HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

New England Whalers Join the NHL

Old
03-01-2013, 01:08 PM
cam042686

vCash: 500
New England Whalers Join the NHL

What was the story behind the Whalers changing their name from New England to Hartford in 1979 and why did their logo change? The logo they used in the WHA with the harpoon was in my mind pretty cool.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:00 PM
eastcoaster

I thought it has something to do with the Bruins also being a New England based team. I looked it up and this should cover most of it. There are a few other sources that say practically the same thing.

Alas, the WHA`s days were numbered, and when the league finally folded, the Whalers were one of a select few teams that were welcomed into the NHL fold. This of course came with one major condition set by Boston Bruins ownership: the “New England” had to go from the team name. The 79-80 season subsequently saw the team adopting the city of Hartford as their namesake.

The league switch also saw another logo change for the franchise. Out was the increasingly controversial harpoon-based logo, and in was a combination of a green W under a blue whale’s tail. Perhaps the most intriguing thing about the logo is what many people have never noticed about it: the white space between the W and the whale's tail forms an H, representing their hometown of Hartford. Two things that did not change in the design, however, were the major colours, as well as the presence of Pucky the whale on the shoulder of the jersey, right where he had been since the Whalers first jersey was created.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...9#.UTEVVzCG2So

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:03 PM
brianscot

I have no documentation or article to prove it, but I'm pretty sure that the Bruins twisted other NHL arms to make the Whalers change their name from New England to Hartford when the franchise joined the NHL.

Harry Sinden's disdain for the WHA was beyond strong, especially since Boston lost Cheevers, Sanderson, Green, Mckenzie, et al to the new league and the Boston organization became very territorial.

It must have especially galled Sinden when in their early years, the New England Whalers played home games in the Boston Garden.

All that grandstanding seems silly in retrospect because Bruins fans seldom became Whalers fans and vice versa.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:22 PM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
I thought it has something to do with the Bruins also being a New England based team. I looked it up and this should cover most of it. There are a few other sources that say practically the same thing.

Alas, the WHA`s days were numbered, and when the league finally folded, the Whalers were one of a select few teams that were welcomed into the NHL fold. This of course came with one major condition set by Boston Bruins ownership: the “New England” had to go from the team name. The 79-80 season subsequently saw the team adopting the city of Hartford as their namesake.

The league switch also saw another logo change for the franchise. Out was the increasingly controversial harpoon-based logo, and in was a combination of a green W under a blue whale’s tail. Perhaps the most intriguing thing about the logo is what many people have never noticed about it: the white space between the W and the whale's tail forms an H, representing their hometown of Hartford. Two things that did not change in the design, however, were the major colours, as well as the presence of Pucky the whale on the shoulder of the jersey, right where he had been since the Whalers first jersey was created.

Whenever I saw the Whalers logo, my eye was drawn more towards the H than the W. I never really noticed the W

Also with Philly I don't really "see" the P in it. Rather the whole design

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:23 PM
blamebettman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
I have no documentation or article to prove it, but I'm pretty sure that the Bruins twisted other NHL arms to make the Whalers change their name from New England to Hartford when the franchise joined the NHL.

Harry Sinden's disdain for the WHA was beyond strong, especially since Boston lost Cheevers, Sanderson, Green, Mckenzie, et al to the new league and the Boston organization became very territorial.

It must have especially galled Sinden when in their early years, the New England Whalers played home games in the Boston Garden.

All that grandstanding seems silly in retrospect because Bruins fans seldom became Whalers fans and vice versa.
eh...didn't the whalers have to pay boston to play in their arena? Maybe it was a big brother/little brother thing

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
brianscot

Here's some background on the Boston vs New England/Hartford Whalers unofficial feud.

http://www.funwhileitlasted.net/2012...boston-bruins/

Old
03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
Yes, Ive' read bits & pieces about that, Sindens disdain, venomous attitude towards the WHA. Not uncommon throughout NHL circles at that time but still.... Jacques Plante was another story. Acquired from Toronto, Sinden having big plans for him, play's extremely well over 8 (W7, L1 with 2 shutouts & a 2.00 GAA) games at the end of the 73 season. However, he retired thereafter to accept the Head Coaching position with the WHA Quebec Nordiques, absolutely infuriating Sinden even more. Well, apparently Plante had left his equipment behind in Boston, requesting that it be shipped north to QC.... never arrived. Lost within the bowels of the Garden, maybe in transit along the way?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
nutbar

A bit on the conception of the Whalers logo

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/tag/hartford-whalers

nutbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:45 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Funny, but if they had stuck with New England maybe they wouldn't have moved to Carolina. New England just sounds too classy to let a team move cities. Maybe the NHL would have done more to help this franchise.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Funny, but if they had stuck with New England maybe they wouldn't have moved to Carolina. New England just sounds too classy to let a team move cities. Maybe the NHL would have done more to help this franchise.
I dont know LBD. The Whalers slow exit & move to NC was a seriously complicated and messed up affair. Karmano's was constantly moving the goalposts in demanding seasons ticket subscriptions be increased & minimum thresholds met, then raising them again, jacking up prices by 20%, eliminating 6-10-12-14 game mini-packs, demanded another $45M over & above the already agreed upon terms for a new arena at the last minute, just on & on.

He'd lost out on the Tampa bid to Esposito & Kokusai Green (reputed front man for the Japanese Yakuza, purported golf resort developers but in actual fact involved in money laundering, forefinger snipping, other charms & delights) back in 92, cheaped out, looking to pay $29M instead of the NHL's requirement of $50M in Expansion Fee's. Had lost out in Detroit earlier to Pizza Man Mike Ilitch of Little Caesers fame, Compuwares base. Just a strange character who left to his own devices & freedom.... very smart guy, but right out of the box financially challenged. Bizarro world of Investors in the Canes. Numerous listed "unidentified", anonymous. Some heavy hitters.

Runs a very tight ship financially in NC. A ton of "investors" diluting equity but so what? Its working. Interesting "crew", business model, successful. The guy absolutely loves hockey, and at every level, long time sponsor in Michigan & elsewhere at the amateur & Junior levels. Long time associate Jimmy Rutherford one of my old goalie coaches and just a great all round guy. It doesnt appear to have been then nor even now to tell any owner who's favoured what he can or cannot do. Made examples of Koules & Barrie, Jerry Moyes, but thats a rarity. A guy like Karmanos, no one messes with him.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Giacomin

I hope one day Hartford gets a team back.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
I hope one day Hartford gets a team back.
I concur. Its a natural. Despite the downturn in the insurance & other sectors Hartfords known for, aint going anywhere. A vibrant, interesting and exciting city. Connecticut's gotten a really lousy & bad rap when it comes to accommodating pro sports teams. More a result of incompetence at the municipal & state levels, in the ownership suites & league levels than lack of viability, practicability IMO. Beautiful state. Deserves better. A Hell of a lot better than 2nd tier franchising. One of the wealthiest & most responsive enclaves in the USofA. And now of course theyve got a giant sized chip on their shoulders.

So I ask you, is that even remotely fair, let alone reasonable? The corporate presence from the immediate area & New York, let alone the surnames of people who reside in that state (favourable taxation etc) reads like a who's who from every sector of business, sports & entertainment. Transcending ages, era's. Enormously wealthy & influential. How do you mess that up? Quiet & solitude is one thing, why you live there, but sure, I have friends in that state, theyd welcome the Big Leagues, subscribe, pay big for it. Excuse to get out. Beyond enervating to be taken seriously in that regard, and these people matter. First Class locale for an NHL franchise provided you know what your doing. Boston, NYC etc all within spitting distance.

Old
03-02-2013, 05:50 AM
brianscot

There's been quite a bit of development in Hartford since the Whalers left, including a new convention center. Like many older, historic cities, Hartford has been attempting to flow with the new while maintaining a respectful eye on its past.

The city itself doesn't have a large population, but Hartford has a fairly large (and affluent) metro area. In 2017, high speed train service will commence between western Mass (Springfield) and New Haven, potentially lessening traffic issues for traveling fans.

The civic center? Well it was built in 1974 and like so many proposed arena projects, there's been a considerable tug of war whether tax payer funds or private money should fuel renovations or a new arena.

You would assume that with the business acumen gathered in the metro Hartford area, an equitable approach could be created ---- the politics might be a far harder struggle.

Old
03-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I concur. Its a natural. Despite the downturn in the insurance & other sectors Hartfords known for, aint going anywhere. A vibrant, interesting and exciting city. Connecticut's gotten a really lousy & bad rap when it comes to accommodating pro sports teams. More a result of incompetence at the municipal & state levels, in the ownership suites & league levels than lack of viability, practicability IMO. Beautiful state. Deserves better. A Hell of a lot better than 2nd tier franchising. One of the wealthiest & most responsive enclaves in the USofA. And now of course theyve got a giant sized chip on their shoulders.

So I ask you, is that even remotely fair, let alone reasonable? The corporate presence from the immediate area & New York, let alone the surnames of people who reside in that state (favourable taxation etc) reads like a who's who from every sector of business, sports & entertainment. Transcending ages, era's. Enormously wealthy & influential. How do you mess that up? Quiet & solitude is one thing, why you live there, but sure, I have friends in that state, theyd welcome the Big Leagues, subscribe, pay big for it. Excuse to get out. Beyond enervating to be taken seriously in that regard, and these people matter. First Class locale for an NHL franchise provided you know what your doing. Boston, NYC etc all within spitting distance.
We're talking about Hartford Connecticut here?

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
We're talking about Hartford Connecticut here?
.... yep. Though I'm thinkin more "state wide". I love that place, so entirely subjective. Tootin the horn a bit more than is perhaps entirely objective.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:22 PM
cam042686

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post

Why was the Harpoon logo controversial? I mean, after all, a "Whaler" hunts whales and they normally use harpoons to do so.

Craig Wallace

Old
03-02-2013, 08:40 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post
Why was the Harpoon logo controversial? I mean, after all, a "Whaler" hunts whales and they normally use harpoons to do so.

Craig Wallace
I think it's the whale hunting itself that's controversial. If you grew up in the 80s/90s whalers were pretty much portrayed as the definition of evil. I imagine it's a bit different in the maritime regions where whaling was an industry but in the big cities it wasn't exactly a well-regarded thing.

It's actually kinda interesting that nobody made much of an issue of it when the Whalers were around, but then I think a lot of people identified the Whalers as a team more with whales in themselves rather than people who kill whales (and the logo change probably played a big role in that).

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I think it's the whale hunting itself that's controversial. It's actually kinda interesting that nobody made much of an issue of it when the Whalers were around, but then I think a lot of people identified the Whalers as a team more with whales in themselves rather than people who kill whales (and the logo change probably played a big role in that).
Ya, thats pretty much the way I remember it having gone down. The issue of Whaling (Russians, Japanese etc) had become by the late 70's through 80's controversial, species in decline, Greenpeace and others drawing attention to it, politically incorrect to be invoking that activity in the name of sport. Images of factory ships & dying, bloodied Grays, Humpbacks etc filling the screen almost nightly. So Hartford goes from being "hunters" to the "hunted", cute plush toy whale instead of a lets say psychotic Captain Ahab & crew. Personally, I liked the harpoon, the stronger image & statement, no problem with it whatsoever though no, I dont actually approve of whaling itself. Still, its part of history. You can in fact have it both ways in some cases, and this was one that should have been left alone. Some of this PC stuff can just go to far. Even the Chicago Black Hawks have at various time taken flak for their use of a Native American's image on their jersey, crossed tomahawk shoulder patches.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... yep. Though I'm thinkin more "state wide". I love that place, so entirely subjective. Tootin the horn a bit more than is perhaps entirely objective.
Yep, lots of beautiful places in Connecticut.

But Hartford isn't one of them.

Putting a new building outside of Hartford would be a good idea, but no one seems interested.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:37 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.75 Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post

A bit on the conception of the Whalers logo

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/tag/hartford-whalers
I don't recall the harpoon, but the whale tail wth the "H" and "W" is one of the all-time cool team logos.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:24 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
I don't recall the harpoon, but the whale tail wth the "H" and "W" is one of the all-time cool team logos.
It was a pretty cool logo but for the times it probably wasn't right. Whales were being hunted to extinction, and there were some species that were almost hunted to death in the 40s - 70s. Let's be honest, they weren't using harpoons any longer they were factory whaling with guns and explosives.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
cam042686

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
It was a pretty cool logo but for the times it probably wasn't right. Whales were being hunted to extinction, and there were some species that were almost hunted to death in the 40s - 70s. Let's be honest, they weren't using harpoons any longer they were factory whaling with guns and explosives.

I am still scratching my head here. While I have never hunted whales nor do I ever plan on doing so, how is a harpoon offensive in the eyes of the NHL and yet the sight of grown men punching each other in the faces/heads is quite acceptable?

Craig Wallace

Old
03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam042686 View Post
I am still scratching my head here. While I have never hunted whales nor do I ever plan on doing so, how is a harpoon offensive in the eyes of the NHL and yet the sight of grown men punching each other in the faces/heads is quite acceptable?

Craig Wallace
Men are not facing extinction.