HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

That which must not be spoken: Stastny's future

Old
02-02-2013, 09:19 AM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
So Statstny fans - when you surround him with this incredible (and most likely expensive) talent on both wings, do you pay him $6M then? Just curious.
For me, a $6M+ centerman should actually make his wingers better. Not be depending on better players around him to actually produce.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Yeah, it's not like Paul put McGinn in great chances every game just to watch him blow them all away.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:06 AM
danmcn12
Radioactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
For me, a $6M+ centerman should actually make his wingers better. Not be depending on better players around him to actually produce.
Stazz does, but making Jones better still isn't going to make you a 80+ point scorer... He isn't Malkin or Crosby.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
So Statstny fans - when you surround him with this incredible (and most likely expensive) talent on both wings, do you pay him $6M then? Just curious.
All depends on the statistics that he will be able to produce with these quality players. If he's a PPG player he should be rewarded in this fashion. If not , then you either cut his salary drasticly or both side parts away each on their own side .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Where's the effort? Last game Jones was trying, but then Stastny disappeared. I don't think Jones-Stastny is working as a line anymore.

Stastny needs to go. Like I said earlier, I would rather trade Stastny and the money we free up from Stastny we would spent on O'Reilly. I would be more than fine with that.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:17 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Where's the effort? Last game Jones was trying, but then Stastny disappeared. I don't think Jones-Stastny is working as a line anymore.

Stastny needs to go. Like I said earlier, I would rather trade Stastny and the money we free up from Stastny we would spent on O'Reilly. I would be more than fine with that.
RFA contract inflation with the other RFA's on the Avs wouldn't be a concern for you?
They would then point out that a "1 season 55-point player" gets 4.8mil/6y (hypothetical), so Lando's agent demands that Lando who would maybe be a "3 season 55 point player" should get 7mil/6y. And Lando's agent would be correct.

Then we would want to crucify Sherman for signing O'Reilly.
He is between a rock and a hard place, and I find it strange that so few posters/fans can see this. No matter what he does will cause consequences that are mostly bad.

And yes, I believe Staz needs to go as well.
We basically need to start the rebuild all over or then hope that Sgarby develops into a 2nd line center for next year.

Having Duchene-Sgarby-Mitchell-Olver as the center foursome isn't horrible, but not playoff caliber either.
Let's see what happens.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:23 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzap View Post
RFA contract inflation with the other RFA's on the Avs wouldn't be a concern for you?
They would then point out that a "1 season 55-point player" gets 4.8mil/6y (hypothetical), so Lando's agent demands that Lando who would maybe be a "3 season 55 point player" should get 7mil/6y. And Lando's agent would be correct.

Then we would want to crucify Sherman for signing O'Reilly.
He is between a rock and a hard place, and I find it strange that so few posters/fans can see this. No matter what he does will cause consequences that are mostly bad.

And yes, I believe Staz needs to go as well.
We basically need to start the rebuild all over or then hope that Sgarby develops into a 2nd line center for next year.

Having Duchene-Sgarby-Mitchell-Olver as the center foursome isn't horrible, but not playoff caliber either.
Let's see what happens.
Good point for sure. I believe giving ROR 5 million for 5 years is too much. One good year. I mean he can't that greedy?! 5 million? We should be able to get him signed for less that that long-term.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Good point for sure. I believe giving ROR 5 million for 5 years is too much. One good year. I mean he can't that greedy?! 5 million? We should be able to get him signed for less that that long-term.
Should, yes....but can? Nope.

O'Reilly seems to believe he is worth a big dollar long term contract....thus why he is still sitting out.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Should, yes....but can? Nope.

O'Reilly seems to believe he is worth a big dollar long term contract....thus why he is still sitting out.
And the funny thing is that he will probably be worth it in a few years.

Staz got lucky when Kopitar signed before him that very big deal which was almost a perfect comparable.

But about Staz, I wouldn't be opposed to trade him despite O'Reilly being traded, but the deal involving Staz should then only be done for an overpayment (i.e. top-4 D + 3rd line C would be one). Maybe the Avs can throw in a pick or a lower level prospect (Carey, Blandisi, Nermark). Do I believe he should go? Yes I do, unless he manages to improve his play and stop looking so uninterested out there.
I just wish Lando would be back so that we could see how he works out with Staz. But knowing Sacco Lando will probably play on Mitchell's wing and Koby/Palushaj will play with Staz and Jones.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I'd rather have ROR at $6M than Stastny. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to go the other way. This one could be devastating.

So much for building down the middle. Gonna have to ship out some dudes to re-acquire a C.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:

That is exactly what the Avs should do. A team like the Leafs would probably throw you something like Gardiner and Bozak for Stastny and a 2nd. Good value, gives you a top notch #3 centerman, you get to sign ROR and gives you a top for defenseman without increasing payroll. For someone who does nothing to help your team at all.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think Avs should put Landeskog on Stastny's line. Stastny may not look amazing all the time but look his linemates the last three years. Even strength only.

2010-2011
Jones: 56%
Stewart: 39%
Galiardi: 27%
Porter: 25%
Hejduk: 24%
Stoa: 14%
Duchene: 9%
Yip: 7%

2011-2012
Jones: 62%
Hejduk: 36%
Duchene: 33%
McGinn: 24%
Galiardi: 15%
Kobasew: 11%
Winnik: 10%
Mueller: 10%

Jones: 83%
McGinn: 30%
Palushaj: 29%
Mitchell: 23%
Hejduk: 21%
Olver: 8%
Parenteau: 3%
Kobasew: 2%

He really hasn't had a lot to work with since Stewart left and giving him a constant high quality winger that consistently is able to drive to the net might help Stastny to put up points and want to stick around. Jones is a decent shooter when he gets time and space and can pick a corner, but Stastny needs someone who drives the net and can tap the puck in more. Hejduk isn't what he used to be. McGinn is a solid second liner. Duchene was slumping when tried with Statsny. The rest is basically third liners with bad hands. It does nothing for a pure playmaker.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:36 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think Avs should put Landeskog on Stastny's line. Stastny may not look amazing all the time but look his linemates the last three years. Even strength only.

2010-2011
Jones: 56%
Stewart: 39%
Galiardi: 27%
Porter: 25%
Hejduk: 24%
Stoa: 14%
Duchene: 9%
Yip: 7%

2011-2012
Jones: 62%
Hejduk: 36%
Duchene: 33%
McGinn: 24%
Galiardi: 15%
Kobasew: 11%
Winnik: 10%
Mueller: 10%

Jones: 83%
McGinn: 30%
Palushaj: 29%
Mitchell: 23%
Hejduk: 21%
Olver: 8%
Parenteau: 3%
Kobasew: 2%

He really hasn't had a lot to work with since Stewart left and giving him a constant high quality winger that consistently is able to drive to the net might help Stastny to put up points and want to stick around. Jones is a decent shooter when he gets time and space and can pick a corner, but Stastny needs someone who drives the net and can tap the puck in more. Hejduk isn't what he used to be. McGinn is a solid second liner. Duchene was slumping when tried with Statsny. The rest is basically third liners with bad hands. It does nothing for a pure playmaker.
Yep. Stastny needs at least one decent winger. When Jones is on his typical hot streak he is a great player to have on Stastny's line, but when Jones is cold he is pretty much worthless. Landeskog coming back should help. Stastny will either get Landeskog or get McGinn back.

That said, in the mean time, instead of Pajamas on the left side, I think Sgarbossa should be given a shot. One of the more underrated parts of Sgarbossa's game is his shot. It is actually a very good shot when he gets a chance to use it, playing on a line where he isn't the focal point of the offense could really open up opportunities for him.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:17 PM
avalanchuck

Bump

Paul Stastny

When Stastny signed his $6.6M contract (2009-10) he'd scored 185 pts in 193 games (0.96 PPG) and went on to 79 pts in 81 games in (2009-10). He's now dropped to 0.72 PPG the last 2 seasons (110 pts in 153 games) & folks are calling him invisible/ghost etc.

Ryan O'Reilly

Has now signed an OS and the Avs have matched that will pay him $6.5M next season. He averaged 0.36 PPG his first 2 seasons in the league (56 pts in 155 games) and improved last season to 0.68 PPG (55 pts in 81 games) for an overall average 0.45 PPG over his first 3 seasons in the league.

IMO if Staz is getting so much crap for dropping down from near 1 PPG to 0.72 PPG. ROR next season has to start showing that he has the potential to get near the 1 PPG or he & Stastny should be painted with the same brush. Maybe the locker room competition can do both good the rest of this short season & both come out ready to go at the beginning of next season.

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
landesberg
p stastny

I still think Stastny was worth the contract, we just traded away his best winger that could actually finish and voila, his assist numbers are way way down. He's still scoring goals at his usual pace.

I think it's unfair to Stastny that he gets the shaft when it comes to linemates, and we all wonder why he's not producing. I don't think it's a coincidence that O'Reilly had a career year when he got Landeskog and Downie, where Stastny had a down year with Jones/Kobasew/Gali/Hedjuk.

I feel like we're going to regret getting rid of Stastny if/when we trade him.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Apparentely the TSN boys just had an insider trading were they said Paul Stastny could be moved at the trading deadline.

I didn't see it myself, can anyone confirm?

Old
03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Apparentely the TSN boys just had an insider trading were they said Paul Stastny could be moved at the trading deadline.

I didn't see it myself, can anyone confirm?
Didn't see it, but I'd hope that's the case. I thought Stastny would have a big bounce back year. I was wrong. He shouldn't be in the long-term future of this team, and with Weiss being out for the year, his value might go up. Not sure what we could get for him though.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

LeBrun just said that Stastny has been available for the right price for a long time"

Old
03-05-2013, 07:30 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
LeBrun just said that Stastny has been available for the right price for a long time"
It wouldn't necessarily surprise me if that's the case, but what remains to be seen is what is the "right price" for the Avalanche?

And in my opinion, if there were any season that it might happen, it would be this one. Think about it, a lockout-shortened season, not a lot of "quality" C's available this year, the only other one that comes to mind JUST had season-ending surgery. If the Avs have some sort of "right price" they're more likely to get that this year than any other year in my opinion.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
It wouldn't necessarily surprise me if that's the case, but what remains to be seen is what is the "right price" for the Avalanche?

And in my opinion, if there were any season that it might happen, it would be this one. Think about it, a lockout-shortened season, not a lot of "quality" C's available this year, the only other one that comes to mind JUST had season-ending surgery. If the Avs have some sort of "right price" they're more likely to get that this year than any other year in my opinion.
Can you see Stastny being traded before the deadline if the Avs are out of it?

I think they can get the same price now and at the draft.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

It's very risky trading him now with the entire O'Reilly fiasco, but who knows.
We have Sgargbossa who maybe could fill the 3C spot next season, with Mitchell then on the 4th, but then we still would be missing 1 centerman, unless Sgarbossa plays on the 2nd line which I'm not sure he is ready for.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Given what the Avs were asking for, for ROR and now apparently the idea that Stas has been available for the right price for a long time, one would have to think Shermy is once again put out quite the high value on Stas, to high for other teams.

My guess(if rumors are true) is Prospect + 1st + roster player(McGinn type) for Stas.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:05 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post

I honestly don't know if they'll trade him this year at all, let alone by the deadline.

But I think if the Avs decided to trade him, then the MOST they'll get for him would be at the deadline, when a GM of a desperate team wanting to make the PO's will pay the price (IF he were to be traded).

Old
03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
I honestly don't know if they'll trade him this year at all, let alone by the deadline.

But I think if the Avs decided to trade him, then the MOST they'll get for him would be at the deadline, when a GM of a desperate team wanting to make the PO's will pay the price (IF he were to be traded).
Islanders? They need salary to stay over the cap and have alot of contract expiring this summer. They are also quite desperate for a 2nd line center behind Tavares.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
Islanders? They need salary to stay over the cap and have alot of contract expiring this summer. They are also quite desperate for a 2nd line center behind Tavares.
Could be, but not sure if we'd be good trading partners, because their needs on Defense are similar to ours.