HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injured Players Thread (3/6: Staal Out Indefinitely; Not Career Threatening)

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Khelvan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
I've never played the game of hockey WITHOUT a full shield or cage. If every player were expected to do so from the moment they began playing hockey, as is the case in most leagues, this would be a non-issue. There would be no "discomfort" at all, and if the wearing of visors/cages/shields prevented just ONE injury over the years, wouldn't that be worth it? Given that, if all players coming into the league had to wear them, no one ever became accustomed to going without, thus there is absolutely no cost to doing so?

Old
03-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

saw this on another board, dunno if it was posted here

hopefully that's a shadow and not the puck on his eye

poll on the main boards: visor mandatory or not and gives option of mandatory with a grandfather clause for those already in the league playing without one and that's def a better idea than forcing it now

Old
03-06-2013, 03:05 AM
blueshirtbolt

i've never worn a visor before, never will. haven't been hit with a puck or stick - yet - i know it will sooner or later but i'll deal with it there and then lol i've a huge head and any visor seems to make helmets fit wierd.

if staal misses any time how about calling up mcilrath?!

Old
03-06-2013, 03:10 AM
nyrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
I've never played the game of hockey WITHOUT a full shield or cage. If every player were expected to do so from the moment they began playing hockey, as is the case in most leagues, this would be a non-issue. There would be no "discomfort" at all, and if the wearing of visors/cages/shields prevented just ONE injury over the years, wouldn't that be worth it? Given that, if all players coming into the league had to wear them, no one ever became accustomed to going without, thus there is absolutely no cost to doing so?

I think it should be mandatory. Any time it was optional in any of my leagues, I've always broken something (nose - multiple times, orbital bone, teeth, whatever). There was no way I would play with one if I had a choice, even if I saw my friends get their eyesight damaged. I know it's stupid, but it's just ingrained in you from when you are little.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:10 AM
YogiCanucks

Really hope Staal is okay. I don't want any player to go through another eye injury (a la Manny Malhotra in 2011). I'm sure the NYR will do anything and everything in their power to help Marc on and off the ice.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:44 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
If I were an NHL team owner I would want mandatory visors because one errant puck can mean losing a valuable asset forever for nothing.

99.9% of me is reacting to this with concern for this man's health. 0.1% of me is pissed off because this wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been too macho to wear a visor.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:50 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

there's a reason that everybody isn't running around in full kevlar body suits. it's not 100% about being macho, a lot of it is about comfort. if a guy's skating around all day trying to play with a glare or foggy visor he's not going to play as well. i'm for mandatory visors, but idk... i never had to play with one

Old
03-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Ola

This is the injury thread, isn't it better to discuss visor issues in a seprate thread?

Hank says this to Aftonbladet:
Quote:
Presumably a bone in his face was broken, it looked like that from his nose and eye as he stood up.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16362569.ab

I guess that the nose isn't that big of a worry. But the orbital bone (not 100% I use the correct en word? The bone under/around the eye) is usually in danger in these type of situations. That's about 3-4 weeks right? (if there is no concussion/actual damage to the eye)

Last edited by Ola: 03-06-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 05:25 AM
Clown Baby

If Hasek can play goal with his cage at his previous level, and Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin can play at their level with visors, there's no reason for everyone else to not skate with full visors. They need to be made mandatory (with a grandfather clause) immediately.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:34 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
This is the injury thread, isn't it better to discuss visor issues in a seprate thread?

Hank says this to Aftonbladet:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16362569.ab

I guess that the nose isn't that big of a worry. But the orbital bone (not 100% I use the correct en word? The bone under/around the eye) is usually in danger in these type of situations. That's about 3-4 weeks right? (if there is no concussion/actual damage to the eye)
idk that we can assume breakage yet or not... the picture def helps the theory, but it could just be swelling or w/e... let's just hope he pulls a girardi and it's just a bone bruise or something

also-- yes, you are correct. that is the orbital bone. time frame is going to have a lot to do with the extent of the injury and this is going to be one of those where we can't even fathom a guess because of where he got hit. he might be lucky and just have a small chip

Old
03-06-2013, 05:49 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

That looked pretty awful - only real glimmer of hope is that it was deflected. I'm on board with the mandatory shields because all of these guys have worn cages and shields their entire careers up until the NHL (for the most part). Grandfather it and get it over with. A cage/sheild can be a pain in the ass to play with, but you get used to it.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If safety is your biggest concern, visors should just be skipped all together and the NHL should enforce full-cages. That's the only way you're going to completely protect the players faces.

Why isn't anyone that's pro-visors suggesting this?
I would love to see both NHLers and juniors wearing full cages. Not only will it protect against all sorts of cuts, bruises, eye damage, broken teeth....but they can also absorb some of the impact from dirty hits from behind into the boards and any other play where a player goes face first into anything (goalpost, into another player, into the boards, etc).

It makes the most about of sense. Too bad there are still too many dinosaurs left in the game who try too hard to act like walking around with a half dozen missing teeth somehow makes someone tough. Sorry kids, but it doesn't. It means you were too slow to get out of the way and too stupid to use the protection that exists.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:13 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
This is an INJURY THREAD. It's not here to discuss player safety or the benefits and drawbacks of mandating visors. Take that discussion somewhere else.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers have a day off today. There won't be any news today. The Rangers won't be on the ice until tomorrow morning in Uniondale.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
SlapshotTheMovie

I heard he posted a picture of the eye last night after the game. Anyone see it? I cant find it currently.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:59 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I think hell be fine regarding the swelling and all, just have to hope no broken orbital bones or direct eye damage (though when slowed down you can see it hit his brow, then his cheek)

Also have to worry about a concussion, which is something we may not know about, even at this stage. I would guess hes going to be out at least until Sunday at the very minimum.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Team will have to step up like they did last year. Though not having Sauer to log minutes definitely makes things more difficult.

Above all though, just really hoping Staal's vision is ok. Scary stuff.

03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

I believe he will be fine, that could have been a career ender, scary coincidence, Barry Ashbee's career ended in that same faceoff circle, on a Dale Rolfe slapshot directly to his eye in '74

Old
03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
nevesis

“@KatieStrangESPN: $NYR No update yet on Marc Staal, who left game Tuesday after taking puck to the eye. He did not go to the hospital last night”

Old
03-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
“@KatieStrangESPN: $NYR No update yet on Marc Staal, who left game Tuesday after taking puck to the eye. He did not go to the hospital last night”
Thats good news

Old
03-06-2013, 08:34 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
Definitely a good sign that it was something that the trainers could handle/could wait until today to address more thoroughly.

RANGERS =
Old
03-06-2013, 08:35 AM
nevesis

Swelling is massive the day after, xray's were done immediately im sure and hopefully revealed no break. If his orbital bone was shattered, he would be in surgery right now.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

No hospital visit should be excellent news.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:40 AM
dethomas07

No hospital visit is deff real good.. prob/hopefully bad bad bruise and stitches... im sure he'll be out a few game of course..but get well soon staal, well miss you out there!!

Old
03-06-2013, 08:43 AM
NYROrtsFan

Exactly...
No hospital visit is as good of news as you can get.

Think it was pretty clear that there was no concussion, the big worry was definitely damage to the eye.

Closed Thread