HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 10:39 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yes. Surprised there was no mention of this. Hope Bergy is looking. Having Diaz out and finally seeing how important he is to the back-end shows how thin the depth in D is.

Based on what Lebrun said, Troy Brouwer could be a target...he fits the bill. Strong top 9 forward with a decent two-way game, a little chippy as well. Add to that Washington's place in the standings.
I'd rather have some kind of Bryan Allen, or possibly a faster version of Bryan Allen, instead.

I mean, Brouwer wouldn't be bad. He can finish than Prust, who would be relegated to 4th line duties, unless MT does something really stupid with Galchenyuk or Eller.

On the other hand, I think Ryan White really deserves to play.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Habsrule

Even though the Habs have stockpiled picks for this draft I do not want them to be traded unless we are able to get a player in return who will be under contract for a few years to come.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Andy

Another player is Derek Doresett. He's very similar to Prust. Good hustle, doesn't stop. But they love him in Columbus.

Based on the profile, guys that fit the bill

Brouwer
Kopecky
Doresett
Foligno
Ryan Jones

Seems like Bergevin wants a chippy forward with some size and a little offensive flair. I am limiting myself to basement teams right now.

Last edited by Andy: 03-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The trade was unnecessary and poorly timed. You know the next 2 years of Coles contract is going to be bad do you? Hand me your crystal ball, I bet you were one of the many saying it was a terrible signing in the first place and then he scored 35goals and you vanished right?

Cole is the better player and now wasn't the time to move him and disrupt the team while he is turning his game around. We needed all the physical players we can get and ryder brings none of that.
I don't think we needed to move Cole, I agree with that. I also don't get why Ryder was our target.
But I understand why it was done. This was a clear cap space move, and Bergevin said as he got hired that this turnaround process won't happen overnight. So I think Bergevin is a lot more levelheaded. He figured Cole will decline (that's his gamble, but you a gamble happens in every trade), so moving him, creating cap space for possibly grabbing a bigger UFA this summer is maybe more important to him than do great this year.
We have to wait to see if it really was the best move. If this helps us create room for a guy like Perry, I don't think you'll mind it much.

But I agree, if we just look at the trade now, it doesn't make much sense. We were finally happy to have power forwards on our team.
Bourque being injured doesn't help either.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:45 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
Even though the Habs have stockpiled picks for this draft I do not want them to be traded unless we are able to get a player in return who will be under contract for a few years to come.
Well look, there is no tanking this season, so all those picks are going to be pretty far. Except for maybe their 1st & the highest 2nd they think they can get, they might as well trade them if they can go all the way right?

They're not going to waste this perfect opportunity to get another great 1st, just to get kicked out of the playoffs after round 1. I hope.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yes. Surprised there was no mention of this. Hope Bergy is looking. Having Diaz out and finally seeing how important he is to the back-end shows how thin the depth in D is.

Based on what Lebrun said, Troy Brouwer could be a target...he fits the bill. Strong top 9 forward with a decent two-way game, a little chippy as well. Add to that Washington's place in the standings.

Ryan Clowe seems to be slowing down as well. I think people want what Clowe used to be.

Maybe Thomas Kopecky? Good size. Can be pretty chippy. A cup winner. Not saying I want him, but he fits the profile the habs are after.
Kopecky/Brouwer would both make sense given the Blackhawk ties to MB (assuming he was a fan), but then I struggle to see where they fit into our top-9...

MaxPac - Galch - Prust
Gionta - Gally - Ryder
Bourque

Gally/Galch/MaxPac are definitely not moving.

Can't see either the Caps/Panthers having much interest in a lateral swap for Ryder or Bourque, and I can't see us moving Gionta for either of them (from either side).

I suppose he could find a taker somewhere else for Ryder, with pick(s)/prospect(s) coming the other way, and then moving some package of picks for Brouwer/Kopecy (or whoever else they have in mind).

would actually be quite the coup if they could move Ryder for a 1st, and then package a 2nd & 3rd for Brouwer/Kopecky... would end up being Cole for Brouwer/Kopecky & moving up from 2nd to 1st

Old
03-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Kopecky/Brouwer would both make sense given the Blackhawk ties to MB (assuming he was a fan), but then I struggle to see where they fit into our top-9...

MaxPac - Galch - Prust
Gionta - Gally - Ryder
Bourque

Gally/Galch/MaxPac are definitely not moving.

Can't see either the Caps/Panthers having much interest in a lateral swap for Ryder or Bourque, and I can't see us moving Gionta for either of them (from either side).
I agree, the top 9 is just completely full when Bourque comes back.

Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher
Bourque Plekanec Gionta
Galchenyuk Eller Ryder
Prust White Moen/Armstrong

I really don't see a fit. I also I have no problem with the forward group that the team currently has. The defense really needs help. Loss of Diaz is really hurting right now. We need a stabling presence back there to take Boullion's spot. A solid minute eater. Mark Stuart would be ideal to add some size and physicality. Doubt Winnipeg lets him go short of an overpayment. If I'm not mistaken, Dudley was GM was Atlanta acquired Stuart. Some connection there.

Last edited by Andy: 03-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old
03-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Why trade when you can get Perry this summer ?

Old
03-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Noob616

Quote:
The trade was unnecessary and poorly timed. You know the next 2 years of Coles contract is going to be bad do you? Hand me your crystal ball, I bet you were one of the many saying it was a terrible signing in the first place and then he scored 35goals and you vanished right?
I didn't post here until recently but I post on the official habs forum and I was thrilled with the signing. It was pretty clear at the time it was signed that the first 2 years were where most of the value would be, and we'd worry about the last 2 years later. Cole plays a tough, physical style, and he's 34 years old. Power forwards have trouble keeping up that style of play in their 30's, let alone at age 35 and 36 (in a shrinking cap being paid 4.5M). We all knew at the time of his signing that the last couple years were going to be rough. I loved what he did last year, and I wish it continued this year (and I hope for his sake that it does continue in Dallas), but it was really starting to look like the regression had happened before the last couple years. Bergevin made a proactive move, and traded a slumping player on a big contract for a similarly productive (over their careers) player on an expiring contract. How will you feel if we go out and sign Corey Perry/Ryan Getzlaf this summer because we have the cap space with Cole gone?

Quote:
hockeyfan is still butthurt cammy got a swift kick in the ass and hasn't let it go. He has a soft spot for that useless floater.
Useless floater? Not so sure about useless but I'll give you floater. I wasn't against trading Cammalleri (although I'm not sure the return was great), he has a good skill set but he and his contract needed to be moved and I'm not upset he's gone. However, with him gone there's been a lack of a sniper on the roster, and with Bourque playing well this year, as well as Pacioretty, Gallagher, Gionta, and Prust in our top 9 and willing to drive the net Cole wasn't needed as much as in year 1 of his contract. We got out of the last 2 years at 4.5M per year contract for a guy who is going to be 35 and 36 during them.

Quote:
Cole is the better player and now wasn't the time to move him and disrupt the team while he is turning his game around. We needed all the physical players we can get and ryder brings none of that.
I agree with you, Cole is the better player (although it's really not all that big of a difference), but the contract was really starting to become a concern, and we needed a sniper on the PP. I understand the desire to be more physical but Erik Cole is not the difference between us being a playoff team and a cup contender. Neither is Ryder, but moving Cole for Ryder gives us the flexibility to make some moves to maybe be a cup contender pretty soon.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Cupmonger

The only spots I see Bergie going for. Is to improve the 4th line. This isn't a knock on them. It's more of "always being able to find better for the role" mentality.

Bergie traded Cole to make salary space. Ryder also is producing point wise and I find that he personally has more grit and physical game than people give him credit. Anyways... Cole was liked in the room. And this may have unbalanced things as far as chemistry goes. Fortunately enough, it's early enough for the team to make up for for such a disturbance. Now, if you want to trade for a top scorer or a top D. You're going to have something in those lines back. Unless you trade with a team that's definitely not making the playoffs, in which case you give picks, plenty of them. And this year's draft is supposedly really deep...

So, if you don't want to screw with things that work and you don't want to mortgage the future. You go for easier acquirable players. The 4th trio and the 6th pairing are those areas. Can we find improvement there? Absolutely. Will it cost us multiple picks? Nope, unlike a star player. Obviously, this isn't valid if Bergie intends on incredibly stacking the team for a playoff run.

Old
03-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Why trade when you can get Perry this summer ?
Look, we all know Perry grew up a Habs fan and that he said he won't re-sign with the Ducks. That doesn't really mean much. People change their minds. Also, there are plenty of players who will sign with teams that aren't those they grew up to revere. He'll most probably go to the highest bidder. And there will be a lot of teams that will have plenty of cap space, more than we'll have. We have 1 amnesty buyout, some still have both. Some even enough to sign both Getzlaf and Perry. Both have played together for many years. They might want to stick together.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Garry Valk

Ryan Clowe would be a fantastic add.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:31 AM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
we asbolutely need to upgrade our D, even with Diaz back I'm not in love with Bouillon having such a large role, nevermind Kaberle or Weber seeing any ice at all. we need size back there as much as at forward IMO.

if we could somehow work out a trade with San Jose for both Clowe and Murray (or another of their d, they are pretty deep there and have plenty of size) I would be ecstatic.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Apparently Boyle is not getting the job done this season. Moen for Boyle would be great and Boyle and Prust are great friends.
It's like Clowe...Boyle too slow for our style

Old
03-06-2013, 01:42 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
Within reason. We have 6 picks in the first three rounds. It would not kill us to spend one third rounder on a strong rental if we are still contending on April 3rd. But not a Moen type when SJ got him from Anaheim. I mean a guy who could really contribute either offence or defence in a bigger way, and you still have 5 picks, and all of your top 4.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:43 AM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

I just want Armstrong in the pressbox.

Don't see why people think Moen and Bouillon need replacing. Moen has been great in a 4th line role and Bouillon has been unreal for what he's paid.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
we asbolutely need to upgrade our D, even with Diaz back I'm not in love with Bouillon having such a large role, nevermind Kaberle or Weber seeing any ice at all. we need size back there as much as at forward IMO.

if we could somehow work out a trade with San Jose for both Clowe and Murray (or another of their d, they are pretty deep there and have plenty of size) I would be ecstatic.
How solid would the Habs blue line be with Mcdonagh?

Just imagine how a 6 man squad composed of Subban, McDonagh, Diaz, Gorges, Tinordi and Beaulieu in 3 year would feel. Add Emelin four our 7th d-man

Old
03-06-2013, 01:48 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post

I think this is great. Let's keep on dissing Kaberle while he quietly goes out and does a good job game after game.

It will confuse our opponents who will see the fanbase blasting Kabs so they don't keep an eye on him too much and ....boom, another assist at ES!

Old
03-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
much bigger need to add a big physical defensive dman to bump Bouillion to the #7 spot imo.

in the top-9, adding a more physical top-9 guy is fine, as long as he's as/more skilled than whomever he replaces... which is next to impossible to do via trade.

Clarkson or Perry would be ideal candidates, but both better to target as UFA's then in trade. Clowe? haven't seen him enough this year, but the indications that he's as slow as molasses doesn't inspire confidence.

not sure whom else they would target?
I wonder if Smid is on the market, he's an upcoming UFA and I'd love to have him.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I think this is great. Let's keep on dissing Kaberle while he quietly goes out and does a good job game after game.

It will confuse our opponents who will see the fanbase blasting Kabs so they don't keep an eye on him too much and ....boom, another assist at ES!
Markov - Emelin
Subban - Diaz
Karbele - Gorges

Could be a good top 6 for playoff. But in case of injuries, we are fukt. Acquiring a stay at home, defensive expert at the blue line would be gold.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:08 AM
No Team Needed

I could see the Canadiens calling up Calgary for Blake Comeau or Steve Begin. Begin would be another member of the Canadiens Reunion Tour

However, the guy who makes a lot of sense to me is Ryan Jones. Size, heart, good locker room guy, hear he's a class act and a coach's player. Just the kind of guy Therrien would want suiting up in the post-season.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I could see the Canadiens calling up Calgary for Blake Comeau or Steve Begin. Begin would be another member of the Canadiens Reunion Tour

However, the guy who makes a lot of sense to me is Ryan Jones. Size, heart, good locker room guy, hear he's a class act and a coach's player. Just the kind of guy Therrien would want suiting up in the post-season.
No way Oilers trade Jones. He is like their offensive Prust, everybody loves him.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:15 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
No way Oilers trade Jones. He is like their offensive Prust, everybody loves him.
He's a UFA and speculation is he wants to be paid. I don't see Jones staying in Edmonton like Prust didn't stay in New York. And unlike NY last season, Edmonton isn't in a playoff spot.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
He's a UFA and speculation is he wants to be paid. I don't see Jones staying in Edmonton like Prust didn't stay in New York. And unlike NY last season, Edmonton isn't in a playoff spot.
Would take him in my teamanytime, but at what cost? no way we get him for Weber or Moen 1vs1, Oilers are gonna ask a lot more and I'm sure MTL would not be the only interested team in the NHL.

maybe a Weber or prospect+pick package... even that i doubt

Old
03-06-2013, 02:31 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
Would take him in my teamanytime, but at what cost? no way we get him for Weber or Moen 1vs1, Oilers are gonna ask a lot more and I'm sure MTL would not be the only interested team in the NHL.

maybe a Weber or prospect+pick package... even that i doubt
That's the thing about playoff runs. When you want someone that's going to make your team better, you have to be willing to pay for it. Do you want Montreal to be better in the playoffs or not?

Closed Thread