HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

If you were Trotz..

Old
01-30-2013, 08:35 AM
MrHenley

vCash: 500
Spaling Wilson Erat
SK Fisher Smith
Bourque Legwand Latta
Mueller Gaustad Halischuk

Weber Josi
Blum Klein
Ellis Hannan
Gill

MrHenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 08:55 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
i think the shortened season is hurting us alot. we are a team that always fares well cause we battle games 1 through 82 .. right now, we just aren't playing as a team. no pre-season hurt us alot. i simply say to you the team with the most skills are doing best right now. we are just very handicapped in the talent department. san jose, chicago, st louis, tampa bay, boston, edmonton... alot of teams with skill are doing good right now. we are alot more than a call up or winchester away.. even when hornqvist was in the lineup, we were ways away from being a contender. folks forget, even last year when we were "pretty good" .. we were nowhere near a stanley cup. best case scenario, we sneak into the playoffs.. which may be worse than not making the playoffs.. i want to draft high. i want a gamebreaking forward. even if we suck, ill still be a fan cheering at the games.

A lot of teams with a lot of skill are struggling right now as well. Philly, LA, Washington, and even the Rangers and Pens are at .500 or below right now. The window for any of those teams, and for the Preds, to emerge from their early season funk is narrowing by the day ... but nobody is a lock nor eliminated from contention yet. Every team is a short losing streak from dropping far back from their current spot or a short winning streak away from a stride towards the post season.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 12:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
A lot of teams with a lot of skill are struggling right now as well. Philly, LA, Washington, and even the Rangers and Pens are at .500 or below right now. The window for any of those teams, and for the Preds, to emerge from their early season funk is narrowing by the day ... but nobody is a lock nor eliminated from contention yet. Every team is a short losing streak from dropping far back from their current spot or a short winning streak away from a stride towards the post season.
pittsburgh, la, nyr wouldn't exactly qualify as struggling. they will be fine and everyone knows that. ill give you philadelphia... washington is no surprise. there are way more teams at the top that are winning with skill alone.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
token grinder

Quote:
pittsburgh, la, nyr wouldn't exactly qualify as struggling. they will be fine and everyone knows that. ill give you philadelphia... washington is no surprise. there are way more teams at the top that are winning with skill alone.
and i think fans of those fan bases will look us and say the same thing about us. We will get it turned around. years past has given us hope it will turn around. until it doesn't, well, i go with the flow

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:01 AM
glenngineer

So if I'm coaching this team into the future I'd want to go with my two best long term options at center and make the move now. Here's what I'd do.

Legwand-Wilson-Erat
Fisher-Smith-SK
Bourque-Spaling-Hornqvist
Yip-Gaustad-Clune

This way our centers are in place for years to come. You have two lines with some offensive pop. You have a third line that are pests and can chip in some points here and there and you have a fourth line that is a grind/energy line. That's what I would do but that's just me.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
So if I'm coaching this team into the future I'd want to go with my two best long term options at center and make the move now. Here's what I'd do.

Legwand-Wilson-Erat
Fisher-Smith-SK
Bourque-Spaling-Hornqvist
Yip-Gaustad-Clune

This way our centers are in place for years to come. You have two lines with some offensive pop. You have a third line that are pests and can chip in some points here and there and you have a fourth line that is a grind/energy line. That's what I would do but that's just me.
Couldn't agree more

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
thecloser

Wilson/Smith/Erat
Horny/Leggy/Bourque
SK74/Spals/Fish
Clune/Goose/Hali

scratch Yip, i kinda like him but he needs to go, wouldn't get a good return obviously, put him on waivers and bring beck/budish/watson up

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Wilson-Smith-Erat
Hornqvist-Boychuk-Bourque
Legwand-Fisher-Butler
SK-Gaustad-Spaling
Hali/Clune

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Wilson-Smith-Erat
Hornqvist-Boychuk-Bourque
Legwand-Fisher-Butler
SK-Gaustad-Spaling
Hali/Clune
not that it will happen but I think SK should be scratched a few games and Clune stay in. Yes he gets penalties, but he plays with more drive and will than almost anyone else. I think right now only Bourque and maybe Josi have more drive than Clune

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

what pisses me off the most is how trotz plays leggy on the PP... He has to be ****ing joking to do that. I swear I see a player buzzing out there, like bourque and smith, and they just rot on the bench when we need their spark... Trotzs judgment is ****ed and needs to change along with our line combos...

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:20 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
what pisses me off the most is how trotz plays leggy on the PP... He has to be ****ing joking to do that. I swear I see a player buzzing out there, like bourque and smith, and they just rot on the bench when we need their spark... Trotzs judgment is ****ed and needs to change along with our line combos...
he is on the PP because he can skate the puck into the zone. Not many on this team can. Erat can. no one else on this team has shown they can consistantly sate it in the zone without turning the puck over a mjority of the time. This little part of our game is where we miss 20 the most.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
he is on the PP because he can skate the puck into the zone. Not many on this team can. Erat can. no one else on this team has shown they can consistantly sate it in the zone without turning the puck over a mjority of the time. This little part of our game is where we miss 20 the most.
this post just highlights how ****ing pathetic our whole team is when it comes to offense and puck possession

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Smith can do everything offensively Leggy can. Mostly better though. Smith can dangle into the zone and make great entry passes. Leggy tried to bring the puck in last night, on the PP no less, and it instantly got stolen. He isnt worth the PP minutes. He shouldnt be on the PP.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:08 PM
glenngineer

Complaining about Legwand being on the PP is laughable. Watch Fisher and his lack of puck control and tell me he should be out there ahead of Legwand. Fisher and Hornqvist on a PP together? Talk about a train wreck. Two guys that handle the puck like a grenade.

Wilson with Legwand and Erat on the wings.
Smith with Fisher and SK on the wings.
Spaling with Hornqvist and Bourque on the wings.
4th line I don't really care who's out there.

Those three lines should be able to get it done in some fashion or another. The third line worked great in the playoffs yet we haven't seen it this year at all. Go figure. Go with something that doesn't work as opposed to something that does.

Find a line that works and stick with it. Great teams are great because they build up chemistry with their players. We shuffle to dang much guys never get comfortable with one another. It shouldn't matter but it does. Why do you think Weber and Suter were so good as a pairing, because they played together for years. That's how it works. Find combos that work and stick with them. Is it that hard?

Is it that hard to find combos that work on the PP too? It's laughable.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Complaining about Legwand being on the PP is laughable. Watch Fisher and his lack of puck control and tell me he should be out there ahead of Legwand. Fisher and Hornqvist on a PP together? Talk about a train wreck. Two guys that handle the puck like a grenade.

Those three lines should be able to get it done in some fashion or another. The third line worked great in the playoffs yet we haven't seen it this year at all. Go figure. Go with something that doesn't work as opposed to something that does.

Find a line that works and stick with it. Great teams are great because they build up chemistry with their players. We shuffle to dang much guys never get comfortable with one another. It shouldn't matter but it does. Why do you think Weber and Suter were so good as a pairing, because they played together for years. That's how it works. Find combos that work and stick with them. Is it that hard?

But this is exactly what Trotz has done for most of this year. He was hellbent on using the lines that worked last year and it took a lot of bad play for him to finally change it. And now that he's changing it up, nothing seems to be working. I do agree that he needs to try some more drastic changes.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:13 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:

I never advocated for Fisher to replace him. I, in fact, suggested Smith. And Legwand on the PP is 100% laughable he is a joke out there. Im all ears as to why he isnt.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
I never advocated for Fisher to replace him. I, in fact, suggested Smith. And Legwand on the PP is 100% laughable he is a joke out there. Im all ears as to why he isnt.
Because the centers on this team are Legwand, Fisher, Spaling and Gaustad...

Gaustad is never touching the PP. Fisher and Legwand have been equally embarrassing this season. That leaves Spaling to skate two minutes of PP time if that's what you're into.

I do think a unit of Wilson-Smith-Erat could actually do some good on the PP, but they can't play the entire time and you still need Fisher or Legwand to center the second unit. Out of the two, Legwand's line has at least created some chances at times this season.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:31 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Because the centers on this team are Legwand, Fisher, Spaling and Gaustad...

Gaustad is never touching the PP. Fisher and Legwand have been equally embarrassing this season. That leaves Spaling to skate two minutes of PP time if that's what you're into.

I do think a unit of Wilson-Smith-Erat could actually do some good on the PP, but they can't play the entire time and you still need Fisher or Legwand to center the second unit. Out of the two, Legwand's line has at least created some chances at times this season.
Smith plays center and Goose has played on our PP numerous times already (not that I am for that but its fact). I would actually put Spals out there before Legwand right now. Our PP sucks and so do our options.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Legionnaire11

Spaling and Gaustad are also on the PK. Are we going to win any games with those two playing 17-20 minutes a night?

1-4 the Preds have the worst group of centers in the league. Had Trotz just bit the bullet and stuck with developing Wilson and Smith at center, there's a good chance that we would have never needed to acquire Fisher and/or Gaustad in the first place and the centers would be...

1. Wilson
2. Smith
3. Legwand
4. Spaling

Then the Fisher and Gaustad money could be spent on the wings. Hindsight though, who would have predicted that none of the Preds forwards would prepare themselves to come back from the lockout? Fisher and Legwand are scoring at about half of their historic rates, double their production from right now would add another 5 goals to the total which, in the right games would make a HUGE difference in the standings even if not in the overall goal total for the team.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:24 PM
thecloser

Bourque/Wilson/Erat
Smith/Leggy/Butler
Boychuk/Fish/Horny
Spaling/Goose/Clune

scratch SK, all he does is pass so we would miss much anyways. or put him on the 4 line and scratch clune, but he deserves to be playing.

Weber/Josi
Klein/Ellis
Blum/Bartley
Hannan and Gill can go **** themselves, not a fan of either.

good God something must be done, I'm tired of watching this heartless, push over of a team right now.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:22 AM
token grinder

Quote:
this post just highlights how ****ing pathetic our whole team is when it comes to offense and puck possession
I didn't post it to make it seem like we are all world at it. Legwand is the smartest kid on the short bus when it comes to skating the puck into the zone on the PP

Old
03-06-2013, 10:23 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Smith can do everything offensively Leggy can. Mostly better though. Smith can dangle into the zone and make great entry passes. Leggy tried to bring the puck in last night, on the PP no less, and it instantly got stolen. He isnt worth the PP minutes. He shouldnt be on the PP.
Let me know how many successful "dangles" smith has coming into the zone and how many lost "dangles" he has. I would not mistake looking busy as looking productive.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:27 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm going to agree with token here, Legwand probably moves the puck through the neutral zone as well as anyone on our team. It's just his play once in the zone that I find lacking.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Preds33

From Ryan Porth on Twitter

Quote:
A power play unit of 33-12-19 (Butler) and 74-6 getting some work in at end of practice.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
PFL615

Erat-Wilson-Horny
Borque-Fisher-Smith
Boychuck-Legwand-Butler
Halischuck-Spaling-Clune/SK

Josi/Weber
Hannan/Klein
Ellis/Blum/Bartley