HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Bryz was bad. The team was bad.

In short, both were bad.

03-06-2013, 12:05 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
That Nash GWG from the side boards was Fkin atrocious.

Might have been his worst goal against thus far this year.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:14 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
That Nash GWG from the side boards was Fkin atrocious.

Might have been his worst goal against thus far this year.
i know you don't want to believe it, but that is a difficult world class play to come in with that speed and go far post.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:18 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For those possibly thinking of still buying him out or doing something else with him to get him off the team, who else is there to replace him? Luongo would take too much, plus his contract is bigger. Trying to get Allen or Lehner away? Both would probably take too much as well. Lehner is basically the future for Ottawa and I could see Allen be the future for the Blues.
It doesn't matter. We can't eat this contract for 7 years. The style of hockey we play doesn't remotely fit this goalie. He's not athletic at all.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:18 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
i know you don't want to believe it, but that is a difficult world class play to come in with that speed and go far post.
Im not taking anything away from Nash. He did what he had to do to make the goal possible.

But as far as quality scoring chances, that is about as low as it gets. That needed to be stopped and Bryz didnt stop it. Hell he didnt even look ready for the shot.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:21 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Im not taking anything away from Nash. He did what he had to do to make the goal possible.

But as far as quality scoring chances, that is about as low as it gets. That needed to be stopped and Bryz didnt stop it. Hell he didnt even look ready for the shot.
he probably wasnt, most guys can't hit that. The 2nd Callahan goal was crazy too, awesome play by him.

Bryzgalov is a total percentages goalie, anytime it breaks down he's in trouble.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
It doesn't matter. We can't eat this contract for 7 years. The style of hockey we play doesn't remotely fit this goalie. He's not athletic at all.
There's an article in the Business forum that says GMs are meeting (or will meet, I forget) to discuss reducing goaltender pad size. For someone who relies so much on positioning and size, I can see that having a very adverse effect on Bryz. He's good athletically when he's on fire...but only when he's on fire. And we haven't seen him maintain that for more than 2-3 weeks in an entire season...although he is probably worn out already this year.

If they decide to scale back some goalie equipment drastically I think it's very unlikely Bryz will be anywhere close to worth his cap hit, based on what I've seen of him so far.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Whinks

Send a message via AIM to Whinks
Bryzgalov has to have the worst hockey sense of any goalie in the league. Him squirming around on all fours in the crease anytime someone cuts in front of the net or does a wrap around is getting old. The weak goals just continue to pile up. I've finally come to the conclusion that we are not gonna get anywhere with this guy.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:37 AM
TheLegendkiller

Yo this board is annoying as **** when we lose a game.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:09 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

It pretty much comes down to two things.

We either rid of Bryz and continue our search or we make a major shift and become a defensive team by trading some key pieces for basically a Weber or Weber like return.

Either way its obvious Bryz can not thrive in the current system where he routinely is expected to.bail out the team 3-4 times per night.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:21 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
It pretty much comes down to two things.

We either rid of Bryz and continue our search or we make a major shift and become a defensive team by trading some key pieces for basically a Weber or Weber like return.

Either way its obvious Bryz can not thrive in the current system where he routinely is expected to.bail out the team 3-4 times per night.
We already tried being a defensive team with Hitchcock. That didn't work at all. The teams wouldn't score enough goals to win games. We need a moderate system between the 2 extremes of attack oriented and defensive oriented and have one that dictates play in all 3 zones. Given no other choice I would rather have an attack system than a defensive one. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

Speaking of Weber, when we made the Forsberg trade with Nashville, could we have gotten Weber at that time instead of Ryan Parent? If that happened we would still have a #1 now. The Pronger trade might have never happened either.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:22 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Yo this board is annoying as **** when we lose a game.
So are people dismissing legitimate concerns. Bryz hasn't been good for the past 10 games or so (maybe the Sens game, but he let in that softie and was the lesser goalie in that game), he's started letting in his usual soft goals, and the Rangers game last night was a perfect example of it finally biting us in the ass. People can make excuses, but an elite, or even just good, goaltender doesn't let all 3 of the Rangers last 3 goals in. Like Giroux said in his post-game interview, those goals deflate a team and rob them of any momentum. Bryz tends to be a momentum killer.

He's been letting in bad goals like this since he arrived, but a lot of the time it's been like the Sens game (a bad goal but still able to pull out a win), or we just outscore Bryz's softies, or we're playing so bad it doesn't matter cause something was bound to go in anyway (ironically, Bryz seems to play his best when the rest of the team doesn't show up. Unfortunately, they never seem to be able to convert those efforts by Bryz into wins).

Not saying Bryz is always at fault, the team leaves him out to dry A LOT. But I don't think one person in here doesn't feel the dread of an impending goal when anyone gets any kind of open space in front of Bryz with the puck. Guy is garbage 1-on-1 and pretty damn bad on the odd-man rushes too. All too often he just makes terrible decisions, like poke checks last night, or how he usually overcommits to the puck-carrier or first move. Or even like Nash's first goal, guy didn't even react. How many times have we seen that?

I've been a Bryz apologist in the past, I've always thought he just needed time to find his groove and the flashes of brilliance we've seen would start to become commonplace. Unfortunately, the soft goals and bad decisions don't seem to be going away, and he's not the consistent goaltender we've needed and can rely on. It's too bad we let Bob go, I'd be about ready to buy Bryz out. Maybe we should and make a move for someone like Bernier.

Bryz is too big a cap hit for his mediocre performances.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:30 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
So are people dismissing legitimate concerns. Bryz hasn't been good for the past 10 games or so (maybe the Sens game, but he let in that softie and was the lesser goalie in that game), he's started letting in his usual soft goals, and the Rangers game last night was a perfect example of it finally biting us in the ass. People can make excuses, but an elite, or even just good, goaltender doesn't let all 3 of the Rangers last 3 goals in. Like Giroux said in his post-game interview, those goals deflate a team and rob them of any momentum. Bryz tends to be a momentum killer.

He's been letting in bad goals like this since he arrived, but a lot of the time it's been like the Sens game (a bad goal but still able to pull out a win), or we just outscore Bryz's softies, or we're playing so bad it doesn't matter cause something was bound to go in anyway (ironically, Bryz seems to play his best when the rest of the team doesn't show up. Unfortunately, they never seem to be able to convert those efforts by Bryz into wins).

Not saying Bryz is always at fault, the team leaves him out to dry A LOT. But I don't think one person in here doesn't feel the dread of an impending goal when anyone gets any kind of open space in front of Bryz with the puck. Guy is garbage 1-on-1 and pretty damn bad on the odd-man rushes too. All too often he just makes terrible decisions, like poke checks last night, or how he usually overcommits to the puck-carrier or first move. Or even like Nash's first goal, guy didn't even react. How many times have we seen that?

I've been a Bryz apologist in the past, I've always thought he just needed time to find his groove and the flashes of brilliance we've seen would start to become commonplace. Unfortunately, the soft goals and bad decisions don't seem to be going away, and he's not the consistent goaltender we've needed and can rely on. It's too bad we let Bob go, I'd be about ready to buy Bryz out. Maybe we should and make a move for someone like Bernier.

Bryz is too big a cap hit for his mediocre performances.
This may be up to personal opinion but I really don't think we have any more defensive breakdowns than any other team in the NHL.

It just seems that way as the puck ends up in our net 9/10 of the time when it does happen.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:35 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
This may be up to personal opinion but I really don't think we have any more defensive breakdowns than any other team in the NHL.

It just seems that way as the puck ends up in our net 9/10 of the time when it does happen.
I think we have slightly more than the average team. But certainly not enough to explain that god awful save percentage.

Bryz has been small aside from a couple good stretches. He's not a top 15 goalie.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:39 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
ok, thx
Here's his 2 gems last night with Nash.

Callahan's from last night.

Not a 1 on 1 but he goes for the poke check here and gets abused.

Not breakaways but 1 on 1's none the less.

Second goal in the video. To his defense Hendricks makes a lot of goalies look dumb in shootouts but that poke check attempt was to hilarious to not include.

Common theme he goes for the poke check and misses almost every time on 1 on 1's.

Now I know some of these videos are defensive breakdown but it still shows how brutal he is on 1 on 1 situations.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-06-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 07:41 AM
MrHockey1982

Bryz has the absolute worst poke check I have ever seen. Is he actually trying when he goes for the poke check or is he undecided what he wants to do? Looks to me like he's not sure and that means a goal against.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:31 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Bryz has the absolute worst poke check I have ever seen. Is he actually trying when he goes for the poke check or is he undecided what he wants to do? Looks to me like he's not sure and that means a goal against.
Look at the video i posted from Hendricks last year. Funniest poke check attempt out of them all.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:35 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I agree that Bryz's poke is dreadful. I think pretty much every breakaway goal this season has resulted because of an errant poke check. The Huberdeau one is another one that immediately comes to mind. Anyone think that Reese can work with him to maybe tell him to just stop?

03-06-2013, 08:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I agree that Bryz's poke is dreadful. I think pretty much every breakaway goal this season has resulted because of an errant poke check. The Huberdeau one is another one that immediately comes to mind. Anyone think that Reese can work with him to maybe tell him to just stop?
It seems like he either goes for the poke check and misses or just stands there and gets sniped by the shooter. He's just really horrible at 1 on 1 situations.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
martz11

Quote:
It's so refreshing to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Flyers FB page is littered with Bryz homers and this is exactly what I've been trying to tell people.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:03 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Look at the video i posted from Hendricks last year. Funniest poke check attempt out of them all.

Horrendous. Has his poke check ever worked even once? I honestly can't recall one time where he's been able to poke the puck away and not get scored on.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:05 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Horrendous. Has his poke check ever worked even once? I honestly can't recall one time where he's been able to poke the puck away and not get scored on.
Not on a breakaway. I've seen his poke work in traffic situations where the shooter comes in on net through traffic. He's poked it away a few times in that situation. 1 on 1 however... no.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM
dawkins121

Never really realized how bad Bryz is at poke checks. Blocker side wrist shots, 1 on 1's, rebound control, puck handling, poke checks... what exactly does Bryz do well again?

Old
03-06-2013, 09:10 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Never really realized how bad Bryz is at poke checks. Blocker side wrist shots, 1 on 1's, rebound control, puck handling, poke checks... what exactly does Bryz do well again?
space exploration

Old
03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
bennysflyers16

Rangers had 8 scoring chances, and scored 4

Again, 2 saves and we get at least a loser point, pissed away so may points this year.

I am somewhat a Bryz defender, but he looked worse yest than Bryz of last year.

Closed Thread