HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Carey Price Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I hope you like nails, prepare for crucifixion.
I actually think Rask is going to be a great goalie.

I'm not sure why somebody would say that he's done more to justify faith than Price has though...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberPucky View Post
You're right context.

Price has played 288 games in the last 5 seasons. Halak has played 213. While Price has basically played the equivalent of one more full season than Halak. Regardless both have played over 200 games, which is safe to compare both goalies, since they've both played a good amount of games. Halak's average in those 213 games is .918, while Price's average in 288 games is .916. Both are very close in comparison.

Here's another good link, to compare stats, you can sort it by Save Percentage. A close comparable to Price is Hiller, their stats are almost identical.

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seaso...ies-stats.html
So, Price has played almost a full season more and yet both guys have close to the same save percentage...

Over the past four yers, Halak has averaged 45 games a season... that's barely a number one.

Hiller's also played mostly half seasons and last year had his first 70 plus game season and his Sv pctg sunk to .910. This year it seems that he may have lost his job...

Like I said, look at the context.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-03-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
But you still don't have faith in him? This is the part I don't get.
But where do I mention that I have NO faith in him. I have against people putting him already on a pedestal as I think he's not there yet. And I do believe that before elevating a guy right up there like a lot are doing, you need at least 1 great playoffs to do so. The only great playoffs we had, it was with another goalie. Since I keep saying he's a very good goalie, I don't see how having NO FAITH means thinking he's a very good goalie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I hope you like nails, prepare for crucifixion.
I'm ready as always. I prefer to have opinions than to wait for people to have opinions and then bash them. Not my type. Again, doesn't mean I think Price sucks. And like I said, I'm not saying Rask is more proven than Price obviously, as I said at the beginning of the year that Rask had everything to prove. But style wise, I prefer Rask's style. Not by a wide margin but the preference is still there. And again....doesn't mean Price sucks. Yet, that,s too hard to understand for people who have agendas against people calling out Price. So fire away. I'm ready.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I actually think Rask is going to be a great goalie.

I'm not sure why somebody would say that he's done more to justify faith than Price has though...
And again...where do I say that? Keep saying Rask has everything to prove. But style wise, I prefer Rask. See, tons of people hated Hasek's style, yet it didn't stop him from being great. So it is just a question of style here...nothing to panic about. I do believe though that his style will make him a very good goalie as well. The gap might not end up being that great. And as of now, Rask has everything to proove. I'm pretty sure that tons of people were though not expecting his start of the season. Some were already thinking he'd wouldn't be able to pick up where Thomas has left and the fact that he'd be a real #1 would be tough for him. So far, so good. But the playoffs are another story.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But where do I mention that I have NO faith in him. I have against people putting him already on a pedestal as I think he's not there yet. And I do believe that before elevating a guy right up there like a lot are doing, you need at least 1 great playoffs to do so. The only great playoffs we had, it was with another goalie. Since I keep saying he's a very good goalie, I don't see how having NO FAITH means thinking he's a very good goalie...
I guess I just don't understand what you're saying.

On the one had you seem to be saying he's a very good goalie - top five in the leauge even.

On the other you're saying that he's overhyped and that he's been elvated too much?

I don't get what you're saying... If you don't think he's the best in the league that's fine. But I'm not sure where your doubt is coming from if you think he's fourth or fifth best in the league.
Quote:
And again...where do I say that? Keep saying Rask has everything to prove. But style wise, I prefer Rask. See, tons of people hated Hasek's style, yet it didn't stop him from being great. So it is just a question of style here...nothing to panic about. I do believe though that his style will make him a very good goalie as well. The gap might not end up being that great. And as of now, Rask has everything to proove. I'm pretty sure that tons of people were though not expecting his start of the season. Some were already thinking he'd wouldn't be able to pick up where Thomas has left and the fact that he'd be a real #1 would be tough for him. So far, so good. But the playoffs are another story.
So you'd prefer Price over Rask?

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-03-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old
03-03-2013, 07:48 PM
E = CH²

wrong thread.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I guess I just don't understand what you're saying.

On the one had you seem to be saying he's a very good goalie - top five in the leauge even.

On the other you're saying that he's overhyped and that he's been elvated too much?

I don't get what you're saying... If you don't think he's the best in the league that's fine. But I'm not sure where your doubt is coming from if you think he's fourth or fifth best in the league.
Price going to be great in the future. So in replacing him, I have to take that into consideration even if some others goalies are doing better than him this year. So I believe that people are already elevating him mostly based on projections. That's all. He is still to this day, very good. Just don't believe he is great and not like most of the people are thinking he is. That's all. Nothing earth shattering really though some love to think it is.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Price going to be great in the future. So in replacing him, I have to take that into consideration even if some others goalies are doing better than him this year. So I believe that people are already elevating him mostly based on projections. That's all. He is still to this day, very good. Just don't believe he is great and not like most of the people are thinking he is. That's all. Nothing earth shattering really though some love to think it is.
I get that he's going to be great in the future... I agree with you.

I just think he's great right now. You don't?

I'm not trying to slag you man, but I just don't understand what you're trying to argue here. Is he top five in the league for you now or not? And if he is, then why are you saying that he's overhyped 'cause that's all that must of us are trying to say.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Speaking of goalies, is it just me or a lot of goalies this year are just always on their knees? We all see Price doing it, but other goalies seem to do it a lot as well.

I guess it must be working, though.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:31 PM
simplysincere*

Save Percentage of the top goalies, this season. 12 games played or more.

GP Save%

1.Craig Anderson 15 .952
2.Corey Crawford 13 .945
3.Antti Niemi 17 .934
4.Kari Lehtonen 14 .930
5.Tuukka Rask 15 .928
6.James Reimer 12 .923
7.Ben Scrivens 13 .923
8.Viktor Fasth 12 .922
9.Pekka Rinne 20 .921
10.Henrik Lundqvist 17 .918
11.Niklas Backstrom 16 .917
12.Ryan Miller 21 .917
13.Devan Dubnyk 17 .917
14.Carey Price 17 .915
15.Marc-Andre Fleury 15 .912
16.Martin Brodeur 13 .911
17.Semyon Varlamov 17 .910
18.Cam Ward 17 .908
19.Braden Holtby 14 .907
20.Jimmy Howard 19 .907
21.Ilya Bryzgalov 21 .907
22.Mike Smith 17 .902
23.Sergei Bobrovsky 13 .901
24.Evgeni Nabokov 18 .901
25.Jonathan Quick 15 .901
26.Ondrej Pavelec 19 .900
27.Jose Theodore 15 .893
28.Anders Lindback 14 .890

simplysincere* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberPucky View Post
Save Percentage of the top goalies, this season. 12 games played or more.

GP Save%

1.Craig Anderson 15 .952
2.Corey Crawford 13 .945
3.Antti Niemi 17 .934
4.Kari Lehtonen 14 .930
5.Tuukka Rask 15 .928
6.James Reimer 12 .923
7.Ben Scrivens 13 .923
8.Viktor Fasth 12 .922
9.Pekka Rinne 20 .921
10.Henrik Lundqvist 17 .918
11.Niklas Backstrom 16 .917
12.Ryan Miller 21 .917
13.Devan Dubnyk 17 .917
14.Carey Price 17 .915
15.Marc-Andre Fleury 15 .912
16.Martin Brodeur 13 .911
17.Semyon Varlamov 17 .910
18.Cam Ward 17 .908
19.Braden Holtby 14 .907
20.Jimmy Howard 19 .907
21.Ilya Bryzgalov 21 .907
22.Mike Smith 17 .902
23.Sergei Bobrovsky 13 .901
24.Evgeni Nabokov 18 .901
25.Jonathan Quick 15 .901
26.Ondrej Pavelec 19 .900
27.Jose Theodore 15 .893
28.Anders Lindback 14 .890
Yesterday he would've been 6th. That loss busted his stats reeeeel good.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:29 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Haha yeah statements like that completely forget that Price absolutely STOLE the first two games of that series. Look it up, he was incredible and we just scored on the opportunities we got. Now he was lacking in games 3 and 4 but I thought he was solid in game 5, 6 and 7. We just had a team short manned that could not pot a goal in OT to save its life. Price nearly outduelled the eventual Conn Smythe winner. Give Price a team with a defensive shell like the Blues and he could do a lot more things. We're solid but our D is undersized and held together by Therrien's coaching. Stats say Price has been great although I say he's merely been good this season. I am waiting for a statement game from him too but luckily we don't need those just to sneak into the playoffs as it is.
We lost hte series on 3 OT goals. That is what counts. We win the series if Price stands on his head for just one of those OT losses.

I should not have to explain this.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
We lost hte series on 3 OT goals. That is what counts. We win the series if Price stands on his head for just one of those OT losses.

I should not have to explain this.
we win if we score just one goal in ot.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
Folks are saying they don't have faith... they don't trust him in the playoffs... so yeah they kind of are saying he's a bum.

What goalie would you rather have going for you? I mean Lundqvist has been great, ditto with Rinne but they've never won and they've played with better teams. Again, I don't see anyone who I'd rather have leading my team now.
Come on LG I am not saying price is a bum. And there is no point bringing other goalies into this discussion. Price is our goalie, and we need to win cups with him.

The discussion in my thinking is: Can price stand on his head and steal games in the Playoffs, especially in OT? And win series? My answer, at the moment, is no. There is no evidence to say he can.

I also hope that I am wrong, and will be the first to admit it.

This is not romper room any more, you of all guys know how important our upcoming cup window is. If Price cannot perform in the PO, and I mean perform massively, we are screwed. OK will not cut it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
The lack of goalie knowledge around here is terribly funny.

No one discussing the fundamentals of the position, just saying rhetorical sports quotes like, "he can't win", or that he shouldn't be letting in weak goals at this point?

Hilarious stuff, keep it coming.
I played nets for years, and was well trained. Fine, Price is very good at the basics, and that is very important.

But it is you who knows nothing about goal tending. The very best goalies do anything to keep the puck out. Anything. They show extreme fire and determination, and will make impossible saves.

I do not see Price doping that, and it worries me.

I love Price buy the way, and no, I would not trade him. All I am saying is where's the fire?

Quote:
Yesterday he would've been 6th. That loss busted his stats reeeeel good.
No, that game is part of his stats to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
we win if we score just one goal in ot.
We did not have time to score that goal did we? We let in the loser every time, in no time. I was so pissed off at our OT play in that series, the team, and Price, were TERRIBLE in OT. See the Habs Rags OT in 86. Roy was unbelievable for a 10 minute stretch, and we scored on our first serious rush. That is what great PO goalies do.

Old
03-05-2013, 01:34 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
I played nets for years
If I've learned anything from amateur goalies over the decades is that they believe there is always one style to do things and there's no other style acceptable. You don't seem to be very different.

"Extreme fire" is the complete opposite of Price. He's much more similar to the Chicoutimi Cucumber and Kenny Dryden. Two great Canadiens goaltenders that never showed "Extreme Fire". But like I said, you were an amateur goalie. You're only going to believe in one school of thought.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:46 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
If I've learned anything from amateur goalies over the decades is that they believe there is always one style to do things and there's no other style acceptable. You don't seem to be very different.

"Extreme fire" is the complete opposite of Price. He's much more similar to the Chicoutimi Cucumber and Kenny Dryden. Two great Canadiens goaltenders that never showed "Extreme Fire". But like I said, you were an amateur goalie. You're only going to believe in one school of thought.
Forget myself, I only mentioned it to explain that I do know the basics of goaltending.

And if you think Dryden did not have fire, go watch his wins against Boston and Chicago in the 71 PO.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Is he top five in the league for you now or not?
Not right now he isn't. Absolutely not. But has the potential and projection to be.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:19 AM
PricePkPatch

To be honest, we have conceded a freakishly small amount of shot on goal this year so far. This is due to bring a Save % down

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:04 PM
JIMVINNY

Quote:
Not right now he isn't. Absolutely not. But has the potential and projection to be.
You saying that he isn't top 5 does nothing but reinforce the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about. Because he IS top 5 to the vast majority of NHL GM's.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
habtastic

You know we're having a great season when we're nitpicking about our best player who is a goalie any team would seriously consider doing a one to one swap with.

The Price is Correct! wait...no, that's not it.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
You saying that he isn't top 5 does nothing but reinforce the fact that you have no idea what you are talking about. Because he IS top 5 to the vast majority of NHL GM's.
You know these NHL GM's personally?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Come on LG I am not saying price is a bum. And there is no point bringing other goalies into this discussion. Price is our goalie, and we need to win cups with him.

The discussion in my thinking is: Can price stand on his head and steal games in the Playoffs, especially in OT? And win series? My answer, at the moment, is no. There is no evidence to say he can.

I also hope that I am wrong, and will be the first to admit it.

This is not romper room any more, you of all guys know how important our upcoming cup window is. If Price cannot perform in the PO, and I mean perform massively, we are screwed. OK will not cut it.

I played nets for years, and was well trained. Fine, Price is very good at the basics, and that is very important.

But it is you who knows nothing about goal tending. The very best goalies do anything to keep the puck out. Anything. They show extreme fire and determination, and will make impossible saves.

I do not see Price doping that, and it worries me.

I love Price buy the way, and no, I would not trade him. All I am saying is where's the fire?
The guy has made crazy saves in the past man. He just doesn't normally have to because he's got great positioning. He makes it look easy and it works for him.

Quote:
No, that game is part of his stats to date.
That's fair enough, but you're looking at it the day after his worst game of the year. He's been stellar all year long and his numbers will go back up.
Quote:
We did not have time to score that goal did we? We let in the loser every time, in no time. I was so pissed off at our OT play in that series, the team, and Price, were TERRIBLE in OT. See the Habs Rags OT in 86. Roy was unbelievable for a 10 minute stretch, and we scored on our first serious rush. That is what great PO goalies do.
Dude, game five Price took us 19 minutes... our team COULDN'T SCORE. There was no Paccioretty for this series and we were left with nobody who could put it in the net.

Price also lost to Tim Thomas who had the highest save percentage in the modern era and that club went on to win the cup. There's no shame in this.
Quote:
You said Lundqvist and Rinne were better but Luongo wasn't and neither was Rask (though you preferred his style.)

So who else is better?

Old
03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Looks like another rough one for Price on the Island tonight. Give Budaj some more starts he has shown he deserves them right now.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

So, ah...

How 'bout that Carey Price?

Old
03-05-2013, 08:36 PM

Man does he suck.