HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings interested in Briere

Old
07-23-2006, 03:00 PM
RightKinger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
It's not a bad deal in terms of value at all.

However, I will say that, with the Kings' top-six situation, they really need to attempt to swing a trade without giving up anyone too vital to their offense.

And if they were to give up someone like Frolov, I'd prefer it was for a more significant upgrade than Briere.
I agree. Someone like...
Scott Gomez
http://www.nhl.com/video/app?compone...service=direct
http://www.nhl.com/video/app?service...d=8467351&pg=2
http://www.nhl.com/video/app?service...d=8467351&pg=3
http://www.nhl.com/video/app?service...s&pid=8467351&
http://www.nhl.com/video/app?service...d=8467351&pg=5

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:32 PM
riseandfall9

A friend I talk to who is a huge fan of Buffalo said they would want a Defensemen. A Top defensemen veteran and Frolov and maybe 1 of Brown or Cammy for Briere , Dupont and Biron D:

Last edited by riseandfall9: 07-23-2006 at 03:39 PM.
riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
A friend I talk to who is a huge fan of Buffalo said they would want a Defensemen. A Top defensemen veteran and Frolov and maybe 1 of Brown and Cammy for Briere , Dupont and Biron D:
That's nonsense. Frolov AND Brown/Cammy AND a defenceman? In case you didn't notice, we have Garon and Cloutier. Biron isn't even a possibility at this point.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:38 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
That's nonsense. Frolov AND Brown/Cammy AND a defenceman? In case you didn't notice, we have Garon and Cloutier. Biron isn't even a possibility at this point.
? Read correctly. I said 1 of either Brown OR Cammy not both....And I was showing to basically say they need a Veteran D because they have only Teppo. Not saying its going to happen....

Old
07-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
A friend I talk to who is a huge fan of Buffalo said they would want a Defensemen. A Top defensemen veteran and Frolov and maybe 1 of Brown or Cammy for Briere , Dupont and Biron D:
No thanks. Why help them out of their predicament? If they want help we'll give them serviceable, cheap replacements. Not our future. Anything more is stupid.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I would love to Briere here in LA. The new NHL fits his style perfectly and he was having a great year until he got hurt. Then he came and played very well during their playoff run. His contract is expensive at 5 milion but it's only for one year. If, we can trade Sopel or Miller in this deal then there goes half that salary right there.

Frolov-Briere-Cammalleri
Brown-Conroy-O'sullivan

With Kopitar waiting to jump in.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:43 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
I would love to Briere here in LA. The new NHL fits his style perfectly and he was having a great year until he got hurt. Then he came and played very well during their playoff run. His contract is expensive at 5 milion but it's only for one year. If, we can trade Sopel or Miller in this deal then there goes half that salary right there.

Frolov-Briere-Cammalleri
Brown-Conroy-O'sullivan

With Kopitar waiting to jump in.
...sign and trade; 4 year deal.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:50 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
none of you have stated the obvious...

Cammalleri (and something) to Buffalo for Briere makes COMPLETE sense (from LA's standpoint.)

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post

Cammalleri (and something) to Buffalo for Briere makes COMPLETE sense (from LA's standpoint.)
I've been saying it the whole time!

Old
07-23-2006, 03:56 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post

I believe Reaper brought it up very early in the thread...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:13 PM
kingsfan25

That would be close to a lateral movement, IMO.

Old
07-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
That would be close to a lateral movement, IMO.
Just like trading Frolov for Briere would be.

Old
07-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Osprey

Everyone is forgetting that Briere is a UFA after next season. The Kings aren't going to give up a quality asset like Cammalleri for one year of Briere. There would have to be a long-term deal, but there isn't a lot of time to find a trading partner and negotiate the players to exchange. I think that there's a much greater chance that Buffalo will accept the 1-year deal and then trade for a package equal in value to 1 year of Briere (+ a conditional pick for re-signing).

Besides, why would Buffalo want players like Cammalleri or Frolov when they have 7 or 8 more arbitrations to account for in the budget? I would lean towards believing the rumor that they want prospects. It's really the only thing that makes sense.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-23-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:30 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

If its a deal along the lines of Sopel/Miller +prospect/draft picks, then im all for it, as I love to see Briere in LA. But giving up Cammalleri or Frolov for a guy that makes $5 mill a year just makes no sense, and in no way shape or form makes the LA Kings a better hockey team, which last time i checked was the whole point of making a trade.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Everyone is forgetting that Briere is a UFA after next season. The Kings aren't going to give up a quality asset like Cammalleri for one year of Briere. There would have to be a long-term deal, but 2 days is very little time to find a trading partner and negotiate the players to exchange. I think that there's a much greater chance that Buffalo will accept the 1-year deal and then trade for a package equal in value to 1 year of Briere (+ a conditional pick for re-signing).

Besides, why would Buffalo want players like Cammalleri or Frolov when they have 7 or 8 more arbitrations to account for in the budget? I would lean towards believing the rumor that they want prospects. It's really the only thing that makes sense.
I believe that if you look at the CBA closely, you'll find that because Buffalo has other arbitration cases pending, they get to take until 48-hrs after the decision of their last case...They've got time...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
? Read correctly. I said 1 of either Brown OR Cammy not both....And I was showing to basically say they need a Veteran D because they have only Teppo. Not saying its going to happen....
Yeah I did read correctly. The "/" means "or".

Remember that DL apparently didn't want to give up Brown and/or Frolov in a deal for Luongo.

To think that he would do it for Briere? Heeeeelllll no.

I know you were just throwing it out there and not saying it was going to happen. But hey, its up for discussion, right.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:47 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Just like trading Frolov for Briere would be.
I agree ( well, Briere, I think would bring more offense than Fro).

Getting rid of anyone in the team's top six right now in exchange for Briere won't really be helping the team all that much.

Old
07-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
I believe that if you look at the CBA closely, you'll find that because Buffalo has other arbitration cases pending, they get to take until 48-hrs after the decision of their last case...They've got time...
Good catch. Looking at the CBA, it appears that you're right. So much for trusting TSN to get it right.

Old
07-23-2006, 05:02 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Everyone is forgetting that Briere is a UFA after next season. The Kings aren't going to give up a quality asset like Cammalleri for one year of Briere. There would have to be a long-term deal, but 2 days is very little time to find a trading partner and negotiate the players to exchange. I think that there's a much greater chance that Buffalo will accept the 1-year deal and then trade for a package equal in value to 1 year of Briere (+ a conditional pick for re-signing).

So Buffalo does still have the option of a long-term deal?

Old
07-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Osprey

Quote:
So Buffalo does still have the option of a long-term deal?
I believe that I was under the assumption that both sides could choose to make a multi-year deal out of the arbitrator's award, but, in looking at the CBA, I don't see anything regarding such a thing. It might be possible to get around that, though, in one of two ways: 1) by the player agreeing to a contract extension with the team that trades for him, or 2) the team walking away from the decision in order to turn right around and sign him to a long-term deal that a trading partner has already agreed to accept. Anyways, though, my real point still stands that, as with Luongo, Lombardi isn't likely to give up good, young, roster players without some kind of assurance of a long-term deal for the player being received.

EDIT: The Fourth Period is saying "TSN claims the two sides are working on a 5-year, $25 million deal that would then see Briere dealt immediately." There's no mention of that in the TSN article, so maybe McKenzie or someone said it on TV.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-23-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old
07-23-2006, 05:22 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The Kings don't need anymore 60 point guys under 6 feet tall. Briere and Conroy are both #2 centers being mis-used as #1 centers. Pass.

You must not have looked at his Games played column...he had a 1.2 PPG average last season and scored 19 points in the playoffs in 18 games (Including 2 OT GWG)

Calling Briere a #2 center or comparing him to Craig Conroy is a joke....and no we don't want Aaron Miller, if we wanted brittle, over-paid and over the hill defenseman we would sign Brian Leetch.

TVanek26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
I believe that I was under the assumption that both sides could choose to make a multi-year deal out of the arbitrator's award, but, in looking at the CBA, I don't see anything regarding such a thing. It might be possible to get around that, though, in one of two ways: 1) by the player agreeing to a contract extension with the team that trades for him, or 2) the team walking away from the decision in order to turn right around and sign him to a long-term deal that a trading partner has already agreed to accept. Anyways, though, my real point still stands that, as with Luongo, Lombardi isn't likely to give up good, young, roster players without some kind of assurance of a long-term deal for the player being received.
Well option one would not work....because when a player signs a 1 year deal .....as the arbitration award would be......The team is not allowed to negotiate a contract extension until after January 1st.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 05:29 PM
riseandfall9

Once again..........Dean Lombardi will only trade for Briere if he had a 4 year deal. So lets not bring up the OMG HES AN UFA next summer stuff. Because he didnt take a chance on Luongo and hes not gonna take a chance on Briere.

Old
07-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I like him but here's the deal. Our top 6 is pretty small and soft as it is. Can you imagine having 2 guys who are 5'10, 178 in Briere - 5'9, 180 pounds in Cammalleri? Frolov is the only big body willing to go into the corners in our top 6.

Any deal where we'd trade Frolov for Briere is rediculous. Trading Frolov for Briere just makes NO sense. Frolov is younger, and far cheaper. Hmm, 2.9 for 4 more years, or a guy who want's 5 for a mulit year deal?

Some people want to deal Brown for Briere. Another big body for a small guy. I'd only deal Brown for Briere if Briere is locked up long term. To me it'd just make more sense to deal Cammalleri for Briere since they are very similar players.

My proposal:

Cammalleri (semi local- he's from the Toronto area), Miller (a Buffalo native), and Belanger(would allow Buffalo to walk away from another arbitration case if necesary) for Briere and a mid round pick.
I do understand your points, but Cammalleri+Miller+Belanger for Briere+pick is way to much in my opinion.

And don't forget that Cammalleri scored 56 pts playing with a bunch of stone hands last season, not with Demitra...

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Osprey

Just to follow up on DanielBriere48's post, if you project Briere's 58pts in 48gms last season to 82gms, you end up with 99pts. That's why he was awarded $5M. Of course, you can argue that that doesn't mean anything if he's injured, but, if you look at his history, he stayed extremely healthy until last year (78, 82 and 82gms played the previous 3 seasons). So, I would not call him injury-prone. He had that abdominal injury last year, but that was the only major injury, and, upon returning from that, he picked up the scoring right where he had left off. I admit that it's hard to think of Briere as a #1 center, but what do you call a 99pt scorer? I wouldn't call that a #2 center.