playoff Semi-Final to our division rivals. We we're down 6-1 halfway through, stormed back to 8-6, pulled the goalie with a minute left and I managed to sneak one in with 45 seconds left, but it wasn't enough. I have a tournament next week but after that I'm completely done. I finished this season with 14G 9A 23P in 11 games, in just my 2nd season as a player (10 previous as a goalie) and my first season dawning the "C". It's kinda sad saying goodbye, after 13 years of minor hockey.

Now I move onto Beer League, not sure who I'll be playing for or what my role will be, but I hope to get going soon. More time away from hockey, the more I miss it and the more I crave it. I don't know what to expect, considering I just got the hang of playing minor hockey as a forward, stepping into beer league is a whole new game. I'm an 18 year old kid stepping onto the same ice surface as full grown men. Luckily I've played Floor Hockey with men for the past year or so, so I've adapted to being the smallest guy and still being effective.

But with skates on, will it be the same? I won't stand a chance in the corners, I'm only 135 pounds, I'll get manhandled. The only part of my game that I'll be able to maintain is my speed and my shot, but my defensive play will take a toll. I've also been known to get under people's skin easily, although I gave that up when I got the "C" and intend to keep that away from my game until I need it, plus pissing off a bunch of full grown men isn't smart considering my size. And yes, I will be keeping my cage on until I feel comfortable without it and have the funds to buy a visor, they aint' cheap.

I'm both curious and a bit nervous for my jump to the beer league level, but I hope it just allows me to play the game I love.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
03-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Hendricks433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Well, my minor hockey career is virtually over. Lost 8-7 in our Playoff Semi-Final to our division rivals. We we're down 6-1 halfway through, stormed back to 8-6, pulled the goalie with a minute left and I managed to sneak one in with 45 seconds left, but it wasn't enough. I have a tournament next week but after that I'm completely done. I finished this season with 14G 9A 23P in 11 games, in just my 2nd season as a player (10 previous as a goalie) and my first season dawning the "C". It's kinda sad saying goodbye, after 13 years of minor hockey.

Now I move onto Beer League, not sure who I'll be playing for or what my role will be, but I hope to get going soon. More time away from hockey, the more I miss it and the more I crave it. I don't know what to expect, considering I just got the hang of playing minor hockey as a forward, stepping into beer league is a whole new game. I'm an 18 year old kid stepping onto the same ice surface as full grown men. Luckily I've played Floor Hockey with men for the past year or so, so I've adapted to being the smallest guy and still being effective.

But with skates on, will it be the same? I won't stand a chance in the corners, I'm only 135 pounds, I'll get manhandled. The only part of my game that I'll be able to maintain is my speed and my shot, but my defensive play will take a toll. I've also been known to get under people's skin easily, although I gave that up when I got the "C" and intend to keep that away from my game until I need it, plus pissing off a bunch of full grown men isn't smart considering my size. And yes, I will be keeping my cage on until I feel comfortable without it and have the funds to buy a visor, they aint' cheap.

I'm both curious and a bit nervous for my jump to the beer league level, but I hope it just allows me to play the game I love.
Good luck! Im hoping to find my first league soon, hopefully find a team that needs an extra guy for the spring league around here.

If you switch to a visor check our hockeytron.com. Their visors get great reviews and theyre only $30.

Closed Thread