HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik Might Be Available

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
  #26
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,430
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Gaborik would magical with the Sedins. Gaborik's game is all positioning and getting in lanes. Richards and Gaborik aren't great together bc neither thrive by puck possession. Playing with the Sedins would allow them to set up the play and Gaborik to finish it.
I would be all over Gaborik, but regardless of how much value we give up we'd need to send at least some salary the other way to accomodate him.

Does Booth + Gaunce + 1st sound like a good offer?

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
  #27
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post


Has any team ever traded away and then traded back for their first round pick?
Toronto traded away their 2010 2nd rounder, traded to get it back and trade it away again.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:44 PM
  #28
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang
 
FlyLife's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Livin the High Life
Country: United States
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post


Has any team ever traded away and then traded back for their first round pick?
Yep. The Predators traded Ryan Parent, Scotty Upshall, their 1st and 3rd to Philly for Forsberg, then in the offseason they traded Hartnell and Timonen's rights to Philly for their 1st round pick back.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:47 PM
  #29
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I would be all over Gaborik, but regardless of how much value we give up we'd need to send at least some salary the other way to accomodate him.

Does Booth + Gaunce + 1st sound like a good offer?
No, it sounds brutal.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:51 PM
  #30
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52
 
Respect Your Edler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,221
vCash: 500
Vancouver can't really afford him. We're already looking at cutting some depth in the summer to get under the new cap. This would turn us into what Tampa Bay was coming out of the last lockout.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:54 PM
  #31
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,077
vCash: 50
Vancouver doesn't have tradeable assets in order to nab Gaborik.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:55 PM
  #32
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
If ROR hadn't been offer sheeted I would think he would be a good swap.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
  #33
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
If we can unload Booth, I think we would be all over it.
We'd have to unload Booth, Ballard and Luongo's contract to have any chance at staying under the cap. Goes against everything Gillis has done with Vancouver. Just doesn't seem very logical to me. Gaborik and Kesler on the same line would be among the most injury prone in the league.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:57 PM
  #34
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
No, it sounds brutal.
Brutal for the Canucks, I agree.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
  #35
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,430
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
No, it sounds brutal.
Well what do you think is fair value? I'd have thought that a decent roster player and the equivalent of 2 1sts would be fair.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:00 PM
  #36
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,077
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
We'd have to unload Booth, Ballard and Luongo's contract to have any chance at staying under the cap. Goes against everything Gillis has done with Vancouver. Just doesn't seem very logical to me. Gaborik and Kesler on the same line would be among the most injury prone in the league.
We should acquire Hemsky, DiPietro, Salo and Colaiacovo to have the most injury prone team in the league.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  #37
Ryan96
Registered User
 
Ryan96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 49
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
Safe to assume that it won't be an Eastern team. I'd say Vancouver.
Vancouver has no cap room for this guy. We would have to ditch Luongo and I doubt that New York would take him.

Ryan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  #38
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
The main key for anyone acquiring Gaborik is fit. Do not acquire him if you're expecting him to hold onto the puck and make plays. For him to be optimal, that is the player he must play with. Gaborik will finish off the plays no problem, but he needs a guy who can skate, stickhandle, and hold onto the puck. Richards/Stepan aren't optimal because they both have below average speed and neither player thrive off holding onto the puck. I even think a guy like Grabovski would be a better fit with Gaborik. Gaborik said explicitly when he signed in NY that he wasn't the type to hold onto the puck, but rather the type of player who is great at finding lanes.

Put him with Datsyuk or the Sedins and I bet you he'd score 50.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  #39
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,524
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Well what do you think is fair value? I'd have thought that a decent roster player and the equivalent of 2 1sts would be fair.
Again, the Rangers are trying to win a Stanley Cup. Your offer significantly destroys those chances for the Rangers. Nothing short of one of the Sedin's makes sense for the Rangers. Don't like it? I don't expect you to. But Gaborik is not for trade unless it improves our chances of a cup immediately; no matter how much irrational Rangers fans and a vague, hypothetical Elliotte Friedman anecdote might make you think otherwise.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
  #40
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
We'd have to unload Booth, Ballard and Luongo's contract to have any chance at staying under the cap. Goes against everything Gillis has done with Vancouver. Just doesn't seem very logical to me. Gaborik and Kesler on the same line would be among the most injury prone in the league.
2 things:
1. That wouldn't be the primary concern with that line. They would have no chemistry. Putting him with a player like Kesler would set him up to fail.
2. Gaborik is hardly "injury prone" anymore. He has injuries since 2010, but he has as much of a propensity to get injured as any other player. His proneness to injury came from his groin and hip problems which is why he missed so many games from 2006-2010. That got corrected in 2009 and since then those injuries have never come up again. If you take his tenure with the Rangers, he does not qualify as injury prone, he has actually been quite healthy.
In fact, his hip and groin injuries were closely related. His hip problems caused him to have groin problems. Once his hip problems were dealt with, his groin problems disappeared.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:09 PM
  #41
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,430
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Again, the Rangers are trying to win a Stanley Cup. Your offer significantly destroys those chances for the Rangers. Nothing short of one of the Sedin's makes sense for the Rangers. Don't like it? I don't expect you to. But Gaborik is not for trade unless it improves our chances of a cup immediately; no matter how much irrational Rangers fans and a vague, hypothetical Elliotte Friedman anecdote might make you think otherwise.
Well obviously my offer was going with the OP as a guideline. If I were a Rangers fan there's no way I'd advocate trading Gaborik. But who knows what might happen? Sometimes a shake-up trade is made, and Gborik might very well be the goat for this one.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:10 PM
  #42
HockeyHooligans
PetranJello 4 Norris
 
HockeyHooligans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
Something around Chris Stewart?

HockeyHooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:11 PM
  #43
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Horvat2Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
2 things:
1. That wouldn't be the primary concern with that line. They would have no chemistry. Putting him with a player like Kesler would set him up to fail.
2. Gaborik is hardly "injury prone" anymore. He has injuries since 2010, but he has as much of a propensity to get injured as any other player. His proneness to injury came from his groin and hip problems which is why he missed so many games from 2006-2010. That got corrected in 2009 and since then those injuries have never come up again. If you take his tenure with the Rangers, he does not qualify as injury prone, he has actually been quite healthy.
In fact, his hip and groin injuries were closely related. His hip problems caused him to have groin problems. Once his hip problems were dealt with, his groin problems disappeared.
Great. Too bad Gaborik doesn't fit in Vancouver's cap structure.

Horvat2Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:13 PM
  #44
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,666
vCash: 500
How does Vancouver make sense? They lack depth when they have injuries to Kesler, giving up more to get Gaborik will rob them of that even more.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:13 PM
  #45
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,137
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHooligans View Post
Something around Chris Stewart?
We cannot afford the contract he has. The Blues are a budget team with key free agents to sign. 7.5 million on a winger is a dumb move for the Blues.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:15 PM
  #46
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,056
vCash: 500
Williams, Stoll an Drewiske for Gabby and Boyle

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
  #47
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
We cannot afford the contract he has. The Blues are a budget team with key free agents to sign. 7.5 million on a winger is a dumb move for the Blues.
I also get the impression he would fit poorly on the team offensively,
Out of curiousity how would describe both the offensive style of play by each of the Blues top two lines and the top two centres?

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
  #48
Machinehead
★★★★
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 34,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
That's idiotic. First they trade away their depth for Nash (what the quote in the OP said), and not half a season later they think they need to trade another scorer (basically a better version of Nash imo) for depth? I doubt it.
If by better version of Nash you mean nothing like Nash and half as good, then you're absolutely right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Williams, Stoll an Drewiske for Gabby and Boyle

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
  #49
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,430
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
How does Vancouver make sense? They lack depth when they have injuries to Kesler, giving up more to get Gaborik will rob them of that even more.
How do we lack depth?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Sestito
Weise

Giving up one or two roster players(+ futures)to add Gaborik absolutely makes us a better team.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:20 PM
  #50
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise
 
ChrisKreider20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
That's idiotic. First they trade away their depth for Nash (what the quote in the OP said), and not half a season later they think they need to trade another scorer (basically a better version of Nash imo) for depth? I doubt it.
Very different players.

Gaborik is useless with the puck but amazing offensively away from the puck.
Nash is ok offensively away from the puck, but when he has it on his stick he is the most dangerous man on the ice.

I prefer Nash's style to be honest. Besides being more aesthetically pleasing, it also is much more draining on the opposing defensive unit.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.