The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Karl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
We are in 6th place for now. 4 points ahead of 14th. Not safe at all.

When we picked up Suter and Parise. We, to me, made it clear we are in the playoff or bust category. The GM got the players, the coach has to utilize them. There is no more lets see, the effort was there, we worked hard, we are getting better excuses. Its win or not.

A top 10 NHL d man. Suter
A top 10 NHL player? Parise top 5 at his position at least.
A top 10 NHL centermen. Koivu
A top 10 goalie. Backstrom

Yeo needs results, no excuses.
say you get rid of Yeo now, who do you bring in? Ruff? awesome, but that just means that the guys would have to learn a new system and gel again. Time in which they do not have. s I said the team seems to be plaing better and as BuddyMcCormick said we are only two points out of first. Not a bad spot imo. Now if we were Columbus or Eddy then I would agree with you.

Old
03-05-2013, 12:07 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's more than four people on a hockey team. And none of those four have been dominant throughout the season.
How many stars do you need?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Another ugly loss and another game in which Yeo just sat back and watched the game rather than trying to do anything to shift the momentum to his side.

What on earth compelled him to think that he needed to save his timeout throughout the four-goal meltdown streak, so that his guys could be fresh for a D-zone faceoff down by two in the last minute?

And why leave Backs in for four? He was clearly shaky and the team needed a message sent.

Presumably he'll parrot the same crap about liking the way they responded, make excuses about what a good opponent they played. And then he won't really change anything meaningful at all or make any kind of a statement despite having a very rare opportunity to have multiple practices in a row.

Now I see where the team gets their "just sit and watch" mentality on the dump-and-chase.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Another ugly loss and another game in which Yeo just sat back and watched the game rather than trying to do anything to shift the momentum to his side.

What on earth compelled him to think that he needed to save his timeout throughout the four-goal meltdown streak, so that his guys could be fresh for a D-zone faceoff down by two in the last minute?

And why leave Backs in for four? He was clearly shaky and the team needed a message sent.

Presumably he'll parrot the same crap about liking the way they responded, make excuses about what a good opponent they played. And then he won't really change anything meaningful at all or make any kind of a statement despite having a very rare opportunity to have multiple practices in a row.

Now I see where the team gets their "just sit and watch" mentality on the dump-and-chase.
Yeo's in game behavior really is mystifying. Backs should have been pulled after two, or at the very least after three. Or even after the fourth goal just to send a damned message. Time out should have been called after the 2nd goal to calm the team down and get them off their heels and skating forward again. We got our goal and then spent the whole rest of that period bottled up in our own damned zone. We needed a jolt, and he completely failed to deliver again.

I am just astounded at how inept Yeo seems this year at times.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Again, looking forward to this thread after each and every loss.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Yes, sadly.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:46 PM
GORGO

Quote:

My thoughts exactly... I just hope I'm nowhere near a Radio or TV tomorrow to hear Yeo spew the same ole crap... "how proud I am of the compete level of our players in the 3rd" Or " it's really starting to come together". Can't stand this guy's constant excuses.. He has no business coaching in the NHL but its not his fault.. Fletcher needs to start being accountable but their both cut from the same mold...

Old
03-05-2013, 10:50 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
That's a bit patronizing, no? If people were just saying "derp yeo is bad coach" then I'd agree with you, but I posted because I saw coaching details in that game that I thought were worth discussing and this seemed to be the most appropriate place.

I thought Yeo coached this game really, really poorly. Even the press conference was mostly the reporters second-guessing his decisions. Between goalie questions, missed timeout opportunities, and a veteran player saying it was the attitude on the bench that doomed them, I don't think it's unreasonable to critique his performance a bit.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Dudicles

Quote:
That's a bit patronizing, no? If people were just saying "derp yeo is bad coach" then I'd agree with you, but I posted because I saw coaching details in that game that I thought were worth discussing and this seemed to be the most appropriate place.

I thought Yeo coached this game really, really poorly. Even the press conference was mostly the reporters second-guessing his decisions. Between goalie questions, missed timeout opportunities, and a veteran player saying it was the attitude on the bench that doomed them, I don't think it's unreasonable to critique his performance a bit.
Not pulling Backstrom after the 3rd goal was the coaching equivalent of mailing it in last night.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

The timeout, I'll give you. He probably should've taken it after the 2nd goal and definitely should've taken it after the 3rd.

As far as pulling Backs, the 3rd goal was scored with less than 3 minutes to go in the 1st, I think he just wanted to get to intermission to make the change. It's not like Hossa's goal was a soft one anyways.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
The timeout, I'll give you. He probably should've taken it after the 2nd goal and definitely should've taken it after the 3rd.

As far as pulling Backs, the 3rd goal was scored with less than 3 minutes to go in the 1st, I think he just wanted to get to intermission to make the change. It's not like Hossa's goal was a soft one anyways.
He pulled Harding after 2 goals, sometimes you pull the goalie to wake the damn team up and he didn't last night. If you see your goalie is shaky, your team is playing bad you have to do something, you pull the goalie and you try to wake them up.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

The Wild came into that game playing not to lose. Its the same thing they did against the Ducks and often do against Detroit. The Wild just stood around in awe while the other team just skated circles around them. The goaltending change doesn't fix that.

I just hope the tender change pisses Backs off so he plays like a monster vrs. Nashville.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
He pulled Harding after 2 goals, sometimes you pull the goalie to wake the damn team up and he didn't last night. If you see your goalie is shaky, your team is playing bad you have to do something, you pull the goalie and you try to wake them up.
Harding's 2nd goal was much, much weaker than anything Backstrom gave up last night. I agree that Backstrom had to be yanked, but I think Yeo was hoping to escape the last 2:45 of the period before doing it, which I don't necessarily disagree with. If the 3rd goal comes with 8 minutes left in the 1st, he probably (hopefully) makes the change right then.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:31 AM
BigT2002

Should of called the timeout after the 2nd goal. Plain and simple. Calm the team down and make sure Backs was feeling it. He certainly has lapses

Old
03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

The way we were contunuing to play in the first, on our heals and making bad passes, Yeo really should have calmed the team down.

The goalie change could have helped as well. I do understand why he did it, and I think it might have been one of those 50/50 choices, where his turned out to be the wrong one unfortunately.

We just weren't prepared. We should have come into this game expectig, well, expecting to play against the best team in the NHL, and we came in as spectators instead. It was very poor preparation, both on the part of Yeo, and on the players.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wrote about dump-and-chase vs puck carries for FRB

Carrying the puck across the blue line is twice as effective as dumping the puck. Wild aren't carrying the puck enough. Part of it is personnel but I believe coaching strategy is a big part, including their defensive zone positioning and the breakout.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Emilie

Not at all surprised that this was the first thread when I logged in this morning.

Yeo made some bad decision last night no doubt. But it's the same storyline as before. Changing a coach in the middle of the season is almost always a bad idea, especially if the team is still in the playoff hunt. You run a HUGE risk of the team not responding to the new coach at all, and then not even making the playoffs. Until the Wilds record takes a nose dive and they aren't winning any games Fletch isn't going to mess with Yeo's job mid-season.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Dudicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post
Not at all surprised that this was the first thread when I logged in this morning.

Yeo made some bad decision last night no doubt. But it's the same storyline as before. Changing a coach in the middle of the season is almost always a bad idea, especially if the team is still in the playoff hunt. You run a HUGE risk of the team not responding to the new coach at all, and then not even making the playoffs. Until the Wilds record takes a nose dive and they aren't winning any games Fletch isn't going to mess with Yeo's job mid-season.
I don't know that this is exactly a fire Yeo thread anymore, but more of a b*tch about the coaching decisions (or lack thereof) thread.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
kfan22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie View Post

Ask LA how they feel about a coaching change during the year or St. Louis

Old
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
I don't know that this is exactly a fire Yeo thread anymore, but more of a b*tch about the coaching decisions (or lack thereof) thread.
Yeah, I suppose looking a bit closer it could be. Some comments were coming off as being very fire yeo-y

Old
03-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
He pulled Harding and replaced him with a veteran who has seen it all and could handle the situation. Not the same thing as pulling Backstrom and replacing him with a doe eyed rookie who has never seen anything like the Chicago Blackhawks. Very different scenarios imo.

A TO should have certainly been called after the 2nd goal knowing that you are not pulling Backstrom just to give Backs a chance to get his head together though.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm at the point I think the Wild would be better off with a different coach and it's just a matter of when and who.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
I like Yeo, but I think it's pretty clear we aren't consistent enough to really challenge in the playoffs this year(if we make it). But, even if we do a coaching change, it can either pay off immediately(LA, STL) or just benefit us for next year to implement the new system.

My two cents.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:21 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wrote about dump-and-chase vs puck carries for FRB

Carrying the puck across the blue line is twice as effective as dumping the puck. Wild aren't carrying the puck enough. Part of it is personnel but I believe coaching strategy is a big part, including their defensive zone positioning and the breakout.
That was a hell of an article!

I'm going to have to think about this more and pay more attention.

On what I can recall of the WIld's recent games, this does seem to hold a fair amount of validity.

One small note: Yeo does not seem to have the ability to adapt, in most situations really. In a way, it's his way or no way, all the time. This is part of the reason why he has always failed on the PP. Good teams adapt and are liquid to the situation. This begins with the coaching. Just imo.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 PM
Emilie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
Ask LA how they feel about a coaching change during the year or St. Louis
yes, because TWO teams have shown that it can work means it absolutely would work in the Wilds favor to do that. There isn't an eye-rolling graphic big enough for me to use in response to this right now.

Closed Thread