HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik Might Be Available

Old
03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
How do we lack depth?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian
Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Sestito
Weise

Giving up one or two roster players(+ futures)to add Gaborik absolutely makes us a better team.
As I said before, Gaborik with the Sedins would put up 50. I believe out of all the lines he could play on the Sedins are probably a top 5 fit. #1 I'd say is Datsyuk,.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:32 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Williams, Stoll an Drewiske for Gabby and Boyle
really good proposal.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I Will Son
An Army of One

Ellis/Blum+Hornqvist+Watson

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

I would really hope Ottawa is in on this... he's exactly what our offense is lacking and we have a plethora of pieces to do it without mortgaging our future away...

something around Gabby for Zibanejad+ is definitely something I could see working other pieces I could see the Rangers liking... Zach Smith, Patrick Wiercioch, Gonchar? there's definitely a package that can be made to entice both sides.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
The main key for anyone acquiring Gaborik is fit. Do not acquire him if you're expecting him to hold onto the puck and make plays. For him to be optimal, that is the player he must play with. Gaborik will finish off the plays no problem, but he needs a guy who can skate, stickhandle, and hold onto the puck. Richards/Stepan aren't optimal because they both have below average speed and neither player thrive off holding onto the puck. I even think a guy like Grabovski would be a better fit with Gaborik. Gaborik said explicitly when he signed in NY that he wasn't the type to hold onto the puck, but rather the type of player who is great at finding lanes.

Put him with Datsyuk or the Sedins and I bet you he'd score 50.
That's who I was thinking about when you said that Something around Kessel for Gaborik could maybe be a possibility.

But, I won't bother discussing it further due to me wanting more from your end because of the age difference but you likely wanting more because Gaborik is a better goal scorer. One of those situations where each team is kind of more comfortable with who we have.

So my next thought would be to consider trading Grabo to NYR, but I'm not sure if your team would be able to take on his salary along with all the other high priced players you have.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
That's who I was thinking about when you said that Something around Kessel for Gaborik could maybe be a possibility.

But, I won't bother discussing it further due to me wanting more from your end because of the age difference but you likely wanting more because Gaborik is a better goal scorer. One of those situations where each team is kind of more comfortable with who we have.

So my next thought would be to consider trading Grabo to NYR, but I'm not sure if your team would be able to take on his salary along with all the other high priced players you have.
Straight up, given Kessel's age I'd do a straight one for one. I wouldn't expect the Leafs to add. I'd even consider adding depending on the price.

Old
03-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Vitto79

I highly doubt they move Gaborik and if they do I want a top line winger, 3rd line C and top 4 D............basically someone to replace Gaborik , obiviusly wont be as offensive..........then fill their needs in a 3rd line C, righty shooting top 4 D...........Rangers will throw in Boyle and Eminger/Gilroy..............make your offers but no low balls or they just keep him

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I highly doubt they move Gaborik and if they do I want a top line winger, 3rd line C and top 4 D............basically someone to replace Gaborik , obiviusly wont be as offensive..........then fill their needs in a 3rd line C, righty shooting top 4 D...........Rangers will throw in Boyle and Eminger/Gilroy..............make your offers but no low balls or they just keep him
Zibanejad,Z.Smith, Gonchar/Wiercioch for Gabby & Boyle.

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
deckercky

Rangers have $13M for the deadline....wouldn't they be better to trade out some picks to fill back depth for a run rather than selling off talent for depth.

deckercky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post

Has any team ever traded away and then traded back for their first round pick?
Nashville did it when they traded Hartnell and Timonen for their 1st rounder that they previously traded for Forsberg.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Like I said in the other thread I would offer
Michalek (reatin 1.3M of salary if Euge is willing)+Smith+Greening
Seeing as you want a D and I am not familiar with NYR needs, maybe swap Greening for Weircioch/Gonchar like Marty offered

edit: and like I said in the other thread, I don't think that would get it done from a rangers perspective

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 658
Quote:
Straight up, given Kessel's age I'd do a straight one for one. I wouldn't expect the Leafs to add. I'd even consider adding depending on the price.
Kind of defeats the purpose of trading Gaborik which was to get depth in the end doesn't it Kessel seems like to big of a piece to go the other way in the trade but at the same time we can't afford to have both Kessel and Gaborik in our lineup. Starts to look like not a good trading fit IF the whole purpose of trading Gaborik was to get depth. I'm still intrigued though because if Gaborik plays well with Grabo it does kind of solve our center issues. Grabo moves up to 1st line, Kadri on the 2nd, Bozak on the 3rd.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Rangers have $13M for the deadline....wouldn't they be better to trade out some picks to fill back depth for a run rather than selling off talent for depth.
yea but then what would we talk about..........reality is yea this is the route to go, keep Gaborik, IF they want to move him they can do it in the offseason when he has a full yr on his deal left

picks for depth makes more sense

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

I do not think GMBM will go after Gaborik personally.

The asking price will be high because of the caliber of player he is.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Perry for Gaborik straight up I'd do.

I don't want any salary games considering the strong potential of Perry jetting and the concentration of the NYR top players share of salary.
Really ? Perry is on the record for not wanting to play in a big market. He's gone on July 1st...well 5th this yr.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:59 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Kind of defeats the purpose of trading Gaborik which was to get depth in the end doesn't it Kessel seems like to big of a piece to go the other way in the trade but at the same time we can't afford to have both Kessel and Gaborik in our lineup. Starts to look like not a good trading fit IF the whole purpose of trading Gaborik was to get depth. I'm still intrigued though because if Gaborik plays well with Grabo it does kind of solve our center issues. Grabo moves up to 1st line, Kadri on the 2nd, Bozak on the 3rd.
For me I'm not concerned about depth. I'm concerned more with fit. I think for NYR, Kessel would be a better fit than Gaborik on Richards' wing. I live in Toronto, so I know how both players play. Gaborik is a smarter player than Kessel with better goal scoring ability, but Kessel is more creative and much more comfortable holding onto the puck and just skating with it. He is also very agile. Gaborik isn't particular good at turning, pivoting etc, he is just fast going foward. Like I said Gaborik will score 50 with the right player, and that player is not Richards. I think you need one guy who is comfortable with the puck on each line. Gaborik's least effective lines are those when all 3 players are not.

I'd definitely consider making other strategic moves with TO such as swapping Boyle for a guy with a bit more offense but maybe inferior defense. Or acquiring a RHD in exchange for a LHD. But like I said, I would be more than willing to construct a trade around Kessel and Gaborik given Kessel's age and superior fit style wise with Richards.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:01 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Really ? Perry is on the record for not wanting to play in a big market. He's gone on July 1st...well 5th this yr.
Meh you never know. Nash said the same thing...plus he's a "private guy".

Old
03-05-2013, 10:03 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

If true, San Jose should be the team that takes a shot at acquiring this player. Thornton produces a lot when paired with a pure finisher. There's a lot I don't like about Gaborik's game, but at finishing, he's inarguably one of the best.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
Nashville really needs a scorer.
Agreed. If this is true, Nashville should be all over this. Always thought Gaborik would look good in a Predators uniform.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
As I said before, Gaborik with the Sedins would put up 50. I believe out of all the lines he could play on the Sedins are probably a top 5 fit. #1 I'd say is Datsyuk,.
disagree... IMO he's a terrible fit with the Sedins. How many wingers do we have to see on their line to know who they work best with? And Gaborik simply isn't the type of player that does those things that they need to be successful. We even saw it this year when we had a big powerforward in Kassian next to them - you'd think a huge right handed powerforward was exactly what they needed, but they played much better when Burrows was put back on their line. Why? Because Burrows does everything that they need their winger to do - go into all the dirty areas, forecheck like crazy, backcheck like crazy. That's what makes Burrows so good with them. Is Gaborik that type of player?

If you're looking for a perfect fit next to the Sedins, IMO the guy on the Rangers that would provide that would be Callahan. A player who plays at a high energy level, works in tough areas, and is willing to do the dirty work on his line. The fact that he's a right handed player is even a bigger bonus next to the Sedins. If we're looking at finding a perfect fit next to the Sedins from the Rangers, that's who I'd want. Of course given his leadership and intangibles impact for the Rangers, he's not likely to be available.

And as others have said, the Canucks would burn their depth if they added a guy like Gaborik. The only reason why people are speculating that he may be available is so the Rangers can add depth to their lineup by moving him - the Canucks would be in the same problem situation if they added a $7.5mill cap hit to their forward units. There just isn't enough young talent playing beyond their ELC cap hits on this team to justify adding another huge contract on this team.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jets
Resident Sieve

Little + Antropov + Tangradi + 2013 2nd for Gaborik.

NYR gets instant playoff depth, WPG gets a shakeup.

Jets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
disagree... IMO he's a terrible fit with the Sedins. How many wingers do we have to see on their line to know who they work best with? And Gaborik simply isn't the type of player that does those things that they need to be successful. We even saw it this year when we had a big powerforward in Kassian next to them - you'd think a huge right handed powerforward was exactly what they needed, but they played much better when Burrows was put back on their line. Why? Because Burrows does everything that they need their winger to do - go into all the dirty areas, forecheck like crazy, backcheck like crazy. That's what makes Burrows so good with them. Is Gaborik that type of player?

If you're looking for a perfect fit next to the Sedins, IMO the guy on the Rangers that would provide that would be Callahan. A player who plays at a high energy level, works in tough areas, and is willing to do the dirty work on his line. The fact that he's a right handed player is even a bigger bonus next to the Sedins. If we're looking at finding a perfect fit next to the Sedins from the Rangers, that's who I'd want. Of course given his leadership and intangibles impact for the Rangers, he's not likely to be available.

And as others have said, the Canucks would burn their depth if they added a guy like Gaborik. The only reason why people are speculating that he may be available is so the Rangers can add depth to their lineup by moving him - the Canucks would be in the same problem situation if they added a $7.5mill cap hit to their forward units. There just isn't enough young talent playing beyond their ELC cap hits on this team to justify adding another huge contract on this team.
Well its an entirely different story how effective the line would be in the defensive zone. Gaborik would be in the right spot for every play though in the offensive zone. If the line makes the play, he'll 100% finish it.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:15 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Little + Antropov + Tangradi + 2013 2nd for Gaborik.

NYR gets instant playoff depth, WPG gets a shakeup.
Counter - assuming Marc Staal is ok.

Gaborik, Del Zotto, Boyle

for

Bogosian, Little

Old
03-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post

We'd have Schroeder, Kassian, and could probably add Jensen to our lineup as well,as his SEL season's over.

A lineup like:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Gaborik
Raymond-Schroeder-Jensen
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Would be pretty sick, imo. And there's lots of room to move players around to find chemistry.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Honestly the only star that I'd really be eager to trade is Richards. He has been flatout awful this year.

I think NYR should try and slowly transition between Richards & Gaborik to another duo.
It would likely involve trading Gaborik and buying out Richards who has a full NMC.
I'd look to move Richards too. No question that Gaborik has been more valuable during his tenure here. It's going to be tough to move Richards with a $6.6 million cap hit, with the term he has, and the type of production he has put out.

A lot of teams would be interested in a $7.5 million multiple 40 goal scorer. I wouldn't make trade Gaborik myself. Our depth is already shallow with "top end" talent. You move Gaborik for a 2nd liner / 3rd liner and a draft pick and you make the team worse. Perhaps if you can get two top-6 forwards and a high end pick you think about it. The bottom line is, besides Nash, he's the only pure goal scorer on the team. If Nash got injured, or vice versa, the team would be screwed.

The Rangers wouldn't move Gaborik without getting a legitimate goal scorer in return. And if they're just swapping goal scorers, what's the point?

Furthermore, Gaborik has proven he can make it in NY. He just finished in the top-5 in goals last season with 41, and his first season here he finished with 42 goals and finished top-10 in points. He's a proven commodity in NY, a tough area to play with big expectations. You don't move a proven commodity like that without a significant return. Once Gaborik finds his stride again, in terms of putting the puck in the net, he will show why he is an elite sniper in the game. And elite snipers like Gaborik are few and far between.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote