HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best Stanley Cup finals that did NOT go seven games?

Old
03-04-2013, 05:21 PM
clefty
What?

vCash: 500
'92 is probably the best sweep.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Stars and Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Maybe because I'm a Devils fan, but I thought the 2000 finals were among the best finals I've ever seen. It was my most enjoyed finals of any of the 5 they participated it.

But I guess you have to appreciate goaltending duels to appreciate it.
You would have to be a Devils or Stars fan (like me) to find the 2000 SCF interesting, just like you would have to be a Stars or Sabres fan to find the one intersting the previous year.

2010 (oddly the 10th anniversary of 2000) was a much better SCF.

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Bolts View Post
You would have to be a Devils or Stars fan (like me) to find the 2000 SCF interesting, just like you would have to be a Stars or Sabres fan to find the one intersting the previous year.

2010 (oddly the 10th anniversary of 2000) was a much better SCF.
Or you'd have to appreciate amazing goaltending (not to mention the speed and skill of the NJ team at the time, but then maybe I'm biased there). I'm pretty sure quoipourquoi isn't a Devils or Stars fan...

The 2000 finals were much better than 2003, a series where I really do think you had to be a fan of one of the teams to really appreciate.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-04-2013 at 09:01 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Stars and Bolts

Quote:
Or you'd have to appreciate amazing goaltending (not to mention the speed and skill of the NJ team at the time). I'm pretty sure quoipourquoi isn't a Devils or Stars fan...

The 2000 finals were much better than 2003
Granted, the 2000 finals were intense since I had a rooting interest. As for the goaltending, I thought Belfour (aside from his abysmal game 1 performance) was the only reason the series was somewhat close. The Devils definitely outplayed us in games 5 and 6, but Belfour kept us alive before Arnott was finally able to score to win them the cup. I felt like we were hanging by a thread those 2 games.

No doubt the 2000 finals were better than the 2003 finals, which in reverse of this thread win the award for worst 7 game series. Though Paul Kariya coming back and scoring a goal after Stevens hit him late was very exciting and memorable.

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:14 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
It would have to be, I thought the 2000 finals were like watching paint dry

I never thought it was a goaltending duel at all. When we look back we see that it was Brodeur and Belfour in net and assume it had to be a great goaltending duel. It wasn't. This was a series that went in triple overtime in Game 5 and double in Game 6 and was still not very entertaining. It reminds me of the 1998 Olympics when Roy and Hasek went against each other. We tend to forget that for three periods this was a boring game with very little in the way of scoring chances. Canada turned it on in overtime and looked awful in the shootout. Over time that has turned into a classic goaltending duel and it wasn't.

You want a classic goaltending duel? Kelly Hrudey vs. Bob Mason Game 7 1987. Went 4 overtimes, called the "Easter Epic". THAT was a goaltending duel. Lots of high quality shots and several clutch saves that could end the series at any moment.

2000 was two of the most defensive teams in the NHL. Nothing Ken Hitchcock does is exciting and his teams played that way. It isn't to say these weren't good teams, but they didn't create fun hockey to watch.
You must not have watched the 2000 final.

It was a series where the shot totals may not have been up there in the record books, but that doesnt tell the story. The chances that were had were good ones and both goalies were phenomenal. The games were fairly back and forth. I remember sh**ting my pants a bunch of times, especially in game 5.

Lots of saves like this by both goalies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Grq2evrRfg

Pained me to relive this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA9M5G_KPe8

Last edited by tjcurrie: 03-04-2013 at 09:39 PM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 01:47 AM
VMBM

I wouldn't know, but the 1974 finals between the Flyers and the Bruins are fun to watch. The Flyers were doing an excellent job at keeping Orr... well, not totally ineffective, but 'in control'.

Last edited by VMBM: 03-05-2013 at 01:52 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Or you'd have to appreciate amazing goaltending (not to mention the speed and skill of the NJ team at the time, but then maybe I'm biased there). I'm pretty sure quoipourquoi isn't a Devils or Stars fan...

The 2000 finals were much better than 2003, a series where I really do think you had to be a fan of one of the teams to really appreciate.
Seriously, it's my favorite series - though I hate the Stars and am only somewhat fond of the Devils. I get goosebumps thinking of Sydor in that series!

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
cam042686

I also agree about the 74 Flyers/Bruin series. That was great to watch. Especially the performance by Bobby Orr in Game 5.

I'd also add the 1972 Finals. The Rangers and Bruins both put on a great show and Brad Park and Bobby Orr played just super.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
As a Devils fan, it warms my heart to see both a Maple Leafs fan and a Flyers fan still sore about 2000.
time to drop the gloves on this one............

seriously, I am a Leaf fan second and a hockey fan first. I haven't missed the Stanley Cup final since I was a boy and wasn't going to miss it in 2000 either. So I wasn't sore two weeks after the Leafs got knocked out even. Jersey was the better team, however if there were two teams that sure didn't complement each other it was the Devils and Stars at that time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Bolts View Post
It was at the height of the clutch and grab era with two teams who played a patient game. I suppose the Devils may have played a slightly more exciting game than the Stars. But I don't know if that says much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
You must not have watched the 2000 final.

It was a series where the shot totals may not have been up there in the record books, but that doesnt tell the story. The chances that were had were good ones and both goalies were phenomenal. The games were fairly back and forth. I remember sh**ting my pants a bunch of times, especially in game 5.

Lots of saves like this by both goalies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Grq2evrRfg

Pained me to relive this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA9M5G_KPe8
The thing is you'd have to put together a highlight package for that series. On face value that wasn't really an exciting series that kept you on the edge of your seat. We saw what happened when New Jersey played a team that actually forechecked the following year. It actually led to a pretty good Cup final. Dallas beating Colorado in either one of 1999 or 2000 was the worst thing that hockey needed at that time.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:12 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
time to drop the gloves on this one............

seriously, I am a Leaf fan second and a hockey fan first. I haven't missed the Stanley Cup final since I was a boy and wasn't going to miss it in 2000 either. So I wasn't sore two weeks after the Leafs got knocked out even. Jersey was the better team, however if there were two teams that sure didn't complement each other it was the Devils and Stars at that time

It was at the height of the clutch and grab era with two teams who played a patient game. I suppose the Devils may have played a slightly more exciting game than the Stars. But I don't know if that says much.

The thing is you'd have to put together a highlight package for that series. On face value that wasn't really an exciting series that kept you on the edge of your seat. We saw what happened when New Jersey played a team that actually forechecked the following year. It actually led to a pretty good Cup final. Dallas beating Colorado in either one of 1999 or 2000 was the worst thing that hockey needed at that time.
I guess you can remember it how you like. Big scheme of things those series' did nothing to hurt the game. Saying it was the worst thing hockey needed is probably an exaggeration. If you ask me, the Wings-Caps series previous was likely far less exciting.

I think people just make assumptions rather than watch. They think, "Sabres/Devils, Stars, Hasek, defense..." and think that it must have been boring. I'm gonna gues a lot of those people didn't watch much.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Czech Your Math

These were some series which started relatively close, but where one team came from behind and completely took charge in the latter part of the series. The 2003 series is remembered well, but would appreciate anyone who can she some light on the series from the early '90s.

1991 Detroit-St.Louis: Detroit was up 3-1 with 17-12 edge in goals, then St. Louis won the last 3 by a combined 12-3.

1992 Vancouver-Winnipeg: Winnipeg was up 3-1 with 12-8 edge in goals, then Vancouver won last 3 by combined 21-5.

1993: St. Louis-Toronto: St. Louis was up 2-1 with 7-6 edge in goals, then Toronto won 3/4 by combined 16-4.

2003: Minnesota-Vancouver: Vancouver was up 3-1 with 12-10 edge in goals, then Minnesota won last 3 by a combined 16-5.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:02 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Oh, man, I thought the 2001 Finals were much less entertaining...

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:23 AM
mrhockey193195

I'm very partial to the 2000 cup finals. I know a bunch of people ***** and moan about "clutch and grab" hockey and no excitement, but I personally loved it. So much intensity, so much work required to score a goal. Both teams left it all on the line.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote