HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NYT: Bargaining for Rights in Exchange for NHL in Olympics (UPD: Daly in Sochi)

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
NHL could hold their own best-on-best international tournament. They don't need the Olympics.
Yes, maybe they should call it Canada Cup or World Cup! You know, the ones I was referring to?

Old
03-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Exactly. The NHL could put on a World Cup in September. No, it will not get the same attention as the Olympics, but the league would make A LOT more money off holding their own World Cup tournament then by going to the Olympics. Plus, for hockey fans it shouldn't matter if the best National team is crowned during the Olympics or not. Do soccer fans consider the Olympics to be a bigger event than the Soccer World Cup?
Surely you're not comparing the World Cup of hockey to THE World Cup? Because we're talking about sports and tournaments with significant differences.

Old
03-05-2013, 02:53 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonFan View Post
That's not going to happen. The nhl can cry wolf all they want about the so-called sacrifices it makes for the olympics, but the IOC isn't buying any of their crap. The nhl loses effectively nothing when the olympics are held. This is all about the nhl trying to weasel in on the IOC's profits, and it's not going to work. bettman is completely and utterly outclassed here. Absolutely powerless! This is such a treat to watch!
They're shutting down their league for two-three weeks, interrupting the momentum of teams. They're also risking losing stars to injury. Not to mention, it can have a detrimental relationship between players and members of the coaching staff. In 2002, Quinn's benching of Curtis Joseph in the Olympics is believed to have played a large part in why he did not resign with the Leafs.

If the players want to play in the Olympics so much, then they should structure their contracts such that they're not signed to play in the NHL in Olympic years.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:06 PM
silvercanuck

I could honestly care less if the NHL goes to Sochi. Actually scratch that. I do not want the NHL to go to Russia. BTW the IOCs cry poor stance is pretty ridiculous.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:13 PM
joelef

no one going to watch a bunch of amatuers play.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:16 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
That's not going to happen. The nhl can cry wolf all they want about the so-called sacrifices it makes for the olympics, but the IOC isn't buying any of their crap. The nhl loses effectively nothing when the olympics are held. This is all about the nhl trying to weasel in on the IOC's profits, and it's not going to work. bettman is completely and utterly outclassed here. Absolutely powerless! This is such a treat to watch!
What does the NHL gain from participating in the Olympics?

The NHL is allowing talent that it has grown, refined and brought to international recognition to be used for the profit of another organization. Even if the cost to them is $0 (which it isn't, either in terms of real costs or potential costs due to injury/fatigue) they still have negotiating power due to the fact that the gain for the IOC is massive.

03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
scotchex

The Olympics are run by a bunch of corrupt, greedy dirtbags. Anything that hurts and limits the power of the IOC is a good thing. Just look at what they did to wrestling recently for a perfect example. Those weasels are all on the take.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:41 PM
cutchemist42

Atleast the Olympic tourney and WHC have fair and clearcut rules allowing every team a chance to qualify. All your doing with a World Cup is replacing the Olympic cash-grab with an NHL/NHLPA cashgrab that does nothing to grow the game.

You want to grow the game internationally, let the federations keep the money the World Cup produces. Baseball's World Baseball Classic represents alot of teams' budgets now that the Olympic money dried out.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchex View Post
The Olympics are run by a bunch of corrupt, greedy dirtbags. Anything that hurts and limits the power of the IOC is a good thing. Just look at what they did to wrestling recently for a perfect example. Those weasels are all on the take.
You do know that a) it has not been officially dropped yet and b)wrestling is in danger of getting dropped out purely of it own actions(corrupt as hell) or as some would say non-actions.

Last edited by Jussi: 03-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 06:11 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
This is somewhat ironic seeing how much you were in the PA's side during the lock-out.

Once again, if you thin all the money is going to IOC 's pocket's, check the link I posted.
I saw some details. It's gory. Lots of palms getting greased.

And I was not pro-PA, but anti-NHL [position/strategy]. There is a difference, subtle, but nevertheless, a difference.

Quote:
Funny you should mention it, as the olympics is indeed where I do hang my hat. The only live hockey that I attend is the olympics. It's expensive (though not much moreso than the leafs), but only once every 4 years. I'd rather give my hockey money to the IOC any day as opposed to the nhl. Being at the gold medal game in 2010 and witnessing Crosby's goal was the ultimate hockey experience, infinitely superior to any game 7 of the stanley cup final between 2 nhl club teams.
My team in the Cup finals any second, hour, day, week, month, and year over my "country" in some silly little tournament. From here to eternity.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
What does the NHL gain from participating in the Olympics?

The NHL is allowing talent that it has grown, refined and brought to international recognition to be used for the profit of another organization. Even if the cost to them is $0 (which it isn't, either in terms of real costs or potential costs due to injury/fatigue) they still have negotiating power due to the fact that the gain for the IOC is massive.

Yes, Hamiltondude, what does the NHL actually gain from this?

Old
03-05-2013, 08:04 PM
joelef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

And I was not pro-PA, but anti-NHL [position/strategy]. There is a difference, subtle, but nevertheless, a difference.

My team in the Cup finals any second, hour, day, week, month, and year over my "country" in some silly little tournament. From here to eternity.

i dont get that? why are so many fellow north americans put regional cities over national pride?

Old
03-05-2013, 08:08 PM
joelef

On a unrelated note The NFL and australian football league are the biggest sports where its players dont have an international tourney.

Old
03-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
i dont get that? why are so many fellow north americans put regional cities over national pride?

No, most Americans are very nationalistic, patriotic, etc.

I personally identify more with my team because I follow everything they do--- every roster spot, coaching decision, game by game analyses, through 82 games and then playoffs. It's like a bonding ritual. Other than sharing a country, what bonds me with a team put together every 4 yrs for two weeks?

Old
03-05-2013, 09:58 PM
HamiltonFan
bettman's a Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post

Why don't we start by asking what do they lose? I think we've established that outside of a handful of insignificant, miscellaneous things, the nhl loses next to nothing by 'keeping the lights on' for an extra 9 days in an olympic year, given that all 82 regular season games are still played.

What do they gain? More than 27 million Americans watched the 2010 final, which puts nhl stanley cup numbers to complete shame. Yes, Americans actually watch, and are exposed to the game of hockey during the olympics. Many more people watch world wide. It's called growing the game, similar to the way in which the useless franchises in phoenix, florida, tampa, nashville etc are supposed to grow the game. The big difference, of course, is that money is not lost during the olympics, unlike the tens of millions of dollars that owners of the southern nhl franchises are forced to flush down the toilet every year.

The bottom line with the olympics is that the players love it, and are more than willing to play for free. As long as this continues to be the case, they will continue to go to the olympics. If little gary keeps trying to weasel his way into the IOC's profits, then the IOC will continue to embarass the annoying little runt.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Obviously you know that I may share your disdain for our beloved commissioner, but....

I haven't seen a single metric that shows any sustained gain or momentum for the NHL from the Olympics. I do not put a lot of stake in the 'grow the game' arguments, especially after we've been growing it for oh so many years.... Are they converting more nonfans into fans due to the Olympics? Are more people watching NHL hockey because of the Olympics? Is the NHL gaining more sponsors or any form of revenue due to the Olympics? It happens once every four years. Does any blip that develops actually carry over?

I seem to recall an earlier article, posted perhaps shortly after the last Games, but iirc it didn't show much of correlation or gain for the NHL.

Last edited by Fugu: 03-06-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added 'not'
Old
03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
joelef

I wouldnt mind if the NHL brought back the world cup.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Rob

So is it fair to say that NHL participation in Sochi might be in a little bit of trouble?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Jerkini

Will Olympic Hockey in Sochi generate any where near the amount of buzz and excitement that it did in Vancouver? I certainly don't look forward to 4AM games.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Will Olympic Hockey in Sochi generate any where near the amount of buzz and excitement that it did in Vancouver? I certainly don't look forward to 4AM games.
Neither do us Europeans when the games are played in North America...

Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
StoneColdFlower*

I'm not a guy to defend the current NHL administration, but the "ex"-fascist ****stains that have run the IOC for the past few decades need to be put in their place by someone.

The Canadian government should have forced them to put all of the footage of Whistler in the Public Domain. Show these ****ing pigs who's boss.

Old
03-06-2013, 04:03 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
no one going to watch a bunch of amatuers play.
Not one amateur is going to play.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinPower420 View Post
I'm not a guy to defend the current NHL administration, but the "ex"-fascist ****stains that have run the IOC for the past few decades need to be put in their place by someone.

The Canadian government should have forced them to put all of the footage of Whistler in the Public Domain. Show these ****ing pigs who's boss.
You do know that there's been a lot of changes at the IOC leadership since Samaranch (whom many considered the main culprit for the corruption that taking place within the IOc during his reign) was replaced by Rogge?

Old
03-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
It's guaranteed to create more excitement globally than any World Cup would... But since many posters here seem to keep repeating, just like the points in Whose Line is It Anyway, the rest of of the world doesn't matter because 'Murrica.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Crease

Quote:
It's guaranteed to create more excitement globally than any World Cup would... But since many posters here seem to keep repeating, just like the points in Whose Line is It Anyway, the rest of of the world doesn't matter because 'Murrica.
You're on the Business of Hockey forum. We're a cold, callous bunch. Money makes the world go 'round.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:35 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Surely you're not comparing the World Cup of hockey to THE World Cup? Because we're talking about sports and tournaments with significant differences.
No, absolutely not. Completely different. The point is, in soccer the Olympics is not nearly as important as other international tournaments. Would be the same in hockey if the NHL decides not to go and then hold a World Cup every few years.

Closed Thread