HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings interested in Briere

Old
07-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Michigan Wolverine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Just to follow up on DanielBriere48's post, if you project Briere's 58pts in 48gms last season to 82gms, you end up with 99pts. That's why he was awarded $5M. Of course, you can argue that that doesn't mean anything if he's injured, but, if you look at his history, he stayed extremely healthy until last year (78, 82 and 82gms played the previous 3 seasons). So, I would not call him injury-prone. He had that abdominal injury last year, but that was the only major injury, and, upon returning from that, he picked up the scoring right where he had left off. I admit that it's hard to think of Briere as a #1 center, but what do you call a 99pt scorer? I wouldn't call that a #2 center.
His production is understated and his injury history is overstated around here. I totally agree with you, Osprey.

Michigan Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:39 PM
The Judge

Anytime a team is dumping salaries...that team do not generally get the full value of it's player(s).

IMO, we might not have to give up a lot for him (Briere) unless another team is that desperate or non-intelligent about it.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:40 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Anytime a team is dumping salaries...that team do not generally get the full value of it's player(s).

IMO, we might not have to give up a lot for him (Briere) unless another team is that desperate or non-intelligent about it.
However, it might end up costing quality prospects.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:41 PM
King Blazer

Briere was basically a 60-pt/season player in the three seasons prior to this past one. Fairly consistent numbers...

Honestly, I think Cammalleri is capable of putting up similar numbers over the next couple of seasons which means the 4th year of the rumored deal Lombardi is trying to sign him to might have just gotten a little more expensive...

Last edited by King Blazer: 07-23-2006 at 09:51 PM.
King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
He was basically a 60-pt/season player in the three seasons prior to this past one. Fairly consistent numbers...
Right. The worst-case scenario is that he continues to have 60pt seasons and is overpaid by about $2M. The best-case scenario is that he has a bunch of 100pt seasons (like last year's would've been, without the injury) from here on out and is underpaid by about $2M. That doesn't seem like such a horrible risk.... even odds, at least.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:12 PM
ILuvLA

If the off season trend continues, this is all speculation and Briere won't end up in LA -

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:17 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA View Post
If the off season trend continues, this is all speculation and Briere won't end up in LA -
If you shoot enough your going to score....We`ve shot so dang much were going to land someone, cant say if its going to be Briere though

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:20 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
If you shoot enough your going to score....We`ve shot so dang much were going to land someone, cant say if its going to be Briere though
I will believe it only if/when it happens - and I'm not holding my breath. Yes, the glass is 1/2 empty.

Old
07-23-2006, 10:25 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
I will believe it only if/when it happens - and I'm not holding my breath. Yes, the glass is 1/2 empty.
If a Kings fan loses her joy and the LA Times isn't covering hockey anymore, does anybody hear it?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Mindcircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
If a Kings fan loses her joy and the LA Times isn't covering hockey anymore, does anybody hear it?
I hear it. It sounds like someone being dipped into hot lava feet first.

Last edited by Mindcircus: 07-23-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:39 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
I haven't lost my joy - I'm being realistic. Am also bracing myself for what may be a long, long season. Anything to the contrary would be pure enjoyment.

Old
07-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I haven't lost my joy - I'm being realistic. Am also bracing myself for what may be a long, long season. Anything to the contrary would be pure enjoyment.
If you were around for the dark years, you can hang around now...

you'll just have to drink more during the games....

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
They are now.
Consider the source

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:54 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
If you were around for the dark years, you can hang around now...

you'll just have to drink more during the games....
I've been following the Kings since the late 80's. Trust me, I can handle it - perhaps that's why I'm so reticent towards the upcoming season.

Old
07-23-2006, 11:06 PM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
God, who isn't after Danny? Don't get too excited.

http://wgrz.com/video/Sportsvplayer.aspx?aid=16766&bw=

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
I am at the point where I like our prospect stable as is and wouldn't want to see any of them traded for a player like Briere. The loss of Tambellini and Grebeshkov stung. I don't want to see that again unless we get a true FRANCHISE player in return.

I would have taken the hit for Luongo or Joe Thornton. But 2A and 2B flight players like Gomez and Briere just aren't worth it. Even if our prospects don't turn out, we have invested a lot in them and it would be a more attractive option, for me at least, to see them through.

You don't see teams like Detroit, Philadelphia or Anaheim selling their prospects off very often (re: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hudler, Carter, Richards, Downie, Perry, Getzlaf, Ryan, Penner, etc.). Granted there are a couple exceptions for each team, but theses are the teams I would like to see the Kings look like.

Another thing is that at this point, Briere is not going to put us over the hump. We are currently an average team AT BEST. If we are going to dump top-flite prospects or young players, lets make sure that it will drastically improve us.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 11:22 PM
The Judge

Quote:
However, it might end up costing quality prospects.

Don't worry!

I don't think any General Manager in his right mind would give a lot of top quality prospects, pay $5 million for 1 year for a Briere. Especially from a team that everyone knows is dumping salaries to keep their own. Buffalo will not get full value for him unless as I said earlier one non-intellligent GM takes him and it definitely won't be Lombardi. It's not his style.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
I am at the point where I like our prospect stable as is and wouldn't want to see any of them traded for a player like Briere. The loss of Tambellini and Grebeshkov stung. I don't want to see that again unless we get a true FRANCHISE player in return.
Why would you require a franchise player in return in order to give up non-franchise players? Briere will likely put up more points over the next five years than almost any Kings prospect will. Acquiring Briere would be absolutely nothing like the Islanders trade. Proven, consistent production and leadership signed to long-term contracts trump potential any day of the week.

Old
07-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Venom_17

Quote:
Why would you require a franchise player in return in order to give up non-franchise players? Briere will likely put up more points over the next five years than almost any Kings prospect will. Acquiring Briere would be absolutely nothing like the Islanders trade. Proven, consistent production and leadership signed to long-term contracts trump potential any day of the week.
Multiple prospects for one player changes this perspective. It is more accurate to describe it as multiple solid players for one second-tier current player.

I would rather have 10-15 years from any two of Cammalleri, Brown, Frolov, Tukonen, etc. than 5-10 years of Briere at $5M.

And yes, Briere might "likely", as you put it, outscore our current prospects and young players, but it is not necessarily so. In addition, I wrote in my post of "investment" in prospects. I would rather take the aforementioned prospects at 60 points per in the future than Briere at 80 right now.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Martyros

this is full of crap, just becuase the kings don't have much talent in the top 6 positions, you'll find ANY available player with top 6 talent rumors to come here! EVERYONE should have known this by now, but of course, maybe this was DL's plan? to wait til' arbitration to know what players will be on the block? we won't know until he says it himself

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17 View Post
I would rather have 10-15 years from any two of Cammalleri, Brown, Frolov, Tukonen, etc. than 5-10 years of Briere at $5M.
While I understand what you're saying, your years aren't realistic. All that really matters is number of years until free agency, and that's lower now than it's ever been. Young players will be UFAs at 27 years old (assuming 4 seasons in the NHL). 5 years is about the average number of years in the NHL that Kings youth will have with this team until they're free to follow the money elsewhere. That's also assuming that they even stick in the NHL and become successes. Weigh that against the proven performance of a veteran NHLer for the same 5 years and the latter looks pretty appealing.

I understand that you're saying that you'd rather have 2 solid NHLers for that 5-year period than 1 Briere, but that's counting on them both fulfilling their potential, and that's a big risk. If Buffalo wants any two non-NHLers from the Kings' system, other than Kopitar and O'Sullivan, I'd give them to them in a heartbeat (assuming a long-term contract for Briere somehow).

Last edited by Osprey: 07-24-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old
07-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Fingolfin

Quote:
If Buffalo wants any two non-NHLers from the Kings' system, other than Kopitar and O'Sullivan, I'd give them to them in a heartbeat (assuming a long-term contract for Briere somehow).
I can't imagine that the Kings would consider giving up Bernier, or one of the top D prospects (Hersley and Petiot) considering how thin the depth is at those positions.

- Fin

Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
I can't imagine that the Kings would consider giving up Bernier, or one of the top D prospects (Hersley and Petiot) considering how thin the depth is at those positions.
That was actually assumed. I probably should've said "any two non-NHL forwards."

Old
07-24-2006, 12:53 AM
Riposte!

It hasn't been mentioned yet, and I'm dying to know because it invariably has gotten time in pretty much every discussion about the LA Kings since May, but:

Is Daniel Briere a Lombardi-type of player?

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 01:22 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
Is Daniel Briere a Lombardi-type of player?
He always gives full effort and has leadership skills, so I'd say that he probably is. Those two things seem to be the only common threads throughout all of players that he's pursued, signed or drafted.