HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player Safety Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2013, 07:27 AM
  #1
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
Player Safety Discussion

i like the idea of mandatory visors w/ a grandfather clause-- something allowing veterans(excluding ELCs) to bypass the rule or something

we already have the extra glove padding, why not take the full plunge? reasoning they put the behind the transition to extra glove padding is that it wasn't a major adjustment and that you barely noticed it. visor is definitely noticable and an adjustment, but most guys coming into the league already play with some form of protection

full shields/cages?

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:33 AM
  #2
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
I think it's inevitable that visors will be grandfathered in league-wide. I don't think it should be a league-wide rule though.

At the end of the day, individual player insurance most definitely accounts for the type of equipment (or lack thereof) that they wear. And the players are grown adults, they're aware of the risks they willingly take by not wearing one.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:41 AM
  #3
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,546
vCash: 500
the players are owner's investments though. it's not so clean cut.

if i choose not to wear my seat belt that's one thing... nobody invests millions of dollars in my health annually.

the team has 4 million dollars every year invested in staal. if staal has a career-ending injury that could be prevented, then we lose an extremely valuable roster spot that we have to fill.


also: out of curiosity why was this marked ot? isn't ot off-topic?

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:45 AM
  #4
towely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: new jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 1050
i think at this stage of the game with the size and speed of today's players and the rise in injuries that a full cage like in college and high school should mandatory.

every player has a cut, bruise or missing teeth on their face and it is the only part of their body that is not protected but yet gets injured often to all players.

you would think by now they would have changed that.

i also think it is time for some changes to the helmet. they need more padding like a nfl helmet and the chin strap needs to be kept snug so the helmet stays put and combine that with the full cage and it would eliminate a lot of needless injuries.

goalies use a cage and no one needs to see what is going on more then him and they do fine.
not using cages is more of a excuse and macho thing then anything else as well as the traditionalists don't like it and some rules would be effected like high sticking and as much as teams don't want to see anyone hurt they are not ready to lose the opportunity to get a power play or even a double minor if blood were drawn.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:48 AM
  #5
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
the players are owner's investments though. it's not so clean cut.

if i choose not to wear my seat belt that's one thing... nobody invests millions of dollars in my health annually.

the team has 4 million dollars every year invested in staal. if staal has a career-ending injury that could be prevented, then we lose an extremely valuable roster spot that we have to fill.


also: out of curiosity why was this marked ot? isn't ot off-topic?
Owners take out insurance policies on contracts for their players. They pay the premium, and the insurance company makes payouts in the event the player is unable to perform but is still due money. This is why owners were gung-ho about term limits this past CBA negotiation - premiums skyrocket when contracts extend past 7 years.

The insurance company sets the player premium based on a myriad of factors, no doubt including the probability of a career ending eye injury, which is a function of whether or not the player wears a visor.

But yeah, I wouldn't have any issue with owners of individual teams mandating players on their team wear a visor. Part of contract negotiation, etc.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
  #6
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,152
vCash: 873
Let the players choose.

How many shots are taken every game. How many high sticking incidents involve the eyes?

Lets look at this on a global scale and assess if this is really a problem.

I'd venture that the "issue" is less than a tenth of a percent. Most assuredly not one worth forcing players to wear visors.

I feel comfortable saying that it's not an issue.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:11 AM
  #7
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,434
vCash: 500
No doubt a shield would have saved Staal from injury, tough players wear shields too

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
  #8
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,636
vCash: 500
From pee wee to Juniors I wore a full mask or full Itech face shield. First year against men I wore just a helmet. I was switched to defense halfway through our season due to injuries, took a puck to the nose, broken for the 2nd time in my life. All I remember was watching the puck come at me in slow motion even though it was pretty fast in real time. Next thing i know I was on the ice writhing in pain like we saw with Staal last night. I was bleeding out both nostrils, knew it was broken. In those days no one examined you, just sat out two shifts and back out you went.

I wore a shield or full mask every game since.

Kinda think players who don't wear the best protection available cause its 'not comfortable' are idiots.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:35 AM
  #9
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Country: England
Posts: 3,831
vCash: 500
I'd ignore all the stick other players give me regarding facial protection. Wearing a cage is totally worth whatever ridicule you have to endure from "tougher" players. At least you get to keep your teeth and eyes.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:05 AM
  #10
egelband
Registered User
 
egelband's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: north finchley
Country: United States
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
after seeing that, i'm thinking the rangers better all wear visors. actually, the whole league should just do it. everyone will be at the same disadvantage...they'll figure it out. and 8 or 10 times a year a major facial injury will be avoided. i sympathize with the arguments against visors, but it just makes so much sense...particularly with the speed of the game today.

i'm for less equipment/weaponry in football...but i dont think a visor makes a hockey player more reckless like it does a football player. just my gut.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:54 AM
  #11
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 500
Meh yeah people that only wear full cages are the smart ones, lol.

Funny how those "smart" players are usually the dirtiest chippiest punks around.

I wore a half shield for years and got cut more from wearing that thing then when I wore no shield at all. I don't care if you wear a shield, dont wear a shield, it's your choice. I only make fun of the players that wear the full thing and skate around like punks. Otherwise, who cares.

It's one thing to make wearing a helmet mandatory. I think it's a whole other ballgame to make visors as well.

The only idiots are the ones advocating one or the other based on anecdotal evidence. Like I said, I got cut more when I had a visor on and that is verifiable. It doesn't make me right though.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 AM
  #12
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,425
vCash: 2810
Like I said on the main boards, why should it be up to the player? It should only be up to the player if players don't get paid when they're out with an eye injury.

__________________
++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<
-]>++++++.>+.+++++++++++++++.>+++++++++.<-.
>-------.<<-----.>----.>.<<+++++++++++.>-------------
-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
  #13
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Meh yeah people that only wear full cages are the smart ones, lol.

Funny how those "smart" players are usually the dirtiest chippiest punks around.

I wore a half shield for years and got cut more from wearing that thing then when I wore no shield at all. I don't care if you wear a shield, dont wear a shield, it's your choice. I only make fun of the players that wear the full thing and skate around like punks. Otherwise, who cares.

It's one thing to make wearing a helmet mandatory. I think it's a whole other ballgame to make visors as well.

The only idiots are the ones advocating one or the other based on anecdotal evidence. Like I said, I got cut more when I had a visor on and that is verifiable. It doesn't make me right though.
How often were you using it to shave?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:52 AM
  #14
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Visors prevent an insignificant amount of severe injuries.

Full cages would be bad for the game. How are you supposed to face wash someone or jab someone in a post-whistle scrum if they're wearing cages? And less non-staged fights. Violence is a big selling point of the game. It would be a lot less fun to watch without it.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:03 PM
  #15
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,595
vCash: 500
I can see why people want to make visors mandatory, but I also think it should be up to the player. If someone doesn't want to wear it, then they are taking the risk.

That said, I think its stupid not to wear one. The risk of a career or life altering injury is just not worth it.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
  #16
Malarowski
Registered User
 
Malarowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 367
vCash: 822
I think leaving it up to players is fine. They react to things when they get scared. Look at the huge number of people that started wearing Kevlar socks after Karlsson got his Achilles tendon sliced. I would expect the number of visors to go up after the Staal hit.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:23 PM
  #17
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
I think leaving it up to players is fine. They react to things when they get scared. Look at the huge number of people that started wearing Kevlar socks after Karlsson got his Achilles tendon sliced. I would expect the number of visors to go up after the Staal hit.
Yeah, there'll be some new visors in use the next few games. Some will keep them, some will remove them after a few games.

There are some players where if they wear a visor it fogs up constantly, and they don't want to have to keep wiping it down (And if it's fogging and being wiped, then they're going to be looking through a dirty visor)

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:30 PM
  #18
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Country: England
Posts: 3,831
vCash: 500
This isn't solely up to the players. It reflects poorly on the sport. The NHL doesn't want to endure the same scrutiny the NFL does in regards to injury. This is a business and it's the employees job to make their respective owners money. Expect mandates shortly. Grandfathering in current players is a fair compromise though. The same argument was had in regards to helmets and pads.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
  #19
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen
 
Miamipuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Take a Wild Guess
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
How often were you using it to shave?
Woo sick burn.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:35 PM
  #20
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamipuck View Post
Woo sick burn.
Ya like that huh butterfingers Mcgee?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:35 PM
  #21
JeremyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
This might be an odd question, but are NHL players currently permitted to wear a full cage if they chose to? The only time I've seen them is when a guy is healing from a severe facial injury (how ironic since the cage would've prevented the injury from occurring).

To those that believe wearing a visor or cage should be up to the players, do you believe wearing any helmet at all should be up to individual players? If you think helmets should be required, don't you think you probably would've had the same opinion about helmets before they were required that you have now about visors just because that's what you were accustomed to at the time?

I think it's better for the game to avoid serious injuries to very talented players than it is to preserve such trivial aspects of the game like face scrubs after the play.

As for the impact on fighting, I don't understand why more players don't remove their helmets as an accepted part of initiating a fight. What do they get out of destroying their hands punching eachothers helmets and visors?

JeremyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
  #22
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNYR View Post
This might be an odd question, but are NHL players currently permitted to wear a full cage if they chose to? The only time I've seen them is when a guy is healing from a severe facial injury (how ironic since the cage would've prevented the injury from occurring).

To those that believe wearing a visor or cage should be up to the players, do you believe wearing any helmet at all should be up to individual players? If you think helmets should be required, don't you think you probably would've had the same opinion about helmets before they were required that you have now about visors just because that's what you were accustomed to at the time?

I think it's better for the game to avoid serious injuries to very talented players than it is to preserve such trivial aspects of the game like face scrubs after the play.

As for the impact on fighting, I don't understand why more players don't remove their helmets as an accepted part of initiating a fight. What do they get out of destroying their hands punching eachothers helmets and visors?
You need league permission to wear anything other than a standard visor and only for a specific injury.

The reason that you don't want to remove your helmet in a fight is the danger of hitting your head on the ice which is worse than any punch.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
  #23
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
You know, my dad brought up a really good idea. Due to the fact that players hate visors because it affects the way they see the game and perform, leave the current players and prospects, etc... the way they are.

But what should happen, is that at the youth levels, including college and Juniors, visors should be mandatory, starting at a specific age, right now. For example, make visors mandatory for all 13 year olds, that way players grow up wearing them all their life and no adjustment would need to be made.

Much like when helmets were introduced to the game. Wasn't mandatory, but was eased into the game through the next generation, eventually becoming mandatory as it became no big deal to the players because it was what they grew up with and were used to. Do the same with visors?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
  #24
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
You know, my dad brought up a really good idea. Due to the fact that players hate visors because it affects the way they see the game and perform, leave the current players and prospects, etc... the way they are.

But what should happen, is that at the youth levels, including college and Juniors, visors should be mandatory, starting at a specific age, right now. For example, make visors mandatory for all 13 year olds, that way players grow up wearing them all their life and no adjustment would need to be made.

Much like when helmets were introduced to the game. Wasn't mandatory, but was eased into the game through the next generation, eventually becoming mandatory as it became no big deal to the players because it was what they grew up with and were used to. Do the same with visors?
This is already essentially in place. There is no level of hockey below the pros where you aren't required to wear either a face shield or a visor.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:24 PM
  #25
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
You know, my dad brought up a really good idea. Due to the fact that players hate visors because it affects the way they see the game and perform, leave the current players and prospects, etc... the way they are.

But what should happen, is that at the youth levels, including college and Juniors, visors should be mandatory, starting at a specific age, right now. For example, make visors mandatory for all 13 year olds, that way players grow up wearing them all their life and no adjustment would need to be made.

Much like when helmets were introduced to the game. Wasn't mandatory, but was eased into the game through the next generation, eventually becoming mandatory as it became no big deal to the players because it was what they grew up with and were used to. Do the same with visors?
That's why there's more players coming into the NHL wearing visors now.

There's always some players who don't like them, others who feel they shouldn't wear them because of their playing style, and some who have severe problems with a visor (like the ones who have to constantly wipe down the visor, I doubt any player is going to put up a visor fogging up on them).

This isn't a rec league. A foggy visor is much more dangerous to a player's career then the small risk of a visor-preventable injury.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.