HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 11:11 PM
OHLTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Is Niagara a powerhouse this year? They look pretty pedestrian on paper...sub 500, bottom half of the league in points and middle of the pack on goals for (including that outburst on Windsor today). They looked to be a onel line team and now they are without two of their top 5 players in Theoret and Hamilton. It looks to me like the Strome, Ritchie, and Shipley show now, and not much else...
You've got a team with Strome, Ritchie, and Shipley...you're a powerhouse. They can score when they want. Their defence is suspect, hence the record.

Quote:
Strome and Ritchie don't even show that much.
We must have different definitions of "don't even show that much."

Strome - 90 points in 51 games.

Ritchie - 72 points in 49 games (incl 38 goals).

If that's not much, I'm scared to see what is.

Their biggest issue is they have Festarini in net...and that's it. Moran is 16 and has struggled this year (GAA over 4.50, SV % under .870). He's young, but when you have no real back-up, you'll have issues.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:33 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You've got a team with Strome, Ritchie, and Shipley...you're a powerhouse. They can score when they want. Their defence is suspect, hence the record.

We must have different definitions of "don't even show that much."

Strome - 90 points in 51 games.

Ritchie - 72 points in 49 games (incl 38 goals).

If that's not much, I'm scared to see what is.

Their biggest issue is they have Festarini in net...and that's it. Moran is 16 and has struggled this year (GAA over 4.50, SV % under .870). He's young, but when you have no real back-up, you'll have issues.

Strome scoreless in 7 straight before getting 1 this afternoon.

Strome before WJs 1.93 ppg
Strome after WJs 1.47 ppg

Ritchie before WJs 1.56 ppg
Ritchie after WJs 1.29 ppg

Still quite productive but both players are not playing at the same level they were before the WJs. Keep in mind as well Ritchie had really been struggling until the past 4 games he has 7g 3a in that span.

I have even been told by a scout the one player has said on more than one occasion he's not even pushing himself to play well just wants to start his pro career.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:46 PM
OHLTG

I'd take a player with 1.3 or 1.5 PPG any day. While they might not be motivated, they definitely bring a ton to the table and can help this team go far if they want.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I have even been told by a scout the one player has said on more than one occasion he's not even pushing himself to play well just wants to start his pro career.
Where have we heard that before...

Old
03-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Boughie Man
Rookie User

Broadcast Team

Hey Guys,

New to the form. Big Spits fan. Don't get out to the rink too much I usually catch the broadcasts and I wanted to get your thoughts on how the new guys did in their first year on the job. For me the obvious star was Warriner. I think this guy parlays a couple years in this job to a better one. Macleod has been good granted anyone could look good over the previous guy. As for Aversa I really think the kid has some talent and potential I just wish he would give us more opinions rather than apologies. Some times it seems that Bob and Warren are in his ear pieces telling him exactly what propoganada to spread.

Thoughts?

Old
03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Spitzman

I haven't enjoyed them at all. Kelso brought so much more knowledge and passion to the broadcasts. The broadcasts this year have been riddled with errors. Just my opinion.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughie Man View Post
Hey Guys,

New to the form. Big Spits fan. Don't get out to the rink too much I usually catch the broadcasts and I wanted to get your thoughts on how the new guys did in their first year on the job. For me the obvious star was Warriner. I think this guy parlays a couple years in this job to a better one. Macleod has been good granted anyone could look good over the previous guy. As for Aversa I really think the kid has some talent and potential I just wish he would give us more opinions rather than apologies. Some times it seems that Bob and Warren are in his ear pieces telling him exactly what propoganada to spread.

Thoughts?
I think you're completely wrong.

Old
03-04-2013, 07:37 PM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitzman View Post
I haven't enjoyed them at all. Kelso brought so much more knowledge and passion to the broadcasts. The broadcasts this year have been riddled with errors. Just my opinion.
Gotta agree. As far as I'm concerned Cogeco hung us out to dry with the switch.
If their intent was to attempt to attract the younger audience IMHO they failed miserably. As a STH I go to most of the games but when I let the family use my pair of ducats I watch the games on TV and it's not a pleasant experience. Kelso and company put on a professional performance virtually every night. Kelso in particular kept the game flowing with his insight. He seems to be a true hockey fan and unless I'm mistaken probably has much more access to the management and players even now than this broadcast crew.
I won't hold my breath but it would be a great gesture to the Spit fans if Cogeco admits their mistake and brings back Kelso and friends.....

Old
03-04-2013, 07:37 PM
RayzorIsDull

The one blunder Aversa had was a couple Sunday's ago when Plymouth was in town he said Plymouth was 27-1-1 in their last 29 against Windsor. That's blantantly wrong, if he came up with that shame on him. If a guy gave him that fact Aversa should have known that was so far fetched he should have researched it himself. I don't mind McLeod and Warriner I think one issue they have had is that the team has been so bad there is often a lot of fill time during broadcasts. Two guys in their 1st year of doing pbp and color commentary it's very difficult to fill that time because they haven't developed a chemistry yet. When the games are interesting and something is on the line that's when a broadcast can be interesting.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Nyax

Macleod has been better than I thought he would be. Warriner needs a lot of work but he is new to broadcasting so I can't be too hard on him. I still get the feeling though that they wear London Knight t-shirts under their suits (we certainly know how much they love Seth Griffith).

I'd still much rather listen to Kelso, and I know a lot of people aren't crazy about Dom but I like the passion he brings even if he isn't the most polished announcer. You know Bill and Dom are big Spits fans like the rest of us, which I think is pretty cool. I don't know if you can say the same thing about the new guys.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boughie Man View Post
Hey Guys,

Thoughts?
Aversa is Terable, does anyone know if he watched any hockey before this season? Guy looks lost to me, makes a mistake it seems like every time he talks. Warriner is the worst I honestly think your him trying to get opinions on what fans think, sure the guy has the most knowledge of the three but the guy seems off, i mean he's just slow when he talks and has no enthusiasm at all, I hope he's gone after this season. McCloud is alright I guess, he has some enthusiasm at least and calls the game alright but Id still rather have good ol Kelso calling the games with Dom by his side... This "new look" is a joke in my opinion I mean if the fans liked Dom and Kelso they should have kept them period.And the Highlighted part is where i laughed hard out loud...did you watch any games previous to this season? with a guy like Kelso you get way into the game because thats the way he called it, he wasnt just a play by play guy he was a big fan to and its Kelso>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Macloud and Dom>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aversa and Warriner this is just my opinion tho.

Last edited by Spitsfan67*: 03-05-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 11:52 AM
youngblood10

The new broadcast team is on par with the team they cover. A comedy of errors and worse than I thought they would be. Like everything else with this organization took a big step backwards this season.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
The new broadcast team is on par with the team they cover. A comedy of errors and worse than I thought they would be. Like everything else with this organization took a big step backwards this season.
Dont diasgree with most of what u say except re the broadcast it was strictly a Cogeco

decision,Spits had no say,infact they were not even consulted,changes were made then

they were told

Cogeco"s contract with the league states they have final say regarding on air talent

and in this case took full advantage

Old
03-05-2013, 12:40 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
The one blunder Aversa had was a couple Sunday's ago when Plymouth was in town he said Plymouth was 27-1-1 in their last 29 against Windsor. That's blantantly wrong, if he came up with that shame on him.
The season has been so bad that it felt like 27-1-1. Windsor has had a pretty rough year. Time to start being optimistic for next year and flush this one away.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
The season has been so bad that it felt like 27-1-1. Windsor has had a pretty rough year. Time to start being optimistic for next year and flush this one away.
Actually the Spits so far are 1-5 vs Plymouth and 0-3 vs Owen Sd

against the the rest of the league 23-23-2-6

Ironically SSM the Spits next opponent is 5-0 vs the Whalers,while Windsor"s record

against the Hounds is 4-1

Old
03-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Monty81

Windsor Spitfires forward Kerby Rychel moved up one spot to No. 22 on TSN scout Craig Button’s Top 75 NHL prospect rankings released this week.

http://www.windsoressexsports.com/20...pect-rankings/

Old
03-05-2013, 02:03 PM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Actually the Spits so far are 1-5 vs Plymouth and 0-3 vs Owen Sd

against the the rest of the league 23-23-2-6

Ironically SSM the Spits next opponent is 5-0 vs the Whalers,while Windsor"s record

against the Hounds is 4-1
It just doesn't make sense. Plymouth lost 4 of the 5 by 1 goal. 3 of those went to OT. Windsors 1 win against Plymouth was upsetting in the fact that we started the wrong goalie who couldn't stop a beach ball. 4 goals in 3:55 and it was over. Gotta give the Spits some credit though, they didn't stop coming at the Whalers. For us being rivals, it just didn't pan out to be a rivalry year. Plymouth thanks the Spits for doing the job that we just couldn't get done. Maybe next week we win at the Soo, our last chance this regular season.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Ottomatic

As we've known - Windsor, London, and Barrie are officially the teams in the bidding for the Memorial Cup.

Barrie being an hour away from Mississauga who hosted in 2011(another Eastern Conference Team), and London who hosted it in 2005 - I think we'd have been a shoo-in if our team was remotely competitive. Now it's pretty much a toss-up.

I wonder if the Spits are offering up arena upgrades. IIRC they were rumored for the 2011 bid.

Last edited by Ottomatic: 03-05-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 06:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
As we've known - Windsor, London, and Barrie are officially the teams in the bidding for the Memorial Cup.

Barrie being an hour away from Mississauga who hosted in 2011(another Eastern Conference Team), and London who hosted it in 2005 - I think we'd have been a shoo-in if our team was remotely competitive. Now it's pretty much a toss-up.

I wonder if the Spits are offering up arena upgrades. IIRC they were rumored for the 2011 bid.
How about a real restaurant instead of the sorry excuse of a restaurant they currently have in the WFCU?

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-05-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: offensive
Old
03-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
How about a real restaurant instead of the sorry excuse of a restaurant they currently have in the WFCU?
I'd just get rid of the restaurant idea altogether and put a similar bank of seats like we got at the other end.

But I recall reading where they'd jack up the roof to put a second tier of suits on either side as well.

I think having the high seats on both ends, with the double decker suites along each side would look pretty nice. Probably add 600-700 seats to the capacity to boot.

As it stands now, I suspect the restaurant area would become the media staging area.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 03-05-2013 at 07:31 PM. Reason: offensive
Old
03-05-2013, 06:59 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
I'd just get rid of the restaurant idea altogether and put a similar bank of seats like we got at the other end.

But I recall reading where they'd jack up the roof to put a second tier of suits on either side as well.

I think having the high seats on both ends, with the double decker suites along each side would look pretty nice. Probably add 600-700 seats to the capacity to boot.

As it stands now, I suspect the restaurant area would become the media staging area.
I seem to remember hearing that there was room to add 1500 seats to capacity

Old
03-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Sec108

Please lets take our rose colored glasses off.Do we really need more seats for the WFCU?? Even for hosting??? The so called restaurant lol will be for media if we host but i think the 6,666 capacity will suffice.

Our economy is not getting better if you all havent noticed and could get worse in the next few.Along with a big ???? for the next 5 drafts.Spits have been giving out alot of freebie's the last few games to get over the 5000 mark.

Good call by the org. not increasing season tickets.The long list on the seas.tick brochure is mostly crap.Half size the platinum prking would be a nice start.Most of its empty by game time anyway.

As for the new Cogeco crew.IMO Cogeco took our telecast backwards.These guys sound generic and I wasnt a real fan of Dom but those 3 gave us a real identity amongst all the OHL tonight crews.they were our guys and sounded like they were Windsor guys especially Kelso.He made you excited to watch where as these guys are quite boring.Aversa is just bad pure and simple.Its good they belong to the same lodge as the manag. of Cogeco.

Next season bring back Kelso at least Cogeco.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:01 PM
SpItFiReZ

Any truth to Rychel looking at selling his share and going to work in the show?

Also heard they've already been told they won't get the Memorial Cup from the board

Old
03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpItFiReZ View Post
Any truth to Rychel looking at selling his share and going to work in the show?

Also heard they've already been told they won't get the Memorial Cup from the board
Not surprised on number 2 but why would they even continue the charade? Rychel can go but he better put this organization on better footing before he considers wanting to sell. Win a couple championships, get sanctions put on the organization, have the franchise bottom out and sell your share? Rychel would be hated in Windsor.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Not surprised on number 2 but why would they even continue the charade? Rychel can go but he better put this organization on better footing before he considers wanting to sell. Win a couple championships, get sanctions put on the organization, have the franchise bottom out and sell your share? Rychel would be hated in Windsor.
Even though the odds seemingly increased every day, I still think the ownership group owed it to the fans to still put in a bid for the tournament. To go one a 4 year campaign as all they talked about was 2014, to not put a bid in would shatter what little is left in the optimism around the club.

Where it goes when they aren't awarded the tournament is anyone's guess.

Closed Thread