HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jori Lehtera (Update: Re-signed with Sibir for 2 years)

Old
03-06-2013, 03:26 AM
Oshie97

vCash: 500
We are really jumping the gun thinking he can come over and help this season. if he played wing maybe but at center he would need to learn our system which he wouldn't have time to do. KHL is a completely different animal compared to the NHL, just because Tarasenko looked good does not mean Lehtera will be able to adjust to the smaller, faster, more physical game.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:51 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
We are really jumping the gun thinking he can come over and help this season. if he played wing maybe but at center he would need to learn our system which he wouldn't have time to do. KHL is a completely different animal compared to the NHL, just because Tarasenko looked good does not mean Lehtera will be able to adjust to the smaller, faster, more physical game.
Adding him can't hurt though. He won't be at his best because he will have to make adjustments but he is still a playmaking, 6'2, 210lbs centre that has won over 55% of his faceoffs in the KHL and has been playing. Expecting Lehterä to be a game-changer immediately would be expecting too much.

If he is totally out of his depth then we find that out now rather than next season. Arnott might be used to the NA game, but he is just a warm body at this point. Lehterä might provide a little of what we are missing. If he could do that, it might be as effective as a trade.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:51 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Nobody assumes he can help this season. But what's the risk of coming over now that his season is done and skating with the team in practice? If he isn't ready, he gets a clear idea of what he has to improve in the summer (and also gets a dose of reality about being promised an NHL spot automatically), and if he is ready then it's a fortunate prospect callup.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:53 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Tweeted during game ...
@jprutherford

Here's the latest on 2008 3rd-rounder Jori Lehtera: His season in Russia has ended. #stlblues will be in contact with him about his future.
This could be good news on the Lehtera front. Right now would be the perfect time for him to make his transition. Nothing has been set in stone with Arnott yet so perhaps they were/are waiting to see what Lehtera's plans are. Hopefully he gets his *** over here sooner rather then later.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:49 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
This could be good news on the Lehtera front. Right now would be the perfect time for him to make his transition. Nothing has been set in stone with Arnott yet so perhaps they were/are waiting to see what Lehtera's plans are. Hopefully he gets his *** over here sooner rather then later.
Question on my end. I know Lehtera is a draft pick and property in name playing overseas in the KHL, would Lehtera have to clear waivers to join the Blues this season?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Question on my end. I know Lehtera is a draft pick and property in name playing overseas in the KHL, would Lehtera have to clear waivers to join the Blues this season?
I think he's still an RFA, so no.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
No, the rules changed with the new CBA. Previously any player who had played in Europe after the NHL season had started had to pass through waivers. Under the new CBA, RFA (which Lehterä is) are waiver exempt.

Ryan O'Reilly played in the KHL after the NHL season started and did not have to clear waivers to play for the Avs. The same would apply if we can sign Lehterä in the coming days.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:41 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
No, the rules changed with the new CBA. Previously any player who had played in Europe after the NHL season had started had to pass through waivers. Under the new CBA, RFA (which Lehterä is) are waiver exempt.

Ryan O'Reilly played in the KHL after the NHL season started and did not have to clear waivers to play for the Avs. The same would apply if we can sign Lehterä in the coming days.
Thank you.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Andrey Osadchenko, Russian reporter says he hasn't heard anything regarding Lehtera joining the Blues.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Andrey Osadchenko, Russian reporter says he hasn't heard anything regarding Lehtera joining the Blues.
Is he reliable or does he feed the KHL like Khavanov regarding Tarasenko? I wasn't expecting to hear anything so soon anyway.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Is he reliable or does he feed the KHL like Khavanov regarding Tarasenko? I wasn't expecting to hear anything so soon anyway.
He is usually pretty knowledgable. I shot him a tweet this morning and asked him if he has heard anything about Lehtera coming over now that Sibir was eliminated.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Alklha

Not really surprising. Even if the Blues are pursuing this, they would only have made contact with Lehterä/Sibir after the Kings game last night at the very earliest.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

I have seen it in the threads a couple places that Blues have to deal with the Czech league before Lehtera will be free to come over. Would someone mind explaining this further for me? My apologies, I'm not at all knowledgeable on the business side of hockey and was wondering what the problem was.

Fluff Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Honeycutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff Master View Post
I have seen it in the threads a couple places that Blues have to deal with the Czech league before Lehtera will be free to come over. Would someone mind explaining this further for me? My apologies, I'm not at all knowledgeable on the business side of hockey and was wondering what the problem was.
Jaskin in the prospect that needs to be released by his Czeck team before he can sign his ELC.

Lehtera is a blues RFA that has been playing in the KHL. It is believed he has an out in KHL contract to allow him to come over to NA. His season has just finished but his contract does not end until April. He may be able to buy out of his contract and join the Blues this year.

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
Jaskin in the prospect that needs to be released by his Czeck team before he can sign his ELC.

Lehtera is a blues RFA that has been playing in the KHL. It is believed he has an out in KHL contract to allow him to come over to NA. His season has just finished but his contract does not end until April. He may be able to buy out of his contract and join the Blues this year.
Oops. Wrong guy, wrong thread, just all kinds of wrong. I made a boo-boo, but thanks for explaining that for me.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:03 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff Master View Post
Oops. Wrong guy, wrong thread, just all kinds of wrong. I made a boo-boo, but thanks for explaining that for me.
Just to prevent future confusion I thought I would add just because a season is over does not mean a players contract is over. For example all NHL contract end on June 30 of whatever year. Contracts do not end when the team is eliminated. That is why for some prospects you would need permission from the league/team before the player can come over

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 08:18 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
Just to prevent future confusion I thought I would add just because a season is over does not mean a players contract is over. For example all NHL contract end on June 30 of whatever year. Contracts do not end when the team is eliminated. That is why for some prospects you would need permission from the league/team before the player can come over
At least the KHL and NHL have been on better relations lately. If Lehtera tells Sibir that he won't return, I think they would release him to us. Also, if Lehtera decides to test the free agent market in Russia, I'd imagine that one of the top teams in Russia would go after him.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Fluff Master
Registered n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh724 View Post
Quote:
At least the KHL and NHL have been on better relations lately. If Lehtera tells Sibir that he won't return, I think they would release him to us. Also, if Lehtera decides to test the free agent market in Russia, I'd imagine that one of the top teams in Russia would go after him.
This is great information, you guys all seem to be in the know. I'm trying to get better educated on it all, it's slow going but still going. So many ins and outs and these talented prospects have options, I find it all very intriguing.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

So the updates are:

Lehtera wants to play in the NHL. Not a big surprise, but at least it confirms his desires.

Apparently Strickland believes that the Blues won't pressure him to play in the AHL, so he could have a spot like Tarasenko had. This all depends on who his source is, but Strickland has been better on these types of topics lately IMO.

Lehtera can opt out of his contract after April 30, making it not till next season that we'd see him in a Blues jersey.

We hold his rights till he is 27, so it is likely that he will either play for us or we get some value for him. He is 25 btw.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:55 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Wow, good news. Maybe he'll have an opt out clause that lets him go back to Europe if he doesn't want to play in the AHL.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Potential lineup:

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Berglund-Stewart
Steen-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Nichol-Reaves

Jackman-Pietrangelo
Cole/trade/UFA-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Halak
Allen

Save $9.15 with McDonald, Langenbrunner, D'Agostini, and Elliott gone.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
InjuredChoker

How reliable Strickland usually is?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
How reliable Strickland usually is?
He's as good as his sources, and the only thing that could be considered a Stickland opinion is about Lehtera and the minors. It makes sense that we wouldn't pressure him to play in the AHL because if we sign him, it won't be for league minimum, so we'd be wasting that money in the minors. He's 25 and has been playing in the next best league, so he should be able to handle the physicality.

Cajanek could be considered a decent comparison on how he came over and went straight to the NHL at 27. Honestly, I'd be happy if Lehtera puts up similar production to Cajanek, 40-50 points would be great.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
I think bringing in Lehtera would also help Tarasenko with his progress by bringing over a friendly face and feel a little bit more comfortable. Also I think Lehtera could be the perfect 3rd line C. I don't expect him to ever put up any more points than say 45-50 but I also wouldn't be disappointed either.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Alklha

Quote:
So the updates are:

Lehtera wants to play in the NHL. Not a big surprise, but at least it confirms his desires.

Apparently Strickland believes that the Blues won't pressure him to play in the AHL, so he could have a spot like Tarasenko had. This all depends on who his source is, but Strickland has been better on these types of topics lately IMO.

Lehtera can opt out of his contract after April 30, making it not till next season that we'd see him in a Blues jersey.

We hold his rights till he is 27, so it is likely that he will either play for us or we get some value for him. He is 25 btw.
Nothing new there. He clearly stated he wanted to play in the NHL a couple of months ago, standard that you can only opt out at the end of a contract year (contracts run until April 30 in the KHL) and the no AHL is pretty obvious because he'll only sign a 1-way contract.

We should be trying to get him over this season though, get a look at him and know where we stand. He can't use his opt-out until May, but Sibir can release him. It would make sense that they wouldn't want to burn bridges in case he went back to the KHL.