HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

you know you're from montreal when

Old
07-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Fenris

vCash: 500
Now I detest, hate, loathe poutine, but I believe the "poutine au foie gras" of the "Pied de cochon" needs to be mentioned. For the junk food snob.

Fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 10:11 PM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
You agree that Montreal drivers are crazy, but you're secretly proud of their nerves of steel.
I don't agree with this one. I was in Montréal only for a week-end, but that included parking right next to the Bell Centre and living the area just after the game.

And from my small experience, I can tell you that Montréal drivers are way more calm and cool than most French drivers (including me of course), especially those from Paris, Lyon or Marseille.

And I'm not talking about southern Italy.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 10:16 PM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
Now I detest, hate, loathe poutine, but I believe the "poutine au foie gras" of the "Pied de cochon" needs to be mentioned. For the junk food snob.
My alter ego loathes you for stealing her IRC nick

tml_4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
Go to La Banquise on Rachel St. near the parc Lafontaine they've got something like 25 different poutine
probably one of the only restaurants overwhelmed with people at 3 in the morning but not at 5 pm

gotta love la banquise

Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:01 AM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHab73 View Post
Foreigner asks: you guys always mention poutine, i just check the that receipe from google and i must admit, that looks tasteful? Is it really that good what is look like?
You know that youre from Montreal instead of Quebec when:

Montrealer say: Je vais prendre LE BUS (pronounce like le Boss)
Quebec citizen say: Je vrai prendre LA BUSE

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 12:30 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezNc View Post
You know that youre from Montreal instead of Quebec when:

Montrealer say: Je vais prendre LE BUS (pronounce like le Boss)
Quebec citizen say: Je vrai prendre LA BUSE
Peauteau or pot-teau?

Bal-inde or Balène?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Montrealer

La Banquise for the win.... nothing like showing up Saturday night at 4AM and mingle with the eclectic crowd while waiting for your order.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Chalk up another vote for La Banquise.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 05:06 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
You know you're from Montreal when you eat poutine once a week.
I have not eaten poutine in about 20 years, nor do I miss it. I think that this is why Montreal has kicked me out.

As a French Canadian, it bugs me that this is this dish for which we are known above all. Not much of a culinary tradition, when in fact there are some traditional Quebec dishes worth promoting. There are not many in relation to France (until lately, in large part due to a recent rapprochement with the French), because Quebec settlers had relatively few ingredients in relation to France, and also largely missed on an evolution in cooking in France, namely when Auguste Escoffier influenced cooking there in the 19th century. But still, there is more out there (cipaille, tourtiere du Lac St-Jean, various forms of game: deer, etc.). Sorry for sounding elitist, but this stuff trumps poutine for me.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 06:41 AM
RedArmyMontreal*

Is there anybody that actually live closes from Ste-Martine and ever ate a poutine "Chez Greg" (Grégoire)... it's a must!

Seriously if anyone drives by, you need to stop at that restaurant... you won't regret it.

RedArmyMontreal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:22 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Peauteau or pot-teau?

Bal-inde or Balène?
On this one we're wrong with our "Bal-inde", but you guys are wrong with "potto". I'll try to say "baleine" as it's supposed to be said from now on (I was in Tadoussac 2 days ago btw), but there's only one "t" in "poteau". So the next time I hear someone say "potto", I might go in a killing frenzy.

Similarly, someone should tell people from southern France it's wrong to pronouce the "e" at the end of a word. Like saying "pommeuh" instead of "pomme". Same with the "g" the add at the end of words ending with the "in" sound (chemign instead of chemin)...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:34 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
I have not eaten poutine in about 20 years, nor do I miss it. I think that this is why Montreal has kicked me out.

As a French Canadian, it bugs me that this is this dish for which we are known above all. Not much of a culinary tradition, when in fact there are some traditional Quebec dishes worth promoting. There are not many in relation to France (until lately, in large part due to a recent rapprochement with the French), because Quebec settlers had relatively few ingredients in relation to France, and also largely missed on an evolution in cooking in France, namely when Auguste Escoffier influenced cooking there in the 19th century. But still, there is more out there (cipaille, tourtiere du Lac St-Jean, various forms of game: deer, etc.). Sorry for sounding elitist, but this stuff trumps poutine for me.
Agreeing on this one, and I would add that Québec is developping it's own "haute cuisine" which in the past was greatly influenced by France, but has now developped it's own identity. And I'm certainly not an elitist (I also like a good poutine), but poutine is to food what "Québec Érotique" is to litterature (I like boobs too).

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
So you'd go to London and never get fish and chips, Paris and never have a Brie baguette and New-York and not eat their world famed pizza slices ? Every culture has their bottom of the pyramid culinary arts. And guess what, we do too. We wouldn't have a culture if we didn't. Snobbing the poutine because there's more to it in Quebec's culinary culture is just that, snobism.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
how can you have 25 different poutine?

regular poutine, italian poutine, poutine with chicken, ??????

That's like asking "There's more than just the missionary position?"

You gotta expand the mind and use your imagination.....

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 11:22 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
On this one we're wrong with our "Bal-inde", but you guys are wrong with "potto". I'll try to say "baleine" as it's supposed to be said from now on (I was in Tadoussac 2 days ago btw), but there's only one "t" in "poteau". So the next time I hear someone say "potto", I might go in a killing frenzy.

Similarly, someone should tell people from southern France it's wrong to pronouce the "e" at the end of a word. Like saying "pommeuh" instead of "pomme". Same with the "g" the add at the end of words ending with the "in" sound (chemign instead of chemin)...
Bah theres no one wrong, its just funny. Language is meant for communication, if users understand each other its all fine.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 01:05 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
http://montrealpoutine.com/reviews.html

La Banquise 994 Rachel Est

This 24-hr hipster place has been a constant favorite of the reviewer, and for good reason. The number of poutines has grown in time, presently serving 22, including such great names as "T-Rex", "Kamikaze", and B.O.M (Bacon, onions and "merguez", sausages). I've had the small poutine Duotone ($5.00), which had ground beef and sauteed onions. During a more recent visit, the Bacon poutine ($8.00 for a large); recognizing that bacon, like foie gras, makes nearly anything better, this is nonetheless a relatively rare poutine add-in which should be a standard in every poutine loving kitchen. The smoky bacon added musky pork heft to what is already a very pleasant platter, and I highly recommend it. La Banquise is now the best, premier all-around poutine joint in Montreal. They offer the greatest variety, with the most imagination, 24 hours and seven days a week. It is a must-stop for anyone eating poutine in Quebec.
NICE. I live like in front of the Lafontaine park ! I'll make sure to pay a visit to that poutine place... mmm ...

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
I don't agree with this one. I was in Montréal only for a week-end, but that included parking right next to the Bell Centre and living the area just after the game.

And from my small experience, I can tell you that Montréal drivers are way more calm and cool than most French drivers (including me of course), especially those from Paris, Lyon or Marseille.

And I'm not talking about southern Italy.
That's because North Americans as a whole drive like slugs when compared to France or Northern Italy(especially the latter). I find driving in France has improved tremendously over the past 10 years: you don't get passed on the service lane on highways, no one honks when the light has turned a millisecond ago...

As for who wants to know why Trudeau isn't much liked around here, we could always agree to spark a thread on the politics board... We could by the same token discuss the other politically loaded jokes in the original post...

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php...prune=-1&f=160

for those who can't find it anymore, it still exists but has no link, my paranoid explanation is that it was noticeably anti neo-con and that HFBoards received too many complaints/pressure to close it.

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
That's because North Americans as a whole drive like slugs when compared to France or Northern Italy(especially the latter). I find driving in France has improved tremendously over the past 10 years: you don't get passed on the service lane on highways, no one honks when the light has turned a millisecond ago...

As for who wants to know why Trudeau isn't much liked around here, we could always agree to spark a thread on the politics board... We could by the same token discuss the other politically loaded jokes in the original post...

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php...prune=-1&f=160

for those who can't find it anymore, it still exists but has no link, my paranoid explanation is that it was noticeably anti neo-con and that HFBoards received too many complaints/pressure to close it.
That's not a thread link. Thread links have t=xxxxxx. Your link is directly to the front page of the Political Forum.

Old
07-23-2006, 02:33 PM
Ismellofhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
That's not a thread link. Thread links have t=xxxxxx. Your link is directly to the front page of the Political Forum.
And your point is?

Ismellofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismellofhockey View Post
And your point is?
Sorry, when I first read the post I thought you were trying to link to the post that disappeared.

Old
07-23-2006, 04:06 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
So you'd go to London and never get fish and chips, Paris and never have a Brie baguette and New-York and not eat their world famed pizza slices ? Every culture has their bottom of the pyramid culinary arts. And guess what, we do too. We wouldn't have a culture if we didn't. Snobbing the poutine because there's more to it in Quebec's culinary culture is just that, snobism.
Actually, I enjoy those dishes, but not poutine, so the accusation rings hollow. Moreover, the other Quebec dishes that I like are also humble dishes. Evoking Escoffier does not change any of that.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

You know you`re from Montreal when you meet somebody called "Mark Jodoin" or "Julie Cartier" and they can`t speak french!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:14 PM
Shatmat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
You must be a Montrealer if...
You make a trade proposal for each french speaking Quebecers in the league! (by the way I'm french speaking)

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:30 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveash View Post
You make a trade proposal for each french speaking Quebecers in the league! (by the way I'm french speaking)
haha with a name like dave ash, a famous character from les bleu poudres I knew right away that you're french; les gants elegants and faut que je trouve une femme pour me marier are classic in quebec humour....

what I wanted to add to this topic is that I am working in a 5 stars hotel 4 diamonds called Hovey manor in North Hatley and that one night as Chef's wimsey (or surprise of the chef before the apetizer we had a derivate of the poutine which consisted of gravy sauce in jelly, cheeze and a french fries foam in a shooter glass served at room temperature, all the customers liked it, especially americans and it was quite good having the chance to try it... didn't taste exactly like poutine but still I recognized a similar taste...

which makes me say that there are way more then 25 kinds of poutine, I'd say over 1000 since you can change the way ingredients are in the mix, adding what you want etc...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 04:32 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You know you`re from Montreal when you meet somebody called "Mark Jodoin" or "Julie Cartier" and they can`t speak french!
I like this one, is Patrick Marleau from MTL lol

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote