HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh eyeing Iginla

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 03:15 PM
  #101
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,814
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
No, what's cute is you believe it won't be conditional. See Carter or Nash's deal both included conditional firsts.
No they did not

Quote:
traded their captain to the Rangers on Monday along with defenseman Steven Delisle and a conditional third-round selection in the 2013 NHL Draft in exchange for forwards Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov, defenseman Tim Erixon and the Rangers' first-round selection in the 2013 Draft.
Quote:
sent forward Jeff Carter from Columbus to the Los Angeles Kings for defenceman Jack Johnson and a first-round draft pick in either 2012 or 2013.
both did not have a condition on it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:19 PM
  #102
jigglysquishy
Registered User
 
jigglysquishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,376
vCash: 492
I still think Bennett is the answer to Pittsburgh's problems + Iggy

Bennett-Crosby-Iginla
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
  #103
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
No, what's cute is you believe it won't be conditional. See Carter or Nash's deal both included conditional firsts.
Carter and Nash were not UFA's to be and they had other pieces that were probably viewed as more valuable than a 1st.

For the past few months I have been one of the people that was saying that Flames fans were asking too much for Iginla but even I think he will return a 1st, a prospect, and maybe a 3rd line player or another pick or prospect and then maybe a comditional 2nd or something like that.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:28 PM
  #104
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
No, what's cute is you believe it won't be conditional. See Carter or Nash's deal both included conditional firsts.
lol. I remember when I was naive and uninformed. It will get better son, don't worry.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
  #105
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I think everyone is having chuckles all around. But do agree that a 1st (unconditional) would be included in almost every Iginla deal. Conditional picks may be added based on re-signing.
Precisely.

Maatta/Morrow
Kennedy
2013 1st Round Pick
Conditional 2014 2nd Round Pick*

for

Iginla
Jackman/Butler

*turns into a 2014 1st round pick if Iginla re-signs or if the Penguins win the Stanley Cup

But all of this is just academic. The Flames won't ask Iginla to waive his NTC, nor will he ask to be moved. He'll just walk as a UFA and the Pens can sign him for a 2-3 year deal at 4-5M per in the off season. Whatever happens, I hope Iginla gets another chance to win the Cup.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
  #106
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate
 
Mo Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palm Isle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
No they did not





both did not have a condition on it.
Wrong again champ..

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, CA — Desperate for scoring, and to keep his job, Los Angeles Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi has sent talented defenseman Jack Johnson and a conditional first round draft pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for center Jeff Carter.



http://frozenroyalty.net/2012/02/24/...-their-savior/


Iginla is not going to get close to what Flames fans want, should he in fact get traded. There is no way Shero empties the cupboard for an aging star in the twilight of his career. See Hossa, Marian.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:40 PM
  #107
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,814
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
The condition is which year the pick is it has nothing to do with it not being a first round pick

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:40 PM
  #108
CaptainIginla
The king is back
 
CaptainIginla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Maybe Kuniz and thats it.
Lol NO thanks from the Flames

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  #109
Gary83*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
And what were the conditions, champ?

The choice of which year they want the first. Good job.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:54 PM
  #110
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Precisely.

Maatta/Morrow
Kennedy
2013 1st Round Pick
Conditional 2014 2nd Round Pick*

for

Iginla
Jackman/Butler

*turns into a 2014 1st round pick if Iginla re-signs or if the Penguins win the Stanley Cup

But all of this is just academic. The Flames won't ask Iginla to waive his NTC, nor will he ask to be moved. He'll just walk as a UFA and the Pens can sign him for a 2-3 year deal at 4-5M per in the off season. Whatever happens, I hope Iginla gets another chance to win the Cup.
I think that proposal is getting close to what it would take to get it done.

I think it will look more like this

To Pitt: Iginla

To Calgary:

2013 1st
Kennedy
prospect outside of their top 3
conditional 2nd in 2014 if Iginla re-signs or they win the Cup

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:21 PM
  #111
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I think that proposal is getting close to what it would take to get it done.

I think it will look more like this

To Pitt: Iginla

To Calgary:

2013 1st
Kennedy
prospect outside of their top 3
conditional 2nd in 2014 if Iginla re-signs or they win the Cup
Why would Pittsburgh give that much up for what is likely a few weeks rental? Iggy gives them a better chance at a cup but they are hardly shoe ins with him, and he does not solve their primary issue which a lot of us think has to do more with Bylsma's system and adjustments than it does with talent. If the first were conditional instead of the second you might get Shero's ear. Otherwise, I would hope that Shero were not that dumb. With Crosby signed for life and only age 25 the window is open for the better part of the coming decade, not just this year.

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:19 PM
  #112
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 1303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Why would Pittsburgh give that much up for what is likely a few weeks rental? Iggy gives them a better chance at a cup but they are hardly shoe ins with him, and he does not solve their primary issue which a lot of us think has to do more with Bylsma's system and adjustments than it does with talent. If the first were conditional instead of the second you might get Shero's ear. Otherwise, I would hope that Shero were not that dumb. With Crosby signed for life and only age 25 the window is open for the better part of the coming decade, not just this year.
Iggy has a NMC.

He has been a Flame his entire Career.

If he wants to be moved, it will be his choice.

Why would he move across the Country for 2 months of hockey?


Chances are, if he gets moved, he is staying there for 2+ years.

If you get Iginla + Crosby for 2 years, i honestly wouldnt be surprised to see Iginla score close to 50 goals again.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
  #113
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I think that proposal is getting close to what it would take to get it done.

I think it will look more like this

To Pitt: Iginla

To Calgary:

2013 1st
Kennedy
prospect outside of their top 3
conditional 2nd in 2014 if Iginla re-signs or they win the Cup
Unfortunately it seems every prospect suggested is inside the Penguins' top 3. That's what makes this a very difficult thing to negotiate amongst fans. Everyone thinks their prospects are so great, not realizing they are just another kid with potential who may or may not make it to the show. Sitting on a prospect that might not develop at the NHL level is pretty stupid when you're close to winning a championship. Think the Flames regret trading Brett Hull to the Blues for Ramage and Wamsley? Not a chance. Wamsley allowed Vernon to rest down the stretch and Ramage was key for the Flames in post-season after Suter went down. Without that trade the Flames don't win the cup.

Frankly, I think the Pens and the Flames should make a blockbuster and the Pens should go for it. The Penguins need a depth blueliner, a top six winger and a goaltender (Fleury is questionable) to make a serious run. I think Iginla, Kiprusoff and Butler/Sarich meet the needs and make Pittsburgh almost unstoppable. The only question is what are the Penguins willing to give up to become that favorite?

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:39 PM
  #114
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,142
vCash: 500
It just seems like Calgary is content with sucking now with Iginla & sucking three years now with out him instead of doing the smart thing & rebuilding.

If they could get a 1st & one of our D prospects to add to what they have three years from now they could have a decent core of players. Yes there is no guarantee that pick or prospect pan out but there is far less of a chance that the Flames win anything with this it's current team.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:40 PM
  #115
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.
 
Dying Alive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Ireland
Posts: 6,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Unfortunately it seems every prospect suggested is inside the Penguins' top 3. That's what makes this a very difficult thing to negotiate amongst fans. Everyone thinks their prospects are so great, not realizing they are just another kid with potential who may or may not make it to the show. Sitting on a prospect that might not develop at the NHL level is pretty stupid when you're close to winning a championship. Think the Flames regret trading Brett Hull to the Blues for Ramage and Wamsley? Not a chance. Wamsley allowed Vernon to rest down the stretch and Ramage was key for the Flames in post-season after Suter went down. Without that trade the Flames don't win the cup.

Frankly, I think the Pens and the Flames should make a blockbuster and the Pens should go for it. The Penguins need a depth blueliner, a top six winger and a goaltender (Fleury is questionable) to make a serious run. I think Iginla, Kiprusoff and Butler/Sarich meet the needs and make Pittsburgh almost unstoppable. The only question is what are the Penguins willing to give up to become that favorite?
As a Pens fan I have zero interest in this. Putting aside the fact that Fleury hasn't been an issue whatsoever this season - if anything he's been playing well - with all due respect to Kiprusoff, what has he accomplished in the post-season that Fleury hasn't? Plus he's 8 years older.

In terms of D what they need is for Martin to get healthy and Letang to take his head out of his ass, frankly.

I'm not interested in seeing the Pens make a blockbuster trade. I'm interested in seeing them make tweaks and shoring up some problem areas.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
  #116
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Iginla to Pittsburgh thread number 1 million and 1.
A quick search of Iginla and Pittsburgh suggests that this is thread #300.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
  #117
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Unfortunately it seems every prospect suggested is inside the Penguins' top 3. That's what makes this a very difficult thing to negotiate amongst fans. Everyone thinks their prospects are so great, not realizing they are just another kid with potential who may or may not make it to the show. Sitting on a prospect that might not develop at the NHL level is pretty stupid when you're close to winning a championship. Think the Flames regret trading Brett Hull to the Blues for Ramage and Wamsley? Not a chance. Wamsley allowed Vernon to rest down the stretch and Ramage was key for the Flames in post-season after Suter went down. Without that trade the Flames don't win the cup.

Frankly, I think the Pens and the Flames should make a blockbuster and the Pens should go for it. The Penguins need a depth blueliner, a top six winger and a goaltender (Fleury is questionable) to make a serious run. I think Iginla, Kiprusoff and Butler/Sarich meet the needs and make Pittsburgh almost unstoppable. The only question is what are the Penguins willing to give up to become that favorite?
Why is it Calgary fans want to send us three of four pieces to **** us of prospects and picks, while we need only one piece. We have Fleury. He is our starting goalie. We don't acquire Kipper to be a backup. Butler isn't that good and neither is Sarich. What exactly do they provide? Either of those two don't help make Pittsburgh unstoppable.

Pittsburgh only seems to care about one player - that is Iggy. That's it, unless maybe Glencross becomes available. The others make zero sense.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
  #118
Sutter16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
I'd love to bring Iginla in here.But 1.He is probably going to cost too much. 2. He could sign elsewhere when his contract is up. 3.We dont need another big cap hit with Malkin and Letang due for new contracts soon. And a Setoguchi/Kulemin is cheaper. I think Iginla is a great player, but not a big need in Pittsburgh.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:25 PM
  #119
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Why would Pittsburgh give that much up for what is likely a few weeks rental? Iggy gives them a better chance at a cup but they are hardly shoe ins with him, and he does not solve their primary issue which a lot of us think has to do more with Bylsma's system and adjustments than it does with talent. If the first were conditional instead of the second you might get Shero's ear. Otherwise, I would hope that Shero were not that dumb. With Crosby signed for life and only age 25 the window is open for the better part of the coming decade, not just this year.
I think it has to do with the system and a lack of the kind of talent that is required to play any other way than what they do. They do not have the D to play a more defensive style. I think D is where their priority should be, not Iginla. It was more of a hypothetical thing.

I really don't think there is any way at all that Calgary will settle for anything less than a 1st unless the Pens want to give up Derrick Pouliot, they are pretty much the same thing and why I originally said a 1st and a prospect outside of the top 3 prospects.

I really don't think any team would trade aplayer like Iginla for a conditional 1st round pick unless they are getting something more valuable in the deal. A player like that just isn't available for less than a 1st round pick and a prospect. Sure, they could probably trade Letang for him but that doesn't make any sense.

I think we can be absolutely certain that there will be teams who are willing to give up a 1st for Iginla, not doing that or the equivilant just takes the Penguins out of any consideration for Iginla. AT least that is my opinion.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:32 PM
  #120
RussianFive
Rookie User
 
RussianFive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
It won't happen because Calgary management is still living in denial and believes the team can make a splash in the playoffs.
This.

The longer they stay in the playoff hunt this season, the less likely they'll make the moves to acquire pieces they need to make to compete long-term on a regular basis.

RussianFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
  #121
nmbr_24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter16 View Post
I'd love to bring Iginla in here.But 1.He is probably going to cost too much. 2. He could sign elsewhere when his contract is up. 3.We dont need another big cap hit with Malkin and Letang due for new contracts soon. And a Setoguchi/Kulemin is cheaper. I think Iginla is a great player, but not a big need in Pittsburgh.
I think the only way to look at it is as a rental, the rest of the season and the playoffs. I wouldn't worry about trying to re-sign him, it would be a deal to try and win the Cup this year just like the Hossa deal.

Only offer up what you would give to have a better chance to win the Cup this year, if he re-signs, great, if he doesn't you don't have it planned that he does anyway.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:56 PM
  #122
Stewie Griffin
Moderator
Benevolent Overlord
 
Stewie Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 6,685
vCash: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
It just seems like Calgary is content with sucking now with Iginla & sucking three years now with out him instead of doing the smart thing & rebuilding.

If they could get a 1st & one of our D prospects to add to what they have three years from now they could have a decent core of players. Yes there is no guarantee that pick or prospect pan out but there is far less of a chance that the Flames win anything with this it's current team.
Or maybe they are waiting for the trade deadline to see who comes to the table with the best offer?

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
  #123
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I think that proposal is getting close to what it would take to get it done.

I think it will look more like this

To Pitt: Iginla

To Calgary:

2013 1st
Kennedy
prospect outside of their top 3
conditional 2nd in 2014 if Iginla re-signs or they win the Cup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Why would Pittsburgh give that much up for what is likely a few weeks rental?
That's very little, to be honest. Even the rental of a player like Iggy will require a first. And Kennedy and, like, Dumoulin isn't a crazy price tag for Calgary to put on Iggy.

Of course, I don't see it happening. For one thing, Iggy needs to want out and it isn't clear that he does. For another, my gut tells me if the Flyers catch wind of Iggy's availability, they'd overbid this if only to keep Pittsburgh from getting that particular player.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
  #124
OCPenguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
That's very little, to be honest. Even the rental of a player like Iggy will require a first. And Kennedy and, like, Dumoulin isn't a crazy price tag for Calgary to put on Iggy.

Of course, I don't see it happening. For one thing, Iggy needs to want out and it isn't clear that he does. For another, my gut tells me if the Flyers catch wind of Iggy's availability, they'd overbid this if only to keep Pittsburgh from getting that particular player.
Here is the thing ... I'm not sure Philly has good assets to deal. The farm system is bare.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  #125
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,992
vCash: 500
I just don't see it happening because it makes too much sense.

1st, Kennedy, Maata would be great for both teams.

WarriorScholar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.